/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas for Muslims?

melindadenae
11-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Greetings, and peace to all from Eastern Canada.

I have a question that I have been wondering about for sometime....Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? Would you celebrate the birth of the Christ-child? Would it be a time to simply celebrate family and exchange gifts? Or would you forego it all together?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
11-11-2014, 02:26 AM
A short answer will be "No, we don't", hence it would be yes, we would forego it altogether.

However, there are people who would partake in the festivities as part of the community living but that is entirely their own choice.

Peace :shade:

ardianto
11-11-2014, 02:29 AM
Greeting and peace to you too,Melinda.

"Congratulation to you who celebrate Christmas". This is what I say to my Christian relatives and friends in Christmas time.

Do I celebrate Christmas?. Of course not. Just like my Christian relatives and friends do not celebrate Eid. But they congratulate me and other Muslims in Eid time.

:)

SofiaMonroe
11-15-2014, 12:47 AM
I don't celebrate it but I do but gifts where the profits go to charities (like Feed Project) and I give them out.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snow
11-19-2014, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by melindadenae

I have a question that I have been wondering about for sometime....Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? Would you celebrate the birth of the Christ-child? Would it be a time to simply celebrate family and exchange gifts? Or would you forego it all together?

Just a few points. If the new testament is to be taken as a good source, it suggests that Jesus was born at spring.
This "holiday" has its roots in prehistoric times, as people in the northern hemisphere were celebrating the rising run. It is no coincidence that the date is on the winter solstice.

It was called (even in english) just until recently Yuletide. Jule/jól... some say that it has its origins with the word wheel. Jol/hjol...(in ancient norse) as in the wheel of the sun. Even one of the pagan gods had the name Jolnir and he was similar to "santa clause".

Even the old testament bans the trees.

Jeremiah 10

For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.
Not only was a tree a symbol of the universe in some pagan religions, they were also a symbol of something in bloom. As the type of "christmas" tree do not lose its needles. As most other trees lose their leaves.

I could go on and on but it is not a coincidence that the church chose that date as the birth of Jesus. They have done this with other festivals.
Easter, the name comes from a pagan goddess called Ester, Esther... and she was a goddess of fertility. As in all the bunnies and eggs are around that time (lambs too, of course).

sister herb
11-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Peace with you, Melinda

No, I don´t celebrate Christian holidays like Christmas as well as I don´t celebrate Jews or Hindus holidays. Only islamic ones.

saif-uddin
11-20-2014, 04:04 AM

Peace be Upon those who recieve Guidance!

1. Celeberating Birthdays are not for Muslims, such acts are Biddah innovations which lead to the fire of Jahannam/Hell

2. 25th December is not the Birthday of Jesus but the Pagan Sun God,

Both of the Above make Christmas/Easter and any other Pagan Celeberation Haraam/Prohibited for any Muslim.

in short Muslims have nothing to do with Christmas,

regards

Insaanah
11-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? Would you celebrate the birth of the Christ-child?
No. Christmas was alien to Christianity too. This is a really good fully referenced read on the history of christmas, that Muslims should read too:

http://www.islam21c.com/theology/173...-christianity/

As Muslims, we love and respect Jesus (peace be upon him) and believe in him as he was; one of the noblest and purest of humanity to ever walk the earth, and one of the greatest messengers of Allah, sent to the Children of Israel. We do not reject him (as Jews do), nor do we deify him (as Christians do). Neither he, nor any other messenger, ever claimed divinity, or to be God's son. We believe he was born miraculously of the noble virgin Mary (peace be on her), and that he is the messiah. He preached the same message as all the prophets before him and the one after him (Muhammad peace be upon him), that people shoud worship the One True God, without any associates in His Divinity, and should obey the prophet God sent. We do not however, believe that he died or was crucified. He'll return to earth near the end of time.

naba
12-31-2014, 07:31 AM
We muslims don't celebrate christmas because we believe Allah is one, he is eternal, he is neither born nor give birth, there is nothing like him.christians believe that by celebrating Christmas they say Jesus christ (pbuh) is begotten son of Allah (nozbillah), it is not mentioned even in the bible.Allah in ch 19 v 88-92 of Quran says they say that Allah had begotten son if earth would have emotions it could have burst out,if sky would have emotions it could have burst out.moreover we muslims have only 2 festivals in islam I.e 2 Eids.

Ummshareef
12-31-2014, 08:54 AM
:sl:

This is an area that my kids used to struggle with. When they were smaller they saw and heard so much about Christmas and wanted to get involved, but alhumdulillah they eventually they came to understand that it is not part of our religion and that any celebrations or festivals other than the two Eids are not allowed.

aflawedbeing
12-31-2014, 10:51 AM
I worry for my children too, Ummshareef. My daughter is two and already in love with Christmas lights and I can just see the jealousy of the other kids coming.
We just have to be super strong and remind them, the other kids don't have a holiday as blessed, legitimate and beautiful as Eid.

Predator
01-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Only festivals that must be celebrated by Muslims are Id ul Fitr and Id ul Adha

BlueOwl358
01-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Nope, not a nut. I take it as a normal day just like any other. Christmas is a non Islamic festival and Haram. Jesus wouldn't like Christmas, he would love spring, considering he was born in spring. Maybe Horus or Heracles would like it better, meh. Would you celebrate the birth of the Mithra-child by any chance?

"And when it is said to them, "Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger," they say, "Sufficient for us is that upon which we found our fathers." Even though their fathers knew nothing, nor were they guided?" (5:104)

Someone should have told this verse to the Church "fathers" when they invented Christmas, and borrowed traditions from Norse "fathers", Iranian "fathers" Greek "fathers".
Christmas is a lie! All lies must be ignored. Jesus was born in spring, Church "fathers" knew nothing.:shade:

Sojourn
01-04-2015, 03:18 PM
I have some Muslim friends who celebrate Jesus' Mawlid but admittedly they're liberal Muslims, nice people though : )

Btw, I really wish correcting misconceptions about my faith was not against forum police because the amount of error I read in these threads is overwhelming. The serious seekers will find out the truth anyway, God willing.

فصيح الياسين
01-04-2015, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sojourn
I have some Muslim friends who celebrate Jesus' Mawlid but admittedly they're liberal Muslims, nice people though : )

Btw, I really wish correcting misconceptions about my faith was not against forum police because the amount of error I read in these threads is overwhelming. The serious seekers will find out the truth anyway, God willing.
Dear our prophet and last prophet Mohammad:arabic5: never celebrated birthdays hope its easy and clear

ardianto
01-04-2015, 04:46 PM
The only reason for Muslims to not celebrate Christmas is because Christmas is not Islamic celebration. What is, how is, and from where Christmas originated is not Muslims business.

I cannot imagine if Christian perform salah Eid with Muslims in Eid day.

Religious tolerance doesn't mean someone should celebrate other people religious festivals. But must respect the other who celebrate their religious festivals.

:)

Insaanah
01-04-2015, 05:27 PM
There are various points made here about 25th December not being the right date, we shouldn't celebrate birthdays, it's borrowed from a pagan festival etc etc. But if you leave even all that aside, and strip it back to what it is now, it boils down to celebration and merry-making at the belief that God begot a son (Na'oothubillah). This is all we need to know, to know that it is totally forbidden for Muslims. Most of us know one of the most important Surahs in the Qur'an, chapter 112, Surah al Ikhlaas (Sincerity), one translation of which follows:

Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,
Allah, the Eternal, the Absolute, on whom all depend and He depends on no one.
He neither begets nor is He begotten,
And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.

If we need to explain why we don't celebrate Christmas, we can say we simply don't believe that God begets, sons or daughters, and quote the above short Surah.

Sojourn
01-05-2015, 05:22 AM
And just as an aside, if anyone wants to have a serious discussion on the dating of Christmas, or the Trinity, or anything else, ask the mods to open the comparative religion section and permit *free* and *open* *civil* discussion again :)

Incidentally the dating of Christmas is based on a very early feast celebrated by Christians, the Feast of the Annunciation, when Jesus was miraculously conceived in Mary's womb by the power of the Holy Ghost. This feast is celebrated on March 25th, and what's nine months from that date? And there you'll see, nothing to do with mimicking pagans ;)

Pax et bonum

Abuadil
01-05-2015, 10:37 AM
No prophet of God ever commanded his disciples/followers to celebrate his birthday after him every year. (as the way it is being done, today)

And that goes for Jesus & Muhammad (Peace be upon them all) as well. If you really love Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) then do what he did (Islaah & Dawah)
Islaah (correction or repair) for the muslims and Dawah (Invitation to Islam) for the Non-muslims. That is the best way of obedience to him and not just by lighting candles and lamps in the masjid and shouting slogans. May Allah (SWT) guide us all. Ameen.......

Salaam,
Yusuf

zoroaster
01-05-2015, 02:31 PM
I have never really understood this one as an outsider either. Im not a Christian myself but am in no way offended at people celibrating Jesus birthday. Find his teaching on charity, sincerity very moving at times. Tales like the Good Samaritan etc are good principles to live by.

For argument sake - If Noah never commanded any one to celebrate his Birthday - I don't think the Christian's would mind if Jews had a day celebrating Noah's birthday. Even if they got it wrong.

The celibration of Christmas by Christians isn't an acknowledgement of Christ's divinity but rather the his birthday.

I see many reasons why people don't go out of their way to celibrate Christmas being Muslim. But that is different from saying its a bad thing. Would there be an issue if Jews did the above for Noah? Whats the big deal, even if the date is wrong?

To respect a prophet right? Its a good thing for both Jews, Zoroastrians, Christians and Muslims yes?

Muhammad
01-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Greetings,

And just as an aside, if anyone wants to have a serious discussion on the dating of Christmas, or the Trinity, or anything else, ask the mods to open the comparative religion section and permit *free* and *open* *civil* discussion again :)
Firstly, repeatedly speaking against moderators and forum rules like this is not acceptable. We have a Helpdesk section in which any problems can be discussed and addressed privately. You speak of permitting 'free and open' discussion. Judging by your other posts, if by that you mean allowing attacks against the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad :saws: and promotion of Christian teachings, then no, that is not allowed as mentioned in the FAQ. This is not the 'civility' we have in mind.

format_quote Originally Posted by zoroaster
I see many reasons why people don't go out of their way to celibrate Christmas being Muslim. But that is different from saying its a bad thing. Would there be an issue if Jews did the above for Noah? Whats the big deal, even if the date is wrong?
If you read the article posted earlier by sister Insaanah, it explains what the big deal is:
http://www.islam21c.com/theology/173...-christianity/

It is quite contradictory that people should seek to 'respect' Prophets by going against their example. They were, after all, guides sent to mankind to teach us how to worship the One True God and live a life He will be pleased with.

Scimitar
01-06-2015, 02:02 AM
muslims celebrating jesus mawlid... I lol'd at the desperate attempt to discredit muslims.

I'm still roffling my toffles :D

Sojourn
01-06-2015, 03:21 AM
Peace be with you Muhammad,

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings,

Firstly, repeatedly speaking against moderators and forum rules like this is not acceptable. We have a Helpdesk section in which any problems can be discussed and addressed privately.
I did not intend to come across as "speaking against" moderators or forum rules, I can only imagine how tough it is for a few people to run a large forum like this, and I presume the comparative religion section was getting out of hand which is why it had to be closed. But at the same time I see a lot of interest in comparative religion discussions on both sides of the fence, although so far the discussion is one-sided. Even in this thread issues of supposed Pagan influences, Jesus Divinity, and the Trinity reared there heads, what they have to do with a Muslim celebrating the birthday of an Islamic prophet, I don't know, but clearly people like to talk about these topics. I personally would love to explain to certain posters in this thread why their attacks on Christianity are really attacks on their own misunderstanding, a caricature of Christianity doctrine if you will, and then it would be interesting to see what objections and questions these posters would then level against the real doctrine. *That* would be a very, very interesting discussion.

You speak of permitting 'free and open' discussion. Judging by your other posts, if by that you mean allowing attacks against the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad :saws: and promotion of Christian teachings, then no, that is not allowed as mentioned in the FAQ. This is not the 'civility' we have in mind.
Well, I am a non-Muslim, I don't believe Muhammad is a prophet nor do I believe the Quran is a revelation, and I have reasons for my disbelief. Is my expression of disbelief an attack on Islam? Would me explaining myself be an attack on Islam? And would me correcting misconceptions Muslims have on my religion be considered promoting that religion?

If so, then not only is any serious discussion impossible, but this forum is not the place for me. For any fruitful discussion to be possible both participants need to be *authentic*, and it needs to be mutually understood that one sides authentic expression, even if that be of disbelief in what the other holds, need not be taken offensively. I personally believe there is a way to have a civil discussion about sacred things without falling into baseless attacks.

But If you think I'm mistaken, and this place is not the place for me (although I would like it to be!), suggest a forum or discussion group where this is possible, and I'll leave you folks alone.

Pax et bonum

Scimitar
01-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Well, I am a non-Muslim, I don't believe Muhammad is a prophet nor do I believe the Quran is a revelation, and I have reasons for my disbelief. Is my expression of disbelief an attack on Islam? Would me explaining myself be an attack on Islam? And would me correcting misconceptions Muslims have on my religion be considered promoting that religion?
You're free to believe what you believe and you're free to say that you don't believe in Islam. Doesn't bother us.

And no, I don't consider it an attack against Islam ;D but what you said regarding this reminds me of media brainwashed fools who claim the same...

If so, then not only is any serious discussion impossible, but this forum is not the place for me. For any fruitful discussion to be possible both participants need to be *authentic*, and it needs to be mutually understood that one sides authentic expression, even if that be of disbelief in what the other holds, need not be taken offensively. I personally believe there is a way to have a civil discussion about sacred things without falling into baseless attacks.
I've followed your posts and read the replies to them also. What you will have to admit is that when it comes to forums, this one is the best moderated and least tolerant of trolls on the web - a place where discussion is civil and educational, yet you've ignored these and instead tried to tarnish the good name of this forum with the same crass accusations you know fit better with the other forums on the web? Really brother Sojourn?

But If you think I'm mistaken, and this place is not the place for me (although I would like it to be!), suggest a forum or discussion group where this is possible, and I'll leave you folks alone.

Pax et bonum
Stick around bud!

Scimi

EDIT: Christians are going on Hajj, believe me? :D

Muhammad
01-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Greetings Sojourn,

But at the same time I see a lot of interest in comparative religion discussions on both sides of the fence, although so far the discussion is one-sided. Even in this thread issues of supposed Pagan influences, Jesus Divinity, and the Trinity reared there heads, what they have to do with a Muslim celebrating the birthday of an Islamic prophet, I don't know, but clearly people like to talk about these topics. I personally would love to explain to certain posters in this thread why their attacks on Christianity are really attacks on their own misunderstanding, a caricature of Christianity doctrine if you will, and then it would be interesting to see what objections and questions these posters would then level against the real doctrine. *That* would be a very, very interesting discussion.
If there is genuine interest in Comparative Religion and the mods feel it is worth re-opening, that is always a possibility. But the current section we are posting in is actually meant to be one-sided; it is clarifications about Islam, not other religions. And remember this thread is not about Muslims celebrating the birthday of an Islamic prophet. It is asking why Muslims do not celebrate Christmas. I should also point out that the opinions expressed in this thread are not as ignorant as you say. You will have noticed that many of our posters are well-versed in Christianity - they were once Christians themselves or they have spent considerable time studying it.

As you say, there is a way to have a civil discussion about sacred things without falling into baseless attacks. Unfortunately, some of your past posts have indeed contained attacks. With regards to correction, the manner and context in which it is done often makes it clear whether it is acceptable or not.

I hope this helps to clarify, and I would suggest we continue this discussion in Helpdesk if required, to avoid derailing the thread any further.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!