/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "We" in Quran

jackson
07-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Greetings everyone,

I am a new Muslim and have this (probably basic) question: In a couple of the English translations I have, many ayahs have the word "We" when is seems to be referring to Allah. Does anyone know about this? I would like to better understand it. Thanks! jackson

Examples:
- 6:7
- 6:9
- 5:32
- 5:48

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
07-04-2014, 10:29 PM
:sl: brother jackson

Welcome to Islamic Board.

The same question was asked before by other members. Please check this thread, you will find the answers here: http://www.islamicboard.com/forum/le...8033-who-is-we

strivingobserver98
07-04-2014, 10:33 PM
:sl:

Welcome to Islam beautiful way of life, Allah has guided you to this deen alhamdulilah. I think you made a typo "Muslim since 1014" unless your 1000 years old :giggling:

On this website you can find the answer to your question :ia: here's the link http://islamqa.info/en/606

drac16
07-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Allah azza wa jal often uses the royal plural to express His Majesty, but He also uses a singular pronoun when expressing His Oneness (and you'll find that all throughout the Qur'an). There's no contradiction there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Taha110
09-12-2014, 02:40 AM

This is known as the "royal plural". It is present in Hebrew as well-- maybe all semitic languages, I'm not sure. But it doesn't imply an actual plurality, it just uses the plural to express greatness. Some monarchs and leaders use it even today. I can't give a good example of somebody using it today, but I can give you an example from the Book of Genesis. Remember that throughout the entire Hebrew/Jewish Bible, tawhid is reinforced over and over. The Israelites would have not allowed any form of polytheism to make its way into their Bible so you can use this as an example of the royal plural being used for a singular deity.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." (Genesis 1:26)

.muslim girl.
09-15-2014, 01:31 PM
the plural in my language it's as a maximizing
cause allah is great

i think they shouldn't translate it like this "we"
because this thing only in Arabic language

saif-uddin
09-15-2014, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jackson
Greetings everyone,

I am a new Muslim and have this (probably basic) question: In a couple of the English translations I have, many ayahs have the word "We" when is seems to be referring to Allah. Does anyone know about this? I would like to better understand it. Thanks! jackson

Examples:
- 6:7
- 6:9
- 5:32
- 5:48
Peace be Upon those who recieve Guidance,

Jackson this is the Royal Plural used by Allah ta'ala,

like Queen or King uses, similarly used in asian languages like Hindi "Hum" which can refer to a person, or more than one person depending on who is saying it etc,

regards

Signor
09-16-2014, 03:28 PM

I've addressed this question once,Visit the link

http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...ml#post1604403

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!