View Full Version : In Progress IB Media Team idea

strivingobserver98
03-13-2015, 06:50 PM
:sl:

Discussion thread for IB Media.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
03-13-2015, 06:55 PM
If anything, I feel that with IB being one of the more popular Muslim forums on the web, we should have a media team dedicated to working on Islamic Awareness projects which hit the alternative media scene.

With tools such as youtube, facebook and twitter at our disposal, we should take advantage of these to propagate islam and to clear up any misconceptions also.

further, if any new non Muslim members join, they can see that we are organised, and have more than just a forum but videos, pdf files and such to share with them.

I feel this will help to ensure that trolls will have no avenue left to explore because those misconceptions have been dealt with in a format which leaves no room for argument.

I can help in creating videos, and then share them via 4shared or something - which the IB team can then upload to its own youtube channel in sha Allah.

We will also need volunteers to source pdf files or documents... and where these are not available - to help create these.

Some forums have a dedicated media team, and those media team members have their forum names in a different colour so members know who they are. I feel this is a good idea also, to have a dedicated volunteer media team within IB.

Also, I believe that it is time to start a "gofundme" campaign for IB too. We should set a target of £10,000 in sha Allah and relay that we would like to set up a small dedicated media team and we need resources, such as computers, equipment for editing and such... you will be surprised how quickly the 10k target will be reached - Muslims all over the web will want to see this happen in sha Allah and I am confident that it can be done.

I'm sure you re all aware of "The Merciful Servant" youtube channel? I knew him when he had less that 100 subscribers... today he has over 300,000 subscribers and millions upon millions of youtube video hits. His videos follow a very simple format, and he started a "gofundme" campaign with a target of £25,000 sterling... and has reached just over half of that already:
http://www.gofundme.com/themercifulservant

We can do it, easily in sha Allah

what do you guys think?

Scimi

strivingobserver98
03-13-2015, 09:42 PM
:jz: Brother Scimi for suggestion.

I was thinking along the similar lines quite some time ago, great method of Dawah and great idea! Yes media team can maybe control all social networks, videos and images too :). We already have some images on facebook if you want to check, I've had to get other graphic designers to design them and it's lot of hassle. Having a media team dedicated to IB would be much more organised and better. Yes we can also have our own titles, and media section for the members to discuss.

Some discussion points... what type of videos? MercifulServant and Daily Reminder network basically take clips from lectures and remake it into short clips which are beneficial. Are we aiming just at non muslims? And what about controversial videos? Personally I think it's best to avoid videos on highly controversial, such as "Is Milad Bidah?". What do you guys think? Something with bullet proof truth such as "Is god 1 or 3" of course that will be ok.

Keep in mind our main ethos on the forum.

The mission of our e-Islamic community is to help foster a better understanding of Islam.
1. Help build an e-Muslim community that supports each other, and promotes the Islamic image.
2. The purpose of this forum is to educate non-Muslims and Muslims about Islam and its tenets.
http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php?..._liforum_rules

I think a campaign will be better once we have produced some videos, and getting a good fan base of subscribers. That way :ia: will be a bit easier.

Also staff and members what are your thoughts of the Media idea?

Scimitar
03-20-2015, 02:58 PM
I agree with content being easy to follow and accept for Muslims. No controversy, just corrections to popular misrepresentations of Islam and Muslims. We can also include the experiences of new Muslims, and how they found Islam - I feel this is great because it allows for others who are considering or studying Islam to identify with those who accepted Islam - I feel it helps to show the human condition and its need to find truth - which as we know, Islam champions.

If we can make videos which provide solutions to common misconceptions within Islam from Muslims and non Muslims alike - IB forum in sha Allah may become a source of dawah whose reach goes beyond the forum alone.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
03-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Go for it!

Go fund me!

Go get 'em!

Go! Go! Go!

:peace:

BeTheChange
03-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Am happy to help any donations needed am here in sha Allah!

I think we should focus and help our non Muslims brothers and sisters. On too many occasions, i have felt there isn't a community that they can reach out to and this does upset me. In sha Allah this will be a FANTASTIC opportunity to help everyone. Muslims and non Muslims.

Am not very good at making videos - i've never created one but am happy to give you 3/4 hours of my time on a weekly basis in sha Allah (starting from April 2015), if you need me to do anything. << Not an April fools day joke i promise lol :D

Am loving the idea - looking forward to seeing this live in sha Allah.

Signor
03-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Do I support this idea?Yes

Do I think it will work?No

Why?

Being a forum based on faith it will attract people who can bring something to the table but I fear their attachment with the team will be more emotional than on conscious level and its the later which stays long.We need people who are aware of the consequences of their actions...

A team may consists of members from opposite genders and one of the things this forum always try to avoid is free mixing.It won't be a random PM to a random member but its a message to a team member,someone you need to know(Doesn't an effective team needs to gel together before working as a well oiled machine?).

And I could be wrong all along,no matter what my concerns are.

Scimitar
03-21-2015, 05:00 PM
I understand your concerns. WUP's media team largely failed to gel together and produce anything of any substance and people often joined the team just to feel a sense of self importance - very dangerous.

However, I feel we can learn from the mistakes of others in this regard, and follow on with a better model.

Your concerns regarding free mixing of sexes is valid. But there is a simple solution. Give the media team its own sub forum which only they can access ( +mods and admins too) and there will be no need to PM's because all is under the watchful eyes of the admin/mod team - whose input would be integral to the functioning of the media team.

Ideally, we'll need for members to post their availability and skills which they can contribute and from there we can get a better idea of what we can maybe be capable of producing in sha Allah.

Just thinking aloud here.

Scimi

Umm Abed
03-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Is this thread regarding news such as current events? I think both muslims and non muslims will benefit with knowing about more whats happening around the world.

Being well-informed is having knowledge, and knowledge is power

Scimitar
03-21-2015, 07:01 PM
I understand wher you are coming from sister, though I believe it's a little more complicated than that - it is a common misconception that knowledge is power. Knowledge in the hands of one who doesn't follow it is known as arrogance, and in the hands of one who abuses it is known as tyrant, and in the hands of one who follows it carefully, reaches wisdom.

Power, on a personal level, is the ability to control ones own anger.

I think the dialectic between the western philosophy and middle easter eastern spirituality is diametrically in opposition, though both claim to be true. And both are, depending on whether you wish for a destructive truth or a beneficial one. Destructive truths - western philosophy which gives us dangerous ideas such as "knowledge is power" and middle eastern spirituality which teaches us "power is knowing that you have the ability to stay silent when enraged"...

...knowledge is information which we gather together in order to understand our world, our purpose better - if it makes one feel empowered, it is better to attribute that Power to come from Allah's Mercy, because all Power belongs to Allah alone.

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Is this thread regarding news such as current events? I think both muslims and non muslims will benefit with knowing about more whats happening around the world.
Although this is a great idea,the interpretation of current world events is a very subjective study and not all will agree with the theories contained within - the last thing we want to do here is to confuse matters when we ourselves don't have the full picture of world events.

However, I think an historical understanding of Arabia and Islam can be beneficial to both Muslims and non Muslims alike, as the anthropology, history and paleontology of this study will help to contextualise the ayaat of the Quran and the ahadeeth. This can have a very beneficial effect on the sympathetic understanding of history, something which mainstream history often ignores in lieu of questionable empirical evidence instead.

I don't think i've come across a video or series which attempts to take this avenue of approach to the contextualisation process... yet. it's an idea, and a very good one... thanks for inspiring this thought sister Umm Abed :) Jazak Allahu Khair.

Scimi

saif-uddin
03-25-2015, 06:04 AM
:thumbs_up Mods up there for thinking,

May Allah ta'ala help you all succeed in dunya and akhira,

ameen

:jz:

Nájlá
04-01-2015, 02:32 PM
السّلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته ,

I think this is a great idea [emoji106] although I didn't read all posts I fully support the idea and it's very important for us Muslims to be involved in these things. And slowly, if organised it will reach its targets.

I don't think this should be aimed to only non-Muslims, there are many lost youth in our Islamic communities who do actually want to better themselves, but feel lost and confused on where to start. So maybe try to aim something for the youth, like a guide on how to build their Muslim identity.

MuslimInshallah
04-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I'm not sure exactly what you want a media team to do (I'm not very savvy in this field). I would suggest, however, starting with small steps. I find too often that we get carried away with large ideas, and end up achieving little or nothing.

(mildly) Scimi loves to make videos for his own pleasure, from what I can see (twinkle. Though the dismemberment of Mr Pumpkin man was… mmm…curious… I much preferred that lovely art video you made). As he has this knowledge already, perhaps he could work on a video for this Forum? Just one, to start with. He could tell us what he would need, and how we might help (specific needs, and detailed explanations of what he'd require of anyone else). Then we could evaluate how things went, and see if another could be made.

I agree with those who would like to see support for Muslims. I see a crying need for building a sense of community among and between Muslims. Where I live, I see very little community support. New Muslims are the most vulnerable, and new immigrants (who are Muslim) are also vulnerable. Yes, da'wah is important. But frankly, the mistreatment of new Muslims and the troubles that Muslim immigrants experience do not give Islam a good image in my community. (mildly) Of course, this board is for members worldwide. But from what I can see, again, the focus needs to be on building community among Muslims. Historically, it seems to me, Islam has attracted the most people where and when Muslims have been doing well. Not militarily or economically or scientifically, but socially. When Muslims are kind and decent and helpful towards their neighbours and communities, this attracts non-Muslims to look at Islam. Yes, negative publicity may draw some people to look at Islam more closely. But ultimately, it is the positives that draw people to Islam. (mildly) And the negative behaviours of Muslims that may drive people away from Islam.

So basically, I believe that our behaviour and actions as Muslims are the best kind of da'wah.

(smile) And thank you Farhan for exploring this idea.

May Allah, the Praiseworthy, Guide us to do that which is most pleasing to Him.

BeTheChange
04-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Asalamaulykum i think the free mixing could be addressed if we were to keep the posts in a public space like this thread for example and no PM's.

Am not sure if this would be recommended but just an idea?

Hoping this idea comes to life in sha Allah and as always i am here to help in sha Allah

strivingobserver98
07-01-2015, 04:48 PM
We can get started on this everyone after Ramadhan :ia:. We don't need another group so IB Media can be IB Volunteer, since it is volunteer things anyway :).

Where shall we get started?

Nájlá
07-01-2015, 04:56 PM
A couple of questions need to be answered before we can start:

1. Who is it aimed at? A section for non-Muslims, Muslim youth, the already practising Muslim?

2. What do we need?

3. What subjects etc

I think we need someone to summarise everything for us to get started.

Scimitar
07-01-2015, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
We can get started on this everyone after Ramadhan :ia:. We don't need another group so IB Media can be IB Volunteer, since it is volunteer things anyway :).

Where shall we get started?
You should separate the media and volunteer teams, they are mutually exclusive :)

Scimi

strivingobserver98
07-01-2015, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá
1. Who is it aimed at? A section for non-Muslims, Muslim youth, the already practising Muslim?

2. What do we need?

3. What subjects etc
Hmm this is the part that needs to be discussed more.

For Number 1, I reckon it would be good to aim at non Muslims, explaining Islam and also Practicing Muslims. Scimi you mentioned channels like MercifulServant and to propagate Islam and clear up misconceptions. What do you think of main audience?

AhmedGassama
11-09-2015, 03:33 AM
I always hear groups and communities talk about their greatest moments in their history and i'm quite inspired by them...

As far as i'm concerned, Islamic Board will never have history and great moments until it will have it's own Media Team and it's own production, well that moment hasn't happened but IT WILL VERY SOON!

So... IT'S TIME TO GET BARBARIC ! IT'S TIME TO GET RUTHLESS ! IT'S TIME TO GET EXTREME !

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!