/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What image do you have in your mind when you pray?

crimsontide06
01-20-2014, 04:31 AM
When I pray I try to focus on my prayer but it's hard when no one knows what God looks like.....I know I'm praying to God but..what am I supposed to have in my mind,as an image?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syed_z
01-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum and Jazak Allah khayr for this thread....

The Prophet (saw) said about Ihsaan in these words.. "It is that you worship Allah as though you see Him, for if you cannot see Him, He sees you."

The Prophet (saw) tried to explain us not about creating an image of Rabb, but to feel the presence of your Rabb when worshipping. The greater the feeling of presence is the greater will be the humbleness and humility.

THe Prophet (saw) Taught the following Dua, try reciting this:

Allahumma Aj Alni Akhshaka Ka Anni Araka Abadan Hatta Alkaka Was Idni Bi Taqwaka Wala Tushqini Bima siyatik

Oh Allah Make me fear you as if I see you all the time until I meet you, Make me blissful as a result of your Taqwa and do not make me wretched as a result of your disobedience.

Signor
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

It is better to concentrate on your recitation and memorize the meanings of Surahs instead of a visual.Adopt your own way of reciting softly without disturbing others(Hint:You can copy your favorite reciter). Plan what Surahs and Du'as you are going to recite before time.Try to find out what the exact meaning of the words that you are reciting and ponder over them while recitation.So they won't remain bunch of Arabic words!Focus on the nature of the prayer you are making.The clearer you are in your intention, the better your attention and concentration will be...

Muhaba
01-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Realizing that God is watching you when you pray can make a difference to the quality of the prayer. So try to do that whn you pray. Don't try to put an image of anything because you can't imagine God.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
01-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Could you focus on the sense of Allah's presence around you instead?

truthseeker63
01-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Good Topic.

Wynter
01-21-2014, 02:14 PM
When I used to be religious I never really focused on the image but more the words. I believed I was praying to something, and therefore I thought of my words and their meaning rather than an actual image.

greenhill
01-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Peace to you Wynter,

format_quote Originally Posted by Wynter
When I used to be religious
What changed it? :uuh:

It seems though you are still seeking an answer and I hope we here can offer different perspectives for you to ponder. . .

(sorry, slightly off topic)

:peace:

Wynter
01-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Eh, I was brought up in Christianity but I disagree with some of the teachings, and being Roman Catholic I've disagreed with the official organization a few times, over their actions.

So while I still.believe in A god, (not exclusively the Christian ideal) I decided it's more worthwhile trying to be as good a person as I can be. The answer I always look for is "What is the proper way to act?" Or 'What makes a good human being?' I'm trying to figure that out.

Those are questions whose answers I couldn't really accept from other religions, (accept meaning entirely.) So I decised to leave religion, and seek the answers to and act by those questions instead.

Sunnie Ameena
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
I am so happy to have come across this thread. I have the same problem. I tend to distract myself during prayer time because I tried to focus on what Allah looked like. After reading all the posts, I focused on what I was saying and it was so nice.

crimsontide06
01-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, good to know my thread helped someone else too

mr moon
01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
At OP

Maybe remebering the day of Qiyamah and the trials on that would be on that day woulf help. I once read that a helpful way would be to ponder that jannah is on your right... jahannam on your left... the bridge infront of you and the angels behind you.

M.I.A.
01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
i dont have anything in my mind when i pray.

i try not to get distracted.

but i get easily distracted by others, so when people pray loudly around me if i focus on them for even a second im lost.

but that only ever happens when im at work.. even thought the mosque is right opposite where i work.

format_quote Originally Posted by mr moon
At OP

Maybe remebering the day of Qiyamah and the trials on that would be on that day woulf help. I once read that a helpful way would be to ponder that jannah is on your right... jahannam on your left... the bridge infront of you and the angels behind you.
aw lawd, poor left handed people.

its a long running concept though, seen it used a lot in other things aswell as islam.

..not saying its not the truth though.

those that your right hands posses are lawful unto you. (might have just taken that out of context though)

but i do say salaam to both sides when i pray.. as do all people in the mosque.

Nur Student
01-27-2014, 05:09 PM
The perfection of your life is to perceive the lights of the Eternal Sun which are depicted in the mirror of your life, and to love them. It is to display ardor for Him as a conscious being. It is to pass beyond yourself with love of Him. It is to establish the reflection of His light in the center of your heart. It is due to this mystery that the Hadith Qudsi was uttered, which is expressed by the following lines, and will raise you to the highest of the high:

The heavens and the earth contain me not;
Yet, how strange! I am contained in the hearts of believers. (1)

Dipnot-1 See, al-‘Ajluni, Kashf al-Khafa’, ii, 165; al-Ghazzali, Ihya’ l-‘Ulum al-Din, iii, 14.

mr moon
01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.

its a long running concept though, seen it used a lot in other things aswell as islam.

..not saying its not the truth though.

those that your right hands posses are lawful unto you. (might have just taken that out of context though)

but i do say salaam to both sides when i pray.. as do all people in the mosque.
First of all... yes the quote is taken out of conext ... it actually is a translation of an arabic phrase which is used to imply those under ur resposibility.

And yes... left hand is used for the more unpleasent acts in life... which is by no offense whonare left handed.

Those who will be destined to hell will be given their book of actions in their left hand and those to heaven in their right.

M.I.A.
01-27-2014, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mr moon
And yes... left hand is used for the more unpleasent acts in life... which is by no offense whonare left handed.
lol you got me on that one. seems that your analogy stands true.

..i guess hell it is then

InToTheRain
01-27-2014, 09:46 PM
:sl:

I see the back of my eye lids but I don't think that's what you meant :D

I think it's important to communicate with your heart and know that Allah Most High is watching you; think about how you have just stepped into "reality" and throw away the delusions of this temporal life... easier said then done but practice makes perfect as they say.

crimsontide06
01-28-2014, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain
I see the back of my eye lids but I don't think that's what you meant
I think you are supposed to have your eyes open when you pray...looking down at a fixed point on the prayer rug/ground.

greenhill
01-28-2014, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
I am left handed . . .:embarrass

Over the years of having to use my right hand I have become ambidextrous. Now I can use the hammer with both hands, the saw and play most sports with both hands but snooker I play with my left. I skateboard facing the left, bowl with my right hand (weaker on my left) and sometimes have to think which hand I use.

:hmm:

syed_z
01-31-2014, 02:38 PM
*Sigh*

Sorry brothers...I had shared with some of you Muhammad Asad's Tafsir.

:( my Post of recommending Muhammad Asad's Tafsir 'Message of the Quran' was just deleted by the admins.

We Muslims, should take things with open mind and not shut our minds to all else. I would like to say that yes there are some things he has explained which are not correct, but that does not mean that we reject the 95% of his correct explanation which has much wisdom for mankind just based on the 5%. Allah (swt) Himself says to us about the Quran in the the following:

Give, then, this glad tiding to (those of) My servants who listen (closely) to all that is said, and follow the best of it; (for) it is they whom God has graced with His guidance; and it is they who are (truly) endowed with insight!
(Surah Zumar Verses 17-18)

We should read the works of great scholars of the past, including their explanation of the Quranic Verses and take what is best from their work and reject what is not right, or what could be considered as mistakes.

Only those posts should be deleted which specifically are posted to spread incorrect understanding of Islam, NOT those which are posted just for the sake of discussion. My posting Asad Tafsir was not for the sake of Fitnah.

Signor
01-31-2014, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Could you focus on the sense of Allah's presence around you instead?
This is the highest level of Imaan which can't achieved easily,one have to strive for it.

Narrated Abu Huraira:

One day while the Prophet was sitting in the company of some people, (The angel) Gabriel came and asked, "What is faith?" Allah's Apostle replied, 'Faith is to believe in Allah, His angels, (the) meeting with Him, His Apostles, and to believe in Resurrection." Then he further asked, "What is Islam?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah Alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly to pay the compulsory charity (Zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." Then he further asked, "What is Ihsan (perfection)?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you cannot achieve this state of devotion then you must consider that He is looking at you." Then he further asked, "When will the Hour be established?" Allah's Apostle replied, "The answerer has no better knowledge than the questioner. But I will inform you about its portents.

1. When a slave (lady) gives birth to her master.

2. When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of higher buildings. And the Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah.

The Prophet then recited: "Verily, with Allah (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour--." (31. 34) Then that man (Gabriel) left and the Prophet asked his companions to call him back, but they could not see him. Then the Prophet said, "That was Gabriel who came to teach the people their religion." Abu 'Abdullah said: He (the Prophet) considered all that as a part of faith.Sahih Bukhari

syed_z
01-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum Brother

format_quote Originally Posted by Signor
This is the highest level of Imaan which can't achieved easily,one have to strive for it.
Yes the striving part is there, definitely but there are also several paths leading and helping, the one striving, towards Allah (swt).

Allah (swt) mentions the following for those who strive on the path of Ihsan.

But as for those who strive hard in our Cause - We shall most certainly guide them onto paths that lead unto Us; for, behold, God is indeed with the Muhsineen (following the path of Ihsan). (Surah Al Ankaboot Verse 69)

:)

InToTheRain
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
I think you are supposed to have your eyes open when you pray...looking down at a fixed point on the prayer rug/ground.
:sl:

An excellent point. Yes you should keep the eyes focused on the place where you do your Sajdah as this conforms with Sunnah. However if one think they will be distracted they can close their eyes as per opinions below:

It is somewhat disliked to close one�s eyes in prayer, because:

-it entails leaving the sunna of looking at the place of prostration,
-it resembles the worship of the Jews, and
-it is reported from the early Muslims that they disliked this.
(There is a weak hadith regarding this, which is not sufficient as proof (in itself), but supports these other considerations.)

However:

if one does not gain full attentiveness or is distracted in prayer if one�s eyes are open, then it would be permitted (or, perhaps, even better) to close one�s eyes.
[This is the summary of what Imam Haskafi said in Durr al-Mukhtar, Ibn Abidin in Radd al-Muhtar, Ibn Nujaym in al-Bahr al-Ra�iq, and Imam Kasani in Bada�i` al-Sana�i`, in Hanafi fiqh. It is confirmed by what Imam Buhuti said in Kashshaf al-Qina` in Hanbali fiqh; and Imam Dardir in al-Sharh al-Saghir in Maliki fiqh. In the Shafi`i school, it is transmitted that it is disliked to close one�s eyes, but Imam Nawawi chose that it is not disliked in his Majmu` and also in his Minhaj, which some interpreted as saying it is absolutely permitted to close one�s eyes, and others that it is better not to (khilaf al-awla), unless it aid�s one�s presence of heart.]

Imam Buhuti also mentioned in his Kashshaf al-Qina` that a reason for its being disliked is that it can be a means for one becoming drowsy. [F: Such as when praying at night.]

Imam Kasani explained in his Bada�i` that the reason for looking at one�s place of prostration is that each limb of the body has a share in the prayer�s worship.

Imam Ibn Nujaym mentioned that one does not close one�s eyes in prostration, either, and mentioned that, �A number of Sufis (may Allah benefit us through them) said that one keeps one�s eyes open because the eyes too prostrate.�

Imam Abu Bakr al-Jassas (Allah have mercy on him) mentioned in his magnificent Qur�anic tafsir of the verses relating to legal rulings, Ahkam al-Qur�an, explaining the words of Allah Most High in Surat al-Mu�minin: �Successful indeed are the believers, who are reverent in prayer,� (Qur�an. 23: 1-2) that:

It has been reported Muhammad Ibn Sirin reported that the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) used to look up to the sky while praying. After this verse, he used to keep his head lowered.
It has also been reported from him that after this verse was revealed, the Companions would lower their gazes until their eyes did not go beyond their place of prostration.

MustafaMc
02-07-2014, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nur Student
The perfection of your life is to perceive the lights of the Eternal Sun which are depicted in the mirror of your life, and to love them. It is to display ardor for Him as a conscious being. It is to pass beyond yourself with love of Him. It is to establish the reflection of His light in the center of your heart. It is due to this mystery that the Hadith Qudsi was uttered, which is expressed by the following lines, and will raise you to the highest of the high:

The heavens and the earth contain me not;
Yet, how strange! I am contained in the hearts of believers. (1)

Dipnot-1 See, al-‘Ajluni, Kashf al-Khafa’, ii, 165; al-Ghazzali, Ihya’ l-‘Ulum al-Din, iii, 14.
Assalamu alaikum, to ponder over this post is to get at the heart of the initial question. The question can also be approached by asking, 'What is our own essential nature?' We can look in a mirror or see a picture and recognize ourselves, but is that image really who we are? When we die, we essentially look the same (for a while), but is that corpse really who we are? It is indeed true that Muslims have no mental image of Allah (swt) and I have pondered over this point myself from the perspective of a former Christian. As a Christian, I had the concept of God, the Father, that was practically the same as my concept of Allah (swt) today. The difference though is that I had believed that a portion of God became incarnate in the body of Jesus in order to live a perfect life despite facing the temptations that I do as a human and that he should offer himself as the only acceptable redeeming sacrifice dying a horrible death on the cross such that I, as a sinner, could be admitted to be in the presence of God in Heaven. I saw this as a manifestation of God's love for mankind and as such my mental image of God was that of Jesus on the cross. In stark contrast I have no mental image of Allah; however, the same could be said that I had no mental image of God, the Father. When I pray, I try to focus on the words and actions of my prayer, but I admit that my mind wanders such that I sometimes can't remember if I have done 3 or 4 rakat, especially if I have prayed sunnah before zuhr. Despite this shortcoming, I strive to 'be in the moment' and to imagine that I am in the presence of Allah's awareness or conciousness, you might say. Rather than trying to focus (like a telescope) on a specific 'image' of Allah (swt) I try to go the other way, thinking expansively of His all-encompassing mercy and glory that is beyond words or image. Sometimes I think about the vastness of the universe and how I can't imagine the distance of a single light year when I come to the point of asking, 'What is 1cm beyond the edge of the universe?' I, of course, can't answer that and yet I know that Allah (swt) is not physically contained even within this vastness of the universe that I can't comprehend. I am left with the conclusion that it is utterly incomprehensible to comprehend Allah (swt). I am reminded of Jesus' words in 5:116 "You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen."

Aaqib
06-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I used to day dream before in my early prayers, until I started praying more often.
I would usually think to myself "If I mess up, Allah won't except your prayer" repeatedly many times.

Now I'm working on looking for the meaning of all the things I have to say in a prayer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!