/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Supposed "Quranism" or Rejection of Ahadeeth

bintYahya
03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
As-salaamu 'alaikum,

Some time ago I ran into some people on facebook who say they only follow the Qur'an because God says in the Qur'an, "Shall I seek other than God as a source of law when He has brought down to you this book fully detailed?" (6:114), and "We did not leave anything out of the book" (6:38), as well as, "These are God's revelations which we recite to you truthfully. In which statement (in Arabic, hadeeth) other than God and His revelations do they believe?" (45:6).

And I find myself troubled by these points made in these ayat because I can't 100% make myself believe that the ahadeeth are justified. I do realize that wudhuu and salaat, for example, would be impossible to perform without the support of ahadeeth - but for the rejectors of ahadeeth this only means that there are no strict guidelines to doing those kind of things.

I have gotten deep into this search for proof to myself, and this text here is just the tip of the iceberg. I've looked up everything that I can easily find online but can't find 100% satisfaction with those resources. I've discussed with someone who's more knowledgeable than me (I'm a revert of 8.5 years in a Muslim MINORity country) to no real avail.

I don't know much if anything really about the origins of this movement or its reputation. Basically just the fact that they don't believe in any ahadeeth and consider Muhammad within the Sunni context as a sign of Shirk. Please, bear with my ignorance, and if you can, provide me with some solid arguments.

May Allāh reward you all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
03-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Wa alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh sister,

format_quote Originally Posted by bintYahya;n2230707
As-salaamu 'alaikum,

Some time ago I ran into some people on facebook who say they only follow the Qur'an because God says in the Qur'an, "Shall I seek other than God as a source of law when He has brought down to you this book fully detailed?" (6:114), and "We did not leave anything out of the book" (6:38), as well as, "These are God's revelations which we recite to you truthfully. In which statement (in Arabic, hadeeth) other than God and His revelations do they believe?" (45:6).

And I find myself troubled by these points made in these ayat because I can't 100% make myself believe that the ahadeeth are justified. I do realize that wudhuu and salaat, for example, would be impossible to perform without the support of ahadeeth - but for the rejectors of ahadeeth this only means that there are no strict guidelines to doing those kind of things.
But do you not see the contradiction sister? If everything is fully detailed, then there should be no room for personal interpretation, because everything is fully detailed. Hadeeth rejectors will give the same ayah different implications depending on the point they're trying to make. They'll use that ayah to reject the ahadeeth, but then disregard that self same ayah and it's implications for giving zakat, praying etc - according to their first interpretation of the ayah, it should all be detailed within the Qur'an. You will find Qur'anism contains many such contradictions within it's ideology.

format_quote Originally Posted by bintYahya;n2230707
I don't know much if anything really about the origins of this movement or its reputation. Basically just the fact that they don't believe in any ahadeeth and consider Muhammad within the Sunni context as a sign of Shirk. Please, bear with my ignorance, and if you can, provide me with some solid arguments.
It as as though they are implying that rasoolullah :saws: came as a rival to Allah. We seek Allah's refuge from that.

Qur'anism is not a purer Islam, nor is it more monotheistic. Hadeeth rejectors is the more appropriate term, because actually, in rejecting the hadeeth, they reject part of the Qur'an itself. And rejecting part, is tantamount to rejecting it all. That has huge implications for one's faith.

We have had discussions here with hadeeth rejectors before. Unfortunately I can't find some of the ones I was looking for due to search issues, however there are four links below which I did find, and others may have others. If I find others I will also post them.

See these threads:
http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...llow-thequraan
http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...-hadith-really

See here: http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...17#post1855817

And read the rest of the thread below from the post below, onwards, to the end of the thread - it may be a few pages (apologies if it sounds heated in some places):

http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...10#post1926610

Do let us know if they helped or not and if you have any other questions.

May Allah save you and indeed all of us from straying off the right path, ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!