/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Contest Discussion Thread

faithandpeace
12-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Assalamu alaikum everyone.

In addition to the Writing Contest previously announced, we will also insha'Allah be having a Poetry Contest. Similar to the Writing Contest's guidelines, the following apply to the Poetry Contest:

This thread is for discussion and information on the Poetry Contest. Insha'Allah a separate thread will be created after the deadline to feature the poetry entries.

1. Poems can be about any topic, theme, or genre, but must not conflict with forum rules.

2. Poems must be the entrant's own work and must be in English. No plagiarism allowed.

3. Each entrant may submit only one poem.

4. Poems cannot have been posted already on this forum.

5. Poems should be a moderate length (not too long and not too short).

6. Poems should be submitted by private message to the host http://www.islamicboard.com/members/faithandpeace-34729.html (faithandpeace) which would be me in this case.

7. You will send your poems to me via private message. I will then insha'Allah create the thread for the entries and post the entries there after they have all been submitted and the deadline has passed. I cannot participate in the contest and cannot vote (as I will know who wrote what). Readers won't know who wrote what when they're voting. Please do not go around encouraging others to vote for you. It is not necessary to even announce at all that you will be participating.

8. Do not post your poem here or anywhere else on the forum (or anything to do with your poem) as the contest is supposed to be anonymous. Do not post the genre, the title, or even one sentence of it.

9. Poems can be edited and formatted prior to submission but the host will not alter or reformat the poem once it has been submitted.

10. The deadline is tentatively 6 February 2014 and this is the last day on which entries will be accepted. This date may be subject to change if necessary.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please share them here in this thread.

Take your time and make your entry the best it can be--really let your creativity loose.

Insha'Allah any updates to the Poetry Contest or further information will be provided.

Jazakallah khair to all who participate in the Poetry Contest and to the present and previous IB administrators, moderators, and members who have supported this contest including their ideas from which these points listed above are drawn from.

Let the drafting and writing of your poetry begin. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Well done to you for taking on the role!

Peace to you :shade:

جوري
12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
where and when can we submit poems? I have a few written :)

faithandpeace
12-07-2013, 02:03 AM
You can send the best one (the one you want for the contest) via private message to me insha'Allah as soon as you are ready. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
12-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Poll added! (It's anonymous)

faithandpeace
12-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Assalamu alaikum.

We are about two weeks out from the deadline so if you are thinking about submitting poetry please make sure insha'Allah to indicate that by responding to the poll that brother Muhammad added to this thread. Jazakallah khair to those who have already submitted theirs and to those who are still working on them. :)

Muhammad
12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
:wasalamex

I hope we will have more participants :ia:. Where are all the poets? :hiding:

faithandpeace
01-03-2014, 04:30 AM
The deadline has now been extended to 6 February 2014 insha'Allah.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
how many submissions do we have?

people remember - a good poem can truly enlighten our hearts - the greatest scholars of the past wrote heart rendering poetry.

try to raise your pens :)

Marina-Aisha
01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
i was thinking maybe....but im not that good lol

faithandpeace
01-08-2014, 05:17 AM
Assalamu alaikum. We have a small number of submissions so far. Do not worry if you think you are not the expert poet. This is supposed to be a fun contest, not a stressful one, and the Islamic rules of etiquette apply. So if you are debating submitting one for the contest, then just do it insha'Allah (by private messaging the poem to me) as you still have up to 6 February 2014 to let me know if you need to edit it, delete it, or use a different one if you wish. :)

greenhill
01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
a good poem can truly enlighten our hearts - the greatest scholars of the past wrote heart rendering poetry.
Kinda scary . . .:phew

;D

Muhammad
01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Around 2 weeks left to finish that heart-rendering poetry :ia:. I hope some of those 'maybes' have also decided to participate!

Muhaba
01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Writer's block

peace_maker
01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
What's the prize???

greenhill
01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Fame in this forum? :D

Scimitar
01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
Writer's block

:)

greenhill
01-23-2014, 02:42 PM
that sealed it ! ;D

Muhammad
01-23-2014, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Fame in this forum? :D
And possibly a cool signature... subject to availability.

faithandpeace
01-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Alhamdulillah. We have several entries now! If anyone still wishes to submit his or her poetry please send me a private message. We can always use a few more entries insha'Allah! Also, if anyone changes their mind to what they have already submitted and would like to edit their existing poem or enter a different one for the contest, please let me know also via private message. Once the deadline is reached which is 6 February 2014 then no more changes can be made. Jazakallah khair to those who have submitted poetry. I enjoy reading them and it looks like we have some great entries for the contest! :)

greenhill
02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
This seems at least to have 'lost' the suspense element to it. Is it happening, is it not? I take it that it is a "go". But this thread was way, way, way, down in the list.... time for a 'bump':bump1:

when is the deadline again?

:peace:

Muhammad
02-06-2014, 08:02 PM
The thread was a sticky but hasn't been posted in for a while so :jz: for the bump!

The contest is certainly a 'go', and the deadline is today (same as the writing competition).

Should be interesting :ia: :)

faithandpeace
02-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Assalamu alaikum everyone and jazakallah khair to all who participated in the Poetry Contest. We have received a total of five entries. They will be posted soon insha'Allah. :D

sister herb
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
:nervous:

I voted yes as I have wroted poems but my own language. Not sure how to translate them to English.

faithandpeace
02-08-2014, 05:59 AM
The poetry has been posted! :) See this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...t-entries.html

Insaanah
02-09-2014, 12:38 PM
:salam: and greetings to all

Jazaakillah khayr sister.

As per sister faithandpeace's post here, http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ml#post1606969 and as with the story writing contest, please note, that in the interests of fairness, and to make sure all participants are on a level playing field, any votes which authors cast for their own poems will not be counted when ascertaining the winner, as not all authors will deem it appropriate to vote for their own poems, and if some do, this gives them an advantage over others. Once the voting is closed, an admin will check to see if any self votes have been made, while not generally looking at who voted for which poem.

So get voting and commenting, and thank you to those who have participated and sister faithandpeace for hosting, as without you this would not have been able to go ahead.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!