/* */

PDA

View Full Version : serving drinks while fasting?

innocent
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Salam alaikum and Ramadan Kareem to everyone. Hope all your prayers are answered and all deeds are accepted.

We are thinking of having some work done in our front garden inshAllah. I just wondered if it was ok to serve drinks to the workers during the day during Ramadan or is it haram?

JazakAllah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam and Ramadan kareem to you too, sis.

It's okay to serve drink or food for the workers if they are non-Muslim who do not fast. there is no prohibition for it.

عابر سبيل
07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Wa alaikumussalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh, Ramadaan Mubaarak.

I don't know if there is a difference of opinion on this matter, but from what I have read, it is forbidden even if they are non-Muslims.

See:

http : //islamqa . com/en/ref/78494/

I have to type the link like that because otherwise it doesn't allow me to post it.

Relevant part:

With regard to your question, you should note that it is not permissible for you to offer food to anyone to eat during the day in Ramadaan, unless he has an excuse that allows him not to fast, such as one who is sick or is travelling. There is no differentiation between Muslims and kaafirs in this matter. The Muslim who is not fasting is commanded to fast, so he is sinning by not fasting. Enabling him to eat and drink during the day in Ramadaan is helping him in sin and transgression. The command to fast and all other rulings are also addressed to the kaafir, but before that he is required to utter the Shahaadatayn (the twin declaration of faith) and enter Islam. On the Day of Resurrection the kaafir will be punished for his kufr and for the laws of Islam that he did not follow, so his punishment in Hell will be increased.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The correct view which is followed by the majority is that the minor issues of sharee’ah are addressed to the kuffaar, and silk is haraam for them as it is haraam for Muslim men. End quote.

Sharh Muslim, 14/39.

Scimitar
07-10-2013, 07:01 PM
for real?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sir Fluffy
07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
This is bizarre. I can not imagine the thought of being a contractor and not having access to water but most likely they bring their own as I have known them to do.

I do admit that holding a nice cup of soda in your hand is quite tempting :D. I tried fasting once. I just could not do it

HasanBrah
07-11-2013, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by عابر سبيل

I don't know if there is a difference of opinion on this matter, but from what I have read, it is forbidden even if they are non-Muslims.

See:

I have to type the link like that because otherwise it doesn't allow me to post it.

Relevant part:

With regard to your question, you should note that it is not permissible for you to offer food to anyone to eat during the day in Ramadaan, unless he has an excuse that allows him not to fast, such as one who is sick or is travelling. There is no differentiation between Muslims and kaafirs in this matter. The Muslim who is not fasting is commanded to fast, so he is sinning by not fasting. Enabling him to eat and drink during the day in Ramadaan is helping him in sin and transgression. The command to fast and all other rulings are also addressed to the kaafir, but before that he is required to utter the Shahaadatayn (the twin declaration of faith) and enter Islam. On the Day of Resurrection the kaafir will be punished for his kufr and for the laws of Islam that he did not follow, so his punishment in Hell will be increased.

The correct view which is followed by the majority is that the minor issues of sharee’ah are addressed to the kuffaar, and silk is haraam for them as it is haraam for Muslim men. End quote.

Sharh Muslim, 14/39.
I was not aware of this brother. Thanks for the information. You learn something new everyday :statisfie

greenhill
07-11-2013, 05:05 AM
The command to fast and all other rulings are also addressed to the kaafir, but before that he is required to utter the Shahaadatayn (the twin declaration of faith) and enter Islam.
Yes I can accept this as the Islam and the Quran is sent for all mankind, whether they want to accept it or not. What Allah requests from us is what He requests from us and those who follow are 'believers' and those who do not are 'non believers' and everyone will face the consequences of their choices.

This info makes me reconsider my thoughts, very similar to what Brother Ardianto has said,

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
It's okay to serve drink or food for the workers if they are non-Muslim who do not fast. there is no prohibition for it.
Personally I do not believe that I am helping the unbelievers in their transgression if they are not believers and they are not fasting and they will never fast and they would be eating and drinking anyway. I have many times served refreshments to people not fasting or sit in a discussion with them while they eat, drink and smoke. I find that I am not really challenged, and was pleased with myself for not being tempted. It is part of the islamic hospitality, I always believed.

But with the above note, I will be more refrained. There is no need for me to extend myself in that manner anymore. (Better safe than sorry).

عابر سبيل
07-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Jazaakumullahu khair.

The most interesting thing above was what I saw from An-Nawawi, when he said the majority consider that acts of worship/rules of Islam to be addressed to disbelievers as well. So I was thinking about that and a few verses popped into my head that really seem to support this idea. I'm not giving a fatwah or anything, but just food for thought, these are the verses I thought of:

(39. Except those on the Right.) (40. In Gardens they will ask one another,) (41. About criminals (and they will say to them): ) (42. "What has caused you to enter Hell'') (43. They will say: "We were not of those who used to offer the Salah,'') (44. "Nor did we feed the poor;'') (45. "And we used to speak falsehood with vain speakers.'')

-Al-Muddathir

(42. The Day when the Shin shall be laid bare and they shall be called to prostrate themselves, but they shall not be able to do so.) (43. Their eyes will be cast down and ignominy will cover them; they used to be called to prostrate themselves, while they were sound.)

-Al-Qalam.

The above seem to indicate that really these acts of worship/prohibitions were addressed to them, and their speech indicates they will regret not having done them. The last one states clearly they were called to make sujood on Earth when they were sound, but they never did.

glo
07-11-2013, 07:55 PM
As part of my work with people who have learning disabilities I also do home visits.
On several occasions have I visited Muslim families during Ramadan and have always been offered food and/or drink. I have always been reluctant to accept it, because I knew that they themselves were fasting - but they were always very insisting. :)

I have always been very humbled by the generosity. :statisfie

sister herb
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
^^ I think that many ordinary muslims do in kind of situation what they feel in they hearts is right to do, not what it is saying in some hadiths. Remember that not all muslims, not even born muslims, have read all hadiths.

ardianto
07-11-2013, 08:42 PM

See:

Relevant part:

Sharh Muslim, 14/39.
Here the question

I am living in a foreign land and I have a small restaurant. I see some Muslims who are not fasting – and there are many of them – who want to eat in my restaurant during the noon hour. What is the ruling on selling food to these people who are not fasting, and selling food to non-Muslims?.

If I were a restaurant owner I would not open my restaurant in Ramadan day, follow what Ulama in my place have said. It's for prevent those who do not fast without excuse to eat in my restaurant.

But Ulama in my place never forbid Muslims who are fasting to give drink or food to non-Muslims who thirsty or hungry.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!