/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Forum problems

KnowledgePower
03-21-2014, 03:34 AM
1) Why is the forum running so slow?

2) Why has the forum changed so much?

3) Sometimes it comes up with invalid link?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
03-24-2014, 06:13 AM
:sl:

We have applied the vB 5.1.0 upgrade today. I hope it has solved some of the problems.

ardianto
03-30-2014, 11:58 AM

Sections which I cannot visit without login

- Qur'an
- Miscellaneous
- Advice & Support
- Islamic Multimedia
- General

Scimitar
04-04-2014, 05:20 PM
where's the brothers section go? disappeared?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
04-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Assalamualaikum bro,

I believe there are some issues that are currently being worked on and it should be back once it's ready inshaaAllah.

faithandpeace
04-05-2014, 07:05 AM
It does seem to be still having a lot of issues. The majority of the times I have tried to login it wouldn't even let me do that and said "Database error" making me wonder if my username accidently got deleted. Alhamdulillah, I'm logged in now though.

~Zaria~
04-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Assalamu-alaikum, Hope everyone is well ان شاء اللَّهُ I've not able to login from Firefox at all for the last few weeks. I'm currently logged in using my phone. Is it possible to go back to the old forum please? Just a suggestion.... Shukran وعليكم السلام ورØ-مةالله وبركاته

faithandpeace
04-07-2014, 03:54 AM
I know the admins put a lot of work into the new software but truth be told there are a massive amount of technical issues and it looks like the volume of posting has drastically dropped as a result. :( Insha'Allah it will get better soon.

Scimitar
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
walakum salaam bro Hulk :) thank you for the post.

I'm starting to drift away from IslamicBoard forum because of the problems with the new migration or whatever it was you guys have done... In sha Allah, it will all work out well and the forum will be more functional than before.

However, at the moment (and in recent weeks) it's been really difficult to do anything here. Some sections are missing and I've uploaded my avatar over 5 times and none show... I would post, but fear having to write walls of text only for them to disappear because something had to be fixed and all posts prior to (enter date here) and between (enter date here) will be deleted due to the fix.

Anyway, FIX UP the brothers section - it's still disappeared, and we got Sirius Bizness to get on with :D

AabiruSabeel
04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
:salam:

The Avatars are back. The Brothers and Sisters sections will also be restored soon :ia:

I have not seen any problems accessing the forum using firefox or any other browser. The forum loads really fast for me and I can log in within 5 seconds. I have tried logging in from different locations using different ISPs but never got any problems.

If you are still facing problems while logging in, please email us: staff@islamicboard.com

AabiruSabeel
04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
The Brothers and Sisters sections have also been restored now.

Periwinkle18
04-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Assalam o alikum Omg this place has changed sooooo much :S subhanAllah Nemo's lost :S Can someone please tell me where I could find my threads from?

AabiruSabeel
04-11-2014, 11:32 PM
:wa:

Welcome back.
Click on your username and go to the About tab on your profile. Scroll down and you will find links to search for your posts.

You can also click on your post count to search for your posts.

Scimitar
04-20-2014, 05:41 AM
brothers section doesnt load in my browser, I get time out errors.

~Zaria~
04-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I am receiving this message when I try to include a signature: "Error saving signature: BB code size value is too big." - even though the signature is just 2 lines.

Shukran

AabiruSabeel
04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~;n2231293
Assalamu-alaikum,

I am receiving this message when I try to include a signature: "Error saving signature: BB code size value is too big." - even though the signature is just 2 lines.

Shukran

Please try again now. Btw, you already have a signature.

AabiruSabeel
04-20-2014, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto;n2230803

Sections which I cannot visit without login

- Qur'an
- Miscellaneous
- Advice & Support
- Islamic Multimedia
- General
Do you still face this problem?

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar;n2231290
brothers section doesnt load in my browser, I get time out errors.
Which browser are you using? Does it happen for only some of the threads or for the whole section?

ardianto
04-20-2014, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ibṉĀdam;n2231298

Do you still face this problem?
Not again.

Which browser are you using? Does it happen for only some of the threads or for the whole section?
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. That happened for the whole section.

But bro, I wrote that complaint 3 weeks ago. Now I can visit every section without problem. :)

~Zaria~
04-21-2014, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ibṉĀdam;n2231295
:wa: Please try again now. Btw, you already have a signature.
Its working now, jazakAllahu khair.

AabiruSabeel
04-21-2014, 09:07 PM
For all those who are unable to access large threads, go the Account tab in User Settings, scroll down to the option for Posts per Page and select a fixed number from the dropdown menu. Scroll down and save the changes.

Muslim Woman
04-22-2014, 05:40 AM

JazakAllah khair bro . At last , Hadeeth of the Day opened for me :)

Scimitar
04-22-2014, 04:03 PM
please go back to the old version, I find this version of the forum inpossible to work with. Though I am able to get into the brothers section now, no thread open for me there and its now been a very loooong time that this problem has been affecting us.

truth be told, I dont have time to wait around for a thread to open when I know this forum is broken in places.

I must say, my visits here will become less frequent and eventually, none existent as a member here....

....moral of the story?

if it aint broken, dont try and fix it.

Scimi

Scimitar
04-23-2014, 03:06 AM
ok I fixed it. Its easy, just set the post count per page to ten or something in you settings and POW :) all working smooth Alhamdulillah.

I guess I am going nowhere - Hi5 everyone :)

sister herb
04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Almost impossible to post anything because forum is so slowly all the time... :(

AabiruSabeel
04-27-2014, 09:45 PM
^ Updated the Posts per Page settings. I hope its faster now.

strivingobserver98
04-27-2014, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb;n2231551
Almost impossible to post anything because forum is so slowly all the time... :(
This may be because of our current server needs upgrading or something else. We as a staff will try our best to get the forum running at top speed and find out what the problem is :ia:

:jz: for your patience.

~Zaria~
04-28-2014, 04:44 AM
:jz: for going back to the old look.

It feels so much better now....:)

Edit: 2 Small issues that in shaa Allah can be resolved:

We can see the moderators room topics.
Posts are not getting loaded in the right order....

Shukran

AabiruSabeel
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~;n2231565
Edit: 2 Small issues that in shaa Allah can be resolved:

Shukran
We are working on it to fix these issues. :jz: for informing us about them.

AabiruSabeel
04-28-2014, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~;n2231565
Forum permissions are now updated. Only the public forums posts will show up now.

On which page are the posts not loading in the right order? If it is the search page, then it is because of caching of posts. The timestamp of the posts gets updated after some time and then they will appear in the proper order.

CosmicPathos
05-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Is sister Vale's Lily around? Ive been trying to PM her, it says "enter user" ;S

AabiruSabeel
05-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Yes, please follow this link: http://www.islamicboard.com/privatemessage/new/8356 She has changed her username.

AabiruSabeel
05-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I think there's a problem and we are unable to send PMs to any user who has Arabic username. :ia: we will try to solve it.

~Zaria~
05-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Im beginning to feel like the one of the most frequent posters on this thread :hiding:

Please help with the following:

1. On the 'Search Results' page, one needs to scroll all the way to the top of the page, in order to change to the next page. (It seems that the 'footnote' option for this function is also sitting at the top of the page....).

2. Cant access my 'profile page' - which makes it difficult to access ones own posts/ previously started threads.

Shukran

AabiruSabeel
05-05-2014, 03:41 AM

1. There's supposed to be a floating bar at the top of the browser window whenever we scroll down. It has the option for changing the page. Is it not floating?

2. I could access other members profile pages but your profile gives an error. Do you have any profile customizations? If yes, try to remove them and see if it works.

For accessing your posts, you can simply click on your post count shown here under your avatar.

:jz: for reporting the issues to us. Otherwise we won't know there is a problem.

~Zaria~
05-06-2014, 05:25 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ibṉĀdam;n2231779

1. There's supposed to be a floating bar at the top of the browser window whenever we scroll down. It has the option for changing the page. Is it not floating?
Referring to the 'Search Results' page when searching for a key-word (not the 'Search results' page for 'Today's Posts' link).
Ive attached a screen-shot of the page below: bar does not float and there are 2 bars at the top of the page - not sure if one is meant to be the footer?

format_quote Originally Posted by ibṉĀdam;n2231779
2. I could access other members profile pages but your profile gives an error. Do you have any profile customizations? If yes, try to remove them and see if it works.

For accessing your posts, you can simply click on your post count shown here under your avatar.
I do not have any profile customizations, but its not allowing me to reset to 'default' either...
I had assumed that all members no longer have access to their profiles post upgrade....:hmm:

At present, it means that I need to find one of my old posts, to be able to access my previous posts...

Shukran

~Zaria~
05-06-2014, 05:31 PM
^ I've just tried uploading the pic twice - it shows that the pic has uploaded when the message is being created, but once posted, it does not appear....

AabiruSabeel
05-06-2014, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~;n2231805
Referring to the 'Search Results' page when searching for a key-word (not the 'Search results' page for 'Today's Posts' link).
Ive attached a screen-shot of the page below: bar does not float and there are 2 bars at the top of the page - not sure if one is meant to be the footer?
When you are at the top of the page, there will be only one navigation bar. When you scroll down, it pops out from its place and sticks to the top of the browser window. Then if you scroll up slowly, the floating bar stays at the top and when you reach its original place, you may see two similar navigation bars until the floating one goes back to its original place.

Currently there's no navigation in the footer. :ia: we will try to add pagination in the footer as well.

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~;n2231805
I do not have any profile customizations, but its not allowing me to reset to 'default' either...
I had assumed that all members no longer have access to their profiles post upgrade....:hmm:

At present, it means that I need to find one of my old posts, to be able to access my previous posts...
We will also try to add useful shortcut links at the top :ia:

For uploading a picture, it is better to upload it on an image hosting site such as imageshack or tinypic and then use the [img] tags to display it here.

~Zaria~
05-07-2014, 04:27 AM
^ I have tried searching for a topic using my phone browser as well - there is no floating bar (it remains at the top of the page as one scrolls down). Re: posting of images - i haven't used an image hosting site before, and it does feel more laborious....will it not be possible to directly post pics to the forum as before? Maaf, I realize the hard work that has gone into the forum change - but unfortunately, the forum has become less user-friendly than in the past.... (Ps. this post has no paragraph spacing as I'm accessing the site from my phone - the spacings disappear from posts when using a mobile). جَزَاكَ اللهُ خَيْرًا

~Zaria~
05-07-2014, 04:31 AM
Also not able to edit posts from a mobile device as the original post does not appear in the text box for editing....:(

AabiruSabeel
05-07-2014, 09:59 PM
I am sorry, I also feel like it wasn't the right time to do the software upgrade but it was inevitable. قدَّر الله وما شاء فعل. Our server had upgraded PHP and it caused incompatibility issues with the old version of vbulletin. That was the main reason why we had to upgrade the forum software.

Some of the things are not in our control and we are still trying to restore the features as much as possible.

There's a new link added under the main navigation bar for searching the user's own posts. The threads now have pagination at the top and bottom separately, in addition to the pagination in the floating bar. If possible, we will also try to add the pagination on search result pages :ia:

The editing box issue on mobile browsers is a known bug and vbulletin is trying to fix it in the next release. There are hundreds of thousands of bug reports and improvement requests registered on the vbulletin website which they are implementing one by one on priority basis. We don't know how long it will take to get all the features back but sooner or later :ia: we will get them.

The image hosting problem could be related to folder permission settings on our server. We will try to see if it can be fixed :ia:

Edit: Added page navigation at the bottom of search results as well.

~Zaria~
05-08-2014, 07:23 PM
:jz:

I appreciate the efforts made akhee.

MysticSoumeya
05-25-2014, 04:04 PM
What's the matter with this site?????? Isn't there any kind of fixing going on?

AabiruSabeel
05-25-2014, 04:59 PM

^ What kind of problem are you facing?

MysticSoumeya
05-25-2014, 06:52 PM
It's like the forum is frozen and nobody's writing. I see the same threads since yesterday. I have to refresh several times or go to the different sections and just then I see that pple post things or reply.

AabiruSabeel
05-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Yes, the user activity on the forum has dropped very low. Please use the Today's Posts search from the top to find out the updated threads.

azzedinefaizan
05-28-2014, 09:43 AM
I cannot seem to post new topics. A dialog box keeps popping up which says "Edit Conversation: Empty Response". I hope this is only a temporary glitch.

Scimitar
06-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Guys, sorry but i feel this forum has died.

So much for upgrades and stuff... keeping things simple is always good. all these extra functions on the web are unneccessary and cause more problems than they're worth, sure you'll agree.

I log in, and see that usually these days I'm the only one logged in, or maybe another member is also here - or maybe a mod... but no more than 3 members ever online since the site came back up?

I think my time is done here.

May I express my thanks and heartfelt gratitude to all the brothers and sisters I have had the pleasure to connect with. May Allah reward you all with the good of both, this world and the next, Ameen.

Keep smiling guys,

Assalaam alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,

Scimitar - out

Muslim Woman
06-15-2014, 08:20 AM

I don't think forum is dead , it was in ICU lol and it's improving and much better now :statisfie

So , bro pl. don't go . InshaAllah see u around .

faithandpeace
06-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Assalamu alaikum. I am feeling the same way. I used to love coming here and there were always lively discussions going on. Yet now it seems like there is more going on in 5 minutes over on Ummah forum than on here over an entire week.

faithandpeace
06-15-2014, 10:53 AM
And to further emphasize the point in just a matter of minutes after I made the above post, IB forums went down and I could not access anything.

~Zaria~
06-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

Search function does not find most posts, even when provided the exact heading/ subject. Makes it extremely difficult to find previous posts.

Shukran

Muhammad
06-21-2014, 01:53 PM
:wasalamex:

Apologies for the delayed reply. I certainly do agree that keeping things simple is good, and I am not a fan of extra functions etc. I miss the days when there was a lot more going on. However, it could be a blessing in disguise, to help us spend less time on some of those futile discussions and free up time for more productive activities. The other thing is, if I remember correctly, activity had diminished significantly even before the upgrade, so perhaps this is part of the life cycle of a forum... many people simply move on and when so many discussions have taken place, there is little that is new. Things can go either way though. The forum is what we collectively make it, bi'ithnillah.

To all those who have visited here, may we the moderators also express our gratitude and at the same time ask forgiveness for our mistakes and shortcomings. May Allaah :swt: guide us all to that which is good and keep us away from all that which will not benefit, Aameen.

And to further emphasize the point in just a matter of minutes after I made the above post, IB forums went down and I could not access anything.
I am sorry to hear these problems are still occurring. If you continue experiencing problems with the forum going down, try sending an email to the islamicboard email :ia:.

Search function does not find most posts, even when provided the exact heading/ subject. Makes it extremely difficult to find previous posts.
You could try using google instead, by writing the name of the forum and the name of the thread... others might be able to recommend a more sophisticated approach!

ardianto
06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad;n2232907
You could try using google instead, by writing the name of the forum and the name of the thread... others might be able to recommend a more sophisticated approach!
Write in google search bar: (subject/title) site:islamicboard.com

In example, if you want to find thread/post related to Palestine, then type: palestine site:islamicboardcom

~Zaria~
06-22-2014, 05:37 AM
^ JazakAllahu khair,

That does work if one knows the exact name of thread.

However, to find threads/ posts by keywords is very difficult, via google as well.

With regards to our search engine, as an example:
There are many posts here that include the late maulana Yunus Patel (ra) - by myself and others. Yet if one has to type in the name "Yunus Patel" in the search engine, it detects no entries at all.

Shukran

AabiruSabeel
06-22-2014, 09:52 PM

We may have to rebuild the search index once again. Rebuilding the search index is a server intensive process and can take anywhere from a few hours to 1-2 days. The forum can become very slow during that time and sometimes it might be inaccessible. Also, I will need fast and uninterrupted connection to the forum while running this process. It can be done in batches and decreasing the batch size reduces the server load and increases the overall time.

I will try to do it later once I am able to keep a dedicated computer connected to IB for a long time, :ia:. Till then, please use the Google search.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. :jz:

~Zaria~
06-22-2014, 10:02 PM
^ Ok....while you are on-line, please help: I'm currently trying to create a new thread in the World Affairs section.

I'm receiving an error message: 'Empty Response'. :exhausted

:jz:

AabiruSabeel
06-23-2014, 02:34 AM
Sorry, I was on mobile at that time and didn't notice your reply.

I have just tested a new thread with the Test User and it seems like it was a temporary glitch. Please try posting again now.

~Zaria~
06-23-2014, 07:29 PM
^ I've tried again.....I'm still experiencing the same problem.

ardianto
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM
I don't know, this is only in my computer or in other member computers too. But since this forum back to old template, Arabic letters in posts turn into 'symbol' like this:

عبدالله بن Ø£Ø*مد أبو الخير 1285 – 1343 هـ

AabiruSabeel
07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
^ It has happened for all the posts which were posted on the vB5 version. It seems like the Arabic encoding did not transfer properly from there. We will have to edit all such posts and re-write the Arabic text in them.

ardianto
07-14-2014, 03:59 PM
How to edit a post?. The process to display the post that would be edited taking time too long, and always waiting, waiting, waiting.

Muhammad
07-14-2014, 04:49 PM
:salamext:

Yes that function isn't working properly at the moment. For the time being, try right clicking on the edit button and choose to open in a new tab. :ia: you can edit that way. :)

Muslim Woman
07-14-2014, 04:55 PM

yes , it works this way , Alhamdulillah

~Zaria~
08-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Please help - I have another user's profile on my name (i.e when I go to 'My Profile'/ 'Zaria', another profile appears).

Shukran

AabiruSabeel
08-10-2014, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~

Please help - I have another user's profile on my name (i.e when I go to 'My Profile'/ 'Zaria', another profile appears).

Shukran

:jz: for reporting it. It has been solved now.

ardianto
08-31-2014, 02:05 AM
Is forum in problem again?. Few last posts do not appear.

EDIT ..... EDIT ..... EDIT

Seem like the problem is not in forum. When I wrote my previous post I used Google Chrome in first computer. Yes, my post (before edited) did not appear on my monitor.

Then I move to the second computer which in the same internet line but use Firefox. And, there's no problem. This is the computer that I use now. I also did test with third computer which use Google Chrome but connected to different internet line. There's no problem.

Conclusion. Problem happen in the first computer. :)

strivingobserver98
08-31-2014, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Is forum in problem again?. Few last posts do not appear.
You mean replying on a thread?

ardianto
08-31-2014, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
You mean replying on a thread?
No. I mean I could not see the few last posts that written by anyone.

But I think I have found the the cause.

strivingobserver98
08-31-2014, 03:30 AM
No. I mean I could not see the few last posts that written by anyone.

But I think I have found the the cause.
Oh that's strange, because on my laptop it does the same thing lol. Works fine on computer then laptop on chrome I have to refresh it a couple of times. Might be a cookie problem.

Muhaba
08-31-2014, 04:56 AM
we have to refresh to see new posts. otherwise, only the old posts appear, not the new ones.

MuslimInshallah
08-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I don't think this is a problem with a particular computer, or a particular browser. I'm on a Mac with Safari, and I've also been having a lot of problems, yesterday and today in particular. Indeed, it's getting worse. Not only is it hard to post (particularly to the God of Gaps thread), but the Forum listing of the last 10 posts is not functioning at all right now and the "recent postings" is stuck at last night. I keep being told I need to sign in, but if I go somewhere else on the site, I am signed in. In order to look at threads and post things, I've been going through alternate routes. For instance, looking at the notifications in my account, and clicking to get to my posting, then being able to find the thread.

I do wonder if the site itself may be compromised in some way.

Thank you for looking into these problems. And thank you for maintaining this great site for us to benefit from!

syed_z
08-31-2014, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
I keep being told I need to sign in, but if I go somewhere else on the site, I am signed in. In order to look at threads and post things, I've been going through alternate routes. For instance, looking at the notifications in my account, and clicking to get to my posting, then being able to find the thread.
Thanks for reporting, I am having the same issue.... was wondering if something was wrong with my PC, but I guess its not only me.

greenhill
08-31-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm having problems logging in. After signing in, a page appears to acknowledge and then instead of going to the main page, it goes back to the logging in page and I have to retry. Again and again and again, again, again......... and again.. :heated:

Perhaps there are other experiencing this?

Somehow when I accidentally hit the 'refresh' bar, I got in!

Insaanah
08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
:salam:

I'm having the same problems as others have reported above too. The problems are being looked into, and hopefully will be fixed soon once it's known what's causing them.

Jazakumullah khayr for reporting these, and for your patience while they're worked on.

strivingobserver98
08-31-2014, 07:41 PM
:jz: for letting us know. It's not happening to me anymore looks like it works. Try it out now.

Scimitar
09-09-2014, 03:47 PM
forum has been slow in all departments now for over a week bro.

strivingobserver98
09-10-2014, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
forum has been slow in all departments now for over a week bro.
:jz: for notifying. How long does it take for a page to load bro?

Scimitar
09-10-2014, 01:52 PM
today its faster alhamdulillah, but up til yesterday, it was gradually getting slower, up to a minute in some cases to load a page.

ardianto
09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Ow, ow, the forum getting slower.

strivingobserver98
09-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Ow, ow, the forum getting slower.
I think we have identified the problem. :ia: it will be sorted asap.

:jz: for your patience. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!