/* */

PDA

View Full Version : First Time In 10 Years I Forgot To Wear A Hat When Praying Namaaz

Iceee
07-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Salaam.

It happened. I left my home a few hours ago for Zuhr namaaz at the masjid. Half-way through my walk, I realized that I had forgotten my tophee (Kufi) that I always cover my hair with when praying. I thought maybe the mosque would have extra hats.

I go to the mosque, and everyone is cleaning everything. Carpets are being washed, the vacuum is on full force sweeping everything, and all the Muslim brothers were running around everywhere for the coming Eid. I couldn't find the box where the hats were and was afraid to ask.

So I entered the prayer room and prayed without a hat at the masjid for the first time since I was a little kid. I felt people stare at me, I felt uncomfortable, I felt different / insecure without it. It felt weird.

Thought I would share this story just before Eid. My Mom got angry at me for forgetting it but I didn't forget to leave my phone at home :embarrass

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
07-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Salaams,

Got some time... and the internet is available...;D ...

Guess what? despite the best intentions, Allah is the BEST of planners! We are human and prone to forget :hmm:

Woke my kids up early like 6.30am and planned to leave the house by 7 to visit the graves of my parents, grand prents and close relatives (in separate places) and then get ready for the prayers at 8.30...... didn't make it for the prayers! You still have a mom to scold you. She cares. If she ignores you then it is something entirely different... :cry: but I can only now read bits of the quran for my mom at her grave. My children followed me there and said their piece. It has been a strange one, this Eid, but peaceful.

Forgive your mom, love her because she is your only mother.... (not a lecture here just a reflective memory from my part due a recent passing of my mom). I dearly miss them both!

Chase
07-29-2014, 04:55 AM
I'm confused, is wearing a hat for Salat obligatory? Here, people don't wear hats and no one has ever commented on it.

greenhill
07-29-2014, 01:38 PM
No it is not as far as I know.... but it is like sunnah. The aurat is essential but the rest..... But if you were to put it in a diferent way, like if you were going out, so to speak, would you not want to be dressed well? So why not when facing Allah in your prayers? :statisfie

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
07-29-2014, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chase
I'm confused, is wearing a hat for Salat obligatory? Here, people don't wear hats and no one has ever commented on it.
Some people make this hat fardh I can understand why they do that but I don't think it's right. Sunnah stays sunnah, fardh stays fardh. One of my bangladeshi teachers quite cultural he said "Even if you give me 1 million pounds I will not take off hat in salah". Subhan Allah. May Allah reward them for their dedication to the sunnah Ameen.

Shaykh hasan Ali has mentioned this topic in his lecture which can be found here - Salafi vs. Sufi & Bid'ah - 1/2 - Shaykh Hasan Ali - YouTube

Long lecture but well worth the watch, lot of other topics in there too.

Iceee
07-29-2014, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chase
I'm confused, is wearing a hat for Salat obligatory?
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
No it is not as far as I know.... but it is like sunnah.
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Some people make this hat fardh I can understand why they do that but I don't think it's right. Sunnah stays sunnah, fardh stays fardh.
Salaam.

A few months ago, I asked this question as to whether or not men should wear long sleeves when praying namaaz.

Whether or not you wear a cap when praying namaaz or not doesn't make you more or less a Muslim. It can be similar to people who raise their hands before changing positions in namaaz or how close or far our hands are to one-another when making dua.' We all are Muslims, yes, maybe we are not the exact same, but we are all praying to the same God, Allah Subhanahuwatallah.

I myself wear a tophee (as my family calls it) because it's mostly cultural. All the males in my parents family wear it so they make me wear it as well since I was little.

aflawedbeing
07-29-2014, 10:00 PM
If it's cultural, I don't think it really deserves a scolding. I try to wear a kufi when I pray (for the Sunnah), but if I forget to bring one, can't find one or don't I'm not going to dwell on it and let it distract me from my salah because I feel 'people are staring'.

Brother, chin up. Alhamdulillah, you prayed, in the masjid no less!

Take care.

jameelash
09-23-2014, 07:28 AM
wearing hat while prayig is sunnh..and i dont think thereswrong inforgetting once ina while.but remember one love his father or some one intensivly he will
sure to follow his fathers step in every way.likewise only who love our beloved prophet will automatically follow the sunnath and abundance of reward too.but sunnah is not farz.if one leave a sunnah some times by chance there is no need to stern the person.islam is made easy.we need not make it difficult.
inshahAllah may Allah accept our good amals in everyway.aameen

InToTheRain
09-23-2014, 11:28 AM
:salam:

It's nice that you feel so strongly for the Sunnah :)
Prayer is the most important Pillar of Islam and Mohammad(SAW) has never prayed while His head was uncovered. It's not Fardh but undoubtedly it is a very important Sunnah and one that should not be neglected. Question is on what basis can we afford to neglect any Sunnah?

Amat Allah
09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Assalaamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

With all respect, May I ask you please to bring me the Sahih Adillah confirming that wearing the kofi is a Sunnah that the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) advised us to do?

introspective
09-23-2014, 03:37 PM
One can perform outward acts of piety (i.e. wear a kufi, grow a beard, wear scented oil, using miswak) but it doesn't make them righteous. Would you view a non-Arab wearing a thobe any different from an Arab wearing a polo and khakis when it comes to piety?

Only Allah knows what truly resides in the hearts and minds.

Amat Allah
09-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Taqwa is to fear Allah; not breaking His orders nor transgressing His limits and when you fall in such things then you return to Him with true and sincere repentance and feeling of regret for what you have done asking His forgiveness and trying your best to stay clean as much as you could and never forget to ask forgiveness all the time...

not along beard nor a kofi would take us to Jannah or throw us in hell but what inside of our hearts from Taqwa and Emaan after Allah's mercy and justice..those two if they would envelope the heart of a believer then his steps on the path of Allah will be firm till returning to Allah in shaa Allah...

InToTheRain
09-23-2014, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
Assalaamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

With all respect, May I ask you please to bring me the Sahih Adillah confirming that wearing the kofi is a Sunnah that the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) advised us to do?
Walaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu Sister

Covering of the Head During Salaah

Ibn Umar (R.A.) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) wore a white hat. (Tabarani — Allama Suyuti has classified this Hadith as highly authentic: see Sirajul Muneer; v.4, pg.112). It is written in Fataawa Thunaaiyya vol. 1, pg. 525), and in the Fatawaa of the Ahle Hadith Scholars (vol. 4 pg.291) that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) always used to keep his mubarak head covered during salaah. In the same books it is also mentioned that to intentionally remove the headgear (hat) and perform salaah bare-headed is contrary to the sunnah. (vol. 1, pg.523.)

Praying Salah bare-headed is against Sunnah! | Acts of Worship | Fiqh

format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
One can perform outward acts of piety (i.e. wear a kufi, grow a beard, wear scented oil, using miswak) but it doesn't make them righteous. Would you view a non-Arab wearing a thobe any different from an Arab wearing a polo and khakis when it comes to piety?

Only Allah knows what truly resides in the hearts and minds.
Assalamualaikum Brother :)

That is true however We shouldn't associate people who practice Sunnah with Riyah (Showing off); that is something we leave to Allah Most High. If we stop practicing Sunnah because we think "others will think I am showing off so I won't do it" you would be falsely be turning something Allah Most High Loves into something He hates. Even worse we would be discouraging Sunnah. That is a terrible thing to do. Rather we should always try do Sunnah to the best of our abilities because it draws us closer to Allah Most High; not because others will think I am rightious if I do it or bad if I don't.

It's one extreme to only do Sunnah to seem rightious, and another extreme to not do it to show you don't care about what others think. In both cases you actually give more priority to what others think above what Allah Most High wants.

Amat Allah
09-23-2014, 07:33 PM
May Allah love you my respected and noble brother, Be pleased with you and elevate your status in dunya and Akhirah to the highest ranks and levels Allahumma Aameeen

from what I see from Adillah; there is no a single Dalil mentioned that the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) ordered us or even advised us of wearing kufi or Emaamah...

O son of my beloved and precious Ummah; wearing the Emaamah and kufi at that time was the habit and custom of Arabs (whether Muslims or Mushrikoon) even now some Arabian wears Emaamah and some kufi from different sizes, shapes and colors.

if wearing kufi or Emaamah from sunnah because the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)used to wear it then even wearing Ezaar (Izar) and Qameess (like what the people of Yemen, India, Indonesia and other country wear today) are sunnah too but it is not according Adillah. it is just a custom and a habit of his Ummah (people) at that time so he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to wear the same.

And Allah knows the best

InToTheRain
09-23-2014, 09:47 PM
May Allah love you my respected and noble brother, Be pleased with you and elevate your status in dunya and Akhirah to the highest ranks and levels Allahumma Aameeen

from what I see from Adillah; there is no a single Dalil mentioned that the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) ordered us or even advised us of wearing kufi or Emaamah...

O son of my beloved and precious Ummah; wearing the Emaamah and kufi at that time was the habit and custom of Arabs (whether Muslims or Mushrikoon) even now some Arabian wears Emaamah and some kufi from different sizes, shapes and colors.

if wearing kufi or Emaamah from sunnah because the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)used to wear it then even wearing Ezaar (Izar) and Qameess (like what the people of Yemen, India, Indonesia and other country wear today) are sunnah too but it is not according Adillah. it is just a custom and a habit of his Ummah (people) at that time so he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to wear the same.

And Allah knows the best
Thanks for the Dua Dear Sister, May Allah Most High accept it for you and me.

I am not sure what your definition of Sunnah is but I will clarify my position in hopes that I can be corrected if I am wrong.

The Early Definition and Implications of the Word ‘Sunnah’

The Sunnah, as it is commonly defined, is the "words, actions, tacit approval and characteristics of the Prophet". This is the definition that was given to it by Imam ash-Shafi’i, which the people of hadith concurred upon. But as is evident in the proceeding quote from Imam Malik, this was not the definition that he understood. To Imam Malik and the people of Madina before and after him, the Sunnah including the totality of the Prophet, the Sahabah and the agreed upon practice of the Tabi’een. Hence, in the mind of Imam Malik, the Sahabah and Tabi’een, in a sense, were held on the same level as the Prophet’s personal sunnah. That is not to say that the Sahabah were equals with the Prophet, but rather, the conclusions and massly accepted ijtihad of the Sahabah and the subsequent rulings of the Tabi’een, were the explanation and extension of the Sunnah, in the same way that the Sunnah is considered to be an explanation and extension of the Qur’an, and hence, Imam ash-Shafi’i’s statement:

I do not know anyone among the ulama to oppose (the idea) that the Sunnah of the Prophet is of three types: first is the Sunnah which prescribes the like of what Allah has revealed in His Book; next is the Sunnah which explains the general principles of the Qur’an and clarifies the will of Allah; and last is the Sunnah where the Messenger of Allah has ruled on matters on which nothing can be found in the Book of Allah. The first two varieties are integral to the Qur’an, but the ulama have differed as to the third.

Hence in the same manner, the Sunnah is of three other types: the Sunnah of the Prophet as mentioned above, the Sunnah of the Companions which explains and supplements the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah, and the last is the Sunnah of the Tabi’een that was transmitted to them from the Sahabah, which they acted upon and ruled in accordance of when they could find nothing in the former. And in the same manner, the first two are agreed upon, while the ulama have differed in regards to the third.
So "Tacit approval" of Sunnah, as described by Shafi(RA), comes under something that which is understood without being implied or stated by Mohammad(SAW). The covering of the head also falls into this category. Imam Malik(RA) used the agreed upon practices (Ijma) of Tabi'en as Dalil for Sunnah. Undoudtedly the 4 Imams and their students had better understanding of Sunnah then we do for many reasons. So Sunnah isn't only which Mohammad(SAW) commanded according to the defenition of 2 of the great Imams but also that which he(SAW) implied without having stated.

According their definitions of Sunnah there is evidence to say wearing the Kufi is Sunnah:
Tabrani And Imaam Suyuti: Ibn Umar (RadhiAllaahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullaah (SallAllaahu Alayhi Wa sallam) used to wear a white cap (kufi). Tabrani has reported this hadeeth to be Hasan (reliable) and Suyuti has classified this hadeeth as highly authentic (Sahih) in the book Sirajul Muneer vol #4 pg#112)

Amat Allah
09-24-2014, 12:37 AM
I understand my respected brother, I truly do May Allah be pleased with you Aameeen

still want you to understand my point: wearing the kufi or Emaamah wasn't a special deed of the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) it was the habit and custom in that time...

and above you said:

format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain
In the same books it is also mentioned that to intentionally remove the headgear (hat) and perform salaah bare-headed is
contrary to the sunnah. (vol. 1, pg.523.)
saying that intentionally removing the headgear; performing the salaah bare-headed is contrary to the sunnah means that whoever does that is doing something wrong and haraam cause doing something against the sunnah is haraam and we don't wanna burden the believers with such ruling which is not exist.

Brother Muhammad May Allah be pleased with him opened my eyes and reminded me after Allah of explaining for my brothers and sister that imitating the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) in whatever he had done and said out of love of the Rasoolullah (Alyhi Assalaatu Wa Assalaam) may be rewarded from Allah Sub'haanahu Wa Ta'aalaa.

Rasool Allah (salla Allahu alyhi wa sallam) loved the pumpkin and used to pick it from the dish:

“Yahya related to me from Malik that Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha heard Anas ibn Malik say that a certain tailor invited the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, to eat some food which he had prepared. Anas said, "I went with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, to eat the food. He served barley bread and a soup with pumpkin in it. I saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, going after the pumpkin around the dish, so I have always liked pumpkin since that day."” (Malik, Book 28, Hadith 28.21.51 )

Anas b. Malik reported that a person invited Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to a meal. I also went along with him. He brought soup containing pumpkin. Allah's 'messenger (may peace be upon him) ate that pumpkin with relish. He (Anas) said: When I saw that I began to place it before him, and did not eat it (myself). Anas said: It was since then that pumpkin was always my favourite (food). (Muslim, Book 23, Hadith 5068)

Anas (ra) reported that “The Prophet used to like pumpkin. He was brought some food and invited to eat. I picked up the pumpkin in the plate and put it before him because I knew he liked it.” (Tirmidhi)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) loved the pumpkin and used to eat it; the Sahaabi Anas (Radiya Allahu Anhu) realized that and for his love of the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) started loving and eating pumpkin since then. Now the question is: eating the pumpkin was a deed of Rasool Allah (Salla Allahu Alyhi Wa Sallam); do I have to eat it too? and if not eating it then am I doing something contrary to the sunnah?

have you understood me my respected brother? waAllahi I don't mean to stop anyone from doing any kind of good deeds nor I want to argue or going against what is written above I just wanna explain for you to understand and all of you...

there are differences between the deeds that we must follow the prophet in (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and by leaving them we do sin;those are which he ordered us to do strictly and between the deeds which are from Sunnah but we have the free will of doing them or not (by doing them will get the reward by leaving it we are not sinning) like the nafl of salah and fasting and between the deeds which are the habit and the nature of the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) as a human being and none is forced to do them ever and whoever want to then May Allah reward him Aaameeen

I hope that you do understand and if not then I beg your pardon and forgiveness for my dereliction.

introspective
09-24-2014, 06:13 AM
If we stop practicing Sunnah because we think "others will think I am showing off so I won't do it" you would be falsely be turning something Allah Most High Loves into something He hates. Even worse we would be discouraging Sunnah. That is a terrible thing to do.
*smh*

No offense but your view comes off a bit naive and presumptuous.

Some may personally emphasize less on the sunnah acts and would rather devote more of their energy towards getting more out of the fardh acts.

InToTheRain
09-24-2014, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by introspective
*smh*

No offense but your view comes off a bit naive and presumptuous.

Some may personally emphasize less on the sunnah acts and would rather devote more of their energy towards getting more out of the fardh acts.
Assalamualaikum Dear Brother,

Your probably right about me being naive and presumtious. May Allah Most High guide us to act in the manner which Pleases Him. So no offence taken :)

Sunnah should complement your Fardh Ibadah; obviously if someone has trouble doing Fardh due to Sunnah then they shouldn't do it. Nowhere was I trying to say we should prioritise Sunnah above fard.

Allah Most High will not hold me accountable for how others interpret my words but for my intentions. I believe you will also agree if you refer to your previous post :P

I understand my respected brother, I truly do May Allah be pleased with you Aameeen

still want you to understand my point: wearing the kufi or Emaamah wasn't a special deed of the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) it was the habit and custom in that time...

and above you said:

saying that intentionally removing the headgear; performing the salaah bare-headed is contrary to the sunnah means that whoever does that is doing something wrong and haraam cause doing something against the sunnah is haraam and we don't wanna burden the believers with such ruling which is not exist.

Brother Muhammad May Allah be pleased with him opened my eyes and reminded me after Allah of explaining for my brothers and sister that imitating the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) in whatever he had done and said out of love of the Rasoolullah (Alyhi Assalaatu Wa Assalaam) may be rewarded from Allah Sub'haanahu Wa Ta'aalaa.

Rasool Allah (salla Allahu alyhi wa sallam) loved the pumpkin and used to pick it from the dish:

“Yahya related to me from Malik that Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha heard Anas ibn Malik say that a certain tailor invited the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, to eat some food which he had prepared. Anas said, "I went with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, to eat the food. He served barley bread and a soup with pumpkin in it. I saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, going after the pumpkin around the dish, so I have always liked pumpkin since that day."” (Malik, Book 28, Hadith 28.21.51 )

Anas b. Malik reported that a person invited Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to a meal. I also went along with him. He brought soup containing pumpkin. Allah's 'messenger (may peace be upon him) ate that pumpkin with relish. He (Anas) said: When I saw that I began to place it before him, and did not eat it (myself). Anas said: It was since then that pumpkin was always my favourite (food). (Muslim, Book 23, Hadith 5068)

Anas (ra) reported that “The Prophet used to like pumpkin. He was brought some food and invited to eat. I picked up the pumpkin in the plate and put it before him because I knew he liked it.” (Tirmidhi)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) loved the pumpkin and used to eat it; the Sahaabi Anas (Radiya Allahu Anhu) realized that and for his love of the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) started loving and eating pumpkin since then. Now the question is: eating the pumpkin was a deed of Rasool Allah (Salla Allahu Alyhi Wa Sallam); do I have to eat it too? and if not eating it then am I doing something contrary to the sunnah?

have you understood me my respected brother? waAllahi I don't mean to stop anyone from doing any kind of good deeds nor I want to argue or going against what is written above I just wanna explain for you to understand and all of you...

there are differences between the deeds that we must follow the prophet in (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and by leaving them we do sin;those are which he ordered us to do strictly and between the deeds which are from Sunnah but we have the free will of doing them or not (by doing them will get the reward by leaving it we are not sinning) like the nafl of salah and fasting and between the deeds which are the habit and the nature of the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) as a human being and none is forced to do them ever and whoever want to then May Allah reward him Aaameeen

I hope that you do understand and if not then I beg your pardon and forgiveness for my dereliction.
:salam: Dear Sister :)

Your point is clear and Brother Mohammad has said a beautiful thing (I have bolded it above). I agree what you said regarding it being optional. I think "contrary" is a strong word and you are right to interpret it as you did; May Allah Most High forgive me and all those who may have been offended by what I have written.

My intention was to show covering the head was Sunnah. If not doing it was Haram obviously your prayer wouldn't be valid and this we know is not the case. I will quote Mufti Taqi Usmani on why I think it's important to cover the Head which summarizes my opinion on this issue.

Covering one's head during salah is a sunnah and one should act upon it to the best possible extent, however, it is not a mandatory condition for the validity of salah therefore, the obligation is discharged without it, though devoid of the blessings of sunnah. We should try our best to make our salah as close to the sunnah as possible. Even a slight carelessness may deprive us from the barakah and reward which every sunnah of the Holy Prophet, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, may bring to his true follower. Therefore, we should not take this matter lightly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!