/* */

PDA

View Full Version : pride

jameelash
01-30-2015, 03:46 PM
One of the sins to which pride drives people is lying, for most of the time people do not wish to admit certain truths. For example, a person does not want to admit to making a mistake at work, because she does not want others to consider her to be ignorant, clumsy, or somehow lower than her coworkers. Or when she does not want to admit that she forgot to buy something, she says instead: "I went, but there were none left."
Even though lying is a curse that makes people fall even lower, some people refuse to understand this truth and so lie right away simply to protect themselves at the given moment. Most of their lies are recognized, and so they fall even lower in other people's esteem. In addition, these people need to remember the "reward" that they will receive in the afterlife: an even lower position.
In one verse, Allah warns us against this habit:

Do not follow your own desires and deviate from the truth. If you twist or turn away, Allah is aware of what you do. (Surat an-Nisa’, 4:135)

Sincere believers never place their own advantage above Allah's good pleasure and their love of Him. Their love and devotion to Allah prevent them from doing anything that displeases Him. Moreover, if people really want honor and superiority, they should not copy the unbelievers' methods, for as the Qur'an informs us, real superiority is achieved only by following Allah and the Qur'an:

All might belongs to Allah, to His Messenger, and the believers. But the hypocrites do not know this. (Surat al-Munafiqun, 63:8)
If anyone wants power, all power belongs to Allah. All good words rise to Him, and He raises up all virtuous deeds. But people who plot evil deeds will suffer a harsh punishment. The plotting of such people is profitless. (Surah Fatir, 35:10

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
02-09-2015, 03:45 PM
This thread has lingered in my mind because the title, 'Pride'.

Haughty, arrogance, the main reason for the fall of Syaitan from his lofty place.

The feeling of superiority, as opposed to being humble. That lead him to rebel against Allah's command. Pride also then leads to dissatisfaction when we lose which ignites the feeling of jealousy and revenge. And to achieve these ill intentions more sins are incurred.

Yes, you would lie a lot, blame others, treat people unfairly, especially the difference in social strata.. etc

Yes again, with pride it is hard to admit to mistakes. Pride is quite a major boo boo.

:peace:

BeTheChange
02-09-2015, 08:58 PM
May Allah swa save us from pride entering our hearts & minds.

How do we humble ourselves?

By remembering Allah swa is the creator of us and that our life cannot or ceases to exist without Allah swa permission. By remembering our mothers fed us, cleaned us and looked after us until we were able to and by the thought of returning to Allah swa.

To Allah swa we belong and to Allah swa we will return.

May Allah swa save us from pride and any other evil trait Ameen

Patrick
02-12-2015, 07:06 PM
I understand the down falls of pride. But are there not good traits that can come with pride? What I mean is that there are ussualy 2 options of the same thing that have a similar meaning but are different ways of going about things. Like for example for lust there is love. What is the word that I can understand that is similar enough to pride but not with the bad things associated with pride.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdullahh
02-12-2015, 07:20 PM
I've often been arrogant in my life, as we all have at least once. But, after finding Islam I've improved quite a bit. Now, I'm just proud to be a Muslim. :statisfie

greenhill
02-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Patrick,

I get what you are trying to say. I cannot think of anything really significant except that you 'should' take pride in your work (etc) in a way that it encourages you to perform as what can be expected of your abilities.

But once it affects the way you expect to be treated, then I believe pride (as in arrogance) has made its way in as you believe you are better...

Just my 2 cents worth...

:peace:

Patrick
02-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Ok I understand what you mean. I guess believing in yourself would be the best way to put it. Of coarse moderation is the only way to check the bad parts of things like that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!