/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Sufism a forum of meditation like Zen Buddism?

littleHercules
02-03-2015, 04:00 PM
I am a Christian, but have started reading the Koran and sayings of Muhammad and an inner voice in my heart is telling me this man must of been a prophet. I have started reading the Koran everyday and am falling in love with the Koran. I am very interested in Sufism. Is this a form of meditation? I have practiced Zen meditation and it helps me heal emotional pain and reduce stress, but I wanted to try Sufism for a change. Can anyone give me guidance what Sufism is and how to practice it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
02-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

It’s good to hear you're interested in Islam and have been reading the Qur’an. Islam is a holistic religion; a way of life. It is about submitting willingly and wholeheartedly to our Creator and obeying the messengers He sent. It is the purpose of our existence and it must be followed because it is the truth for all of mankind. It is not about following our personal inclinations or selecting aspects which we like and disregarding the rest.

Interestingly, your post doesn't mention the word Islam. In Islam, we are not meant to have different groups or sects. Anything that is an '...ism’ should raise alarm. We follow the Qur’an and the Sunnah. The Sunnah is the sayings, actions, commands of prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), and we should be just Muslims, no groups or labels. The name ‘Sufi’ was not known at the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be on him. Everyone was just Muslim, which is what the prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be on him, taught. Some Muslims decided to lead an ascetic life, and became known as Sufis. They used to work hard in worshipping Allah as the other righteous people used to do. However, some of those who are called Sufis nowadays are involved in serious innovations in the religion which the Qur’an and Sunnah clearly prohibit. Some of them based their ideas on Indian mysticism. Others chose Persian, Greek or idolaters' philosophies and followed them claiming they were Islamic. The way to safety from all innovations is to adhere to the guidance in the Qur’an and Sunnah.

You mentioned in your post about healing from emotional pain. Allah has described the Qur’an as a healing:

O mankind, there has to come to you instruction from your Lord and healing for what is in the breasts and guidance and mercy for the believers. (10:57)

In Islam, our entire relationship with our Creator and all our aspects of worship, including the five daily prayers and dhikr (remembrance of Allah), gives the hearts peace and contentment. In the Qur'an, Allah says:

Those who believe and whose hearts have rest in the remembrance of Allah. Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest! Those who believe and do right: Joy is for them, and bliss (their) journey's end. (13:28-29)

Only on the proper practice of Islam, can a heart find rest and peace and contentment. Even so, sometimes, anyone can undergo a calamity, personal or otherwise, and during these times we try to get closer to God, by trying our hardest and best to remember Him and obey Him. And it is by doing that, that one can find peace. That is the beauty of Islam – it is a true relationship with God which combines all the different ways to achieve this in perfect balance.

We are encouraged to ponder, reflect, consider, and think about the signs of God all around us, but meditation such as humming certain sounds, concentrating on one's breathing, etc is not something that is part of the religion of Islam.

From what I can see, Zen Buddhism is a philosophy emphasizing the value of meditation and intuition rather than meaningful worship or study of scriptures. That being the case then no, that's not what Islam is.

It is best for you to concentrate on the foundational teachings of Islam, the Oneness of God, obeying the messengers He sent, the 5 pillars of Islam and the articles of faith. Let us know if you know about these already, or if you would like some information.

Peace.

InToTheRain
02-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Hello :)

You could say it's like meditation because you are focusing on purifying the Heart through worship and contemplating deeply about your Creator and reason for existence. You also have to abstain from that which is prohibited of course because that which is prohibited usually darkens the heart. I will elaborate...

Allah Most High says "So remember Me; I will remember you"[2:152]

Mohammad(SAW) was sent by Allah Most High for 4 things as explained in this Hadith:
It is He who has sent among the unlettered a Messenger from themselves reciting to them His verses and purifying them and teaching them the Book and wisdom - although they were before in clear error [Quran 62:2]
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...1&Itemid=118#2

To break this verse down it mentions Mohammad(SAW) was sent to teach the people how to
1) Recite Quran (His Verses with Tajweed and Tarteel)
2) to Purify them (Their Hearts)
3) to Teach them the Book (Tafsir of Qur'an)
4) Hadith (Wisdom)

Sufism is concerned with 2). Note the order of importance here also, after the Qur'an recitation (which also helps purify the Heart) comes the purification of the Heart before Quranic Tafsir and Hadith. There have been many hadiths for the importance of Purifying the Heart:

"Beware, in the body there is a flesh; if it is sound, the whole body is sound, and if it is corrupt, the whole body is corrupt, and behold, it is the heart."
[Bukhari and Muslim]

So if the Heart is corrupt then the mind itself will deviate from the Path. The Mind is a tool used by the Heart/core to get what it wants and it is the Heart which filters what it desires from what it reads and not the mind. So the state of the Heart is paramount to correct guidance. Sufism is concerned with actions which Purify the Heart and knowing which actions have negative affects on the Heart. As these negative affects ultimately act as a blocker to our relation with Allah Most High, stop us from deriving his blessing which leads to serenity in this life, beatific visions and paradise in the Hereafter. This is why Allah Most High says:
"He has succeeded who purifies himself" (Qur'an 87:14)

Hulk
02-05-2015, 01:50 PM
In Islam, the outward and inward aspects come hand in hand. Meditation requires the person to "empty" himself. As muslims, we must never do that, as we do not want to empty ourselves from the remembrance of God. As with anything, it is important to start with the basics. God knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
naba
02-11-2015, 04:41 AM
Assalamalecum,Allah in ch 13 v 28 of Quran says with rememberance of Allah, heart finds peace.

فصيح الياسين
02-15-2015, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain
Hello :)

You could say it's like meditation because you are focusing on purifying the Heart through worship and contemplating deeply about your Creator and reason for existence. You also have to abstain from that which is prohibited of course because that which is prohibited usually darkens the heart. I will elaborate...

Allah Most High says "So remember Me; I will remember you"[2:152]

Mohammad(SAW) was sent by Allah Most High for 4 things as explained in this Hadith:
It is He who has sent among the unlettered a Messenger from themselves reciting to them His verses and purifying them and teaching them the Book and wisdom - although they were before in clear error [Quran 62:2]
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...1&Itemid=118#2

To break this verse down it mentions Mohammad(SAW) was sent to teach the people how to
1) Recite Quran (His Verses with Tajweed and Tarteel)
2) to Purify them (Their Hearts)
3) to Teach them the Book (Tafsir of Qur'an)
4) Hadith (Wisdom)

Sufism is concerned with 2). Note the order of importance here also, after the Qur'an recitation (which also helps purify the Heart) comes the purification of the Heart before Quranic Tafsir and Hadith. There have been many hadiths for the importance of Purifying the Heart:

"Beware, in the body there is a flesh; if it is sound, the whole body is sound, and if it is corrupt, the whole body is corrupt, and behold, it is the heart."
[Bukhari and Muslim]

So if the Heart is corrupt then the mind itself will deviate from the Path. The Mind is a tool used by the Heart/core to get what it wants and it is the Heart which filters what it desires from what it reads and not the mind. So the state of the Heart is paramount to correct guidance. Sufism is concerned with actions which Purify the Heart and knowing which actions have negative affects on the Heart. As these negative affects ultimately act as a blocker to our relation with Allah Most High, stop us from deriving his blessing which leads to serenity in this life, beatific visions and paradise in the Hereafter. This is why Allah Most High says:
"He has succeeded who purifies himself" (Qur'an 87:14)
Nice said about sufism. Its called as tasawwuf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!