/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations?

Abdullah101
11-27-2013, 01:19 AM
I read somewhere that using abbreviations like PBUH, SAWW, ext. isn't the right way to do it, and that you should just type a bit more and do the full thing.
I'm just wondering if this is wrong (because to me in my logic, I love Allah, and his messenger (Peace be upon him), so people should have enough reverence to say the full thing instead of being lazy?)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
11-27-2013, 01:28 AM
I guess there is a point there and I am guilty of it, if that is the case.

Peace :shade:

Abdullah101
11-27-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm not trying to cause hate or point anyone out, I'm just asking f your not supposed to used abbreviations?
Your a cool dude, in my opinion. You've helped me out on almost (or probably all) of my posts. I've been needing to sincerely thank you. You've been quite a help, May Allah Reward you!

greenhill
11-27-2013, 03:28 AM
There is no hard and fast rules on it as far as I know, and it will ultimately boil down to intentions I suppose, but the real point is that if we fail to give blessings or salutations to our prophet(s) peace be upon them all, as we mention them, it is considered as though we are amongst the stingiest people (and Allah hates stingy people). Hence, the abbreviations are to acknowledge the blessings due to them.

In my humble opinion, as long as I do not fail to do so, however I do it, hopefully Allah will not label me as stingy, lazy perhaps...:embarrass

Peace :shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdullah101
11-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Your right man, intention means a lot. Thanks for the post man.

Insaanah
11-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Iiiwapialo,wtba? Wykwim?

No idea what that was?

Imagine if I wrote a post in abbreviated language only, would that be acceptable? Would you know what I meant?

Some people begin their posts AOA (meaning Assalaamu alaikum), with the rest of the post being in full. Perhaps the most important part of the post is the greeting, because the greeting is a command given to us in the Qur'an, but we abbreviate that and write everything else in full instead, just relying on the fact that others will know what we mean.

If we are writing, then yes, it's best if we write the blessings on the Prophet :saws: in full. You'll be pleased to know the forum has some abbreviated code. I'll put spaces in between, but if you type this, without any spaces : s a w s : you will get green Arabic writing, which says sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam (peace and Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, Salutations etc be upon him). You can find it in the forum smileys/emoticons. Again, sending blessings on him :saws: is a command in the Qur'an and hadeeth, so it is a very important part of the posts, that if nothing else, at least we do this. Yes, Allah knows our intentions, but we have to put our intentions into action as far as we can.

See these links too:

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=87365

http://islamqa.info/en/47976

And Allah knows best.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Abdullah101
11-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Thank you for that informative post!
(I didn't even realize that there was a "more" option, sigh.)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!