/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music....

duraldo
04-05-2014, 11:34 AM
I am a recent convert and my understanding is that all music is forbidden "anything with an instrument". I can understand "anything with lyrics", but I am having trouble understanding. Then I find stuff like "hip hop with an Islamic message". On that same note, how can something instrumental be construed as something for/against Allah on its own? I guess what I am saying, wouldn't it be more important the intent of the singer/speaker/musician? My question is, if something (for example, a song) is written to glorify Islam and Allah, why is it forbidden? On that same thread, I suppose it would be like saying "I am going to get drunk for the name of God", i.e. that you cannot do something that is forbidden, even to attempt to praise Allah.

Secondly, if not all music is forbidden, are there any songs that complement the studying the Quaran? Excuse me if this is inappropriate and/or insulting to even ask.

Yikes, look at that, I've confused myself. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
04-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Assalamualaikum,

You are right in saying that intention is important, and indeed it takes precedence over action. However, intention alone is not enough of a prerequisite to perform an action. We would also need the proper knowledge. So always keep in mind the importance of Intention (niyyah), Knowledge (ilm), and Action/Practice ('amal).

In regards to music, I don't believe I am qualified to be giving you any advice on that matter :)

duraldo
04-06-2014, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk;n2230913
Assalamualaikum,

You are right in saying that intention is important, and indeed it takes precedence over action. However, intention alone is not enough of a prerequisite to perform an action. We would also need the proper knowledge. So always keep in mind the importance of Intention (niyyah), Knowledge (ilm), and Action/Practice ('amal).

In regards to music, I don't believe I am qualified to be giving you any advice on that matter :)

Perhaps what the Quaran says about niyyah is where I should begin looking for answers. Thanks hulk for guiding me that way!

Muhammad
04-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

We have a number of threads providing details on this issue, but currently it is difficult to find them as the forum was recently upgraded. Here is one thread but it is quite long and detailed: http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...ran-and-sunnah

You will note that there are many things that have to be considered when finding answers, and it is often not as simple as finding a verse in the Qur'an. We have to also look at the teachings of the Prophet :saws:, amongst other things. If the issue is causing you confusion, focus on building the foundation first - learn about the Islamic creed and the pillars of Islam and eemaan. As you do this, :ia: (if Allah wills) everything else will fall into place. Take things one step at a time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!