/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ward the Pirate (1553 - 1622)

InToTheRain
08-22-2014, 11:11 AM
:sl:

Were they pirates, or were they warriors for Islam?

Read more to find out :)
Ward the Pirate

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Patrick
02-07-2015, 02:44 PM
It's a good question. On one hand he lived properly as far as personal mannerisms with islam are concerned. He also converted many to his cause. I don't know maybe the proper tactic is when prisoners were captured they were offered the option of converting. To me it was more of a convert or die approach I could be wrong though I only went over it once. But who knows tales can be fabricated as he was myth like. He deffinently is an interesting figure that I have not heard of. I think it's a toss up. It's very hard to find what I look at as a 100 percent fighter of islam. When someone knows all of your deeds it is hard to be perfect. In essence that is what one is to strive for if ever jihad is to be fought. So I think he most was a fighter for islam but I know it becomes hard for us to ever truly decipher right from wrong in these manners. As in Islam much of the actions that involve fighting itself are a last option. And an option that involves probably more concern in the way you go about in doing so than any other action. So for me it is difficult to tell. But if you ask me and not what an overall opinion is I would say he was.

Scimitar
02-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Bro Patrick,

jihad is only ever fought physically for defensive purposes - not offensive ones.

Secondly, the greater Jihad - in context - is the struggle one takes upon him/her self to perfect oneself.

So usually, whenever a Muslim mentions jihad, it is in reference to the personal struggle of the "self", not defensive struggle against an invader or oppressor.

On that note, for the defensive jihad to be justified, it has to meet certain criteria - and only a leader of Muslim nations can make this demand (for Muslims to gather and form a defensive army to fight off the invaders)

These understandings are usually overlooked by non Muslims because they only ever see the word jihad used in the media in a whack context. The reality is quite different.

Hope this helps,

Scimi

Patrick
02-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the information. I understand that jihad has meanings that do not involve fighting but striving for the purpose of Allah. I was just contemplating if ward was. In his fighting I'd say not so much as you've stated. In his self practice? I don't know what his ultimate goal was. Was it to bring people to islam? Was it to use his belongings to help the poor. I don't know I would need to know more of his story.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!