/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I really feel proud because I am a Muslim.

Kathrine321
10-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Islam is a very great and peaceful religion. Basic requirements of Islam is not very tough, just follow this Islamic some rules and regulation. As a new Muslim you will face any problems in your life. But, you just focused on your thinking level and believe on your Allah. As a new Muslim, you will have trouble keeping up with prayers every day, fasting during Ramadan, and the many other practices in this religion. Keeping up a good relationship with your family is essential. Try to avoid bringing up or taking part in controversial subjects regarding religion. Finding a teacher to bounce ideas off of is a great way to learn your deen (religion). The best thing to do is avoid these arguments at all costs. Islam is a very beautiful way of learning. I really feel proud because I am a Muslim.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
10-12-2013, 08:05 AM
:sl:

Sis, don't be proud to being Muslim because pride can make us fall into vanity. But be grateful to be a Muslim, and it will make us closer to Allah.

:)

ion that dinar
10-12-2013, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
:sl:

Sis, don't be proud to being Muslim because pride can make us fall into vanity. But be grateful to be a Muslim, and it will make us closer to Allah.

She has sent out a very loving message out to people, very nicely put. Stating that; Islam is simple, problems may still arise but keep on the straight way and remember Almighty Allah, that it may be difficult in the beginning, keeping a good relationship with parents, avoiding controversial subjects on religion and reflecting on well educated fellow muslims.

Being proud is completely halal in this case. To my judgement, boasting is something this person seems to be unfamiliar with.

No doubt that it is a good reminder in some cases, but very uncalled-for in many.

To be honest, this seems to be very essential to the religion. It's so enlightening to see a muslim, when going out for groceries, seeing a proud brother is nice. Really adds to my strength. It would be disrespectful to approach and confront him about his pride.

Indeed Islam is a very beautiful religion.

ardianto
10-12-2013, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ion that dinar
She has sent out a very loving message out to people, very nicely put. Stating that; Islam is simple, problems may still arise but keep on the straight way and remember Almighty Allah, that it may be difficult in the beginning, keeping a good relationship with parents, avoiding controversial subjects on religion and reflecting on well educated fellow muslims.

Being proud is completely halal in this case. To my judgement, boasting is something this person seems to be unfamiliar with.

No doubt that it is a good reminder in some cases, but very uncalled-for in many.

To be honest, this seems to be very essential to the religion. It's so enlightening to see a muslim, when going out for groceries, seeing a proud brother is nice. Really adds to my strength. It would be disrespectful to approach and confront him about his pride.

Indeed Islam is a very beautiful religion.
Jazakallah khayr, for your reminder.

Everyone may have different mindset. Proud of being Muslim according to me and according to sister Kathrine may different. It's just a misunderstanding.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
:salam: brothers,

You both have raised very good points.

I think in general terms, we try not to use the description of 'pride' in our deen - even if it is meant to refer to the 'positive' aspect of pride.

The reason being is that part of the essence of Pride, is a sense of being 'better than others'.

If we take Shaytaan into consideration - he was one of the most pious from all of jinn-kind. And it was pride and a feeling of being superior than Adam (as), that prevented him from prostrating to him on the command of Allah (subhanawataála).

Another reason is that pride, in all its forms, eventually becomes the means of feeding ones nafs/ ego.
We should always bear in mind that nafs and Shaytaan are our biggest enemies in this dunya - and so, even by means of 'good' pride, this can also lead to our downfall.

It is for this reason, that islam enjoins on us to always remain in a state of humility.
So no matter how high you may fly in your imaan/ your status in society/ your wealth, etc - we should remain down-to-earth.....we should always be in a state of gratitude to Allah for being blessed with this favor of being from the ummah of Muhammad (sallalahu alahi wasalam).

Sometimes muslims tend to look at others who are not yet believers with a sense of 'scorn' and with a sense that they have been saved from Jahannum just on account of being muslim at this present point in time, whilst everyone else around them is doomed for eternity.

However it may happen, that Allah can turn the situations completely, whereby the believer leaves this world in a disgraced state, and the disbeliever finds imaan and Allah is most pleased with him.
So, we should always keep ourselves in check with regards to this.

In addition, I recall a sheikh once describing how there are times when very pious ones, who despite doing everything correctly and not disobeying or displeasing Allah Ta’ala, suddenly experience a spiritual ‘low’. And they begin to wonder as to what has happened...
He advised that a person, experiencing such a spiritual ‘low’ should reason that there is great wisdom of Allah Ta’ala behind this state - otherwise it may be that pride enters the person’s heart and he begins to consider himself very great.

So even though there is goodness in saying 'I feel proud because I am a Muslim' (because it shows that there is love for the deen), I think a better way of describing ourselves will be to say:

'I feel blessed to be a Muslim - for it is only through Allah's mercy that I have been chosen for this ummah', or

'I am grateful to Allah to be Muslim' or

'I am pleased with Allah as my Lord, with Islam as my religion and with Muhammad (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) as my Prophet' (this is from one of the recommended remembrances of Allah to be recited in the mornings and evenings in shaa Allah'

^ In this way, we completely detach any ourselves from pride (which is a feeling that refers to ones self), and we transfer ownership of this great blessing to Allah Taala - to whom, alone belongs all praise.
And in shaa Allah, we protect ourselves from ever falling into this hidden trap of Shaytaan.

Alhamdulillah, I only sense happiness and goodness in the sisters message of being a follower of the deen of Muhammad (sallalahu alahi wasalam).
May Allah increase you in strength and knowledge my sister, and make you one of His true and sincere servants. Ameen.

:wa:

Muhammad
10-12-2013, 02:27 PM
:wasalamex

The following article (entitled, Should a Muslim be Proud?) might be useful to clarify what is meant by pride in this context:

http://www.islam21c.com/islamic-thou....VKLBAyDU.dpuf

Here is an extract:

The pride I am referring to here is the ‘feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from achievements, qualities, or possessions’, ‘Consciousness of one’s own dignity’[1], and ‘a sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.’[2] While honour is ‘a clear sense of what is morally right’[3], and ‘personal integrity; allegiance to moral principles.’[4]

This, clearly, is not the pride that is forbidden in Islam; rather this is historical pride and honour which the Prophet (peace be upon him) filled the hearts of the believers with, and which Allah defends His religion and its followers with, and with which the companions (may Allah be pleased with them) spread Islam to the expansive empires of their time with; a pride and honour with which Allah, the Mighty and Majestic defends Islam and the Muslims when they are accused of transgression, outlining the greater transgression of their opponents,

“They ask you about the sacred month about fighting therein. Say, "Fighting therein is great [sin], but averting [people] from the way of Allah and disbelief in Him and [preventing access to] al-Masjid al-Haram and the expulsion of its people there from are greater [evil] in the sight of Allah. And fitnah is greater than killing.”[5]

A pride and honour with which Salman Al-Farsi (may Allah be pleased with him) answered the polytheist who mockingly questioned the need for divine guidance in answering the call of nature. Rather than being embarrassed by Islam’s holistic teachings, he assertively replied, “Yes, indeed! He has forbidden us from facing the direction of prayer when urinating or defecating.”

A pride and honour with which ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) protested, “Are we not on the right path in this life and the Hereafter?’ To which the Prophet [peace be upon him] answered: “Of course you are! I swear by Allâh in Whose Hand my soul is, you are upon the truth in this world and in the Hereafter.” Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said in response, “Why then must we conduct ourselves secretively. I swear by Allâh Who has sent you with the Truth, we will leave our concealment and proclaim our noble cause publicly.”He then proceeded to march with the Muslims to pray openly at the Ka’bah at a time when the oppression and torture of the Muslims was at its height.

This pride in the religion of the Creator is without doubt a praiseworthy one and something that emanates from the honour that Islam demands,

“And to Allah belongs all honour, and to His Messenger, and to the believers”[6]

As for blameworthy pride, then that is ‘the quality of having an excessively high opinion of oneself’[7], and “arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.’[8] This is, of course, dispraised and more often than not based on nationality, wealth, status, intellect, being ‘Western’ etc. No less blameworthy is the lack of pride and honour in what has been divinely revealed to us from Islam; a defect which seems to be, in many cases, caused by an inferiority complex and something which causes Muslims to go on the defensive, bending over backwards to show the compatibility of Islam with Western values and ideals. The hijab thus becomes a mere expression of modesty similar to that which is displayed by nuns, jihad becomes a last resort and only applicable in self defence, polygyny becomes restricted by a host of conditions making it, for all practical purposes, an impossibility, and the Shari’ah is explained in a watered-down and liberalised model that is aspiration for dark-skinned people in far-off lands who have not tasted civilisation and the enlightenment that it brings to the mind...

Signor
10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Don't know why but this topic reminds me of this Hadith:

Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, would praise Allah the Exalted in his sermons with praise suitable for Him. Then he would say, “Whoever Allah guides, there will be none to mislead him; and whoever Allah misguides, there will be none to guide him. The most truthful speech is the Book of Allah the Exalted and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil affairs are newly invented matters, and every newly invented matter is an innovation and every innovation is in the Hellfire.”

Al-Asma wa-Sifat Al-Bayhaqi 140

ion that dinar
10-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Doesn't look like anyone was describing their deen with pride. Saying "I am a proud muslim" is an appropriate way to show gratitude over the internet. It doesn't forbid the onlookers from judging whether the person should be proud or ashamed for feeling that way.

On the other hand, isn't it inconsiderate to help someone on the subject of "pride" while talking about it as another thing than they felt was coming from the person?

Uncalled-for and unnecessary.

Nevertheless of course, it is important to know about humility. Another thing this thread starter seems to have no problem with.

So, by adding reasoning to our judgement, we can determine whether it is false pride or some sort of boasting pride, and according to this judgement we decide if it would be unreasonable/disrespectful or helpful to confront them about it.

It is nice that these reminders may have profited more than one person, but it wouldn't be correct to have people assume pride is something one should be warding off.

A lot of the times pride can be a stunningly beautiful reflection. Opposite to what Shaytan felt about himself.

Peace and blessings to everyone.

~Zaria~
10-13-2013, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ion that dinar

On the other hand, isn't it inconsiderate to help someone on the subject of "pride" while talking about it as another thing than they felt was coming from the person?

Uncalled-for and unnecessary.

Brother, the views expressed previously are a personal view-point.

As is that, which is mentioned in the article posted by brother Muhammad, and as is your own.

This is a public forum, and it is a platform to express our individual thoughts on different subjects freely, without being made to feel that they are 'uncalled-for and unnecessary'.

In islam, we often encounter differences of opinion, and unless they are in contradiction to Quraan and sunnah, we are encouraged to respect these differences.

If we all thought in the same manner on all topics, then there will be no need to have any discussions (because everyone will be having exactly the same viewpoints).

My personal teaching has always been to distance oneself from all aspects of pride (This is not to say that we adopt a 'victim' position when we portray our deen to others).
The examples presented in the article above have been described in terms of 'pride for the deen' by the author.
However, when I read the same examples, I view it as a state of absolute submission to Allah (rather than pride) that is being portrayed by the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) and the sahaba (ra).

I am not aware of any ahadith that directly encourages any form of pride.
And neither do any of the recommended zikrullah include such a manner.

In fact, if I were to repeat to myself: 'I am proud to be a muslim' often enough, I can feel a very different effect on my heart than if I were to place all praise outwardly upon Allah and say: 'I am completely grateful to be a muslim. I am such a sinful slave; I am not even worthy of such an honor.'

But perhaps this could be due to my own nafs being stronger and my heart being weaker than the rest.

^ These are just my personal thoughts on this topic.

May Allah guide us to all that is most pleasing to Him.
Ameen

:wa:

ion that dinar
10-14-2013, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Brother, the views expressed previously are a personal view-point.

As is that, which is mentioned in the article posted by brother Muhammad, and as is your own.
And that is completely acceptable, except if you don't imply this which you haven't. If one doesn't imply that their opinions on pride are simply random thoughts on it, it means that they're assuming the person needs help with it. On the other hand, pride itself is not evil. Of course it is unreasonable for a person to be proud on purpose.

This is a public forum, and it is a platform to express our individual thoughts on different subjects freely, without being made to feel that they are 'uncalled-for and unnecessary'.

Okay. So ones approach may be better than another persons?

If the topic maker seemed to need help because of obviously coming off excessively proud or unnecessarily proud as seems to be what is emphasized by several posters. Or as in some extreme cases, if they came off as a boasting ingrate.

At that point your teachings would be almost flawless. Because you should distinguish pride into all that it can be. There are moments when a woman or man may become proud automatically, seeing how corrupted other individuals may be, they then feel proud. But if a woman says she is proud, there is also a very high chance that she is really trying to indicate that viewers need to take that as a sign that she is not to be manipulated.

In islam, we often encounter differences of opinion, and unless they are in contradiction to Quraan and sunnah, we are encouraged to respect these differences.
Thank you for the teachings on Islam. May Almighty Allah increase the knowledge of all reasonable viewers.
If we all thought in the same manner on all topics, then there will be no need to have any discussions (because everyone will be having exactly the same viewpoints).
Of course, but at least that isn't the problem on this topic. No one said we should think the same nor are we doing it.

My personal teaching has always been to distance oneself from all aspects of pride (This is not to say that we adopt a 'victim' position when we portray our deen to others).
The examples presented in the article above have been described in terms of 'pride for the deen' by the author.
However, when I read the same examples, I view it as a state of absolute submission to Allah (rather than pride) that is being portrayed by the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) and the sahaba (ra).
It is a good reminder that pride can easily come off wrong, to be careful about it and so on. But that is something one should only remind someone about if it is appropriate for the given situation. Otherwise, one could use deeper reasoning and judgement and warn people for simply coming off mean/egotistical/foolish/evil/annoying. That would be a never-ending full time job.
I am not aware of any ahadith that directly encourages any form of pride.
And neither do any of the recommended zikrullah include such a manner.
That would be bad, as mentioned above, pride can go many different ways, and a few of them are completely acceptable. There is nothing to encourage about it, that is like saying "laugh for no reason, it's good for you".

In fact, if I were to repeat to myself: 'I am proud to be a muslim' often enough, I can feel a very different effect on my heart than if I were to place all praise outwardly upon Allah and say: 'I am completely grateful to be a muslim. I am such a sinful slave; I am not even worthy of such an honor.'
Those would obviously be insane or experimental characteristics repeating to oneself that they are proud, or even if they say it for any specific reason outside of perfect situations. Like smiling or laughing, do you do it if you shouldn't? It still wouldn't be too bad depending on whether it was uncalled-for/irritating or worse.

What was meant by "experimental characteristics" is that people may read about some "Law of Attraction" nonsense which may teach that repeating that phrase will bring them success.

One would and should always feel completely different between such behavior and the glorification of Almighty God's praises.

But on the other hand, as you are teaching others, there is a lot of potential that someone can be dumb enough to assume being proud in general is the way to go. That is just something that hopefully here on this thread isn't a needed advice but a profitable one which it clearly is.

But perhaps this could be due to my own nafs being stronger and my heart being weaker than the rest.
There is no doubt that you seem to be very loving and amazingly smart, your advice about pride is exactly how everyone should feel about it. But it seems that you have misunderstood my point of view.

May Almighty Allah bless you and everyone deserving of blessings.

Peace.

Kathrine321
10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Islam is a great religion and a great power of belief. Islam is clearly define about all relations and their rights. Beauty of all relations is also doing a base of a strong believe in Islam. Because Islam is a first and last leader to your all worries and expectations .Anyhow, Islam is a great religion for the all people and all problems can be solved through Islamic views. And really and truly I feel proud because I am a Muslim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!