/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your Muslim Parents

Aprender
02-23-2014, 11:51 PM
AsSalamu alaykum wa rathmatullahi wa barkaatuh. As a revert/convert to Islam, I did not get the opportunity to grow up in a household with Muslim parents. I was wondering if some of the born Muslims here wouldn't mind sharing nice stories/experiences and general life lessons that they learned from their parents. Times when they taught you Quran maybe, shared some valuable wisdom...

I just think it would be interesting to get the general sense of what life was like for others who grew up with Muslim parents.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
02-24-2014, 01:50 AM
Wa alaykumsalam wrwb

MashaaAllah, interesting topic! As a child, I "officially" learnt matters of the religion outside of my home. I went to a madrasah and also went to a lady's house who taught us to read arabic. At home, I usually asked my father about origins. Origin of creation. I also asked about God. My mother would be the one who taught/reminded me to recite Sura Al Ikhlas before I go to sleep. I believe that my parents taught me about Islam not by sitting me down and "teaching" it to me, though there were those moments, most of how I learnt is through seeing them simply being muslims, though certain things I had to be specifically taught. I learnt the importance of eating only halal food, washing up after myself..etc.

I personally find it interesting to reflect now, as I still somewhat remember my thoughts from back then. I am reminded of the importance of humility and seeking knowledge. Much of what I have been learning the past few years are what I was taught as a child, however a child's ability to comprehend is different compared to that of an adult's. Unfortunately we have people today who are born muslims but they hardly bother to study about Islam since they already "learnt" it as a child. As a result, their level of knowledge regarding Islam is merely what they remembered/comprehended as a child.

That's my childhood from what I can remember. I know for a fact that there are other kids who had a much more "islamic" childhood than me. In terms of being a muslim adult, it took me a while to really get into the state of being reflective of life.

Aprender
04-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for sharing Brother Hulk.

Hulk
04-23-2014, 07:48 PM
No problem Sis Aprender. Now that I am in my 20s with intentions of having my own family in the future, I think as muslim parents it would be very important for us to be in touch with our children's development in knowledge (of course to be able to do that we need to be learners as well). Someone close to me recently related something which his family member told him about. Apparently the family member's 13/14 year old son was told in religious class that dinosaurs never existed, now the 13 year old is very smart for his age and is really into that sort of stuff, so what the teacher said really made him upset.

The family member talked about it with my friend, saying that he felt that the teacher should have kept the topic to "religion" and left everything else out of it.

So on one hand there is the problem where the teacher said that dinosaurs never existed (The Quran never rejects the possibility of the existence of dinosaurs as far as I know), then there is the problem of wanting to separate religious teachings and "non-religious" teachings as if they are at odds..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aakifali321
04-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks for sharing Brother

learning quran online

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!