/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Muslims enjoys peace and spirituality of the sacred month

Taabuu
07-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Source: http://www.arabnews.com/

The first Ramadan fast is exciting. The experience is much more exciting for men and women who have just converted to Islam and are beginning their first fasting experience in their 40s. What do new Muslims say about Islam and Ramadan? How did they perceive Ramadan before their conversion to Islam? What are their feelings now that they have become Muslims?
I USED to make fun of Ramadan and the notion of Islamic fasting. I used to ridicule those Muslims who torture their bodies by fasting,” said Marcos-now-turned-Ahmed Moamen.
“I lived in the UAE for nine years as a traditional Christian who irregularly goes to Church. For me and my colleagues, Ramadan was a nightmare. It was a month in which we were all confined to our homes as all bars remain shut,” he recalled.

“This was not the only thing I detested about the Ramadan fast, but also this tough treatment of both body and soul. I used to believe the body has desires that should be met. Therefore, I only perceived of fasting as an unjustifiable and illogical torture,” Moamen, a Filipino, said, recalling what he termed as the “bad” old days.
“The Almighty Allah guided me to Islam. I had a long time roommate, who once converted to Islam, tried hard to lure me into it. He used to discuss Islam and gave me some translated books about the faith until the Almighty finally opened up my heart. And here I am having my very first fasting experience in Ramadan,” Moamen said.
“After Allah guided me to Islam and after having fasted several days of Ramadan, I found out that all my previous ideas about the rights of one’s body were not true and that straightening our bodies once a year is of great wisdom. That is why Allah ordered us to fast one month of the year and not the whole year,” said Moamen of his new spiritual experience with Ramadan.
“It [fasting] brings the Muslim closer to Allah. I do not exaggerate if I say that I feel a serenity I have never before felt in my entire life,” Moamen concluded.
Abdul-Rahman Yousef, a Lebanese who was named Tony before embracing Islam also experienced his first Ramadan.
Sounding delighted about the new fasting experience, Yousef said he was overwhelmed by joy and that fasting helped him feel the serenity that only fasters enjoy.
“Ever since Allah guided me to Islam, I’ve become used to the habit of fasting every Monday and Thursday [following in the footstep of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to make up for my sins which I committed before Islam,” he said.
“But, fasting in Ramadan is a totally different experience because the holy month has its own sense of spirituality and serenity that is absent from other days and months,” Yousef asserted.
“Even prayers in Ramadan are different from the usual prayers,” he said, adding that Allah magnifies the good deeds of Muslims in Ramadan and spares them from Hell.
Yousef lamented having wronged Islam and Muslims in the past, especially during the civil war in Lebanon, and prayed to Allah the Almighty to forgive his previous bad deeds. Carol Anoi was brought up in a Protestant Scottish family. She spent her childhood in the countryside which gave her a chance for contemplation and meditation.
After she finished school in London, she got a job in a UAE hotel and spent several years there until she got involved with an Arab Muslim.
“I loved him so much and he started talking to me about Islam. I began with him a search journey. We read most of the books on Islam in English,” said Carol-turned-Fatma Al-Zahra Mohammad (the name of one of Prophet Muhammad’s daughters).

“I realized that Islam is the right faith that dignified the human being and catered for the rights of man, woman and child,” she stressed. “I found it a religion in harmony with human nature,” Fatma said.
“When I read the holy Qur’an, I found answers to all questions haunting my mind and soul. Eventually, I converted to Islam and we (she and her Arab Muslim friend) got married,” she recalled.
“As for Ramadan, I cannot describe to you how delighted I am to fast Ramadan this year. “Ramadan’s atmosphere makes us feel closer to Allah. And since it is a month of worship, we are keen on getting closer to the Almighty through prayers,” Fatma added.
“I cannot describe my happiness while performing Tarawih prayers with many other Muslim women,” she said, lamenting that in ordinary days one would not find so many worshippers in prayers.
Amnah Jordon, once a Caroline Jordon, from South Africa said it was that unique peace reflected in the body movements during prayers that attracted her to Islam in the first place. “Fasting is a fine way of spiritual and psychological elevation and these were the things that guided my way into Islam,” said Amnah.
“Fasting and Ramadan are the most joyful religious rituals and the closest to my heart,” she added.
“I spent years of my life searching for a way for spiritual satiety. I adored contemplation sessions and read a lot in oriental philosophy but never reached satisfaction,” she underlined.
“I completed my study in the UAE and happened to live by some Muslim neighbors who always performed their prayers by the book.
“I used to sit and watch their Rukou’a [kneeling] and Sujoud [the position when a Muslim worshipper’s head touches the ground during prayers] and it was very touching because Rukou’a and Sujoud are magnificent body and spiritual sport,” Amnah said.
She recalled performing prayers and practicing Rukou’a and Sujoud even before converting to Islam.
“I felt a kind of serenity I have never experienced before, and since that very moment I began a quest to explore Islam until Allah guided me into becoming a Muslim and I was overwhelmed by spiritual peace,” Amnah concluded.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
07-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Interesting thread.

format_quote Originally Posted by Taabuu
Rukou’a and Sujoud are magnificent body and spiritual sport,” Amnah said.
She recalled performing prayers and practicing Rukou’a and Sujoud even before converting to Islam.
“I felt a kind of serenity I have never experienced before,
Nothing to do with fasting but it's great that this was also added. For us born muslims this is something we all supposed to have learnt from young. So the idea of prostration in total submission is sort of indoctrinated. For those 'reverts' as it's called here, it must be kind of an 'alien' experience.

Apart from al Fatihah, the other part(s) of the solat which I do try to 'own' will be the part where we sit between the sujuds, and the Tahiyyat. The 'sit' is where we ask our Sustainer good things for ourselves. Take your time.. Hopefully then you will 'feel' why you sujud and ruku'. To ask for the things mentioned in the sit position. Allahu'alam. Just a share

Peace :shade:

سيف الله
05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Salaam

Another update
They've killed off marriage - and our hopes of a happy life

Marriage died last week after a long illness. There will still be weddings, of course. But they won’t mean anything any more. They’ll be like those certificates saying you are ‘Lord of the Manor’ which gullible Americans buy.

The whole point of marriage was that it was binding for life – ‘for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death us do part’.

That is what made it such a fortress against other influences. The State couldn’t break into it. It was a small, private place where we were sovereign over our own lives.

Either you like this or you don’t. I believe that raising children as well as we can is the central purpose of our lives. I also think that lifelong marriage is the best way of doing it, and of ensuring that we do not run away from it, as many of us are inclined to do.

I also think the greatest test of character most of us will face will come when a husband or wife falls ill and becomes dependent on us. Marriage, by leaving us no choice in this, actually makes it easier.

But in the late 1960s, Britain and most other Western countries introduced divorce laws that hollowed out the marriage oath.

Since then, if either spouse wishes to break the solemn marriage promise, the State and the law actively take that spouse’s side.

If the other half of the marriage wishes to stay married, he or she can in the end be removed from the home by force, with the threat of prison.

I am still amazed that this totalitarian change came about with so little protest.

Now the very sharp and influential Sir James Munby, senior judge in the English family courts, has said that couples should be able to end a marriage simply by signing a form at a register office, with no need for lawyers or judges.

And, being smart, he has also urged the next obvious step – that cohabiting couples should be treated as if they are officially married once they have stayed together for a couple of years.

After all, why not? There’s no important difference any more. Official forms long ago stopped referring to ‘husband’ or ‘wife’, and those who cling to these archaic terms are frequently told by bureaucrats that they are now in fact ‘partners’.

I think Sir James will get his wish. And everyone will be happy, happy, happy – except the growing multitude of children who have never known domestic security and now never will, and the lonely, confused old men and women with nowhere to turn but the doubtful comforts of the care home, where their lives can dribble away in a medicated haze, perhaps punctuated by slaps and insults.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.....html#comments

سيف الله
05-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Salaam

Good video on the breakdown of the family system in the UK

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
سيف الله
05-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Salaam

Another interesting video on the state of marriage.

Dr. Helen Smith joins Steve to discuss her new book, "MEN ON STRIKE WHY MEN ARE BOYCOTTING MARRIAGE, FATHERHOOD, AND THE AMERICAN DREAM - AND WHY IT MATTERS," on how American society has become anti-male and men are sensing the backlash and both consciously and unconsciously going "on strike."

​

ChosenOne
06-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Brothers and Sisters, please watch this lecture.

Lets pray all together that Allah gives us guidance. Ameen.

سيف الله
07-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Salaam

A comment from Andrew Richards on the breakdown of the family system in America.

Society wonders how we could reach a place where the destruction of the family unit could be so commonplce and so rampant, yet this is precisely where it starts. Feminists claim this is a good thing, wanting women to be held to the same sexual standards as men – yet what they fail to recognise is that the sexual standards we hold men to are utterly toxic, self decrecating and full of disrespect of the self and the sexual identity of the self.

Sex has ceased to become the highest form of intimacy with another person, the giving of ourselves to another person, to be shared only with someone worthy of it and has instead become nothing more than a methphorical syringe to pump the body full of its latest fix of Endorphins and Adrenaline.

Relationships are equally cheapened – the idea is that the wedding is all that matters- that you have a string of hookups, then the wedding, then what; you divorce after a few mionths like you’re returning something you bought when you wish to return?

And we wonder why society is going to hell in a handbasket, with broken families and wounded and rudderless kids.

It’s clear that so many people out there should probably never get married or get a personality transplant before they do – preferably one which removes the spoiled brat from them. There’s a reason why traditional marriage vows have people making those vows in sickness and in health, in wealth and in poverty and when things are good and when things are lousy; marriage is life and live is no fairy tale – it is never perfect.

People are going to get sick which will put a strain on a marriage. People are going to have things happen like losing their jobs and losing their homes. People are going to go through tough times in life. Even the modern invention of romantic love views marriage as something you experience together – both the good and the bad – to grow together from the experiences in ways you could never do solo.

Yet the views in the article forego this for the notion of the “quickie divorce” and the narcissistic, non-existent fairytale.

Relationships are seldom easy and when taken seriously, our marriages are the longest relationships we’ll ever have. Dating isn’t just about what discovering what our tastes in other people are, but learning how to be in a relationship- and in the process about our own journey of personal growth into becoming the person we need to be, when we meet the person that we’ll want to marry and spend the rest of our lives with.

Yet this notion goes out the window when narcissists get so caught up in the notion of the spectacle of the wedding that they forget that it is meant to be a ceremony of commencement of what should be a journey which lasts the rest of our lives.

That perfect cake, that perfect venue and that perfect dress, wont magically take the pain of a husband or wife getting a terminal illness, stop the anguish of one partner developing an addiction nor magically make money woes go away.

So many people complain that the idea of lifelong marriage is unworkable, yet all too quickly forget the fact trhat garbage in=garbage out and that if you’re putting selfishness into a marriage, then you will get selfishness back and it will breed nothing but resentment alienation and disenfranchisement.

Our passive consumerist society ultimately instills one value into people- amoral, self-gratification-based narcissism; it teaches people that there’s such a thing as a fairytale happy ending (in fact it often tries to pass off some product as the ket to it), thatthe free lunch is there and they should look for it. The reality is though that there is no free lunch and there is no fairy tale – the only happy endings are the ones we make for ourselves and for each other. The values of love, caring, loyalty, fidelity, commitment and selflessness are the antithesis of passive consumerist culture, yet they are the key to a happy marriage.

The fact is that it’s high past time that we recognised that marriage isn’t the problem; the average person’s narcissistic attitudes are and that the only way we will ever get the family unit back and get society as a whole back, is if we stop approaching life as one giant exercise in self-gratification realse that a happy relationship is something you work and and earn (and the results make the effort more than worth it) and grow up.

http://dalrock.wordpress.com/2014/03...h-to-marriage/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!