/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Sunnahs and benefits of using the Miswak

ukhti_zahra
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmathullahi Wabarakathuhu!

Please take your time and read and pass it on to as many Muslims as you can In sha Allah!

Bismillah!

The use of Miswak is to purify your mouth and to please Allah. This was also a great Sunnah of our Nabi (ﷺ.) and yet a forgotten Sunnah today. Let us strive hard to practise this forgotten Sunnah and gain the best out of it In sha Allah! It is also stated in a Hadeeth:

The importance of Miswak in Islam.

"Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radi Allahu 'anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (ﷺ) said: 'Was it not for my fear of imposing a difficulty on my Ummah I would have ordered that the Miswak be used for every Salaat, and delay in Ishaa prayer '." (Bukhari)

"Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu 'anhu) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: 'Make a regular practice of the Miswaak, for verily, it is healthy for the mouth and it is a Pleasure for the Creator (i.e. Allah is pleased with the Muslim who uses the Miswaak)'." (Bukhari)

Hadhrat Ayesha (Radi Allahu 'anha) narrates that Rasulullah (ﷺ) said:The reward of Salaah (Prayers) is multiplied 70 times if Miswaak was used before it.

The Sunnahs and Adhaabs of using Miswak:

1. Whilst making Wudhu to clean the teeth with Miswak:

"Verily, the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ.) would use the Miswaak before making Wudhu (ablutions) whenever he arose from sleep, whether it be during the night or during the day." - (Abu Dawood)

Hassan bin ‘Atiyya (may Allah be pleased with him) states that: “Ablution is part of faith and using a Miswak is part of ablution.”

2. Miswak should not be longer than a span, the minimum distance is between the tips of the thumb and the little finger and it should not be thicker than a finger breath.

3. The Miswak should be held is such a manner that the small finger and the thumb are below the miswak and the remaining fingers on the upper side.

The virtues of using Miswak:

Nabi (ﷺ.) said: "A person who uses the Miswak regularly dies with the Kalimaah"

1. Miswak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste

2. Miswak sharpens memory power

3.Miswak elements slime

4.The use of Miswak creates a fragrance in the mouth

5. The use of Miswak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay

6.Miswak assists in eliminating toothache and prevents further increase of decay which has already settled

7.Miswak is a cure for headache:

‘Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) states that,: “There is a cure for every illness in Miswak besides death.”

8.Miswak creates Noor on the face of the one who continuously uses it

9.Miswak causes the teeth to glow

10. Miswak strengthens eye sight

11.Miswak assists digestion

12.Miswak clears the voice

13.The greatest benefit of using the miswak is to gain the Pleasure of Allah

Other times when the use of Miswak is Sunnah:

1. Before undertaking a journey and returning from a journey

2. Before the recitation of Qur'an:

Hadhrat Ali (Radi Allahu 'anhu) said: 'Verily, your mouths are the pathways of the Qur'aan (i.e. you recite with your mouth), therefore cleanse your mouth with the Miswaak thoroughly'. -(Ibn Majaah)

3. Before every meal:

"Abu Hurairah (Radi Allahu 'anhu) said: "I have used the Miswaak before sleeping, after rising, before eating and after eating, ever since I heard the Nabi (ﷺ.) advising so'.- (Ahmad)

4. Before reading a Hadeeth

5. After learning or teaching the virtues of Islam

6. When the mouth emits an odour

7. When experiencing pangs or hunger or thirst

8. For making Dhikr

9. Before entering any good gathering

10. Before and after leaving and entering ones House:

"Shuraih (Radi Allahu 'anhu) narrates that he asked Aisha (Radi Allahu 'anha) : 'What was the first thing Rasulullah (ﷺ.) did upon entering the house?'

Aisha (Radi Allahu 'anha) replied: 'Rasulullah (ﷺ.) would use the Miswaak'."- (Muslim)

11. Before sleeping and upon awakening:

"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ.) would use the Miswaak (regularly) prior to sleeping and after rising from sleep."- (Muntakhaab)

‘Aisha (Radi Allahu 'anha) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ.) said :“Never woke from sleeping at any time of the day or night without cleaning his teeth with a Miswak before performing ablution.”

12. Before every Salaah:

"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ.) would use the Miswaak at night time (i.e. Tahajjud time) after every two Rakaats Salaat he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) performed." - (Ibn Majaah)

Hadhrat Aisha (Radi Allahu 'anha) narrates from Nabi (ﷺ.) : “Two Raka’aats of Salaah after using the Miswaak is more beloved unto me than seventy Raka’aats without Miswaak.” (As Sunanul Kubraa)

May Allah give us the ability to practice this wonderful Sunnah out of love and sincerity and hoping for His reward!

Assalamu Alaykum Warahmathullahi Wabarakathuhu!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!