/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salah Suras

faithandpeace
09-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Assalmu alaikum.

I am looking for suggestions on surahs to use for my salat. I am looking for one particularly easy to memorize (i.e. I don't think al-baqara is a good place to start :) for me). I have al-Fatiha down and have al-Ikhlas memorized but have been repeating al-Ikhlas for both raka'a in each salah which I do not believe is the correct procedure. I have a Qur'an with transliteration so I could pick any surah and read from it but I think it is more beneficial if I can do salat from memory as opposed to having to rely on reading. Any suggestions would be most helpful! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sir Fluffy
09-17-2013, 07:43 AM
This may be weird and I am not sure if this is even permitted but I can easily advice you on how to do salat.

I spend lots of time in masjid and I have memorized 7 suwar as of now. I stopped at 7 just because it is a lucky number in Nippon :D

FYI, one of the 7 is al-Baqara :nervous:

faithandpeace
09-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Jazakallah khair.

Alhamdulillah! Seven surat memorized including al-Baqara! Perhaps you could consider becoming a hafiz. :) As to salat in general I feel that I more or less have the basics down. I am attending a basics of Islam class at one masjid and they are now going over salat and I am also in a sisters halaqa at another masjid and they are planning on going through it step-by-step and insha'Allah will be having even a sister hafiz teach us.

What I have been doing with my salah is reciting al-Fatiha as is normally done for all raka'a but then for the first two raka'a of each salah I just do al-Ikhlas for both of them. But any advice you do give is greatly appreciated. :)

Signor
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Waalikum Assalaam

HERE are three Surah,each consists of three Ayahs which I hope are easy to remember Insha Allah

http://quran.com/103
http://quran.com/108
http://quran.com/110

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
:wa:

try to memorize short one like chapter 108 , only 3 verses . Also few short lines from Sura Rahman * chapter 55 are easy to memorize.

ism
09-17-2013, 09:09 PM
You dont have to memorize a whole surah, you can memorize a minimum of three short ayah. Amongst the mentioned, The Four Quls are pretty easy to memorize, as the endings of each from the Surah, more-a-less rhyme.

You can memorize three ayah from one surah, and once you're comfortable with it, next time try four ayah from that surah, and then five, and then six etc etc and as soon as you know it you'll learn the whole surah.

Sir Fluffy
09-18-2013, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by faithandpeace
Jazakallah khair.

Alhamdulillah! Seven surat memorized including al-Baqara! Perhaps you could consider becoming a hafiz. :) As to salat in general I feel that I more or less have the basics down. I am attending a basics of Islam class at one masjid and they are now going over salat and I am also in a sisters halaqa at another masjid and they are planning on going through it step-by-step and insha'Allah will be having even a sister hafiz teach us.

What I have been doing with my salah is reciting al-Fatiha as is normally done for all raka'a but then for the first two raka'a of each salah I just do al-Ikhlas for both of them. But any advice you do give is greatly appreciated. :)
I have echoic memory so it is very easy for me to remember sounds which made memorizing a surat quite easy. The issue is that I am not skilled in tahwid yet alone abide by the qira'at for proper recitation.

If I memorized any more of the Qur'an I would become the first non-Muslim hafiz (:nervous: keep this a secret).

Nonetheless I recommend anyone to memorize al-Baqara as it is a beneficial surat. It is the 2nd surat in the Qur'an and 87th for the time of wa'hiya.

But nonetheless I recommend you to learn your classical Arabic and get trained. I am just semi trained (:nervous:). Also try to practice dhikr as it is an amazing spiritual practice

Peace out bro.

anisafatima
09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Salam, it is quite true that some people remember a verbal speech more easily than a textual speech. Hence, it could be very effective medium for memorization.

faithandpeace
09-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Jazakallah khair for everyone's suggestions. Alhamdulillah, I have memorized Al-Kawthar (108). :) Insha'Allah I will memorize a few more including surat 103 and 110 as has also been suggested here. Then I can do my salat by reciting a mix of various portions of the Qur'an after Al-Fatiha. :)

Question to Sir Fluffy: So what is it that draws you to Islam but does not draw you to embracing Islam as your deen (religion)? You seem to find great benefit in Qur'an memorization, going to masjid, and other aspects of Islam. Just curious what is holding you back from taking it a step further and embracing Islam? I have to say I am quite amazed that you have memorized Al-Baqara. I am sure most Muslims cannot say that about themselves.

Sir Fluffy
09-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Question to Sir Fluffy: So what is it that draws you to Islam but does not draw you to embracing Islam as your deen (religion)?
Some people like myself stand unconvinced that Islam is holy or divinely manifested. It does not mean that I look down on it, I prefer it over other religions and I have tangled with all the known ones and despised ones(I shall not even speak the names).
I know enough Arabs and Muslims to understand Islam and even have moderate Arabic skills(I reformed the English alphabet into Arabic for fun).

I do not agree with everything Islam has to offer nor what any religion has to offer. I just prefer Islam more then others.

You seem to find great benefit in Qur'an memorization, going to masjid, and other aspects of Islam.
I also find great benefit in 8 ounces of straight bourbon before sleep on a Friday night. Sort of a conflict if you look at it.
Having Muslimish habits does not make me fit to be a Muslim although you could call me a mu'min by Qur'anic definition and its after remarks of what makes a man a believer.

Yes I find immense gratitude in going to masjid, mosques, reading and listening to the Qur'an along with other things.
Something I am afraid to say as it may come out as blasphemous considering the Qur'an speaks much of the munafiq'ina.

Just curious what is holding you back from taking it a step further and embracing Islam? I have to say I am quite amazed that you have memorized Al-Baqara. I am sure most Muslims cannot say that about themselves.
1) I often mess up when reciting al-Baqara.

2) I cannot recite it in proper form of Qira'at

3) I do not understand each and every ayah as although I may have an understanding of Arabic, my classical Arabic is quite poor.:embarrass

I am no hafiz........except when I dream. Dreaming is always good, right :D

faithandpeace
09-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Salaam. Please do not think you are a munafiq because I do not believe that is the case. In Islam, "there is no compulsion in religion." So you are absolutely free to remain a non-Muslim and still accept the parts of Islam that you find benefit from. If hearing Qur'an recited, going to masjid, memorizing Qur'an, etc. is something you find benefit from then there is nothing wrong with doing any of those things as a non-Muslim. There is no compulsion either way in Islam. You don't have to be sin-free to embrace Islam and at the same time you can adopt Islamic values, practices, etc. but remain a non-Muslim if you choose. :) And Allah (swt) knows best.

Sir Fluffy
09-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Salaam. Please do not think you are a munafiq because I do not believe that is the case. In Islam, "there is no compulsion in religion." So you are absolutely free to remain a non-Muslim and still accept the parts of Islam that you find benefit from. If hearing Qur'an recited, going to masjid, memorizing Qur'an, etc. is something you find benefit from then there is nothing wrong with doing any of those things as a non-Muslim. There is no compulsion either way in Islam. You don't have to be sin-free to embrace Islam and at the same time you can adopt Islamic values, practices, etc. but remain a non-Muslim if you choose. :) And Allah (swt) knows best.
Most kindest words I have ever received today......and last week. OK perhaps this entire month ;D.

Scimitar
09-24-2013, 02:10 AM
wait, let me get this straight - you're not a Muslim, yet you like to recite Quran? Why? :)

Scimi

Sir Fluffy
09-24-2013, 02:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
wait, let me get this straight - you're not a Muslim, yet you like to recite Quran? Why? :)

Scimi

I will answer your question with another question....

Why not? Why not recite the Qur'an?

Why is it I do not jump off a building for the sake of it right now? I do not fear death so it would not bother me.

As a human being I will do whatever makes us feel good. We are hedonists at heart. Reciting the Qur'an makes me feel happy, peaceful and relaxed. Is that not good?

Just like jumping off a building would not make me feel good. Although I do not fear death I know I will die and end my life knowing I could experience more things while on this earth :).

Reciting the Qur'an, doing salat and listening to a shaykh lecture is something that benefits me hence I do it. Does it not do the same to you?

Scimitar
09-24-2013, 10:14 AM
indeed... you are preparing yourself for Islam, and the best part is - your justification process will lead you there in sha Allah, for it is HE who guides us.

I don't think anyone can do a better job of convincing you of the truth of Islam than you are already. I've been following your posts and it's your brutal honesty that will finally be your ultimate surrender to HIM - that's what i think.

in open admiration for someone who is truthful, even if it is against himself :)

Scimi

EDIT: you know what I really think?

I think your heart has already surrendered - but your mind hasn't - not yet :)

Signor
09-24-2013, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sir Fluffy
you could call me a mu'min by Qur'anic definition
Greetings Sir Fluffy

You are free to call yourself what you want,However.......

It was related by ‘Urwah Ibn Az-Zubair that `Umar ibn Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said:
“This surah was revealed in my presence and I myself observed the state of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when it was being revealed. When the revelation ended, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) remarked: ”On this occasion, ten verses have been sent down to me, that the one who measures up to them, will most surely go to Paradise.” Then he recited the beginning verses of this Surah.” (Ahmad)

Source

Surah Mu’minoon Ayat 1-11

1. Certainly will the believers have succeeded:
  2. They who are during their prayer humbly submissive
  3. And they who turn away from ill speech
  4. And they who are observant of zakah
  5. And they who guard their private parts
  6. Except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they will not be blamed -
  7. But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors -
  8. And they who are to their trusts and their promises attentive
  9. And they who carefully maintain their prayers -
  10. Those are the inheritors
  11. Who will inherit al-Firdaus. They will abide therein eternally.

Allahumma Rabbana Ja'alna Minhum,Ameen

Muhammad
09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh sister,

I am looking for suggestions on surahs to use for my salat. I am looking for one particularly easy to memorize (i.e. I don't think al-baqara is a good place to start :) for me). I have al-Fatiha down and have al-Ikhlas memorized but have been repeating al-Ikhlas for both raka'a in each salah which I do not believe is the correct procedure. I have a Qur'an with transliteration so I could pick any surah and read from it but I think it is more beneficial if I can do salat from memory as opposed to having to rely on reading. Any suggestions would be most helpful! :)
My humble suggestion would be memorising the last 2 surahs of the Qur'an, which come straight after surah al-Ikhlas. These are short, easy and have many virtues. They are sometimes referred to as Al-Mu'awwithatayn. We are taught to recite them (along with surah al-Ikhlas) at other times outside of Salah, such as before bed and in the morning and evening. They are also recited for protection against evil and seeking cure. You can read some of the hadeeths about their virtues in the tafseer of these surahs:
http://abdurrahman.org/qurantafseer/...113and114.html

Another surah is Al-Kafirun (chapter 109). Again, a short and easy surah. The Prophet :saws: would sometimes recite surahs Al-Kafirun and Al-Ikhlas in the 2 rak'ahs before Fajr and the two after Maghrib.

I will also add something else to memorise, which is verse 255 of surah Al-Baqarah (known as Ayatul Kursi), due to its tremendous virtues. It has been described as the greatest verse in the Book of Allaah! This is another really important verse for seeking protection against evil.

And Allaah :swt: knows best.

faithandpeace
09-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Jazakallah khair. I am really falling in love with Qur'an! :) It brings tears to my eyes at times when I hear the recitations. My niyyah has not been about becoming a hafiz but now I am very interested in at least moving toward gradual increased memorization even if having the entire Qur'an memorized is never reached. I feel like a whole new door has just been opened as originally I just was looking for something short to use with my salah but I do not want to stop and feel it is my duty to keep going. :) I just finished memorizing Al-Asr, so that brings four surat (Al-Fatiha-1, Al-Asr-103, Al-Kawthar-108, and Al-Ikhlas-112) into my memory. Taking a variety of suggestions here, insha'Allah I will work on Surah 110 next followed by Surat 113 and 114. After that, the plan is to pick some others between Surat 100-114 so that eventually insha'Allah I will have that whole (small) section of Qur'an memorized.

This brings other questions to mind. In masjid, I pray quietly with the other sisters so that nothing is audible (or so barely audible that even those directly next to me could not make out the words of my salah). At home privately though I pray out loud. I am wondering if this is correct? I am referring of course to those raka'a such as in Fajr, Maghrib, and Isha which are supposed to be done out loud. If in private, should it still be whispered or can sisters pray at normal indoor volume? I am also very sure that my pronunciation is on the weak side and my recitation in salah at home is not done in any kind of a proper form but is just said as I best understand it. I don't know how important this stuff is but while I am not stressing over these things in the deen, I would like to at least try to do things as close to the sunnah as possible. Any further insights are appreciated!

anisafatima
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Salam peace to all, not only Salah will save a human from hell but patience will also accompany it. That man has very high status in front of Allah Almighty (SWT) who performs patience (sabar) at the moment of misery.
“Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble- minded,” (2.45)

Muhammad
09-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Jazakallah khair. I am really falling in love with Qur'an! :) It brings tears to my eyes at times when I hear the recitations. My niyyah has not been about becoming a hafiz but now I am very interested in at least moving toward gradual increased memorization even if having the entire Qur'an memorized is never reached. I feel like a whole new door has just been opened as originally I just was looking for something short to use with my salah but I do not want to stop and feel it is my duty to keep going. :) I just finished memorizing Al-Asr, so that brings four surat (Al-Fatiha-1, Al-Asr-103, Al-Kawthar-108, and Al-Ikhlas-112) into my memory.
Ma-sha-Allah, that is great to hear. I think this is the goal we should all have - increasing memorising the Qur'an as much as possible, along with studying it and learning to recite it properly. It should not be that we set a low target of learning a small portion and become satisfied with that for the rest of our lives. The Qur'an is central in the life of a Muslim and we have to keep striving to improve our relationship with it. Every letter recited brings ten rewards, and there are so many blessings and virtues attached to this act of worship.

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr narrated that the Prophet (:saws:) said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: ‘Recite and rise in status as you used to recite in the world, and your position will be at the last verse you recite.’” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1646; al-Tirmidhi, 2914.

Some more amazing hadeeth: http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/35...ing-quran.html

Taking a variety of suggestions here, insha'Allah I will work on Surah 110 next followed by Surat 113 and 114. After that, the plan is to pick some others between Surat 100-114 so that eventually insha'Allah I will have that whole (small) section of Qur'an memorized.
I think this is a good idea. Having a particular section memorised will make it easy to keep track of what you have learnt and make its revision easier In-sha-Allah.

I am also very sure that my pronunciation is on the weak side and my recitation in salah at home is not done in any kind of a proper form but is just said as I best understand it. I don't know how important this stuff is but while I am not stressing over these things in the deen, I would like to at least try to do things as close to the sunnah as possible. Any further insights are appreciated!
I did not fully understand what you meant here. Keep practising the recitation and In-sha-Allah it will improve. It is good to get someone to listen to you so they can alert you to any errors you are making.

And Allaah :swt: knows best.

faithandpeace
10-01-2013, 04:43 AM
I am referring to tajweed. I don't know if it is any different for sisters than brothers or if it is the same. When I recite Al-Fatiha and any other sura in salah I just say the words with the best pronunciation as possible within my current ability but I don't say it with any kind of particular toning, length of words or length of pauses in between, or any kind of melody that would match the tajweed of an imam or recorded recitation. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to try to match that or if I can or should just say the words without melody.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!