/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does the Quran say about Jesus dying on the cross ?

Islam Inquirer
03-04-2015, 05:25 PM
I understand that the Quran says it wasn't Jesus who was on the cross, but his Disciple named Judas . Can someone please confirm if this is correct ? Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
naba
03-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Assalamalecum,Allah in Quran in ch 4 v 157 says-And (for) their saying"indeed we have killed the messiah, jesus the son of Mary,the messenger of Allah."And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but another was to made to resemble him to them.And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it.they have no knowledge of it except the following of asumption.And they did not kill him,for certain.in v 158-Rather Allah raised him to himself.And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise.Allah in ch 43 v 61 of Quran says coming back of Jesus Christ (pbuh) to earth will be the sign of judgement day.

Lavitz
03-05-2015, 08:12 AM
The Qur'an is not specific about this issue. The text only denies that he was crucified.

"It was made to appear to them (that he was crucified)," is what it says.

greenhill
03-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

All that I can remember off hand is that it says that it was not Jesus who was put to the cross, someone else. No specific details on who it was.

So, Muslims only know that it wasn't him. The rest of the info was not revealed.

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lavitz
03-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Just to be clear, it doesn't say that someone else was put on the cross. The Qur'an simply says that he wasn't on the cross.

Muslims have provided interpretations and I believe that the most common one is similar to what you will find echoed in this thread.

Strangely, you will find a similar point of view in another early Christian source, namely, the Apocalypse of Peter. It includes the following:

The Savior said to me, "He whom you saw on the tree, glad and laughing, this is the living Jesus. But this one into whose hands and feet they drive the nails is his fleshly part, which is the substitute being put to shame, the one who came into being in his likeness. But look at him and me."

Try running a google search if you're interested. =)

Islam Inquirer
03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
So then, if Muslims and the Quran knows it wasn't Jesus who died on the cross , we are expected to believe :

1. All of the Jewish Supreme Court Leaders (called The Sanhedrin) who turned Jesus over to Pilate for crucifixion and who were there at the crucifixion , were fooled thinking it was Jesus ?

2. All of the Roman Guards who thought they were nailing Jesus to the cross , were mistaken ?

3. All of the Roman Guards who were whipping and jeering the Person carrying the cross down the road leading to the crucifixion site, were fooled into thinking it was Jesus ?

4. The Roman Political Leaders including Pilate who instructed Jesus to be crucified, didn't get carried out even though the command was from the top with crucifixion being the harshest of all Roman punishment ?

5. Jesus' own Mother and his closest of Disciples who lived with him continuously for 3 years and who were within feet of the cross.....were all fooled that it was Jesus who was up there being killed ? They were weeping and severely distraught over the wrong man ?

6. Some of Jesus' closest Followers and Admirers were given the crucifixion victim for them to wrap in a burial cloth with some 75 lbs. of spices yet they were fooled it was Jesus ?

7. All of the Disciples of Jesus who later met in the Upper Room were mourning over a wrong man ?

8 . All of Jesus' many predictions given to his Disciples about him being murdered at the hands of the Jews and Romans by crucifixion, were nothing but lies making Jesus out to be a big Fraud ?

9 . The over 500 eye witnesses of Jesus displaying wounds caused from nails thru the wrists and ankles weren't from crucifixion and they only looked like they were ? What was Jesus' motive for doing this to the many crowds for a period of 40 days after 'someone else' was crucified ?

10 . The Gospels found in the Bibles New Testament including all of the other books of the New Testament that were written by eye witnesses (or Contemporaries) of Jesus' life, death, burial, and resurrection .... were all frauds and the people that wrote these refused to recant their stories when they had the chance to save their own lives ? They all willingly chose deaths including being flayed alive, boiled alive, run in by sword, crucified upside down and did so being mistaken that it was Jesus who was crucified ?

11. The only means for all of mankinds sins to be completely forgiven by Gods free undeserved gift of Salvation which IS Jesus crucified and resurrected, never occurred and we are left to ourselves to somehow gain an extremely holy Gods favor even though our sins remain ?

12. All of the many many current Christian Ministries which are based on the love of Christ dying for mankind , are all falsely based ?

13. The countless billions of people who claim to have been drastically changed by the resurrected power of Jesus are mistaken because Jesus' very mission to Earth (crucifixion, death , resurrection) was nothing but a fairy tale even though the historical evidence shows Jesus' mission was fulfilled completely ?

14. The entire Christian Faith whos cornerstone of truth lies in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus was all a complete sham and the most nefarious of schemes imaginable to fool people thruout all the centuries including all the centuries (b.c.) who were told to expect a coming divine Messiah ? In short, the entire Christian Faith is one lie upon another and nothing about it should be trusted ?

Is this what Islam and the Quran would have all people everywhere, believe ? thank you.

Lavitz
03-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Your reasoning is logical so far, but allow me sum up your post.

According to you, the Sanhedrin, the Roman guards, political leaders, the mother of Jesus, his disciples, and five hundred witnesses all believe that it was Jesus that died on the cross.

Of course, there are not all solitary reports. You are not quoting hundreds of reports at all. In reality, you are quoting four sources: the four Gospels.

I've presented one source that contradicts your reports, which is the Apocalypse of Peter. Why do you accept the four Gospels as divinely inspired and reject the Apocalypse of Peter?

Islam Inquirer
03-07-2015, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lavitz
Your reasoning is logical so far, but allow me sum up your post.

According to you, the Sanhedrin, the Roman guards, political leaders, the mother of Jesus, his disciples, and five hundred witnesses all believe that it was Jesus that died on the cross.

Of course, there are not all solitary reports. You are not quoting hundreds of reports at all. In reality, you are quoting four sources: the four Gospels.

I've presented one source that contradicts your reports, which is the Apocalypse of Peter. Why do you accept the four Gospels as divinely inspired and reject the Apocalypse of Peter?
I am quoting reports from people who were there at the cross just feet away from the person on it whom they spent the last 3 years with eating, walking, ministering, sleeping, day in and day out , and listening to his teachings to the masses and possibly even giving him a haircut and beard trim ; it is absurd to think the people at the cross were fooled into thinking it was someone other than Jesus whom they loved. You don't need 'hundreds of reports' of the same event ... in a court of law a person can be get capital punishment based on 2 or 3 witnesses . The Witnesses of Jesus' life, death, burial, and resurrection were all very transformed Individuals who willingly gave up their own lives when they could have recanted their stories to save their life . People only do this when they KNOW they have the truth based on absolute evidence.

The life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus CHrist carries with it THE MOST historical evidence than any other literary work of antiquity if you care to compare the New Testament to Plato, Aristotle, Ceasars Gallic Wars, The Illiad , and others. If you wont believe the historical evidence for CHrist then by the same secular historicity testing standards you have to throw out all of ancient history that has far less evidence.

Islam Inquirer
03-07-2015, 04:35 PM
P.S. There were 5 lines of converging evidences that all had to exist before a book of the BIble was considered inspired of God . The Apocalypse of Peter didn't not meet these stringent qualifications for canonization . Google : Requirements for Canonization (How were the books considered inspired of God which made up our Bible ?) .

Lavitz
03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
To be honest, I do believe that there was only one requirement:

- It agrees with the church and the teachings of Athanasius.

Any book that recorded teachings that fit in with Unitarian Christians like Arius were disregarded completely.

Of course, that is just the opinion of a humble Muslim. You can prove me wrong by proving that the Gospel of John was divinely inspired and properly preserved.

Let us start off by identifying the author with proper historical evidences. I am looking forward to your next post. May God guide us both.

Islam Inquirer
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
You can get all the information you are inquiring about from a google search or from notable Christian apologetics Site . Im not wanting to spend countless hours debating the author for each individual NT book. And the evidence for an inspired book to be added to the canon was not if a Church Father approved it or not --- you can obtain the 5 lines of objective converging evidence also thru a simple google search should you really be interested.

What we DO already have on the table however, are the implications to Jesus not dying on the cross ... so please explain in light of the Qurans 'truth' claim that Jesus didn't die on the cross these enormous implications :

[copy and paste of earlier long post removed]

Is this what Islam and the Quran would have all people everywhere, believe ? thank you

Lavitz
03-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Im not wanting to spend countless hours debating the author for each individual NT book.
We don't need to spend countless hours on each book. I just want a few minutes for you to elaborate on why you accept one book. I'm hoping that once you realize how hopeless the situation is, you will realize yourself that early Christians did an extremely poor job of preserving the word of Christ.

CalmPassenger
03-11-2015, 03:15 PM
When you say God. Please tell me what you mean by God? If you believe he created this complex human, earth and heaven. Then its not difficult job for a God. After all those were humans and humans can be deceived easily. Your question is basically answer. If you believe on God. He can do any thing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!