/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does this words mean? (Surah Baqara)

new2010
09-01-2014, 01:25 AM
:sl:

In Surah Baqara in the beginning are these two words, can you please explain me the difference please?

يَعۡلَمُونَ+يَشۡعُرُونَ

:jz:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
09-01-2014, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
:sl:

In Surah Baqara in the beginning are these two words, can you please explain me the difference please?

يَعۡلَمُونَ+يَشۡعُرُونَ

:jz:

Assalaamu alaikum,

You didn't state which ayahs you were looking at, but I think I know which you mean: around ayahs 9-13? But correct me if I'm mistaken.

شعر =Form I verb: to learn or understand intuitively; to realize, notice; to perceive, feel, sense; to be conscious, aware.

This root yields words for fine hair-like things (fur, wire, vermicelli...), as well as things that help you to notice other things (like slogans, symbols, religious rites and sites).

In surah al-Baqarah 9, for instance, I believe that what is being stated is that those who seek to deceive Allah (and those who believe), are actually only misleading themselves but they are not aware of it. They have no perception of the true state of affairs.

علم =Form I verb: to know, have knowledge, be cognizant, aware, be informed; to discern, find out, learn; to distinguish, differentiate.

This root yields words relating to information (giving, acquiring, exposing, possessing).

In al-Baqarah 13, for instance, those who seek to deceive are not cognizant of the reality of their state. They believe themselves to be knowledgeable, and others as stupid and foolish. But in fact, Allah is saying (I think), that they themselves are lacking in knowledge, and can't discern this reality.

There is a certain amount of overlap between the two verbs you asked about. But in essence, I think that sha'ara has more of a meaning of knowing through perception, and 'alima has more of a meaning of knowledge through more intellectual processes. This is how I understand them.

But only Allah truly Knows.

.muslim girl.
09-17-2014, 08:25 PM
يَعۡلَمُون = They Know
يَشۡعُرُونَ = They Feel

:D

.muslim girl.
09-17-2014, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
شعر =Form I verb: to learn or understand intuitively; to realize, notice; to perceive, feel, sense; to be conscious, aware.
My brother !
this word (شعر) it's mean hair or verse

but allah said in Quran (يشعرون)
it's mean (they feel)
شعور = it's mean feelings

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
09-17-2014, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .muslim girl.
My brother !
this word (شعر) it's mean hair or verse
(smile) You are correct. This does mean "hair" and similar words. But this is a noun ( الإسم ) . I was looking at the verb ( الفعل ) and it's meanings.

format_quote Originally Posted by .muslim girl.
but allah said in Quran (يشعرون)
it's mean (they feel)
شعور = it's mean feelings
Yes, it can mean this. But it's meaning is more than just this. I wrote about this, but my English is not easy for you, I think.

By the way (smile), I am your sister, not brother. You are confused because in Arabic, "Muslim" is just for a man, and "Muslimah" for a woman. But in English we use Muslim for both. (smile) And there was not enough space to write MuslimahInshallah!

I'm glad to see you are enjoying your time on this Forum.

May Allah Keep you safely, my dear.

.muslim girl.
09-17-2014, 11:02 PM
By the way (smile), I am your sister, not brother. You are confused because in Arabic, "Muslim" is just for a man, and "Muslimah" for a woman. But in English we use Muslim for both.
OMG , I'm sorry my sister !:statisfie

(smile) You are correct. This does mean "hair" and similar words. But this is a noun ( الإسم ) . I was looking at the verb ( الفعل ) and it's meanings.
Oh yeah ! , this is a verb (يشعر) .

You are confused because in Arabic, "Muslim" is just for a man, and "Muslimah" for a woman. But in English we use Muslim for both. (smile) And there was not enough space to write MuslimahInshallah!
Exactly my sister (مُسْلِمَهْ إِنْ شَاْءَ الله) :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!