/* */

PDA

View Full Version : drinking

oa7311
09-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Hi,
i know intoxication is halam. however, i was just wondering can Muslim drinking but not to get drunk, just one drink. because I'm curious about the taste. i don't wanna get intoxication at all, i think its stupid. i just want to taste it.
thanks you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Waylon
09-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm also curious about what Islam thinks about drinking someting lke a glass of wine with your food. Is this something that wuld be frowned upon?

I think that licour in general is good as long as you don't use it to get drunk and numb some issues you have.

Tranquility0
09-08-2014, 11:23 AM
The beauty of Islam is that, anything leading up to sin is a sin as well. The same reason why we can't touch/kiss/hug females or have girlfriends before marriage, because it can lead to pre-marital sex. This is to make sure you're as far away from sin as possible. As far as my knowledge, even 1 drop would be considered haram, so try your best to stay away from it because you never know where it can take you. JazakAllah.

Insaanah
09-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Greetings oa7311 and Waylon, and welcome both to the forum.

Thank you for your questions.

format_quote Originally Posted by oa7311
i know intoxication is halam. however, i was just wondering can Muslim drinking but not to get drunk, just one drink. because I'm curious about the taste. i don't wanna get intoxication at all, i think its stupid. i just want to taste it.
thanks you
format_quote Originally Posted by Waylon
I'm also curious about what Islam thinks about drinking someting lke a glass of wine with your food. Is this something that wuld be frowned upon?

I think that licour in general is good as long as you don't use it to get drunk and numb some issues you have.
Drinking alcohol is totally forbidden in Islam, whether it is a little, eg just a few drops, or a lot.

Allah says in the Qur'an:

They ask you about alcoholic drinks and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit."... (2:219, part)

So if alcohol does have any good in it, or any medical benefit, it is far outweighed by the harms from it and the sins that can occur as a result.

No other drug has the same catastrophic effect on society as a whole, globally, as alcohol. No other drug, contributes to the same amount of disorder, violent crime, domestic abuse, one-night stands, rapes, murders, road rage, assaults, anti-social behaviour, damage to property, damage to one self (a whole compendium can be written on it's adverse effects on various parts of the body) and to others around you, as alcohol. Any minor benefit it might have is heavily outweighed by it's negative and potentially serious effects on health and society.

Islam takes a preventative approach to problems in society. When something is forbidden, then the avenues leading to it are also forbidden. It makes no difference how many people worldwide can "safely" handle a glass of alcohol, or how much they may know their limits, or how much self control they may have. Allah has deemed prevention better for us and made it forbidden.

Aside from this, and even without all this, if Allah declared it haraam (forbidden), it is haraam.

And Allah knows best. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
09-08-2014, 12:40 PM
I drank alcohol for many years, usually in pub, in club, or when relax in my friends homes. I didn't drunk. But there were two times when turned I turned into drunkard. Yeah, if someone has familiar with alcohol although not drunk, then when he is in problem he will be easy to run to alcohol because he expect alcohol can relieve his problem. But after he awake from drunk he find he is still in problem. Then he drink and drunk again, while the problem itself never solved. This is the danger of alcohol that not everyone realize.

But now I have stopped drink alcohol totally after I realized something. There are many halal drinks in the world such as coffee, tea, juice, exotic drink, traditional drink. So, if there are many halal choices which I can choose, why should I choose a haram choice and fall into sin?.

A simple thought that open my mind. Alhamdulillah. :)

ardianto
09-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi,
thanks you
Trust me. After you drink for the first time, then you will want to drink and drink again.

ardianto
09-08-2014, 01:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Waylon

Hello Waylon.

The reason why I stop drinking alcohol is because for Muslim like me, drinking alcohol is a sin. Commit adultery is a sin too.

But how if a Muslim drink alcohol but not drunk. Isn't it safe?. This question has ever asked to an Islamic teacher in my place. Then the answer was "It same like you commit adultery without you make your woman pregnant!"

:)

oa7311
09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the reply, now I understand, but how about beer battered food? Is that ok to eat? Becuase the alcohol evaporate out? If it isn't allowed, why?
Thanks again

oa7311
09-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Also what about non alcoholic beverages?

ardianto
09-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, now I understand, but how about beer battered food? Is that ok to eat? Becuase the alcohol evaporate out? If it isn't allowed, why?
Thanks again
I can't say this is halal, and also I can't say this is haram. So I classify this food into "subhat" (doubtful). And the way to deal with subhat is avoid it. If this food is actually halal, yeah, no problem. But if this food is haram?.

Brother, if there are many delicious halal foods you can choose, why should you choose to eat a food that maybe haram?.

Also what about non alcoholic beverages?
Which non alcoholic beverages do you mean?. Ulama in my place clasify non alcoholic beer as haram because it making process is same like as beer making process and still contain alcohol altough every very low.

oa7311
09-08-2014, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Which non alcoholic beverages do you mean?. Ulama in my place clasify non alcoholic beer as haram because it making process is same like as beer making process and still contain alcohol altough every very low.
The beverages that contain less the .05% alcohol or I think .5%. I'm just curious about it. And also I some none alcoholic beverages are allow why can beer battered food isn't allowed?

gord
09-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Alcohol was my biggest hurdle to overcome when looking into Islam. It was such a sticking point because I loved having 1 or 2 drinks after work or a glass of wine with dinner. I abhorred drunkeness, so I could never figure out why it was forbidden in Islam. When I asked some Muslims they told me that if I drank I could go crazy and kill someone in my car and other nonsense that clearly came from people who never drank. That turned me off of Islam altogether.

A year later I still was looking for God so I looked into Islam again. I put my trust in the mercy of Allah and said my Shahada. The first time I tried to have my favorite whiskey the taste was bitter on my tongue. It was a mercy. In my first month of being a muslim I had 3 drinks while the month before I had 50 drinks. Allumduliah. Allah is merciful. I soon learned it is better to be sober minded all the time so you can focus on your salat. I still have temptation and may have a drink, but it's never worth it. Inshallah I won't have any alcohol eventually.

So I say don't drink at all. Not worth getting started, especially if you don't know how you react to it. Some people have more addictive qualities in their personality that can make alcohol a very real problem. And honestly it's an acquired taste, so you probably won't like it at first anyways.

oa7311
09-08-2014, 02:06 PM
I found this website where is says that if larger amounts can get you intoxicated then stay away from it but if it doesn't then it allowed...
en.islamtoday.net/artshow-409-3342.htm

Insaanah
09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
In cooking, 100% of the alcohol doesn't evaporate out - it is a myth that it does. The batter can't be made without the liquid, so the beer in the case of the batter is what binds the flour, so doesn't evaporate. Also, it's cooked quickly so around 85% of the alcohol remains.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, different amounts of alcohol are burned off from food by different methods of cooking. Immersing the alcohol in a boiling liquid and then removing it from the heat -- the method by which batter is cooked -- is one of the least effective means of reducing alcohol, leaving around 85 percent of the original alcohol content in the food.
Source: Does Beer Batter Contain Alcohol? | Everyday Life - Global Post

But you can use carbonated (fizzy) water in batters instead. Beer isn't necessary at all.

Even if we think that all of the alcohol in other foods has all evaporated, in reality there is no guarantee that it has all evaporated, and many sources say it is impossible for 100% of it to evaporate. At no point can we quantify what's left. We are commanded in the Qur'an to avoid, shun, stay away from it. And in the hadeeth, we are commanded to avoid what's doubtful.

A study conducted several years ago showed that alcohol remained in several recipes after the preparation was complete. In the study, a pot roast was simmered with burgundy for 2 1/2 hours; a chicken dish was simmered for only 10 minutes after the burgundy was added; scalloped oysters made with dry sherry baked for 25 minutes; and cherries jubilee was doused with brandy, then ignited. The results showed that anywhere from 4 to 78 percent of the initial amount of alcohol remained when the dishes were done. The study's authors concluded that cooking will result in the removal of some, but not all, of the alcohol.
Alcohol Burn Off in Cooking, Alcohol Evaporation In Cooking, Whats Cooking America

If you are doing the cooking yourself, then we're not actually allowed to handle alcohol to begin with. It should be enough to put us off that alcohol had gone into the dish in the first place, regardless of what was left.

If you're a dinner guest, you could let the host or hostess know in advance that you're avoiding alcohol in food as well as drink.
Does Alcohol Really Cook Out of Food? - Dr. Weil

This is a non-Muslim advising others who need to avoid alcohol for health reasons. As Muslims we should be more careful than them in avoiding what Allah has prohibited. And that is the best policy. Avoid it totally in food and drink, and let others know, if you have to, that you can't have alcohol in food or drink. When buying food, read the ingredient label to check. Do your best to avoid it.

May Allah make it easy for you, ameen.

ardianto
09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Beer battered food isn't allowed, because in cooking, 100% of the alcohol doesn't evaporate out - it is a myth that it does. The batter can't be made without the liquid, so the beer in the case of the batter is what binds the flour, so doesn't evaporate. Also, it's cooked quickly so around 85% of the alcohol remains.
Even if 100% of alcohol evaporated, still I cannot say it's halal because the beer itself is khamr which is haram, and there is a rule about khamr. As we know, sell khamr (alcoholic beverages) will not makes me drunk. But is it allowed?. Of course not.

I found this website where is says that if larger amounts can get you intoxicated then stay away from it but if it doesn't then it allowed...
en.islamtoday.net/artshow-409-3342.htm
There are two opinions about non alcoholic beverages. But I choose to not drink it due to simple reason, if there are many drink which clearly halal, why should I drink something that maybe halal maybe haram?.

greenhill
09-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Salaams,

Like what br gord says, it is an acquired taste. Not very many people like it first time.

Still, why 'lean' the curiosity in that direction? Not much to be gained there.

Peace :shade:

MuslimInshallah
09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Since I was a small child, I have felt a strange fascination when at a cliff's edge. Looking down at the water dashing on the rocks below, and the wind blowing fresh and wild in my face, I used to wonder what it would be like to take an extra step or two, to fall through the air and feel the savage joys of flight...

What do you think? Should I walk along the cliffs or court the tops of high buildings?

Your fascination is an indication of your danger, I think.

oa7311
09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
who about beer battered food, there is no way that ill get addicted to it and i am not gonna get intoxicated out of it. and its not like ill start to drink if i eat battered food

ardianto
09-08-2014, 03:44 PM
who about beer battered food, there is no way that ill get addicted to it and i am not gonna get intoxicated out of it. and its not like ill start to drink if i eat battered food
Is it allowed to consume forbidden stuff?. You must be know that the answer is no.

Yes, eat beer battered food will not make you intoxicated. But do you realize that you have consumed haram stuff (beer) although it's consumed in different way, not drinked directly but battered with the food. This is the point of view that you must use.

MuslimInshallah
09-08-2014, 03:51 PM
I also used to wonder the same about chocolates flavoured with alcohol.

But it reminds me of when we used to try to get the chickens to get close enough to catch: we'd lay out a trail of crumbs, so that they'd have their guards down a bit...

Alcohol-flavoured items can get you to associate something pleasant with the alcohol. They can get you to enjoy the flavour. Then you might start thinking: what if I just had a little bit, just to see how it is. Then you might start feeling confident that you're ok with alcohol. Then you'd be more open to having a quick drink with your colleagues at work (because you don't want to be rude...), then...

As Gord and Ardianto have pointed out: it's not worth it.

Please take care of yourself.

Insaanah
09-08-2014, 04:34 PM
You might have missed this post: http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...ml#post2833939

plus see the posts brothers and sisters have made above.

May I ask, are you a new Muslim? Are you in a situation where the only item of any food available to you is beer battered? I'd like to get an understanding of where you're coming from and why the desperate want to see if in some way it could be halal. It might help us in answering your questions better, if we haven't already done so.

oa7311
09-08-2014, 04:46 PM
No, i was born a muslim and moved to the USA when i was about a child, but now i am just curios about it. since half of the food in USA is kinda battered woth alochle.

Abu Musab
09-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Any beer product is haraam, regardless of whether it's batter, butter or boogers.

Whether you get intoxicated or addicted is irrelevant to the impermissibility.

Wallaahu A`lam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!