/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Focus during Salat

jkekeis
08-06-2014, 05:43 AM
As-salamu alaykum all,

Having embraced Allah's (SWT) religion in the last few months, I find myself during salat having numerous thoughts about things that are not related to the salat. I pray in a room by myself, other than the occasional witnessing by my cat, and the only thing operating is a fan to circulate air. I find myself sometimes thinking of other things and have trouble focusing sometimes to the point that I have to stop, remember what I am doing, and then continue. Does anyone have suggestions for clearing the mind prior to salat?

I thank you all in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
08-06-2014, 06:37 PM
:wa:

Here's a related hadith to help you :ia:

One of the Sahaabah complained to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about waswaas during prayer, and he said: “The Shaytaan comes between me and my prayers and my recitation, confusing me therein.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “That is a devil called Khanzab. If he affects you seek refuge in Allah from him and spit drily to your left three times.” He [the Sahaabi] said, I did that and Allaah took him away from me.

(Narrated by Muslim, 2203)

Hamza Asadullah
08-06-2014, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jkekeis
As-salamu alaykum all,

Having embraced Allah's (SWT) religion in the last few months, I find myself during salat having numerous thoughts about things that are not related to the salat. I pray in a room by myself, other than the occasional witnessing by my cat, and the only thing operating is a fan to circulate air. I find myself sometimes thinking of other things and have trouble focusing sometimes to the point that I have to stop, remember what I am doing, and then continue. Does anyone have suggestions for clearing the mind prior to salat?

I thank you all in advance.
Wa Alaikum Asalaam,

3 ways of attaining focus in our Salaah (prayer) - You will be amazed!

How many of us pray our Salaah day in and day out yet we feel nothing. We pray like robots and we gain nothing from our Salaah except wanting it to end as quickly as possible. We still continue to sin like as if we never prayed Salaah in the first place. Many of us who pray even go days without even thinking of Allah during the prayer. This is because our Salaah has been stolen from us by our own negligence and a heedless heart and mind.

Therefore we must put a stop to this at once. How can we continue to pray in such a way when we are missing out on experiencing the true sweetness of Salaah. We are missing out on such great things which can only be experienced by being able to fully concentrate in Salaah with a focused mind.

So we must make a firm intention and internalise in our minds that we will strive to do our very best to concentrate and focus in our Salaah so that we may connect with Allah in our Salaah. Once we have connected with Allah in our Salaah then our lives will change for the better and will never be the same again!

The following are just three steps for us to be able to attain proper focus in Salaah!:

1. Do not overeat:

By overeating our mind cannot remain focused as we feel discomfort from a bloated stomach. We can hardly stand still in our prayer as we ate so much. Therefore we must not overeat before our Salaah but eat until we are satisfied and NOT until we are so full that we cannot even move!

2. Prepare for the Salaah:

When we are prepare to go to an interview then many of us will shower, make sure we smell good, put on our best clothes etc. But why is it when we prepare to meet with Allah in our prayers then we go to our prayer in our pyjamas? We pray in clothing that we would not even imagine wearing outside of the house. This is a pathetic state of affairs we are in. We dress so smartly and look our best when we go to an interview to see a creation of Allah yet when we go to see our creator we dress in our worst clothes!

Who is higher than our creator? Who deserves from us that we be in our cleanest state and very best clothing than our Master the lord of the worlds?

Therefore whenever we approach our prayer then we must ensure that we are in the very cleanest state preferably making fresh Wudu before each Salaah and in our best clothes so that our minds are prepared for the meeting with Allah as the Salaah is a meeting with our creator.

3. Focus on Allah:

Before commencing our Salaah we may have all kinds of thoughts in our minds like work, family, finances, food, our past and future events in our lives and even sinful thoughts. So we must not go into the prayer like this otherwise we will be thinking about all of these things during our Salaah and our mind will be distracted and occupied with all kinds of thoughts. Therefore we must take out a little time even a minute or two to try to focus our minds towards Allah. If it helps to close the eyes briefly then do it. Do the following exercise:

Just before your Salaah:

- Imagine your mind is wiped clean like a sheet of paper. There is nothing in your mind for it is wiped clean. Now focus and Imagine that you are laying on the death bed and you see around your that your family are mourning you. But you cannot respond to them for your are dead. No one else can help you except Allah. Focus on Allah. Only Allah can help you.

- Now imagine that you are being lowered into the grave and when you are put onto the dirt then people start dropping the dirt onto you until your grave is filled. Now who can help you except Allah. Focus on Allah.

- Now imagine that you have been raised up on the day of resurrection onto the plains of Arafat. You are running to the central area for Judgement. People around you are also running and they are screaming and panicking like you have never seen before. No one can help you now. Even your Mother does not look at you because she is in fear. Who will come to your aide except Allah. Only Allah. Focus on Allah

- Now imagine that you are in front of Allah on the day of Judgement and he asks you to show him your prayer. What will you show him as you never even focused properly in your Salaah. You always thought of other things when you should have focused on your creator. So you feel utterly ashamed of showing your worthless prayers to Allah. Therefore you beg Allah for one more chance to perfect your prayer. You ask Allah to return you to the Earth so that you may do your prayer properly. Almighty Allah grants you just one chance to go back to the Earth to show him that you can do your prayer properly.

- Now start your prayer and focus on Allah as you are in the present. Do not think of your past and do not think of your future. Keep imagining to yourself:

"I have no past, I have no future, I am in the present and Allah is watching me".

When you recite Surah Fathiha and any other Surah then imagine you are reciting it to Allah. When you go down to Ruku (bent position) then focus on Allah. When you go to Sajda (prostration) then focus on Allah, When you come up to Tashahud then focus on Allah. Each and everything you recite and every position you go into in Salaah then focus on Allah as he is watching you and the Angel of Death is behind you waiting for you to finish your prayer so that he may take your soul! This is how we should concentrate in every Salaah because each and every Salaah may be our last.

So keep repeating this concentration and focus exercise before each Salaah until your focus becomes 100%. It may begin to be less at first but it will improve gradually. Even if we trip and fall then keep gong until you achieve 100% focus every time. Spend however long it takes before each Salaah so that you can focus before you begin. It will not necessarily be an over night change but gradually you will be able to focus more and more in your Salaah and this focus will also help you to focus in other aspects of your life inshaAllah. Ask of Allah to help you focus in each Salaah to give you the true sweetness of the Salaah.

May Allah enable us to pray each Salaah with full focus and concentration so that we may attain the true sweetness of Salaah!

jkekeis
08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
- Now imagine that you are in front of Allah on the day of Judgement and he asks you to show him your prayer. What will you show him as you never even focused properly in your Salaah. You always thought of other things when you should have focused on your creator. So you feel utterly ashamed of showing your worthless prayers to Allah. Therefore you beg Allah for one more chance to perfect your prayer. You ask Allah to return you to the Earth so that you may do your prayer properly. Almighty Allah grants you just one chance to go back to the Earth to show him that you can do your prayer properly.

- Now start your prayer and focus on Allah as you are in the present. Do not think of your past and do not think of your future. Keep imagining to yourself:

"I have no past, I have no future, I am in the present and Allah is watching me".
As-salamu alyakum,

I must say, that I just tried this during 'Asr here and it was quite effective. I thank you so much for your support.
May Allah's Grace be upon you, brother.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
08-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Alhumdulillah beautiful advise in this thread, it even helped me :)

greenhill
08-07-2014, 03:57 AM
Will try as advised above... :D

Just to share jkekeis, from what I hear it is a common issue with most that I have had the chance to converse with on the matter. Just have to re focus again and again. It is a lifelong commitment to perfection... I suffer the same.

Peace

Ahmad H
08-10-2014, 12:08 AM
You know, to help build concentration once again. It is best to wake for Tahajjud once in a while. I find that during the odd days I wake up for it, it is the most peaceful feeling in the world. It feels like the world is asleep and only you and a few others who bother to wake up for His sake at night are doing it. It is a great honorable feeling.

That peace helps relax me and keeps me from worrying and stress. Since the "night is made for rest" according to the Holy Qur'an, this keeps you from worrying about what things you normally have to do, since the "day is created for work". I understand this verse in this way now because I felt the effect of day and night prayers. It is a huge difference.

Hopefully, if you do Tahajjud a couple of times, then you should become aware of how to concentrate once again during Salat. This advice is from personal experience. Everyone else above already gave the best advice from the Holy Prophet (saw). So I hope this is an added bonus for you.

Muhammad Waqqas
08-10-2014, 07:05 AM
I believe the focus during Salah is basically your ta3aluuq-o-meeter with Allah :) I'm sorry I just made up that word.. but what I mean is.. to know how much relationship you have with Allah.. you just have to look at the percentage of Salaah you're focused towards Him.

To be focused towards Allah (or be it any one else for that matter) you should 'know' who that person is? isn't it true?

If you have ever come across a relationship with any one who you kept thinking about.. it would be because you knew something about them..

Before making Salaah, talk to someone about who Allah is.. It doesn't have to be something very scholarly.. But things like..

"Allah is the one who created the heavens and the earth.. all the things I can see.. the sky, the earth.. the wind, the plants and herbs and shrubs.. SubhanAllah.. Everything is under his control ALONE.. He is the KING.. the RUB, the sustainer of All the human beings around the world.. and all the Animals.. and all the living things.. They are NOTHING without Allah.. "

اذا قلت هذه كلمات... فتعت لها ابواب السماوات

KNOWING Allah is Loving Him.. Loving Him is Worshiping him..

Please read this: Who is Allah?

And THEN pray 2 rakaat nawafil.. and then see the difference it will have made, inshaAllah.

Newly Born
08-10-2014, 08:13 AM
You are running to the central area for Judgement. People around you are also running and they are screaming and panicking like you have never seen before. No one can help you now. Even your Mother does not look at you because she is in fear. Who will come to your aide except Allah. Only Allah. Focus on Allah

- Now imagine that you are in front of Allah on the day of Judgement and he asks you to show him your prayer
Now start your prayer and
After 2 hours for Zuhr I will try these pieces of advice. I am hoping it will work and my salat will be more focused than ever before.
May Allah (swt) reward your effort brother!

tw009
08-12-2014, 05:25 AM
I have read that if you want to focus on Allah in your prayers, it helps to focus more on Him outside your prayers... soo it's good to be mindful of your action and your words in your daily routine. This way you are constantly being reminded that Allah is watching your every movement.

Ammar67
08-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

Here is a video you might likel:

I can't paste links yet so: youtube.com/watch?v=GdzA12s20CM

jkekeis
08-20-2014, 11:51 AM
As-salamu alaykum

I know that this is a different subject, but I didn't want to start a new post just for it. I have sensitive eyes and regularly have to wear sunglasses outdoors to protect them because they bulge out from a previous thyroid condition. At work I am allowed to pray (Alhamdulillah for that) but I find myself outdoors at times and want to pray, but I am unsure if sunglasses can be worn while performing salat outdoors. Anyone who knows, can you please clarify.

HamzaTR
08-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Salam. I think we need to think about and focus on the philosophy of prayer (why do we pray), rather than the form of prayer (how to pray). Even when we focus on the form, we need to ask about its philosophy (e.g. what is the meaning of the verse we recite? What are the reasons behind the postures we make?), for instance, why there is one ruku but two sajda in every rakah? Learning about these things can be a helper in focusing :) May Allah bless you. ma salam

ShyFerdousi
09-04-2014, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
:wa:

Here's a related hadith to help you :ia:
One of the Sahaabah complained to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about waswaas during prayer, and he said: “The Shaytaan comes between me and my prayers and my recitation, confusing me therein.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “That is a devil called Khanzab. If he affects you seek refuge in Allah from him and spit drily to your left three times.” He [the Sahaabi] said, I did that and Allaah took him away from me.

(Narrated by Muslim, 2203)

Assalamualaikum brother! How to do that? During Salah we can't spit, right? Do you suggest doing it after that?

gord
09-04-2014, 04:55 PM
I don't know Arabic very well, so when I pray I focus on what the words mean. As I say them, I think about why I am praying and saying these words. I realize I am praising Allah. Then when I get to the Samial-lahu liman-hamidah (sorry for bad spelling), I realize that Allah wants us to do this and he will listen to us because we praise him inshallah.

I find it also helps before you start prayer to in your heart set that you are praying to be submissive to Allah and then when you bring up your hands for the first allahu ackbar, all your worldy thoughts are thrown away like the wind.

ShyFerdousi
09-04-2014, 05:07 PM
There are a few things I do to be more attentive during my Salah.

1. I say it to myself again and again that this could be my last Salah, so I should try to perform it more perfectly.
2. I imagine the day Judgement day.
3. Reminding myself of the grave I will be buried in.
4. How many blessings Allah has given me.

And a lot of stuff like that and they actually help me. Hope they will help you brother in sha Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!