/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Till Death Do Us Part"

Iceee
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Salaam to all my Muslim Brothers and Sisters. Hello everyone else :P

When Christians get married in church, after the vows are read, and you are to say "I Do," who are you making a promise to?

Are you making a promise to your spouse to be with them until death, and/or are you making a promise to God to stay until death do us part?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
02-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Are you asking Christian members?
It seems a bit strange to ask a question about a Christian tradition in the 'Learn about Islam' section ...

YusufNoor
02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Salaam to all my Muslim Brothers and Sisters. Hello everyone else :P
When Christians get married in church, after the vows are read, and you are to say "I Do," who are you making a promise to?
Are you making a promise to your spouse to be with them until death, and/or are you making a promise to God to stay until death do us part?
:sl:

in theory, you are in God's house, you know, despite all of the idols present in it, and you are answering the priest, who fancies himself to be God's representative. thus, through a series of remarkably contradictory surroundings, cloaked in even more contradictory beliefs, you are under the delusion that you are making the promise to God.

ma salaama

ardianto
02-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Divorce is permissible in Islam although disliked by Allah. So, the vow which I said in front of my wife, Imam, and the witnesses when I did nikah was not "Till death do us part", but sighat taklik like this

"If I leave my wife for two years, or I do not give her obligated livehood for six months, or I hurt her physically, or I neglect her for three months, ....... and she was not willing with this and report this to Sharia court, then divorce happen"

Being a good husband is a duty for every married Muslim man. However, not every Muslim man is able to become good husband. So, the wife is given a chance to leave her husband trough divorce if the husband could not treat his wife well.

If the "Till death do us part" become a vow for marriage, then if the husband treat his wife very bad, the wife would not have a chance to release herself from her husband.

Without intention to look down on another religion, this is the excellence of Islamic marriage.

And beside the sighat taklik I had said, I also made a promise which I said only to myself without telling anyone. "I will always love my wife, and only my wife, whatever happen to her"

Yes, I did not vow "Till death do us part", but I am sure you have know what happened in love story between me and my beloved wife.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
My understanding from all the films etc :D and if attention is paid, you will hear the priest addressing each individual, bride and groom, "Do you . .. take . . . to be your beloved . . . and the rest of the sickness.health. . death . . .. blah blah . .

So, the question is asked of each of the to-be-married whether they are agreeable to this? They say "I do" because the question asks "Do you . . " so it is about them agreeing to take each other, a vow to each other in the presence of God :hmm:

:peace:

Iceee
02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Salaam.

format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
in theory, you are in God's house, you know, despite all of the idols present in it, and you are answering the priest, who fancies himself to be God's representative. thus, through a series of remarkably contradictory surroundings, cloaked in even more contradictory beliefs, you are under the delusion that you are making the promise to God.
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
So, the question is asked of each of the to-be-married whether they are agreeable to this? They say "I do" because the question asks "Do you . . " so it is about them agreeing to take each other, a vow to each other in the presence of what it is that the Christians believe in.
Okay, so I guess the answer to this question is that both parties being wed promise each-other and also promise God to stay married until death. So when divorce occurs or the marriage falls apart, have they broken promises to one another and also broken a promise from God? ^o)

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
If the "Till death do us part" become a vow for marriage, then if the husband treat his wife very bad, the wife would not have a chance to release herself from her husband.
Don't Christians practice dating for a period of time before proposing and finally getting wed? That way, they can see their spouse' personality and such.

YusufNoor
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Salaam.

Okay, so I guess the answer to this question is that both parties being wed promise each-other and also promise God to stay married until death. So when divorce occurs or the marriage falls apart, have they broken promises to one another and also broken a promise from God? ^o)Don't Christians practice dating for a period of time before proposing and finally getting wed? That way, they can see their spouse' personality and such.
:sl:

they believe the promise is to God, not their partner. my mom divorced my dad in the '60s, but waited until after he died, almost 16 years later, to get married again. my mom is a Catholic.

ma salaama

Independent
02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
The meaning has shifted. In past centuries the oath was made to God, because most marriages were not for love but for obedience or for property. Over the last hundred years that has changed to the point that the promise is now effectively made to each other (although some people remain traditionally minded). The ideal is that there should never be divorce, but statistics show that many of us will in practice marry more than once. (Many people choose not to marry in Church the second time having failed to keep their vow the first time.)

In the past, there was a huge social barrier to divorce. For women, there was also a practical barrier - money. Today the social inhibition has largely disappeared and financially it's also less difficult, as many women have financial independence.

In many western countries, divorcing women would have very significant financial claims in law over their husband's property, especially if there are children involved.

ardianto
02-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Don't Christians practice dating for a period of time before proposing and finally getting wed? That way, they can see their spouse' personality and such.
No one know what will happen tomorrow. A man who look like loves his girlfriend maybe will lose his love after getting married. Probably because he is getting bored to his wife, probably because he is attracted to another woman and start neglect his wife.

I never want to criticize other religions. But there was a time when I had question about prohibition to get divorce in Christianity. It's happened after I watched "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" (Okay, okay, I watched movie). I wonder, if Robin Hood did not save Marian from forced marriage with Sherif of Notingham, would Marian lives in suffer in the rest of her life because she could not ask divorce?.

I know it's sound ridiculous, but I was really wondering it.

But I very appreciate those who have intention "Till death do us part" in marriage. My dream of married life was always together with my wife until death separate me and her. And I had promised myself to be always faithful to my wife in joy and sorrow.

Alhamdulillah, I could fulfill my promise until the last time of my wife life, till death did us part.

IslamicRevival
02-03-2014, 01:39 AM
I dont think christians know the answer themselves, such is the confusion surrounding their religion.

ardianto
02-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Why the topic turn into criticize Christianity? ^o)

Iceee
02-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Salaam.

format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
Forgot about this thread, your answer is good. I Like ;)
Ja'Zakullah.

greenhill
02-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by greenhill
So, the question is asked of each of the to-be-married whether they are agreeable to this? They say "I do" because the question asks "Do you . . " so it is about them agreeing to take each other, a vow to each other in the presence of what it is that the Christians believe in.
Okay, so I guess the answer to this question is that both parties being wed promise each-other and also promise God to stay married until death. So when divorce occurs or the marriage falls apart, have they broken promises to one another and also broken a promise from God?
I forgot about this thread too! :D

I never really studied this to be honest. Most of what I write is off the cuff based on what I remember :p
Now that you asked more specifically, I have to think more specifically. I guess when they say 'I do', they are saying to God AND they are themselves witnesses of their wedding vows. And seeing as it is addressing them, and no one else, it would be totally acceptable that they are also saying it to each other. :confused:

:peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!