/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to: Hijab and Underscarves (a new Muslim question)

butterflykisses
01-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Salam Alaykam all!

I realize this may perhaps be a terribly material question but in terms of hijab I have a real problem (lol). I am not yet wearing hijab 24/7...I wear it when I go to the Masjid and have ventured out in it here and there...I have the intention of wearing it and being a hijabi but...Im not there yet. (FYI before I pose my question)..

I went to Friday prayer today and wore a tube underscarf...Ive also tried a regular stretch cloth headband...(I know there are ninja scarves also but I dont prefer them.) ...and I like the way it fits, and its necessary because I have so many fly aways and scarves tend to not stay on my head and they definitely help...
My questions are

1. Right after I went out to eat with it still on, so within an hour and a half and some jaw movement it was slipping back and therefore my hijab was starting to look funny...how do I keep it in place??? I read on yahoo that one girl sews a "jaw strap" from old cloth...is this the only way I can make it not slip???

2. When I have pinned it under my chin, like today, (Ive tried no pints methods a couple times)...I noticed that i.e. eating today it was a little weird or uncomfy. The pin under the chin was as loose as it could but when I was putting food in my mouth it felt like if I was to open my mouth too much that I would pop my pin or something....is this normal and Im just not used to it??

3. I read on another blog that hijab flattens out hair a lot and in one instance it was balding someone...is this true, can this happen? What is the solution for this? Im caucasian and my hair is already kinda...flat I guess...

I know this is all vanity type questions but it along with everything else, are things I have questions on. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
01-03-2015, 01:15 AM
:sl:

this isn't meant to be a dumb question, but didn't the imam at the masjid get you a mentor?

ma salama

aesa
01-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Salam!

Im also a revert, im Caucasian too and my hair is very smooth and when i wear a tube underscarf it slips off too, i just dont wear them for this reason. Usually i wear either the type that ties in the back so i can tighten it or i wear a ninja underscarf, at first they feel very suffocating when your not use to them but you will get use to it over time.

Also, I understand how you feel about not being ready to wear hijab 24/7 yet, its a huge change. But im telling you that you will never feel anymore ready to start, no matter when you decide to do it, it will be a huge change, this is how i felt atleast. And when i started wearing hijab the majority of people i knew didnt even know i was a Muslim before! So they were extremely surprised, i got lots of reactions from people i knew, but its something you just have to get done and over with. Trust me, you will feel much better after starting. When i started wearing hijab i was expecting strangers to look at me oddly seeing as america isnt really the biggest fan of Islam, but to my surprise iv never gotten any rude comments and iv actually noticed people respect me much more now, its amazing what a little modesty will do!

Inshallah you will find the confidence soon to start wearing hijab, and goodluck with your undescarf problem, i hope my advice helped.

BeTheChange
01-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Walaikumasalaam sister.

Hope your well.

Are you wearing a bone bonnet cap underneath your scarf? So something like this...

attachmentphp?attachmentid5405&ampstc1 -

(sorry can't enlarge the picture) This usually secures your scarf in the place you want it. It depends on how tight you wrap the hijaab and where you put the pins.

I have found a random video on youtube

If you don't like the style of the hijaab you can search for other videos in sha Allah. Try not to fasten the pin under your chin but fasten the pin at the side so your not hurting yourself or making yourself uncomfortable to the point where you're having difficulty eating. Islam does not put any difficulty on us Alhamdulilah.

In terms of losing hair i think this is a normal aging process but every now and then expose yourself to the sun i.e when your in the garden or countryside where there's no people around etc. Sun is good for us. The hijaab doesn't contribute to hair loss - if you tie your hair really tight on an everyday basis then yes you are damaging the roots of your hair.

Hope my advise helps. Take care sis and youtube hijaab to find a style that your comfortable with in sha Allah.

Wishing you the best of the best! Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
butterflykisses
01-04-2015, 08:42 PM
yes its something like this cap/except open in the back.

I havent tried out many hijab styles yet but have bookmarked some youtube things.....thank you for this one...

So far it seems they are more of a pain than anything (at least for my hair I guess)...I feel like I need it so that my scarf will stay....but I just hate the idea of the ninja headscarf...but as one person said above, I guess I would get used to it...

Anyone have remedies to help me with these caps/tube scarfs other than this "jaw strap" idea...? AND
Will the scarf slip if I dont wear some sort of underscarf?

Thanks everyone!

butterflykisses
01-04-2015, 08:45 PM
And also, as far as the hijab becoming loose while eating, all the tutorials I see pin under the chin...will pinning to the side allow the hijab to come out of place more easily or be ok?

BeTheChange
01-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Sis if you watch this video it gives you some helpful tips on where to pin and how

Also, you might find it easier if you tie your hair in a bun and then wear your hijab that way your hair will be in one place and you'll be able to tie your scarf around easily in sha Allah :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!