/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Quran written from longest to shortest pages

Krenki1
05-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Like in the bible it has a chronical order that it follows, beginning to the end.
But in the quran its written from longest to shortest chapters, and is not in the right order. Just wondering why it is written like that, i just imagine it must be confusing to backtrack on beginning til the end.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
05-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Hello Krenki1

When Quran verses revealed, they were not written on the book immediately, but just saved in memories of prophet Muhammad (saw) and his companions. Then after prophet Muhammad (saw) passed away, in era of caliph Usman, the Companion decided to write these Qur'an verses into a book without add, reduce, or change any word. And the Companion decided to write Qur'an book in order like you know today.

How to track back verses from the beginning till the end?. Just read Islamic books which contains information about when and where a verse revealed.

Hulk
05-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Very interesting question and responses. I am reminded of how as a child I would often memorise phone numbers of people instead of keeping a phonebook, over time as the mobile phone became popular I eventually used my phone to store the numbers of people instead of committing their numbers to memory. In a way, I feel that I am somewhat "spoiling" my memory by not using it (though it can be argued that it is put to remembering other things). So I think it's pretty amazing that there are people during the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) who would commit themselves to memorising the Quran.

That said, the Quran was still written down during the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). It would be written on stone slabs/parchments/date branches/animal bones/etc and sometimes even paper. Some of the companions would also make copies of verses for their own personal recollection. So there was indeed a copy of the Quran in book form during the time of the Prophet (pbuh).

It was not arranged with the intention of having "long chapters at the front, short at the back", rather it was arranged as it was meant to be arranged.

I think it's really worth reflecting on. I think anyone of us would have great difficulty in writing like that, but then again we are only human.

AabiruSabeel
05-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Below is a short explanation of how the Qu'ran was revealed and compiled in the form of a book.

format_quote Originally Posted by Danish;n746

1. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself supervised and authenticated the written texts of the Qur’an

Whenever the Prophet received a revelation, he would first memorize it himself and later declare the revelation and instruct his Companions (R.A. – Radhi Allahu Taala Anhu) – May Allah be pleased with him who would also memorize it. The Prophet would immediately ask the scribes to write down the revelation he had received, and he would reconfirm and recheck it himself. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was an Ummi who could not read and write. Therefore, after receiving each revelation, he would repeat it to his Companions. They would write down the revelation, and he would recheck by asking them to read what they had written. If there was any mistake, the Prophet would immediately point it out and have it corrected and rechecked. Similarly he would even recheck and authenticate the portions of the Qur’an memorized by the Companions. In this way, the complete Qur’an was written down under the personal supervision of the prophet (pbuh).

2. Order and sequence of Qur’an divinely inspired

The complete Qur’an was revealed over a period of 22½ years portion by portion, as and when it was required. The Qur’an was not compiled by the Prophet in the chronological order of revelation. The order and sequence of the Qur’an too was Divinely inspired and was instructed to the Prophet by Allah (swt) through archangel Jibraeel. Whenever a revelation was conveyed to his companions, the Prophet would also mention in which surah (chapter) and after which ayat (verse) this new revelation should fit.

Every Ramadhaan all the portions of the Qur’an that had been revealed, including the order of the verses, were revised and reconfirmed by the Prophet with archangel Jibraeel. During the last Ramadhaan, before the demise of the Prophet, the Qur’an was rechecked and reconfirmed twice.

It is therefore clearly evident that the Qur’an was compiled and authenticated by the Prophet himself during his lifetime, both in the written form as well as in the memory of several of his Companions.

3. Qur’an copied on one common material

The complete Qur’an, along with the correct sequence of the verses, was present during the time of the Prophet (pbuh). The verses however, were written on separate pieces, scrapes of leather, thin flat stones, leaflets, palm branches, shoulder blades, etc. After the demise of the prophet, Abu Bakr (r.a.), the first caliph of Islam ordered that the Qur’an be copied from the various different materials on to a common material and place, which was in the shape of sheets. These were tied with strings so that nothing of the compilation was lost.

Please read this thread for more details: http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...ion-quran.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
05-12-2014, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto' timestamp='1399801579
Hello Krenki1

When Quran verses revealed, they were not written on the book immediately, but just saved in memories of prophet Muhammad (saw) and his companions. Then after prophet Muhammad (saw) passed away, in era of caliph Usman, the Companion decided to write these Qur'an verses into a book without add, reduce, or change any word. And the Companion decided to write Qur'an book in order like you know today.

How to track back verses from the beginning till the end?. Just read Islamic books which contains information about when and where a verse revealed.
Just a small correction, the order of the Surah is also revealed by Allah :swt: and Jibreel :as: used to recite the complete Qur'an with the Prophet :saws: during Ramadhan. Also, the Ayaat were written down by the companions as soon as they were revealed during the lifetime of the Prophet himself but they were scattered on different sheets until the time of Abu Bakr :ra:.

Walter D
05-24-2014, 04:28 AM
It is a bother i guess and has to be discussed,Basically what i feel is http://arabicspeakingcourse.com/ways-learn-arabic-language/ can help for sure in learning Arabic and if someone knows the appropriate way of learning it,Its quite much necessary to be informed at and having that awareness of learning much more.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!