/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question on pronunciation

Abdullah101
11-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Hello! I'm making this post today to inquire about the pronunciation of some Arabic words found in Al-Fatiha. Yesterday, I memorized the entire Al-Fatiha, but I do have trouble with a few words. Well, actually, the only words I have trouble pronouncing in Al-Fatiha are in verse 7, so let me write what I need help pronouncing:

Gayril (I have a Muslim friend, and he tried to help me say this word, but my American accent won't let me..)
Magzuubi
laz-zaaalliin

I tried to look up how to pronounce these words from people reciting the Quran, but they like sing the Arabic and it's not very clear. I can't quite understand how they say it ;/

My Quran's transliteration of verse 7:
Siraatal-laziina 'an-'amta 'alay-him---Gayril-magzuubi 'alay-him wa laz-zaaalliin

Thank you!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
11-17-2013, 05:16 AM
:sl:

ur status says u are an atheist ?

I bought a Quran learning CD where teacher utters the verses slowly and student repeats after him . It's easy to follow . U may try these CD for learners.

Abdullah101
11-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Soon to convert to Islam.
I never accepted Christianity, which is the religion of my family, but never denied there is a god.
I don't know what to call that, and I doubt there is an option for that, so I just put down "atheist"

greenhill
11-17-2013, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah101
Siraatal-laziina 'an-'amta 'alay-him---Gayril-magzuubi 'alay-him wa laz-zaaalliin
Just another reminder on 'r' in Arabic. There is no 'Ra' and it is pronounced as 'ro' (or in English it would be 'raw') so Rahman would be pronounced 'Rawhman' and Rahim would be pronounced 'Rawheem'.

Si-raw-Tol (Pronounced as 'tall' as in height) laziina an 'am (the an is not 3 (ain) so there is no nasal sound and the Magzuubi (the z should be a d) likewise the 'laz zaaliin' substitute for 'd' again, but not pronounced dalliiin, more like dolliiin.

Hope it helps.

Peace :shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdullah101
11-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks a lot! Now I just have to figure out how to pronounce "Gayril" lol.

greenhill
11-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Ha ha..

Gayrill I purposely avoided as it is not so easy to describe... My description would be to push the back of your tongue to the roof of your mouth and force a sound out of it. It should get a sound almost like you are clearing your throat. That is the sound for 'Ghoyril' if you get it.. :exhausted

Peace :shade:

Abdullah101
11-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks a lot! You've been quite helpful on the two posts that I've made.
جزاك اللهُ خيراً

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!