/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do i assess the authenticity of my arabic teacher?

BeTheChange
12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Asalamualykum

After many enquiries, many months and asking i have found someone who is (an hour away from my home location) who can teach me the understanding of arabic.

Now all i need to do is 'interrogate' my dear sister authenticity.

What questions do i need to ask her to make sure she is teaching me in the correct manner?

She has studied in Bradford i believe that's all i know about my teacher at this moment in time.

I will be booking a one-2-one session with her just to get to know her and to make a decision whether i will continue learning.

So any suggestions, ideas and tips will be most welcome.

Jazahka Allah fellow net users.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sameer123
12-31-2013, 02:37 AM
wa alaikumussalaam.

Take some free classes for 3-4 days, if you think you are understanding the concepts then carry on other wise drop the course.

Ask her to start teaching you arabic through world famous books like, Madina books and Bayna yadaik etc. This is because there is a huge comminuty out there to help you out in these books.

BeTheChange
12-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Her charge for a 1-2-1 session is £20 which lasts an hour i believe. It is pricey considering it is also an hour away from me.

Need to consider the costs to drive down there too. I'll link up with her soon insha Allah see what her intentions are and what the course consists of.

Jazahka Allah for the advice. Much appreciated.

observer
01-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi, I'm an English teacher and would say that 20 pounds an hour is about normal for 1-2-1 language tuition in the UK, especially for a minority (in terms of teachers) language like Arabic. In larger cities, you tend to pay less as there is more competition.

In terms of courses, most teachers I know will do whatever the student wants in a 1-2-1 class. If you just want conversation for example or a specific kind of language (business, tourist etc.) then the teacher will adapt to the student's needs so have a clear idea of what you want when you go for the "interview".

As for "authenticity" - is there a recognised teaching qualification for Arabic? For example, for English teachers there are 2 basic qualifications - Cambridge CELTA and Trinity TESOL - and any English teacher really needs one of those. Check if there's an equivalent for Arabic.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BeTheChange
01-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Thank you observer,

That's very kind. I shall continue doing my research.

Thank you once again for your input.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!