/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to find a spouse: tips, realties and dangers

MuslimInshallah
04-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) I'm going to make a controversial statement. And then I'm going to give a little context to it. I'm hoping to open a useful discussion that may help Muslims who would like to marry. (smile) Please feel free to add your perspectives and comments.

If you're wanting to get married and you live in a country like mine (Canada), it is best to start talking to Muslims of the opposite sex that are around you. Much is said about no free-mixing between men and women, but I feel that this is not reasonable for unmarried Muslims in a society such as mine. In my country (and in quite a few others), Muslims mix with non-Muslims all the time. This may well end in Muslims marrying non-Muslims. Men feel especially free to do this, and Muslim women then face the choice of not marrying, marrying a non-Muslim man, or getting into highly risky overseas marriages.

Furthermore, the local Muslim population is drawn from around the world, and is very mobile. This means that ethnic and cultural divides can be quite large, and people often don't know each other very well. There are also new Muslims, not just many-generation Canadians, but all Canadians, including originally non-Muslim immigrants from other countries. There are many people, but little cohesive community.

In this context, it is difficult for an unmarried Muslim to find a spouse. It is also quasi-impossible to find a Wali (a real one; not just someone who turns up to your Nikkah to sign you over to a stranger), unless you have family members who are willing and able to do this for you.

You can try to ask an Imam or people around you to help connect you to a spouse in your own community. It may work, especially if you are young and attractive (for a woman) or well-placed (for a man). I would still advocate that you get to know this person by meeting them yourself and getting to know them; they are rarely well-known by the Imam or the people who recommend them. And you probably don't know the Imam or the people who are recommending the person well, either.

In this context, a person wishing to marry (especially a woman), must take the time and make the effort to get to know the other person well, and be very careful not to trust the other person and get emotionally attached before that person has proved him (or her)self.

(smile) To make my text lighter, I'm going to continue writing from a woman's perspective. However, quite a bit of what I will say will probably be a good idea for a man, too.

Meet in public, or with your friends present. If you have supportive family members who are willing and able to help you (no matter what their religious affiliation), don't be shy to draw on their help. If you have no family, try drawing on friends, especially married friends, or older people. Try to meet his colleagues at work, his friends, neighbours (if you can talk with them without his knowledge, this is best), professors, relatives (if he has any in your country)... anyone who can give you an insight into his character. Look also at the way he behaves with those around him. Don't take his word for it. Watch carefully for what he actually does. How does he treat service people (waiters, cleaners, bus drivers...), strangers who ask for directions, his friends, his relatives... you... For instance, is he courteous? Is he on time? Does he keep his word? Does he pay for meals you may have together (not just one or two, I mean consistently)? Does he give you thoughtful gifts? Does he remember things that are important for you? Some warning flags are: if you find yourself feeling guilty, sorry for him, feeling hurt a lot, if you find yourself making excuses for him to other people, or find yourself paying for things (after some ingenious excuse or another on his part). It would also be wise to verify his identity (and have his documents checked by someone knowledgeable) and check with the police in your country if he has any record with them. A medical exam would be prudent.

I very much wish that there was a better and safer way for people (especially women) to find a husband. But right now, I feel that this is the safest way to go.

Women should be very wary of men who only want an Islamic marriage. This is a good indicator that the man is only looking for his own short-term gain; he very probably does not want to be obligated to you in any way. It generally indicates that he does not consider you as his real wife. He sees you as a mistress. Or worse. Are there exceptions to this? Yes, of course. But rarely.

A legal marriage is not a guarantee of his good intentions, but it helps. Men who stand to gain by a legal marriage may do this, even if their intentions are not honourable. For instance, if it helps his residency or immigration claim, or if a woman has an income or property that he could make a claim to in the event of a divorce (under the law of the country you reside in; these men care little for Islamic law, unless they can use it to their advantage).

Still, if you marry someone in your own country, you are safer than if you marry a stranger from overseas; at least you know your country's rules better, and have some sort of social support network.

If someone recommends you someone from overseas, you are going to have to be even more wary. Tell them upfront that you expect a full set of documents from them (and acquire them early in the acquaintance): at least all the documents that the immigration department of your country would require: medical checks, identity documents, financial statements, police checks... incidentally, you may need to ask for a more complete medical than the one your country requires. For example, in Canada, only certain diseases are looked for. A more thorough screening for sexual and other transmissible diseases would be very wise. If you have to sponsor him into your country, I would strongly recommend that a woman gets her prospective husband to put money into a legal trust that she would gain access to if he leaves her to go onto welfare (this is a real risk in my country; sponsors are obligated to pay for those they sponsor), or for any other financial loss that her particular situation may place her in. Legal documents to protect a woman's property are also prudent.

Finally, many people feel obliged to go onto the internet to look for a spouse. And this is the most dangerous route of all. You know nothing about these people (except what they tell you), the internet is a very intimate setting, there are professional financial scammers, and you are exposed to a wide range of corrupt (and corrupting) persons of the worst degree, such as online rapists (they like to send messages detailing what they'd like to do to you), seducers, immigration scammers, and organized criminals.

(smile) My text is a little biased, I know. I have experience and know stories from the woman's side, but I do not know much about the men's side, though I know that there are those who scam men, too. I'm hoping that other members can post about men's experiences. And also, if the brothers have knowledge of ways that men con women, that they may post them to help their Muslim sisters know what to look for, and how to deal with these deceptions. I feel that Muslim men and women need to talk with one another more so that we can better understand the challenges that the other faces. In this fractured world of ours today, I believe that we need to try to connect with one another and try to help one another.

I also know that my position that unmarried Muslim men and women should mix and get to know one another is contentious. But having looked at the alternatives, I cannot find a better route than this, at least in the present cultural context in which I live.

May Allah, the Distressor and the Source of Good, Help us to find benefit in the difficulties that we face.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-15-2015, 12:58 AM
:sl:

Many men know that women are easily to be deceived. Unfortunately it makes some men think they need to develop their 'deceiving skill' to make them easier to get a woman. So, do not easy to fall into a man who praise you with sweet words.

Now I must open my office. In Shaa Allah, I will be back later.

ardianto
04-15-2015, 10:39 PM
Assalamualaikum, sister MuslimInshallah

Not every woman is lucky. There are women who easily can get suitor when they want to get married, there are women who very hard to get suitor. Difficulty in getting suitor could make a woman fall into desperate situation which could make her consciously accept a man who she know that he might be would treat her badly. For some women, take a risk to live in unhappy marriage is still better than unmarried for lifetime. This is one reality that I have found among women.

We may give the women some tips, some warnings, but when they were in desperate situation they would not listen to us. Not different than we tell hungry person to not eat an unhealthy food.

What can we do to prevent the women fall into desperate situation?. Teach the boys to not judge a woman only from her beauty, then teach the girls to develop their personalities to become nice person.

As long as the men still judge a woman only from her beauty, there will always be desperate women.

crimsontide06
04-15-2015, 11:37 PM
There are a few girls I have "liked/wanted" & called it "love"..

1. Christian girl that I liked for 4 years, she did not like me though.I was so convinced that I will never want anyone else. After high school,I forgot about her in that way.

2. Muslim girl who never knew I liked her but she went down a dark path of drugs, she's not even mentally the same person anymore :/

3. My cousin(who has lived all her life in Palestine till recently) but..she is not as serious/open about religion, plus she does not want to marry a cousin. I have & still kinda feel, I will never like anyone like I want her. I am trying to be over her yet retain the ties of kinship.

I actually tried to change her, to make her take religion more seriously but I think it made her angry, may have come off as self-righteous. Also...we both have medical issues(me & OUR grandfather have the same medical issues), sooo....

I am not ready for marriage though, not even sure where I want to marry from.

A good mentally strong Muslim girl from America who understands what it is to live here(society, how things work..etc), someone who is intelligent...no "I hate America" mentality

or

A Muslim girl from Palestine.

I know I want someone who is

kind
good
nice
religious
beautiful
sweet
smart/intelligent
strong mentally & physically

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
04-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Ardianto,

It is true that desperation is a problem. (curious) Don't you think that men can feel desperate too?

Still, from what I can tell, the problem is much worse in Canada for Muslim women. For instance, I know a young woman who was interested in marriage for quite a few years. But no Muslim boys ever asked her. Frankly, how could they? The nice ones wouldn't even know her (no mixing, right?). The party boy kind of Muslim is not the kind she is interested in. But nice non-Muslim boys have politely asked her for serious purposes. So guess what? She is planning marriage with a non-Muslim boy. InshAllah he will accept Islam. But there are of course no guarantees.

In this case, the young woman is obviously attractive enough. Why did no Muslim boy ask her?

Another young woman I know of found Islam recently. She wants to do everything right, so she told all the young men she knew from school that she couldn't talk with them anymore. But she would really like to marry. So what is she doing? (sigh) Going online to find a good Muslim husband. You know, many new Muslims have idealistic ideas of what Muslim men are like. They truly believe that they will be treated the way that they have read Muslim men should treat women. This poor young woman is very likely to get burnt. She has no one to defend her or advise her.

Yet another young woman is feeling desperate now she's in her 30's. Her parents made it hard for her to marry, having rather ethnocentric ideas of whom she should marry. Plus she's been obediently studying for years to become that thing coveted by many immigrant parents: a physician. You would say to her "develop your character". Well, frankly, she has. She's a nice, gentle, hardworking young woman. Quietly pretty, but wears a headscarf (and this does make it harder to marry). She's not rushing to marry, but is quietly suffering and feeling depressed. Perhaps she will never marry.

If we throw up our hands and say: well, there's nothing we can do... are we fulfilling our duties towards our Muslim brothers and sisters?

I am hoping that if we talk about some of these issues, that we may help our Muslim brothers and sisters find ways to connect, and also help protect the vulnerable. I believe that if we cannot feel in our hearts that something is wrong, then there is something wrong with our hearts. And if we can talk about the problems and offer advice, then we take our caring to the next level. And if we can take on just a little responsibility for those who Allah Causes to cross our paths, then we take our faith and our love to the highest level.

People look for industrial-type mega-solutions to problems; I believe that we need to start with ourselves, then work outwards towards those we encounter: our families, our neighbours, our communities, strangers with whom we come into contact… I cannot change all the problems of this Ummah. No one can. And yet... everyone can. We can make a difference in individual lives; and the impacts of our actions ripple outwards in ways we cannot even comprehend. It may be that a small deed… is large indeed.

I cannot help every person out there. But perhaps I can help this one… and this one… and this one… I was reading in the Qur'an about how saving a single life is like if you saved all humanity. I think we need to look at other people this way. If I can save this one person from something bad… it makes a difference. (smile) But only Allah Knows exactly what the significance of what we do, truly is. So we must try our best, and then leave it in His Hands.

But we must at least try.

May Allah, the Kind, have Mercy on those who are alone, and Protect them from the corrupt.

sister herb
04-16-2015, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06

kind
good
nice
religious
beautiful
sweet
smart/intelligent
We all wish the same but is there kind of person exist at all?

Are you as kind of person you are looking for? Are you all of those you want from other person? Are you perfect? If not, how do you think some other might be?

ardianto
04-16-2015, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Ardianto,

It is true ........
Wa'alaikumsalam, sister.

You can say "don't lose hope" to a woman who start to desperate because she wants to get married but there's no man who comes to her. She will listen to you. However, if finally a man came to her and you knew that this man was not a good man, could you tell her "no!, no!, do not marry him!"?. Very possible she would angry at you because she regard you prevent her only chance to get married.

This woman might be knew that this man was not good to be a husband. But she also realize, might be accept this man was the only chance to get married because if she didn't accept this man, then there's no other man who would interested to her. Yes, this is a dilemmatic situation for her.

My previous statement actually was referring to women in this dilemmatic situation. My point was, rather than we give advice to desperate people which they would not listen to us, it's better if we do something to prevent them fall into desperate condition.

May Allah, the Kind, have Mercy on those who are alone, and Protect them from the corrupt.
Ameen. [Smile]

ardianto
04-16-2015, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06

kind
good
nice
religious
beautiful
sweet
smart/intelligent
Are you sure you can get a woman like this?.

Bro, if you think you can easily get a woman like you really expect, it's because you have never felt experience which you must get a woman by your own effort. If you have ever felt experience when you must struggle to convince a woman to accept you, felt experience when you must compete with other men, felt experience when you were rejected, then you would start to be realistic through lowering your standard of expected wife.

When I was teen, all of my friend had a dream to marry beautiful woman. Now?. Mostly of them married women who are not beautiful. But they feel happy with their wives. Difficulties and failures that they felt in their struggle to get a wife made them feel grateful when finally they were accepted although their wives do not really matched with their early criteria.

You will never know the difficulty of a struggle if you never feel this struggle by yourself. :)

Insaanah
04-16-2015, 03:20 PM
:salam:

I also know that my position that unmarried Muslim men and women should mix and get to know one another is contentious. But having looked at the alternatives, I cannot find a better route than this, at least in the present cultural context in which I live.
It is better to remain single and unmarried, than to engage in sin "with a view to marriage". Allah will know those who avoided sin for his sake and had to endure hardship because of it, and kept firm and patient on it, and will reward them amply if He so wishes from His Infinite Grace.

greenhill
04-16-2015, 03:45 PM
May Allah forgive my sins.

ardianto
04-16-2015, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

It is better to remain single and unmarried, than to engage in sin "with a view to marriage". Allah will know those who avoided sin for his sake and had to endure hardship because of it, and kept firm and patient on it, and will reward them amply if He so wishes from His Infinite Grace.
:wasalam:

I think what sister MuslimInshallah mean is not committing premarital relationship, but do interaction to make them understand about opposite gender.

I notice, there are brothers and sisters here who have negative image on opposite gender and do not know how to respect the opposite gender. The bad effect that will be happen is they will not treat their spouses well after they have been married. It's happen because they don't know about opposite gender except from people who 'indoctrinate' them which usually tell them about negative things like, women are materialistic, men are selfish, etc.

I myself could treat my late wife well because I have positive view on women which I got from my interaction with women such as my schoolmates, my neighbors, my friend's sisters, etc. No, no, I never did something wrong, just normal interaction. When I learned Qur'an when I was kid I always learned together with girls. In my country brothers and sisters in Islamic organizations are mixing too, they discuss together, do activities together.

But I understand if there is cultural difference between Muslims in my place and Muslims in another place.

sister herb
04-16-2015, 05:11 PM
When marrying overseas, we also should remember that some people are looking for marriage to the western countries because they are looking for a visa to moving there. They (both men and women) use marriage only as excuse for this purpose.

Insaanah
04-16-2015, 06:00 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I think what sister MuslimInshallah mean is not committing premarital relationship
Yes, I understand that.

but do interaction to make them understand about opposite gender.
Most Muslims have opposite gender Muslims in their families who they can interact with. My understanding is that the sister is saying that Muslim men and women should mix and talk and get to know each other, if that will enable them to find a spouse. As Muslims, our conversations/interactions with non-Mahrams are meant to be limited to only what is necessary, and free mixing generally isn't allowed.

My point is, we shouldn't resort to the disallowed to achieve an objective, even if that objective happens to be an Islamic one. We should remain patient.

The problem is, though, that nowadays, mixing/talking etc has become the norm, and to suggest it shouldn't be done, comes across as ultra orthodox/strange, even though that was once the norm.

MuslimInshallah
04-16-2015, 09:02 PM

As Muslims, our conversations/interactions with non-Mahrams are meant to be limited to only what is necessary, and free mixing generally isn't allowed.
Assalaamu alaikum Insaanah,

(mildly) My point is, that in my cultural context, it is necessary. I support the idea that men and women shouldn't socialize outside of what is needed to function after they are married. But if they are looking to get married, they need to go out and socialize. What other alternative is there? I don't know any better way to do it. Trust me, I have tried to look for other solutions; but I have not found a better one than this. If you have some ideas, please share them with us.

JazakAllah khairan my sister.

sister herb
04-16-2015, 09:17 PM

(mildly) My point is, that in my cultural context, it is necessary. I support the idea that men and women shouldn't socialize outside of what is needed to function after they are married. But if they are looking to get married, they need to go out and socialize. What other alternative is there? I don't know any better way to do it. Trust me, I have tried to look for other solutions; but I have not found a better one than this. If you have some ideas, please share them with us.

You are right sister. In most of the western countries advices like "ask your parents to looking for suitable spouse to you" or "ask help from the imam" don´t work at all.

^o) Also, most of the people here (yes muslims too) can´t marry with stranger. They have to know him/her by some way before marriage (and fall in love). :statisfie

ardianto
04-16-2015, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
You are right sister. In most of the western countries advices like "ask your parents to looking for suitable spouse to you" or "ask help from the imam" don´t work at all.
In Indonesia guys and girls look for spouses by themselves. Indeed, not every guy or girl able to find a spouse by his/her own effort. But fortunately, other people often help them without asked. In example, when they see a man still unmarried they tell him "Bro, I know a girl. Maybe you are interested to meet her?". Many people in my place actually married those who introduced by other people.

There are people who married with those who introduced by their mothers too (fathers never involved in this affair), but not in arranged marriage.

ardianto
04-16-2015, 11:10 PM
I know, in the West Muslims are minority and their chance to choose life-partner is not as big as in Indonesia. But actually what makes them seem very difficult to find someone and get married?.

This question raised in my mind after I noticed Chinese people in Indonesia. Chinese is minority ethnic in my place which they just around 3% or maybe less. Mostly of them are non-Muslims. Usually they get married only among themselves, Chinese with Chinese. But seem like not difficult for them to find someone and get married.

MuslimInshallah
04-17-2015, 12:06 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) I mentioned tips to help people navigate the perils of searching for a spouse. So I'd like to mention a few tips on how to spot professional financial scammers on marriage sites. As I am a woman, this is written from a woman's perspective. Still, a lot of what I say could be useful for a man, too, I think.

These sorts of scammers are perhaps the easiest to spot, actually. There is a lot of info about how to protect yourself on the internet from this sort of scammer (try googling “spot scammers” or “romance scam”). If you copy and paste their names, profile descriptions or messages to you into google, you will often find chunks of word-for-word same text on multiple sites, including sites dedicated to alerting the public about scammers. You can also check their photos. This sort of scammer is lazy. They aren't interested in spending much time writing new letters for each person they contact, so they re-use chunks of text.

These scammers often have amazing profiles, and are just blown away by your wonderfulness. (smile) They often also aren't very good at figuring out how Muslims talk and think. Ask them about the meaning of life, or what is Islam for them, and they tend to fumble. They may also choose inappropriate usernames, say Islamically inappropriate things (like: I only drink socially…), and use very warm language off the bat.

The following message was from a scammer:

Wow!! You have an incredible profile & you are stunning, gorgeous actually. I saw your profile and it caused and unusual impact, I am interested in you. You have such a beautiful profile. Have you found your lover? If you are still searching, I would like to know more about you, what motivates you? What makes your heart leap with passion? Love? Joy? I find your intelligence and beauty very exciting. Hope we can connect, have a great weekend...

Both this message, and the profile (on halfourdeen), when I copied and pasted them into google, turned up on sites warning of romance scammers. I contacted halfourdeen with my evidence immediately, and they removed this profile. (Please do get these people banned- keep the sites as safe as possible for other users... if you are not sure if they are scammers or not, just send the site administrators your intuitions or proofs- they will look into them and make whatever decisions they feel are appropriate).

Scammers may, however, claim to be recent reverts to cover their mistakes. So other warning flags are useful: do they claim to be widowers (especially losing wives in high profile accidents)? Are there inconsistencies in their stories (dates and ages may vary, for instance)? Do they travel a lot? Are their language skills inconsistent with where they claim to be from? Do the messages seem like cut-and-paste jobs? Does the person try to exchange contact information quickly? This last point is a problem with other kinds of scammers, and even with sincere men. Do resist the urge to have more direct contact with a complete stranger (especially if he sounds fabulous). Exchange as many messages as you need to feel more secure about the person contacting you. And then, if you do want to talk with someone, ask for his number. Check the area code (is it consistent with his story?), then phone him through Skype (yes, phone. That you have to pay for; like that, he won't know your number or Skype name). Have someone with you listening in. This will protect you from inappropriate directions in the conversation, and can give you moral support and feedback, as needed. Don't rush. If he is sincere and serious, he will not try to make you hurry into anything.

The following scammer was more astute than many. His first message was not traceable. He appears to have cut-and pasted a whole lot of people's comments about Islam. He also was more-or-less answering the comments that I had sent him. Note the use of the term of endearment “dear”. Scammers like to insert such terms to create a sense of intimacy and care. Remember: he is not your husband... act accordingly.

Assalaamu alaikum

Thank you for writing and the wishes , I am doing good and its has equally been busy for me over here and thanks to Allah for all is moving on well .

Well my dear friend im not talking about alcoholic just taking something like orange juice anything fruit. anyway tell me how is the wealthier in Canada hope everything is fine over there...We could be very good friends because im interested in knowing you more if you didn't mind.

I like and understand your description of a sacred union .. where in oneness both partners has important roles and responsibilities to play and each partner always

trying to be the right mate . I have been married and would say that I was never found wanting as I believe that the greatest happiness is family happiness.

My journey into Islam was a personal one, I was born a christian but grew up with no religiousness installed in me and I never understood the concept of the faith that

I was born in, however I always had belief in God but not knowing the true religion .. so I was always asking ,reading and watched lots of religious shows but the one

that bought me the most was a shows focusing on difference between Christianity and Islam. For the first time, I saw a religion that made clear sense to me, one of the

main reason why I converted to Islam was in Christianity, I found it hard how could Jesus being the son of God/God on earth, however Islam saying that Jesus was a

prophet just seemed to make perfect sense to me and the way that Muslims worship God also appealed to me and I felt I could focused on worshiping God so much better

than as a Christian.

Islam being deep in my consciousness I went on associating with Muslims learning the inside of Islamic teaching and I said my Shahada about 4 months back and I feel so

fortunate to be part of such a peaceful and respectful religion but most of allI feel so liberated though I know the journey has just begun and I want to spend the

rest of my life learning and growing deeper in faith. .

Elsie is well ,she is in grade 5 and doing really well in school . Here is my email contact : XXXXXX .. you can write me

directly or you drop me yours so we can also exchange pictures .

Thanks and take good care of yourself .

However, the next message reverted to form, and was findable on scamming alert sites:

Assalaamu alaikum

Thanks for writing and for the kind compliment and wishes , I am glad you and the kids are all doing fine and I wish you more grease to your elbow and Allah blessing for you to carry out all responsibilities.Yes my daughter is a very beautiful girl she is not living with me.she's the only princess i have known, she's my joy my shinning light my hope she mean everything to me , yes i know your age and i think you still have a chance to have another child. everything is possible, can you tell me the name of your 3 children i like to know.

Why you never tell me about your husband about your marriage life i will like to know if you don't mind is good to know everything about ourself.

All marriages are to last a lifetime but sometimes the inevitable happens. How long were you married and how long have you been on your current job ? Well i have never been to canada before i have visit United States Of America City of New York is a very beautiful placeto visit. I can see you always smile tell me do you smile everytime,You said you are getting yourself into politics tell me which of the post are you contesting for and i hope is muslim party. well in that case i will support you, do you really know so much about politics you have to know is a hard game politics can break someone's heart when he/she lose election very scared of politics anyway.

I want to spend the rest of my life with someone who is friendly,honest, caring, and trustworthy and fearing. I find very much peace and tranquility here. I`m 5`11" 190 bls with a athletic build, mentally stable, physically fit, a bunch of laughs, warm, caring,honest, a good listener, Fearing, and a positive person. I am real easy person to talk to and a loving and outgoing father. I like going to the movies, or watching movies in my room or Cabin, I like swimming, listening to music and dance to any kind of music, I sing, sailing, going bowling and also a good cook.

I am a family oriented person, love children and there is more, but it would be better for you to find some things out for yourself. It is very important for
me to build a life of stability, security, and opportunity for the special person I hope to share my thoughts, feelings, experiences,dreams and fantasies with, and to offer the best opportunities for any kind that might be included in my life, both mine and that special person children, and that is my focus at this time and I also do enjoy my job.

I want to learn about you and what makes up your heart and soul, as the friendship I want to build with you I want it to be like no other youhave ever shared in or experienced. This friendship I want to build with you will be filled with substance, quality, spirituality, love,faithfulness. Potential. Hope i didn't write much of a novel

U.K has been my place of living and work for many years as I was a direct staff of British Petroleum for over 10 years and in the last 3 yearsI have been working on Independent Contract bases and that what brought me here in UAE . I have been in UAE for a month plus under a 5 months contract but which I am hoping to finish before next month .

My Ex wife was from Hungary and I have my daughter ( Elsie) studying in a boarding International School over there and she and grand mom takes care of her when on holiday . I am very close to her and we spend as much time as I can afford from my work and we do travel around Europe when on holiday.

This scammer was more astute than many. He actually was (more or less) answering to my comments. Still, notice the introduction of a job that has him travelling in the Middle East. He casually asks about my job. Note also the use of strings of adjectives or nouns to describe himself. He is really hitting all the positive notes. I believe this is to make sure that something resonates with the victim of his scam. He is also suggesting that he is very wealthy (international boarding schools, and trips around Europe are not cheap…). And he loves children… When someone sounds this good... beware. Real people are a lot less amazing, and less good at describing themselves.

And why would someone who is such a great guy, has only one child (conveniently away) and wealthy to boot... be interested in a middle aged, child-laden person like myself?

(mildly) We are often scammed by our weaknesses. We are so lonely, and we so much want to believe that we are what the scammer says or hints that we are... and that the amazing person that the scammer pretends to be would be interested in us...

Anyway, I hope that this post helps you. I strongly encourage you, if you are taking the risk of looking for a spouse online (I would recommend that you not risk it, but given the fact that it can be very hard to find a spouse, I understand why you may try this), to read up on romance scammers. In Canada, this is the number one method that Canadians are defrauded (according to the CBC).

Be very wary. Don't be afraid to “lose” an amazing guy. Chances are very good that he isn't.

May Allah, the Victory Giver, Help us to defeat the intentions of those who mean us harm.

ardianto
04-17-2015, 12:42 AM
I cannot trust a salesman who praise me with sweet words like "You are success businessman!, people adore you!, so you need this car to maintain your high prestige!". I cannot trust a man like this because I know, this is type of man that take advantage from other people weakness, and will not hesitate to cheat.

Type of salesman that I can trust is type of man who does not praise me and does not exaggerate when he promote his product. But he allow me to observe his product and can give me information that I need.

Correlation with this topic?.

Sisters, when a man approaches you, your situation actually is not different than my situation when a salesman offer something to me.

sister herb
04-17-2015, 05:02 AM
Sisters, when a man approaches you, your situation actually is not different than my situation when a salesman offer something to me.
And this goes also same to brothers. We can see marriage as the trade agreement. Of my mind it is something what marriage shouldn´t be. In my case, as western woman, I could guarantee free visa to someone to Europe and what I get is husband whose might not care about me at all but only use me as a step to the "better life".

:embarrass I have met some this kind of brothers already. When some brother from overseas ask me to marry next time, how I can know he isn´t similar? How I can be sure that all brothers aren´t similar like those I have met?

imsad

Muhammad
04-17-2015, 09:26 AM
:wasalamex respected sister,

I think it is dangerous to encourage Muslim brothers and sisters to go out and 'socialise', and say that it is necessary. It is possible to find out about others in ways that do not require us to break the rules of gender interaction. You mentioned a number of examples in your first post such as drawing on the help of family members, friends, elders, colleagues and others can be included in this such as Imams and appropriate people that choose to provide this service. Drawing on the help of others doesn't mean we blindly accept their choice - rather one can learn more about the recommended people once he/she decides to take it to the next stage. This is different to allowing a blanket freedom to socialise with whomsoever one wishes, regardless of whether a person is being considered for marriage or not, and regardless of the boundaries that need to be in place.

The example of our mother Khadeejah :ra: comes to mind, who came to know of the Prophet's :saws: honesty and trustworthiness, and came to know of his character, despite not engaging directly in trade herself. She later sent her friend with a proposal. We learn from her story many things, including how to maintain our morals and virtues when dealing with the opposite gender.

We can note the following Q&A from Islamweb:

Question

I live in USA. Part of the activity of our Masjid is to organize events where Muslim can socialize and get to know each other. One of the tasks we tried to accomplish is to facilitate marriage for singles. So we decided to gather the singles (men and women) to give them a chance to know each other. The way we organize this is we seat few brothers on one side of the table and we seat sisters on the other side of the table in a present of table observer to facilitate the discussion. After 10 minutes the brother moves to another table so they can know other sisters for marriage purpose. Our intention is to make marriage easy for people. Is this Halaal? Given the fact that 1- No Mahram is present and 2- Some sisters are not wearing Hijaab.

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.

There are many ways to look for a wife in Islam. For instance one can make inquiries through his female relatives or by asking male friends to query their female relatives on his behalf. If he learns of one or more women, he has to make Istikhaarah (to pray two optional Raka'h) seeking guidance in making a decision or choosing the proper course of action. He should also seek the advice of those who know each one of these women. If he feels in his heart that he is attracted to marry any of them, there is no harm in his looking at her with the presence of one of her Mahaarim (non-marriageable relatives) or at a gathering so that he would not be in seclusion with her. The Prophet

said: ''If one of you proposes to a woman, there is no prohibition in his looking at (some parts) of her (body) if he is looking at her for the purpose of marrying her.” [Ahmad] This is what our righteous predecessors

were upon.
The method that was mentioned in the question is not permissible as it includes some religious prohibitions. For instance, dissolute people could take this as a means to look at women not for the purpose of getting married to them, but rather just to look at them and talk to them. This could also be a cause for suspicions among Muslims. In addition, a person who wants to propose marriage to a woman is only allowed to look at the woman he wants to marry. In the situation mentioned, he is looking at several women to whom he will not marry. So one has to be cautious about this. Yet, the best guidance remains that of the Prophet

and his companions

Finally, it should be noted that a woman is like a man, she is permitted to ask for marriage and express her will about it. So, it is permissible for her to propose herself to men to marry her as one woman proposed herself to the Prophet

in which case, she has to observe Hijaab and good moral conduct and this should be in a manner that does not lead to affliction or suspicion.
And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=88579

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Insaanah
04-17-2015, 09:59 AM

Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh dear sister,

The fact that a spouse cannot be found by other normal routes, doesn't necessitate mixing. While marriage is highly recommended, we're not allowed to use disallowed means to get to that. If one cannot be found by permissible means, then one should remain patient, make dua, trust in Allah, and continue with the normal efforts people make.

As an analogy, hajj is fard on one who has the means. Yet if somebody takes an interest based loan to be able to go on hajj, because they otherwise won't be able to go, is that right? No.

Similarly, we can't recommend, people use means not allowed in Islam, for the purpose of achieving another objective.

If marriage doesn't happen, and there are some for whom it doesn't, then they will be rewarded for their patience on that. Allah hasn't told us that we must use any means at all by which to get married. Even of those who don't have the finances, He says: "And let those who find not the financial means for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah enriches them of His Bounty..." (24:33, part).

If a Muslim woman doesn't have the means, e.g. somebody to look for her, no family, no imam as wali if a new Muslim, or normal routes can't be tried or aren't working, then patience is the key, along with hope, du'aa, trust, and continuing whatever permissible efforts there are, if any. Each of us has trials, and perhaps that is the trial for some, which Allah tests us by to see if it will bring us closer to Him, or take us down routes that He does not like, while we in our hearts think that we are doing it for good.

For info, I live in Western society and am fully acquainted with the situation/problem you describe, but wouldn't recommend that Muslim sisters mix with/get to know Muslim men to try to see if it might produce some results.

And Allah knows best.

MuslimInshallah
04-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Mohammad and Ardianto,

(smile) Thank you so much for your input. Yes, indeed, I most strongly suggest that people draw on whatever social supports they have in looking for a spouse. This is the best way to go. (sigh) The problem is... there may well not be many social supports.

Mohammad, you cited the example of Khadijah (RAA). You could cite many other examples of the Companions, too. But the cultural context there and then is so radically different from what my society is experiencing. The Companions lived in a small society, where families were close and people knew each other very well. (pensively) The men also seemed to be more interested having in wives and families, then, too. In my society, there are many, many immigrants influxing into a decaying Christian environment that has been severely damaged by a homogenizing industrial-corporate force (Abdul-Hakim Murad calls it the monoculture). These immigrants have few or no family connections, come from a wide variety of different places and cultures, and tend to move around a lot. And people in general don't seem to be so keen on the responsibilities and compromises that spouses and children bring.

I myself am an immigrant. When I arrived in Canada (about 34 years ago), there were 24 million people living here. Now there are about 35 million. Given that the local people had very few children in this time, the proportion of new immigrants is even higher than you might imagine.

Let me paint you the picture a little: I have a good friend from Egypt. She arrived here 3 years ago. A couple of days ago, she was telling me how sad she felt. She has only two friends here in Canada: myself and another woman of the same ethnicity as herself. Her husband has no friends. He goes to the masjid, but he doesn't really know anyone (it doesn't help that the masjid he goes to is run by a different national-origin group than his own). He can't find a job. Her only child is in daycare. She's spent the past 3 years working like crazy to get her professional license. Now she has it. And she's trying to find a job.

I have another friend. She was with me when my last child was born. She's a nice person. I'd like to see her more, but she's always very busy. She was living with her husband in Saudi Arabia for several years, because he couldn't find a job here (so I heard from her even less during that time). He's still there, but now she's back here by herself (no family apart from her children), so that her children can go to university.

I have a Muslim neighbour round the corner. She's also a nice person. But I almost never meet up with her. She's too busy. Her husband lives and works in the U.S. We wave when we cross paths. Sometimes we talk for a few minutes. Her family is in France and Senegal. She spends a good part of her day chatting with her family and husband on the phone or on Skype. She's taking tajweed classes with someone in Pakistan. And she hangs out with Senegalese people here, when she wants to socialize with people in the flesh.

I have a friend from Morocco. She used to live a couple of blocks away, but she moved a couple of years ago. She's spent most of her time in Canada either studying for her professional license, or working full-time to get a foothold in her profession. She is fortunate: she and her husband have several relatives living in the general area. She is also part of a larger ethnic community. So she knows a few people. I have talked with herover the years (on the few occasions we talk) about if she knows anyone interested in marriage, both for myself, and for my daughters. She looked at me with pitying eyes and said: you have children… And as for my daughters?... nothing. Perhaps because the circles she moves in mostly have younger children, like herself? Perhaps because we are not Moroccan? Perhaps because she is so overwhelmed with the challenges of raising her children in an alien environment? Probably a mix of these and other reasons...

I have a friend in Montreal, where I used to live. I talk with her a few times a year. Occasionally, we meet up. She has quite a few (Pakistani-origin) community contacts. I have asked her about marriage and her own older children. One (out of eight) is married. I have asked her help. But she, too, is very busy. There was a man in my age group who was widowed... but she forgot about me. I only found out when she mentioned her husband had gone to his wedding. And as for my daughters... well, I have not heard anything.

I could go on. But it is pretty much the same story: immigrants, moving, too busy, physically separated from husbands or divorced, many different ethnicities, often few family or community ties, being wrapped up, alone and exhausted, with the challenges of living in this plastic world of ours... these are the realities of my time and place.

Imams? Hmm, we have 8 Imams in the greater area. I know 3 of them relatively well. They are all incredibly overworked. They do not have time to be Walis. Frankly, they run like crazy from problem to problem, like boys trying to fix leaks in crumbling dykes. What problems? Youth involved in gangs, drugs, the party scene, radicalization... meeting with government and security officials... worrying about the young abandoning the masaajid (which they are in overwhelming numbers- barely any come)... trying to find agreement with one another on basic points such as: when does Eid start (do we follow the moon or calculations?)...

The Imams often don't know many of the men who come to their masaajid to pray. One Imam told me of having men turn up of whom he knows nothing. They ask for an Islamic marriage. Only. He tells me he thinks these young men don't have honourable intentions. They just want to cover their actions with a veneer of halalness. I have talked about the problems of finding a spouse. I was told to go on Facebook and meet strangers in cafés. It was suggested that I start up a marriage service to help the Muslim community. (sigh) Perhaps I will try to do this. If Allah Gives me the health and energy.

Most of my life, I have been married (and when I was younger, I went a fair bit to all-girls schools). I kept away from men, lowered my eyes. Indeed, I felt very uncomfortable with men. I loved being home and raising my children.This was my focus: my husband and my children. But in more recent times, I have been forced to start to speak and interact with men: first with the Imams, then with masjid officials (who run things far more than the Imams do), and now more widely. I have found myself forced to talk with unpleasant men who claim to be seeking marriage. I absolutely hate it. The internet-met ones are the worst. The depravity of those who call themselves Muslims can be staggering. And my experiences are not the exception. Indeed, I have heard of worse experiences from other women.

(sigh)

But, (smile) I think we can agree with one another, Mohammad and Ardianto, that the best solution is to build strong communities. Link people together.Help people grow roots. Help them water their faith. If we had these things, we would be getting closer to the conditions of the Muslim community of our Prophet (SAWS). If we had these conditions, we would not, I think, have the same problems of isolation and alienation and marginalization that we are experiencing today.

However, just as revelation came slowly to the people of the time of the Prophet (SAWS), so, I believe, must we bring people to true Islam slowly. Much as I would love to have a strong and cohesive community of true believers, this is not the circumstance under which I operate. (mildly) Therefore, I believe, we must do what is necessary to preserve the faith and nurture our community. And helping true and decent Muslims to marry is one of the fundamental foundations of a healthy Muslim society, I believe.

Between the extremes of saying anything goes and never socialize, there are other possibilities. (mildly) Do you think, Mohammad, that when I talk with men, that I (or other Muslim women) observe no rules whatsoever? Believe me, if I could avoid talking with men such as I have been forced to do, I would be very happy. But just as, if I were starving, it becomes incumbent upon me to eat the flesh of dead animals, if necessary, just so I must talk with men (and believe me, there are times I'd much prefer to eat rotting flesh!).

I feel that perhaps the question should be put more to our Muslim brothers who are supposed to be protecting and maintaining us: why are you forcing us, your sisters in faith, into this situation?

Where is the leadership of men? Saying: don't do this, or: well, I hope things work out for you, sister... bye!, or: can you set something up for us, sister? is not leadership. We need real and concrete efforts towards real solutions.

(twinkle) Yes, I'm throwing the ball into your court again, O men!

May Allah, the Giver of Honour and Dishonour, Bear witness to our actions and intentions, and Guide us towards that which is Pleasing to Him.

IslamicRevival
04-17-2015, 06:44 PM
An insightful post indeed. I do believe it's important to communicate but of course well within Islamic limits. The question is how to remain balanced without crossing those limits? Its a very fine line and perhaps the solution is to communicate but in an open environment preferably with family in the know. Allah knows best.

Signor
04-17-2015, 08:56 PM

It is no secret that finding a spouse in today’s world is much different than it was in the past. Many would say it is even more challenging.The diversity of people and the potential to meet has made the internet a very attractive way to find a compatible spouse. Yet, the nature of interpersonal relationships is that they cannot remain as cyber relationships. The human touch is still necessary when it comes to a relationship with another human being.As technology continues to change, how we as Muslims interact with one another will inevitably play a role in how people meet,we must be aware of the pitfalls and dangers of this medium.

Talking about controversial statement made,I think it is the Islamic behavior which defines custom of courting.Muslims, men and women, should not gather in seclusion with the opposite sex without a mahram,not even in large groups or parties.I am still reflecting upon what can be done in the case stated without compromising Islamic values but I do know shariah allows a man and woman(for the purpose of getting marriage) to be in a room with the door open so that someone can hear just outside or with a mahram present inside the room(Would it be done in public,it can harm the reputation of man or woman).The idea is that a unmarried Muslim gets to 'sense' the other person without pressure from relatives and without losing modesty.

Religiously speaking, there isn’t a prescribed method for finding a spouse in our tradition.We find a variety of ways in our tradition that people utilized when getting married as well as different types of couples. Younger men marrying older women, intercultural marriages, arranged marriages and love marriages, marriages in which the woman proposed to the man, and many more. What this shows us is not that these ways are the only ways to do it, but there are many ways and no set, defined way to go about it. Permissibility does not equate to normativity,just because it’s allowed to be done in a certain way, doesn’t mean that’s the only way of doing it. In general, this is something that needs to be understood because too many of us give advice based off of our own subjective experiences and understandings, and don’t really think about the reality that the other person is coming from.Regardless of whats already mentioned,I managed to gather and address few points for the sake of guidance too,online or otherwise.

One downside to seeking spouse online has to do with one of its defining characteristics: the profile. In the real world, it takes days or even weeks to unfold, as people learn each other’s likes and dislikes and stumble through the awkward but often rewarding process of finding common ground. Online, that process is telescoped and front-loaded, packaged into a neat little digital profile, usually with an equally artificial video attached.

The sheer number of candidates that some sites provide their marriage-seeking singles,can actually undermine the process of finding a suitable mate. The fact that candidates are screened via their profiles already sets up a judgmental, “shopping” mentality that can lead people to objectify their potential partners. Physical appearance and other intangible characteristics may certainly be part of the spark that brings two people together, but having to sift through hundreds of profiles may become overwhelming, forcing the looker to start making relationship decisions based on increasingly superficial and ultimately irrelevant criteria.

It also means that people may unknowingly skip over potential mates for the wrong reasons. The person you see on paper doesn’t translate neatly to a real, live human being, and there’s no predicting or accounting for the chemistry you might feel with a person whose online profile was the opposite of what you thought you wanted.A partner is another human being, who has his or her own needs, wishes and priorities, and interacting with them can be a very, very complex process for which going through a list of characteristics isn’t useful.After all,Interaction is a rich and complex process.

Another major downfall of matrimonial-websites is that you can never be sure who is being honest and who is pretending to be someone they’re not.Some of these people are trying to con the men and women they meet. When people “chat” online, the computer screen reduces any personal inhibition and it becomes much easier to impress the other person. The Internet lifts real world boundaries so people fall easier into flirtatious and immodest behavior, become prone to saying things online that they normally wouldn’t say to someone in person, or chat for longer periods of time than they normally would with any individual.

Since internet makes it very easy to be anonymous; therefore creating an online profile can become the perfect opportunity to be someone different, someone better, someone more attractive, more wealthy, more educated, etc. The biggest complaint made about online matchmaking sites is that there is a lot of exaggeration and even deception.Individuals can exaggerate or lie about everything from their age and profession to what they look like and where they are from to their marital status.

Because of this the Internet makes it impossible to know whether the person you are communicating with online is a “real” person at all. People who are not serious about marriage may create profiles on matchmaking sites because they enjoy perusing people’s profiles and enjoy the “game” of meeting people and flirting online.They prey on the vulnerabilities and emotional condition of naive females,similar to cults. There are a lot of people online claiming they are looking for a spouse. It goes without saying that unfortunately not everyone has good intentions. Some men may even try to lure you with piety and say that they are pious individuals looking for a pious spouse. Be careful!

Safety precautions should be taken by everyone who posts a profile on a matchmaking site to ensure their privacy. Sharing private information with someone on the other side of a screen can be dangerous, since it is accessible to global viewers.Creating a separate email account for matchmaking correspondences would be beneficial in case a failed connection leads to one person stalking the other. In initial conversations with a person, you should be careful about how much personal information you share. It is best to withhold phone numbers, addresses of home, school and work places. This type of personal information should only be shared once the relationship proceeds to meeting in person and the character of the person has been determined.For this reason, it is important that people who are serious about getting to know someone for marriage must move from the online setting to an offline meeting as quickly as possible.

The nature of using the Internet in private may also persuade individuals to hide an online relationship from their families, which will become an issue once the relationship moves offline. Secretive relationships are a major “red flag” and Islamically a serious problem. Individuals who refuse to meet offline or with family may be withholding something that may only be revealed by meeting offline. Therefore, caution should be taken if relationships remain online and are based on secrecy as these serve as “red flags” that honesty and trust have not been established, and this will lead to further problems in the relationship.

Prolonging an online relationship can be a problem because the “connection” could be based completely on false information, which will ultimately lead to major disappointment. Therefore, remaining exclusively online to establish and maintain relationships can become a complete waste of time and even a distraction from finding a true match. Seeking to meet in person and develop a relationship that will lead to marriage needs to be the intention.Online mixing also removes any exclusivity.You can never be sure that you are the only person a potential spouse is chatting with unless you ask them upfront, nor determine the seriousness of the relationship if conversations continue only online.Therefore,Be straightforward about your purpose (not looking for friendship but marriage)that you are only interested in people who are seriously looking to get married. Do not waste your time talking about useless topics. Be careful of a person who just wants to bring up inappropriate topics with you such as an over obsession about looks (yours or his) or just plain flirting.Women like to be complimented and feel attractive to opposite gender; however, too much detailed talk about these things should be reserved for spouses. Therefore, we should not fall into this action. Also, be careful about someone who repeatedly avoids your wali(in sister's case), as this may be a sign that he is not serious.

Treat others as you want(and yours) to be treated,only then you can do justice.If one were to think over how he or she would like to be treated by others, one would evolve the human virtues.Anyone who meets a potential spouse online must maintain appropriate Islamic and personal boundaries throughout the process. Be aware of the language you use when chatting with someone and try to speak in the same way you would in person. Stay in tune with your feelings: if something doesn’t feel right or if someone seems too good to be true, it is probably your intuition telling you something is wrong. If you are chatting seriously with someone online, you should share this with your parents/other mahrams so they are aware and can further encourage you to meet offline.

Befriend Good People.This will open up the door for networking later on, because one of the main problems today is that a lot of people ask, ‘Ok but how do I meet good potential spouses?’ and they often say ‘I don’t know anyone!’ but in reality everyone knows somebody,there is always someone you can befriend. But keep in mind that these individuals should be good practicing people themselves because then they can help introduce you to other practicing people who in turn might have brothers and sisters who are looking for marriage.Just don’t become that sister or brother who always talks about marriage and the opposite gender, because chances are you might get labelled as “thirsty” if not worse.

Be at Good Places.Attend lectures,Special Occasions such as Eid gatherings,study circles or maybe even volunteer to help at the masjid etc, all these activities will open up the door for you to meet the right people and once you get to know them you can raise the issue of marriage discreetly.Most people who marry will tell you they got to know their spouse either through family and friends, or they might have actually met whilst doing the same activities, so try to be more active and don’t just sit at home feeling sorry for yourself.This does not endorse any talking between the genders without the supervision of a Wali. Be a man and step up your game if you truly wants to get married.

Be Introspective.We cry and say why won’t anyone marry me? But do nothing to change ourselves. How do you treat people when you get upset? What do you do if you hold a grudge? Do not turn a blind eye to all these important issues, rather tackle them one by one. No one is perfect but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be trying.If you truly and sincerely work on your own flaws, and really do become more caring and loving then you will notice how people will look at you differently. People will start to think of you as 'hubby' or ‘wifey’ material because you are good with kids, because you care for others, because you forgive people and don’t hold grudges don’t gossip etc the list is long but if you take one step at a time you will be married before you know it.

It’s very important to know yourself first and then consider whether you share common goals with your partner. Do you both have the same ideals, values, dreams, and aspirations? In essence, you should both be going in the same direction. If your partner has dreams and aspirations that go in the opposite direction from you, you cannot share a life together, even if that person is kind and giving.

Look for Kindness.When you first meet someone, you may have instant physical attraction, but this should not be confused with love. Love is something you must work on. It has to be created and developed between the two of you. Kindness and giving create love. A love that is giving and kind is based on an internal connection and is more lasting. Physical attraction is an external connection and will fade over time.

Love that is based on giving is because you care about the person, not because you want to get something back in return. This giving must go both ways. Both individuals must give to each other from a place of compassion and caring. So look for someone that is able to give to you and motivates you to give back to them. Marry a person you want to give to even if you get nothing back in return.How do you know if they are caring, kind, and compassionate? Listen to them. Listen to what they say, watch how they treat others, and listen to how they feel about helping those in need. Pay attention to how they treat you when you need sympathy. Are they so self-absorbed they fail to recognize your needs or do they take in your problem and try to give you empathy?

If you really pay attention, you can pick up a lot about a person’s character by how they speak to others and how they speak about others. Do they look down on other people, are they only focused on themselves and their needs; is their reaction towards other people extreme?Beware of any type of love that lacks a sense of giving and a sense of caring.

Be Realistic in your approach.If you think that you will marry that one complete person who has everything, you will never marry and that’s the harsh truth.Learn to appreciate the whole person which includes the good, the bad, and the ugly. In order for any relationship to succeed you have to have the humility to recognize the limitations in yourself and in others. We are all from God and everyone has flaws and shortcomings. No one is perfect.Ask yourself, what is more important to you? Is it more important to have someone you can have a deep and meaningful connection with or someone that will keep a nice and tidy house? You may not get both. Is it more important to you to have a responsible and reliable partner or someone that is fun and adventurous? What areas are you willing to compromise in? For this reason, you must be willing to throw out the term “perfect” and compromise for the “good enough” relationship and the “good enough” partner.It’s unrealistic and arrogant to think you deserve perfection. Since you are not perfect you should learn to accept the imperfections of others. The one who thinks the world of himself is usually the one who expects the world from others.

Observing the Character(For Males). To find pious woman,rely on your personal observation.If you notice a woman acting modestly, being not too obvious through her actions (by lowering her voice when around men), one who attempts to hide her attractions (which includes her external beauty as well as her internal charms), then you know she has some of those precious qualities. When you see a woman unashamedly flirting, unconcerned about her revealing clothes, and freely converses with males- keep far, far away. Through simple observation, you can get a glimpse of her nature; for example, the way she stands when conversing, how she maintains eye-contact, her clothes, where she spends her time etc. Look for her strong points, and don't stress on her weak ones.

In all of the choices we make, though, it’s crucial to remember that it is Allah(not Us)who brings us together with a spouse. Humans do need to take the initiative in a relationship and pursue the other half, but Allah is still the one who brings the couple together. Seek Allah's way and He will fulfill (or change) your desires. Finally, making du`a’ and istikhara prayers for guidance to what is best in your search for a spouse is essential. Maintaining a connection to Allah and relying on Him will help give you clarity and inner peace when making the important life decision to marry or not marry someone.

May Allah, the Giver of Honour and Dishonour, Bear witness to our actions and intentions, and Guide us towards that which is Pleasing to Him.
Aameen

Signor
04-17-2015, 09:01 PM
If a Muslim woman doesn't have the means, e.g. somebody to look for her, no family, no imam as wali if a new Muslim, or normal routes can't be tried or aren't working, then patience is the key, along with hope, du'aa, trust, and continuing whatever permissible efforts there are, if any. Each of us has trials, and perhaps that is the trial for some, which Allah tests us by to see if it will bring us closer to Him, or take us down routes that He does not like, while we in our hearts think that we are doing it for good.
I made a post on similar topic,one of my all time favorite.

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1607460

Signor
04-18-2015, 09:01 AM

I notice, there are brothers and sisters here who have negative image on opposite gender and do not know how to respect the opposite gender. The bad effect that will be happen is they will not treat their spouses well after they have been married. It's happen because they don't know about opposite gender except from people who 'indoctrinate' them which usually tell them about negative things like, women are materialistic, men are selfish, etc.
There's nothing wrong in speaking to the opposite gender, so long as it is done for need, with respect and without any non-sense. Gender interaction isn't an on and off switch between “fully integrate” and “totally ignore.”Lots of Muslims run into the dangers of the two extremes. We need to judge scenarios and see exactly what's up, while at the same time act in a manner of respect. We have to use our brain.

By following the example of Musa(A.S), we come to know the Prophetic method to interact with the opposite gender but to modify your actions to suit the scenario in terms of respect. When Musa(A.S)came by the two women who were in need of assistance, What did he do? Did he ignore them and walk away in “fear” of his Lord? No. Did he help them yet at the same time get too close and friendly around them? No. He helped them and took them to where they needed to go, yet he kept it real. As they traveled to their destination, he walked in front of them instead of next to or behind them, so as to help them and at the same time respect them according to the manners of gender interaction.

The story illustrates the remarkable attributes of truthfulness, trustworthiness, courage, and chastity,Qualities which all the Prophets of Allah possess.

ardianto
04-18-2015, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Signor

There's nothing wrong in speaking to the opposite gender, so long as it is done for need, with respect and without any non-sense. Gender interaction isn't an on and off switch between “fully integrate” and “totally ignore.”Lots of Muslims run into the dangers of the two extremes. We need to judge scenarios and see exactly what's up, while at the same time act in a manner of respect. We have to use our brain.

By following the example of Musa(A.S), we come to know the Prophetic method to interact with the opposite gender but to modify your actions to suit the scenario in terms of respect. When Musa(A.S)came by the two women who were in need of assistance, What did he do? Did he ignore them and walk away in “fear” of his Lord? No. Did he help them yet at the same time get too close and friendly around them? No. He helped them and took them to where they needed to go, yet he kept it real. As they traveled to their destination, he walked in front of them instead of next to or behind them, so as to help them and at the same time respect them according to the manners of gender interaction.

The story illustrates the remarkable attributes of truthfulness, trustworthiness, courage, and chastity,Qualities which all the Prophets of Allah possess.
:wasalam:

I am a quiet-calm person in the real world who do not talk much, and I also never talk to a woman if not necessary. However, definition of necessary maybe different between me and other people. If I meet a woman who I know personally I always greet her because for me this is necessary, due to etiquette reason.

Indeed, then we often involved in conversation for one or few moments although sometime it could spend 20 minutes or more. The reason why I let myself to be involved in conversation is etiquette too. I cannot ask a woman to not talk with me if she wants to talk with me. What I can do is maintain my etiquette when I talk with a woman.

One thing that I always notice, women feel safe when they talk with me. It's because I never do something wrong and always able to control myself.

I was born in a family that open-minded, but very conservative in manner and etiquette. Since I was kid I have been taught about etiquette of interaction with other people, including etiquette of interaction with opposite gender. I have been taught to have respect to other people, including have respect to women.

Yes, I have been familiar with interaction with women since I was kid and I know the difference between interaction and free-mixing. Interaction with women made me able to treat the women in respectful manner.

Frankly, there is something that I notice, Muslim men from moderate societies who often interact with women can treat the women better than Muslim men from conservative societies which implement gender segregation. This is a reality that I have noticed.

ardianto
04-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I am not familiar with matrimonial sites, but I know how the men are, and I know about people behavior in internet. So, I have strong suspicion that there are men who use internet to become 'virtual playboy'.

There are men who dream to become a man who chased by the women who attracted to him because this condition indeed, can make a man feel like the king of the world. But they don't have supporting factors that can make them become a man like this. So they do not try to attract women in the real world.

But internet provide a place for people to be a fake person where they can do anything without other people know who and how they are in the real world. It's very possible if there are men who approach and seduce women in internet, not with intention to marry those women, but only to make those women attracted to them and they enjoy it.

I have this suspicion after I read stories of few women which they were attracted by men who seem like seriously interested to them, but then they are 'hanged' and abandoned. And my suspicion was becoming stronger after I found a part in MuslimInshallah post.

The following message was from a scammer:

Wow!! You have an incredible profile & you are stunning, gorgeous actually. I saw your profile and it caused and unusual impact, I am interested in you. You have such a beautiful profile. Have you found your lover? If you are still searching, I would like to know more about you, what motivates you? What makes your heart leap with passion? Love? Joy? I find your intelligence and beauty very exciting. Hope we can connect, have a great weekend...
I grew up together with playboys, I really know their behavior toward women. So I recognize the message above as crap seduction. :hmm:

Muhammad
04-21-2015, 02:29 PM
:wasalamex sister,

The argument that the society/cultural context of the Companions (may Allaah :swt: be pleased with them all) was very different to ours needs caution as it can be used to justify other things too. In any case, I can understand to an extent the pressures you describe, of not having social support in place, but I am not sure I understand why you would feel 'forced' to meet men. You mention the need to build a strong and cohesive society, yet I don't see how this can be brought about by encouraging something Islam prohibits - men and women socialising. There may well be other possibilities, but before we can use laws of necessity relevant for extreme hardship, we should consult the people of knowledge to ensure the reasoning and the suggested solution is correct. In the case of starvation, a person is at risk of losing his/her life. In the case of marriage, the same cannot be said.

Have you considered moving to a different society which may be more cohesive and in which there may be better systems in place for people wanting to get married? Just a thought. Alternatively, you did mention you might try and improve the current situation of the society you are in, which may also be the only option. It is perhaps difficult for the Imams since they are so over-stretched, and more people need to get involved in bringing about change for the better.

May Allaah :swt: make things easy for all Muslims and preserve their deen, Aameen.

MuslimInshallah
05-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

The next kind of scammer is worse than the financial scammer, in my opinion. I call him (and occasionally her; I've heard that some brothers have started experiencing this kind of fraud, too) the immigration scammer.

These young men (they are usually in their 20's and early 30's) are very common on Muslim marriage sites. They are not all necessarily 100% corrupt in their thinking. Some will try to make a marriage work, but have problems because they bit off more than they can chew (a 24 year old will probably have problems dealing with an older woman's teenage children, for instance). But all too many will just be looking for immigration to your country.

This problem is so acute in my country, that one of our local imams was telling me that 95% of marriages to overseas men don't work, and that he recommends women in our community not marry anyone from overseas. (sigh) But, of course, given that Muslim men in my country feel very free to marry non-Muslim women...and that these are the women they mix with and meet... there are too many Muslim women who have no husbands.

So what can you do? Personally, I've come up with the following suggestions:

1) Find out what your country's laws say about sponsoring a spouse
. Find out about the process. What documents would he need to submit? What tests might he need to undergo? How long might it take (it can take years...)?

2) Find out what liabilities you may incur when sponsoring a spouse
. For instance, in my country, if your sponsored spouse leaves you after coming to Canada, and then goes on social assistance, you must repay all the monies that the government gives him for up to 3 years (or up to 10 years if you sponsored his minor children). The law was recently changed to try to stem some of the fraud: if the person leaves you less than a year after coming, he can be deported (there were too many cases of people literally stepping off the plane, and dumping their spouse). (sigh) However, I think this will just prolong the agony, and cause more children to be abandoned by their fathers. But at least you'll only be liable for 2 (or up to 9) years maintenance, as I understand it.

Do these things before you even go looking for a spouse. Draw up some guidelines to protect yourself. Literally write them down.

For instance, if he needs to submit health checks, police reports, educational certificates… ask for these right from the beginning (and have them checked for authenticity- some fakes are pretty good). After all... he'll have to submit these all eventually... so why not right away? This will help you avoid the major liars who pretend they have diplomas, or that they are pure and healthy young men (when they are not). Because once you are married, it is much harder to break away from them, and they know it. They're hoping you will be so bound to them, that you'll put up with whatever disease or true diplomas they have.

This will help get rid of a fair amount of scammers. If you tell them you need these to just start to get to know them (while explaining that it is part of the immigration process he'll have to do anyway)... chances are that you'll never hear from them again. You are afraid to frighten away a true gem? Don't be. A true gem would understand the sensibleness and logic of the request. Many men run? Well... many men seeking brides in wealthy countries are would-be scammers.

Ask that he put some money in trust to cover the cost of sponsoring him and him leaving you once he arrives. Don't ask that he give you the money… this isn't fair. After all, he may be a true gem, and risk getting financially scammed. But look into how the money could be held in trust legally. This is done all the time when people are buying houses, for instance. Money may be held in trust by a lawyer or notary, with the conditions of release spelled out in a way that is fair to both parties.

Again, if he balks at this: beware.

Be careful, though. The scammer may agree to everything... but just not implement his promises. Before you get emotionally attached to a man (or woman), make sure that he looks into the immigration requirements (and that he meets them- not everyone can be accepted, even if you are married), and that he submits the proper documentation and funds, as necessary.

A wali can be so very useful for all of this... but, if you don't have a wali... see if you can't find an older happily married woman to help you out. If necessary, consult a lawyer or accredited immigration consultant (yes, this is pricy...but being scammed hurts like crazy, can bring children into the picture, and can be financially devastating).

(smile) I'm sure there are other things that can be done to protect Muslim women in desirable-destination countries. And if you know of any, please don't hesitate to post your suggestions on this thread. And if you are a Muslim man...perhaps you could think about helping your orphan Muslim sisters (because if we don't have Muslim families, or have menfolk who care enough to help us... are we not orphans?). Perhaps you could offer to be a genuine wali for a woman in your community, and help her through the difficult process of seeking a spouse?

May Allah, the Just One Who Sees All, Guide us towards behaviours and marriages that Please Him.

Signor
05-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Waalikum Assalaam

And if you are a Muslim man...perhaps you could think about helping your orphan Muslim sisters (because if we don't have Muslim families, or have menfolk who care enough to help us... are we not orphans?). Perhaps you could offer to be a genuine wali for a woman in your community, and help her through the difficult process of seeking a spouse?
Wali,translated to "Helper","Custodian" or "Guardian",can be women's natural father (if he is Muslim) and the last in line is the ruler(again he needs to be a Muslim).However,in cases,where there is none available,a man of good character (whom can be relied upon by the Muslim women in question) can be chosen and not "offered" as far as I know.

Links below deals with the same issue:

http://islamqa.info/en/208700
https://asqfish.wordpress.com/2008/0...ponsibilities/

Signor
06-13-2015, 05:06 PM
:sl:

Today I stumbled upon an article accidentally and was surprised to see how the problems brought here by OP are really old.Indeed,a saddening situation for which a solution needs to be figured out.Before reading,Keep in mind author is a non-Muslim(apparently),so whats stated is how he perceive things.My intention(of posting) was only to point out the dilemma being faced by Muslim women out there in Canada.

Vancouver Sun ARCHIVES
Saturday, Oct. 4, 1997
Column: Douglas Todd

The murder this week by Muslim fundamentalists of 11 women in Algeria who refused to wear veils was another shocking example of how the struggle between religious fundamentalism and gender equality can play out in some authoritarian Islamic countries.

The consequences for Muslim women in Canada who choose not to adhere to the strict tenets of their faith are less severe, certainly less violent, but they still exist, especially when the issue is marriage.

Like tens of thousands of Canadian Muslims, Amina Ali is tormented by her religion’s marriage rules. Islam, now the second largest religion in Canada, teaches that it is sinful for Muslim women, but not Muslim men, to marry outside the faith.

The 36-year-old Indonesian-born Ali loves her Canadian-born husband – but they argue about religion all the time. And in her more fiery moments, Ali admits, she has told her husband she never would have married him if she knew he wasn’t going to seriously try to practise Islam.

Ali and another Muslim woman, Tannis (a pseudonym), agreed to talk about the Muslim marriage double-bind in a Victoria apartment, while their children played in the background.

Barefoot in a green polka-dot dress, Ali is a vivacious, naturally outgoing person. She moved to the Vancouver Island city after marrying her geologist husband, Retno Buckley, while he was working in Indonesia.

Her spirited personality helps explain why she has become one of the rare Muslim women, even in Canada, willing to speak about the marriage pressure her religion creates on women.

“I feel I have to tell the truth now. My husband says, `Tell the truth.’ But sometimes it’s so hard for me.”

Muslim women face conflict with their religion, families and Canada’s multicultural ethos because of this devastating formula:
1. Islam expects all Muslims to marry.
2. Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslim men.
3. Muslim men can (and do) marry non-Muslim women.
4. Therefore, there is a shortage of unmarried Muslim men. That means many Muslim women don’t marry at all, which is against the teachings of their religion. Or they marry non-Muslim men, which Islam judges a grave sin.

Professor Yvonne Haddad, a prominent Islamic scholar at the University of Massachussets, says that Canadian census figures, which are far more detailed than U.S. census data, reveal the extent of the marriage threat to North America’s roughly two million Muslim women.

Statistics Canada census data shows that roughly 30 per cent of Canadian Muslim women marry non-Muslim men, says Haddad.

About half of those women marry non-Muslim men who either convert or, like Ali’s husband, suggest to mosque imams they intend to, but don’t follow through, Haddad says.

The other half marry non-Muslim men, and live with the consequences.

“That means 15 per cent of Canadian Muslim women, and probably a higher percentage in the U.S., are living in sin,” says Haddad.

“In the Middle East, a woman who does that might be killed. There have been cases. People pretend it doesn’t exist, but it’s a reality.”

Women would not dare discuss the marriage bind in hard-line Muslim countries such as Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh or Afghanistan, where fundamentalists have interpreted Islamic teaching to mean single Muslim women must be flogged if found alone alone with a man, a raped woman is unfit for marriage and female writers must face death threats for saying religious laws don’t give women full rights.

In Canada, the U.S. and Europe, the repercussions for women who marry non-Muslims are less brutal than in many Muslim countries, but they’re still serious. They include stigma, shame, anger and often separation from the extended family.

Tannis says she worries she may have offended Allah by marrying a non-Muslim.

The anguish and uncertainty of the marriage double-bind for the East African-raised Tannis is even stronger than it has been for Ali. Tannis wedded a non-Muslim Canadian in 1992. The marriage is barely working out.

“I remember God telling me: `Don’t marry a non-Muslim.’ But I did,” Tannis says, dejection crossing her broad, handsome 27-year-old face. “I was doing my best. I prayed for him to become a Muslim. But it didn’t happen because he was in a difficult time. I was feeling regret: Why did I do it?’ I was freaking out. But he’s got a good heart. I’m feeling calmer now.”

Children are the crux of the Muslim law against women marrying outside the faith. Islam teaches that Muslim identity is transferred through the father. That makes it all right for Muslim men to marry non-Muslim women, because they don’t pass on the faith.

Although other religions, such as Judaism and Catholicism, also tend to frown on intermarriage, the stigma against it in North America is not that strong. In North America, more than half of the marriages involving Catholics or Jews are intermarriages, compared to roughly one-quarter of the marriages involving Muslims.

Due to high immigration, Islam has recently surpassed Judaism to become the second-largest religion in Canada, according to Hassan Hamdani, a Muslim who is also a Statistics Canada researcher. Islam has more than 400,000 adherents in Canada (about 10 per cent of them in B.C.), while Judaism has about 360,000 adherents.

But Canada’s Muslim population remains a small fraction of the world’s 1.2-billion Muslims – who range from a minority who emphasize individual liberty, including freedom of religious practice, to the large majority who more rigorously adhere to sharia, or Muslim law.

Simon Fraser University Islamic history professor William Cleveland says it would be hard to find an immigrant Muslim woman from the Middle East who would marry a non-Muslim. The only Muslims in Canada who would dare intermarry are Canadian-born or from countries, including some in Asia and Africa, that interpret Muslim doctrine less absolutely.

Alexandra Bain, who teaches Islamic art at the University of Victoria, says the pressure to marry a Muslim man creates an additional danger for Muslim women in Canada. Desperate for a Muslim man to marry, they look offshore for husbands. That leaves them vulnerable to being taken advantage of by men who marry only to gain landed-immigrant status, says Bain, a Canadian of French descent who converted to Islam when she was a teenager

Bain says her marriage to a Muslim man from Eritrea ended up on the rocks – not necessarily because of immigration issues, but because he was too bound by his culture’s strict interpretation of Islamic law, including those regarding women.

“I love the religion with all my heart, but I don’t like that the women don’t have choice,” Bain says.

Most of the Muslims who have immigrated to Canada in the past decade are ultra-orthodox, says Bain. The newcomers are making things hard for the relatively tiny number of Canadian-born Muslims, many of whom have become more open to intermarriage. The new ultra-orthodox immigrants, Bain is finding, are dominating Canadian mosques and clamping down on any moves toward greater freedom.

While the Muslim women sip tea and watch their children play on the patio, Tannis listens to Ali talking about how her parents in Indonesia don’t yet know that her husband has not bothered to follow Muslim practice since they moved to Canada seven years ago.

To get married, Ali’s husband had to recite the shahada – “There is no God but God” and “Mohammed is the Messenger of God” – an act that is considered the essence and beginning of being a Muslim.

But, as with many men who make gestures of converting to Islam at the time of their marriage, the commitment of Ali’s husband to Islam did not last. Muslim community members are now constantly asking Ali why her husband does not attend mosque.

“I have had to cover for him all the time.” Ali believes they are judging her. And she realizes it will get worse when her story appears in print. But Ali is not too fretful because she knows her husband has faith in God. And she believes only God, on Judgment Day, can truly know what is in a person’s heart.

Despite the evidence, official Muslim representatives deny that many Muslim women struggle in a marriage quagmire.

Sister Zuleika Hussein, official women’s representative at the Sunni Muslim mosque in Richmond, claims she doesn’t know of any Muslim woman in Greater Vancouver who has married outside the faith. “It’s a serious sin,” she says.

Hussein, an immigrant from British Guyana, admits she knows of Muslim women who fall in love with non-Muslim men. But she insists the men always convert and turn into devout Muslims.

Hussein says the different marriage rules for Muslim men and women come out of the Koran. Koran 2.21 says Muslim men and women cannot marry non-Muslims. Koran 5.5 , however, adapts the rule to say it is lawful for Muslim men to marry virtuous Christian or Jewish women. Since the Koran is silent on whether women get the same privilege, Muslim sharia has declared women do not.

Fehmida Khan, president of the Canadian Muslim Women’s Association, explains that Muslim imams and other religious officials won’t talk to non-Muslims about difficulties followers have with marriage.

“They’re only there to give the rules and regulations,” says Khan, an India-born businesswoman living in Ontario who calls herself a Muslim community leader, as opposed to religious leader.

There is a lot of heartache if a Muslim woman marries a non-Muslim,” Khan said.

The family will want to keep it quiet. They won’t take the same pleasure as they would in a religious marriage. Some grandparents might start by saying, `I’m never going to see my daughter or grandchild.”’

Khan, despite her willingness to admit to problems in Muslim culture, acknowledges she is caught between Muslim tradition and Canadian multicultural attitudes that are open to intermarriage.

But she still opposes it. Her grown children aren’t married. And she frets about who they may hook up with. She is trying hard not to interfere.
At least, Khan says, Muslims won’t excommunicate a woman who marries outside the faith. So there is always a chance for reconciliation.

“I know people who have married non-Muslims and the family has rallied after several years when they realize they are losing out on the children.”
One of the main reasons Khan continues to oppose intermarriage is her conviction that a Muslim marriage is much more likely to overcome domestic troubles.

Tannis, despite defending her decision to marry a non-Muslim, acknowledges that stresses increase when children don’t have a Muslim religious upbringing. When she sees aimless street kids in Vancouver, Tannis prays that her children won’t end up like them. “I want them to get away from that through religion.”

As for Ali, she still feels she and her husband can make a go of it, despite their disagreements over religion. But she also feels blessed that her children have been given the ultimate escape hatch from the marriage predicament facing Muslim women.

She’s very happy her children are both boys.

“I was so scared they’d be girls.”

In Canada, foreign-born Muslims are much more opposed to intermarriage than Canadian-born Muslims – and they make up the vast majority of Muslims in Canada.

Only about four per cent of foreign-born Muslim women in Canada will intermarry, says Hassan Hamdani, a Muslim researcher who studies Muslim demographics through his job with Statistics Canada in Ottawa.

But evidence of second-generation Muslims embracing Canadians’ openness to intermarriage is strong, Hamdani says. Almost 40 per cent of Canadian-born Muslim families consist of a Muslim wife and non-Muslim husband.

Regardless of whether one opposes intermarriage or approves of it, there is substance to Muslim leaders’ fears that children raised in an intermarried family could be lost to the Islamic fold.

Roughly 77 per cent of Canadian children raised by a Muslim mother and non-Muslim father do not count themselves Muslim (the Muslim drop-out rate is 60 per cent of children raised by a Muslim father and non-Muslim mother).

By contrast, when both Canadian parents are Muslims, Hamdani’s study suggests 99 per cent of their children maintain a commitment to the religion.

Source

MuslimInshallah
06-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Waalikum Assalaam

Wali,translated to "Helper","Custodian" or "Guardian",can be women's natural father (if he is Muslim) and the last in line is the ruler(again he needs to be a Muslim).However,in cases,where there is none available,a man of good character (whom can be relied upon by the Muslim women in question) can be chosen and not "offered" as far as I know.

Links below deals with the same issue:

http://islamqa.info/en/208700
https://asqfish.wordpress.com/2008/0...ponsibilities/

Assalaamu alaikum Signor,

Yes, I've read about who the Wali is supposed to be. However… realistically, it is almost impossible to find anyone who will look after a woman's interests. Basically, all the imams are prepared to do is sign the papers handing you over to a complete stranger. They don't look into a man's character or read the nikkah, or anything. And mosque directors… I've never heard of any mosque director doing any such thing. And generally, you don't know who the mosque administrators are, anyway.

One reason I've suggested that men offer their services, is because women may not even know they need a Wali. I know that for my first marriage, no such thing was mentioned to me. I was made to sign some papers in front of an imam and two strangers called from amongst the brothers. No one advised me about anything. No mention was made of a Wali.

So Muslim women new to the faith, or those raised with almost no knowledge of the faith, may not even know that they need to ask for a Wali.

Secondly, even if a woman is aware of her rights and would like a man to help her as her Wali, she may not know any men to ask. For example, I had almost no interactions with Muslim men over most of my life. Who, then, could I ask? I finally tried asking three different imams. They said "Yes, sister"… and did nothing.

So this is why I think Muslim men could offer their help (rather than waiting to be asked). Really, I understand the imams… they are really very busy. But perhaps there are some kindly (older, happily married…?) gentlemen who could tell the imams that they could help their Muslim sisters out? The imams could do a police and background check on just these men, and then refer all Muslim ladies in need of a Wali to consult with one of these brothers.

(smile) Well, this is an idea. But if anyone has others, please add your two cents! Perhaps together we can find ways to help protect vulnerable Muslim women. (smile) And this could help shy and decent Muslim brothers in places like Canada find wives, too, I think. (smile) And good, strong marriages help build a good, strong community.

May Allah, the Expediter, Help us to help one another… for His Sake.

Lisa921
06-14-2015, 01:51 AM
Assalamu alaykum
I don't know why our ummah both men and women are in such a hurry to marry. I know its sunnah to marry young but that was during the time of the sahabah when the realities of survival were not as harsh as they are today. Today youth have to get an education first before having a baby. Its hard to prevent babies since there is not 100% method of stopping pregnancy, if its going to happen its going to happen. What we need to do is educate our youth on abstinence and patience! Not just assume its easy to understand this concept. it has responsabilities and takes practise to achieve it.
So many muslims think oh i'll get marred young and just go on the pill/put her on the pill. that is not that simple. we need sex education to know our options and the responsibility of marriage and sexual relations after marriage. Maybe if the youth fully understood the realities of sex after marriage they wouldn't be so angsty to marry. subhana allah.
Sex education does not promote promiscuiality as some presume. I was educated on sex at 13 and I never did it until age 27 when I was married! That's because the class taught me the realities of that choice and it was choice to make after marriage (Which was taught in my family and faith).
BUt I know that sex education in muslim countries is severely lacking...I know this just from the serious ignorance I have heard regarding sexual relations coming from certain immigrants in certain countries.
PLEASE teach our youth the options and reality of marriage and babies and I guarantee they will be patient more!!
lol

ardianto
06-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Islam teaches that Muslim identity is transferred through the father. That makes it all right for Muslim men to marry non-Muslim women, because they don’t pass on the faith.
Islam does not teach that identity is transferred only through the father because in Islamic concept, a child is descendant of both parties, father and mother.

But in Arab culture, identity is indeed, transferred only through the father. That's why Arab man is allowed to marry non-Arab woman because his child is still Arab. But Arab woman is not allowed to marry non-Arab man because her child no longer Arab. The conception in quoted post above is based on Arab culture, not Islam.

Some people say that in customs, Islam has mixed with culture. I have done a research about it and I found it's true.

keiv
06-14-2015, 06:37 PM
This might be slightly off track, but this thread reminded of this one scenario in a movie. I don't know how familiar you all are with the movie "The Godfather", but to me, Michael's approach to his first marriage looked like the ideal approach to getting married from an Islamic point of view, imo.

Basically he fled to Sicily to lay low and was attracted to this lady he saw walking around but continued to move on without interacting with her. He (by accident) met her dad and asked for his permission to marry her without even knowing her. The father accepted, but before they got married, Michael and this lady met up a few times walked/talked and had a get together with her family all while being supervised by the family. Eventually they got married and then of course the rest of the movie plays out.

They were Christians, but does that not sound like the ideal approach to get married from an Islamic standpoint? Is it really that simple? Have times changed to where that is no longer the accepted approach and where material, money, and status is the ultimate representation of a suitor?

Signor
07-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Predators, gold diggers and players - Warning signs your prospective spouse is a fake!

Despite many success stories both offline and online, the number of casualties falling victim to marriage bandits is rising every year.Whether this is due to the ‘Halo effect’, blind innocence or not doing your research, the effects can be both devastating and demoralising for the victims and their families that have been targeted.In this article we will teach you how to ‘check yourself before you wreck yourself’ by disclosing the common techniques that predators, gold diggers and players use to locate and trick their victims.By educating you on how to spot the signs of a non genuine prospective spouse, you can ultimately avoid the inevitable heartache, pain and humiliation that such a person would bring into your life –remember, forewarned is forearmed.

The saying, “There are plenty of fish in the sea” may be true but it is only half of the story. If we use this analogy further we’ll find that there are more than just one type of ‘fish’, some of which are highly dangerous and whose sole purpose is to take advantage of innocent people. We can classify these dangerous prospective spouses into the following:

• THE PREDATOR: Extremely dangerous and highly manipulative, often have an ulterior motive
  • THE GOLD DIGGER: Will marry just for money, outright scammers for citizenship
  • THE PLAYER: Casts the spell of affection and sympathy. A well loved sociopath.

By breaking down their behaviour we can analyse their strategies and learn the tell tale signs to look out for in order to protect ourselves

THE PREDATOR
  • Like the most feared creature in all the seas –the shark–predators are ruthless, smart and always on the lookout for new prey
  • They are well experienced –their victims are by choice, not chance. They often target the most vulnerable individuals of society and always do their research before ‘going in for the kill’
  • They are highly controlling and manipulative in nature and work to isolate you from your family and friends whilst lulling you into a false sense of security
  • They are relentless and persistent in their actions, knowing that if you are lonely or isolated they will eventually be able to gain your trust and be successful in their mission.
  • Like stalkers, they are able to collect information about you –including what you told them without realising. This enables them to find your weaknesses and use them against you by telling you exactly what you need to hear

THE PREDATOR:A Case Study
You meet this so called practising brother who is married to another woman you know. He uses typical Muslim clichés like 'Marry me so I don't have to lower my gaze every time I see you’. He showers you with love and support when you feel low or lonely and persuades you no matter how much you object. He plays mind games and makes you think you are losing a blessing by not accepting him. He separates you from those that you could rely on for help.

He asks you to meet him in a public place which soon become the most secluded of private places. Things ‘just happen’ until you feel there is no turning back. He hides your marriage and uses various excuses for it. Once married he uses you to his own purpose and won’t give you your rights or his attention. Having made you give up your family and friends, you are now left completely on your own with no one to turn to.

Precautions

• As mentioned in previous artilces prevention is better than cure – keep your relationships with other people halal by maintaining boundaries.
  • Don’t share personal information in the early stages and neverreveal details about yourself than can be used against you (secrets, photos etc) –it is not appropriate to share them before marriage anyway
  • Predators won’t attack a woman who is protected by her mahram or wali so make sure that they are involved in the process as that is what they are there for –never agree to meet them alone, even in a public place
  • If you suspect you are in trouble or your prospective spouse is moving too quickly without all the protective checks then run!
  • Predators show extreme characteristics –either isolate you or get too friendly with those you love, making everyone believe they are good
  • Be on your guard and don’t easily trust anyone no matter how smart you think you are -Focus more on actions than on words, don’t fall for sweet talk

THE GOLD DIGGER

• There is a narrow but important difference between a gold digger and someone who values your role as a ‘provider’
  • The gold digger would deride and perhaps leave you if you lost your ability to provide for them financially
  • ‘All that glitters is not gold’ –the gold digger may try to impress with their own ‘wealth’ to attract wealthy spouses, but it can easily be fake jewellery, rented cars or stolen gadgets.
  • Conversations mostly revolve around money, lifestyle and materialism. They may demand unreasonable mahrsor pre- marital contracts
  • Gold diggers are usually considered women but can apply to men in other circumstances such as getting a visa, asking for money to help with a ‘difficult situation’, wanting the wife to work instead etc
  • Gold diggers have definite goals: Some want money or lifestyle while others want citizenship –they will use their physical appearance or charm in order to get what they want

THE GOLD DIGGER:A Case Study
Your prospective wife is the most beautiful person you’ve seen. You correspond with her for a while and are growing to like her a lot. At some point she tells you that you are the love of her life, and she is dying to meet you in person. Money is the only problem. So, could you please send her some cash to help her pay for the tickets/visa/passport?

Such a request when money is involved should immediately put a man on his guard. It often catches him off guard instead. Why? Because he feels like he has known this woman forever when in fact he has not. He sure is convinced this woman is completely innocent. She is just really desperate and needs his help. He being a gentleman, wants to rescue his future wife out of any distress! It’s the least he can do for her, right?

Precautions

• Never share your bank details or trust anyone with any amount of money, especially strangers
  • Gold diggers are lazy and want money without earning it –so analyse the questions you are being asked no matter how innocuous they seem (eg“Do you mind work after marriage?”)
  • They will burn through not only your money but time and energy as well
  • The gold digger doesn’t stop with mahror dowry but has long term goals –they are people dying to cash in on men's feelings or women’s weaknesses Never pay for the visa of a prospective spouse coming from abroad –this is THEIR responsibility and they may weave many tales of why they can’t afford it
  • Sisters in particular –if a man is asking you to pay for his airfare or visa etcthen be careful NEVER to help him in this regard financially

THE PLAYER:
  • Players are experienced liars and master manipulators. They know what they want and know exactly how to get it.
  • They are serial offenders –there’s no such thing as ‘the one’ for them, and despite what you believe you won’t be able to ‘change them’
  • Their tactics include: finding victims based on their vulnerability, innocence or foolishness; charming and sweet talking you; lying to gain sympathy or make an impression; spreading false information about themselves online and making you feel special
  • They are also very good at making you feel like the guilty party – they have self-inflated egos and so do not take rejection well
  • They either do not care about Islamic etiquette or boundaries and will think nothing of flirting and being alone with you, or their practising appearance will give them the impression of maintaining boundaries whilst they simultaneously break them down
  • Players never have long term goals. For them ‘the chase is better than the catch’ so they’ll be quick to dispose of you once you have served their purpose.

THE PLAYER:A Case Study
Your prospective spouse is handsome and friendly. You spoke very little with him but he requested your number because he’s moving or his online membership is soon expiring. You are flattered, and so agree. The next day he is texting and calling repeatedly, wanting to meet up ASAP because he really likes you. Curious, you research him online only to find out he is perfect. He is very Islamic and doesn't have girlfriends. You quickly come to a conclusion that he is the best man you could ever have and give him the chance to meet you in person or share photos that he desperately needs.

After you give in, you notice fewer calls and late or no responses. The tides have turned and you spend so much time, energy and money to get him to talk to you. You are hurt and upset and begin to realize that you never knew much about him and when you start to check out the things he told you none of it really seems to stand up.

Precautions
Don’t judge a book by its cover –they can look religious, but if they are flirtatious or ask to meet up alone, they are not as pious as they are making out to be. In case of online searches, don’t take conversations off the website. These players want to avoid leaving a trail that could easily be detected and give their game away.Most predators/players do NOT look scary. In fact they are handsome, charismatic, charming and feign piety
They quote hadiths or scholars to rationalise their misguided thinking and to manipulate you into thinking their way, but they rarely provide solid daleel/proof. Any religious knowledge they give is always self-serving and to help them meet their needs –including the quotation of weak or fabricated hadith.

Other Tactics

• Getting married with the intention of divorce (a temporary marriage or mut’ah) is an invalid marriage, because mut’ah is haram by consensus.
  • Virtual or phone marriages are yet another trap by predators –allows them to marry and divorce women countless times, sometimes for a few hours or days, with virtually no physical trail or evidence
  • They can hide marriage/divorce records from the community and continue posing as upright individuals
  • Appearances are often deceiving –some may have the beard/hijab and a ‘Deen comes first’ profile but their behaviour will contradict this

Who Are They Prey?

1. Those that are vulnerable or easy to fool are usually:
  2. Those without family and/or a network of friends
  3. Widows/widowers, reverts, orphans
  4. Those with low self-esteem and confidence
  5. Divorced women with and without children
  6. Men with strong desires or low self-esteem
  7. Foreign students or workers
  8. Ones who are attracted towards external appearances or supercial traits
  9. Those with weak emaan and weak self-control

HOW TO GET RID OF THEM?

• Don’t warn or threaten them directly –it can aggravate them and give them ammunition
  • Don’t suffer in silence –talk to your family, wali or organisations that can help
  • Inform the local authorities or your local imam
  • Take back control by refusing to take the bait – stop interacting with them, which is more effective than trying to reason with them
  • Block their calls/messages and CUT THEM OFF including blocking them on social media
  • If your spouse is the predator –seek counsel and don’t just ‘shut up and put up’

PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE

• Involve wali at all times even if you are in the conversation stage –Allah SWT has created them for your protection
  • The best way to not get emotionally involved is to keep conversations halal and in presence of wali/third person
  • Do your istikhara sincerely AND be content with Allah’s decree
  • Do your research –get character references from their place of work, ask the local imams, do a Google search –you’ll be surprised how much this can reveal
  • Listen to your instincts –if something about them doesn’t feel right, investigate the matter
  • Remember, if a person is genuine, they will meet the family, if not, they will make excuses to meet you on your own
  • Your personal matters are exactly that –personal. Keep them to yourself
  • Social media sharing is a fitnah–what you post online can be shared around the world in minutes –even if you take things down, you never know who has taken your pictures and manipulated them
  • Easy for an experienced stalker to find out your exact location from the GPS setting on your phone –so TURN OFF GPS settings or location setting on your smartphone
  • Never EVER get into a conversation with a non- mahram on Facebook or anywhere else for no reason since this opens the doors to fitnah

Conclusion
So long as there will be vulnerable or irresponsible people in the world, there will always be opportunities for players, gold diggers and predators .A little common sense, research and shrewd behaviour can go a long way to protect yourself from fake prospective spouses.A man respects a woman who requires effort to marry –in other words a woman who is protected by her mahram/wali.Prevention is better than cure, however we shouldn’t let fake prospective spouses ruin our chances of find the right one –most people are genuine.If outward appearance sways you easily, and you are naturally open and talkative, chances are you could be the next victim.Discuss concerns with wise adults –involve guardians in each step.Do not waste your feelings, sympathy, and money on scammers. Save it all for someone who truly deserves it.Perform Istikara without inner desires and Allah SWT will guide you

Source

ardianto
07-11-2015, 06:07 PM
There is a narrow but important difference between a gold digger and someone who values your role as a ‘provider’
In my place there are men who called cowok kedul (lazy guy), and there are men who called cowok matre (materialistic guy). Cowok kedul is a man who lazy to work and prefer to make his wife as provider of the family needs. Men like this usually come from poor family, or at least lower-middle class. The cause of this behavior is their bad mentality.

But cowok matre is different. They are not lazy, even they work and have their own income, but desire of luxury life makes them become men like this. Usually they come from middle class, educated, and smart. They are not always physically handsome, but indeed, charismatic. This is why they can easily get a trust from a woman who become his 'gold mine'.

Basically cowok matre is hedonist playboy who take money from a rich woman to support his luxury life style, and then having fun with other women. I know it because I know personally with few men like this.

seagulls
07-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) I'm going to make a controversial statement. And then I'm going to give a little context to it. I'm hoping to open a useful discussion that may help Muslims who would like to marry. (smile) Please feel free to add your perspectives and comments.

If you're wanting to get married and you live in a country like mine (Canada), it is best to start talking to Muslims of the opposite sex that are around you. Much is said about no free-mixing between men and women, but I feel that this is not reasonable for unmarried Muslims in a society such as mine. In my country (and in quite a few others), Muslims mix with non-Muslims all the time. This may well end in Muslims marrying non-Muslims. Men feel especially free to do this, and Muslim women then face the choice of not marrying, marrying a non-Muslim man, or getting into highly risky overseas marriages.

Furthermore, the local Muslim population is drawn from around the world, and is very mobile. This means that ethnic and cultural divides can be quite large, and people often don't know each other very well. There are also new Muslims, not just many-generation Canadians, but all Canadians, including originally non-Muslim immigrants from other countries. There are many people, but little cohesive community.

In this context, it is difficult for an unmarried Muslim to find a spouse. It is also quasi-impossible to find a Wali (a real one; not just someone who turns up to your Nikkah to sign you over to a stranger), unless you have family members who are willing and able to do this for you.

You can try to ask an Imam or people around you to help connect you to a spouse in your own community. It may work, especially if you are young and attractive (for a woman) or well-placed (for a man). I would still advocate that you get to know this person by meeting them yourself and getting to know them; they are rarely well-known by the Imam or the people who recommend them. And you probably don't know the Imam or the people who are recommending the person well, either.

In this context, a person wishing to marry (especially a woman), must take the time and make the effort to get to know the other person well, and be very careful not to trust the other person and get emotionally attached before that person has proved him (or her)self.

(smile) To make my text lighter, I'm going to continue writing from a woman's perspective. However, quite a bit of what I will say will probably be a good idea for a man, too.

Meet in public, or with your friends present. If you have supportive family members who are willing and able to help you (no matter what their religious affiliation), don't be shy to draw on their help. If you have no family, try drawing on friends, especially married friends, or older people. Try to meet his colleagues at work, his friends, neighbours (if you can talk with them without his knowledge, this is best), professors, relatives (if he has any in your country)... anyone who can give you an insight into his character. Look also at the way he behaves with those around him. Don't take his word for it. Watch carefully for what he actually does. How does he treat service people (waiters, cleaners, bus drivers...), strangers who ask for directions, his friends, his relatives... you... For instance, is he courteous? Is he on time? Does he keep his word? Does he pay for meals you may have together (not just one or two, I mean consistently)? Does he give you thoughtful gifts? Does he remember things that are important for you? Some warning flags are: if you find yourself feeling guilty, sorry for him, feeling hurt a lot, if you find yourself making excuses for him to other people, or find yourself paying for things (after some ingenious excuse or another on his part). It would also be wise to verify his identity (and have his documents checked by someone knowledgeable) and check with the police in your country if he has any record with them. A medical exam would be prudent.

I very much wish that there was a better and safer way for people (especially women) to find a husband. But right now, I feel that this is the safest way to go.

Women should be very wary of men who only want an Islamic marriage. This is a good indicator that the man is only looking for his own short-term gain; he very probably does not want to be obligated to you in any way. It generally indicates that he does not consider you as his real wife. He sees you as a mistress. Or worse. Are there exceptions to this? Yes, of course. But rarely.

A legal marriage is not a guarantee of his good intentions, but it helps. Men who stand to gain by a legal marriage may do this, even if their intentions are not honourable. For instance, if it helps his residency or immigration claim, or if a woman has an income or property that he could make a claim to in the event of a divorce (under the law of the country you reside in; these men care little for Islamic law, unless they can use it to their advantage).

Still, if you marry someone in your own country, you are safer than if you marry a stranger from overseas; at least you know your country's rules better, and have some sort of social support network.

If someone recommends you someone from overseas, you are going to have to be even more wary. Tell them upfront that you expect a full set of documents from them (and acquire them early in the acquaintance): at least all the documents that the immigration department of your country would require: medical checks, identity documents, financial statements, police checks... incidentally, you may need to ask for a more complete medical than the one your country requires. For example, in Canada, only certain diseases are looked for. A more thorough screening for sexual and other transmissible diseases would be very wise. If you have to sponsor him into your country, I would strongly recommend that a woman gets her prospective husband to put money into a legal trust that she would gain access to if he leaves her to go onto welfare (this is a real risk in my country; sponsors are obligated to pay for those they sponsor), or for any other financial loss that her particular situation may place her in. Legal documents to protect a woman's property are also prudent.

Finally, many people feel obliged to go onto the internet to look for a spouse. And this is the most dangerous route of all. You know nothing about these people (except what they tell you), the internet is a very intimate setting, there are professional financial scammers, and you are exposed to a wide range of corrupt (and corrupting) persons of the worst degree, such as online rapists (they like to send messages detailing what they'd like to do to you), seducers, immigration scammers, and organized criminals.

(smile) My text is a little biased, I know. I have experience and know stories from the woman's side, but I do not know much about the men's side, though I know that there are those who scam men, too. I'm hoping that other members can post about men's experiences. And also, if the brothers have knowledge of ways that men con women, that they may post them to help their Muslim sisters know what to look for, and how to deal with these deceptions. I feel that Muslim men and women need to talk with one another more so that we can better understand the challenges that the other faces. In this fractured world of ours today, I believe that we need to try to connect with one another and try to help one another.

May Allah, the Distressor and the Source of Good, Help us to find benefit in the difficulties that we face.
And men should be aware of women who want to register the marriage. It indicates that they want to divorce them and steal half of their money (even more in some cases)

ardianto
07-12-2015, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seagulls
And men should be aware of women who want to register the marriage. It indicates that they want to divorce them and steal half of their money (even more in some cases)
And women should be careful with a man who doesn't want to register his marriage. It indicates that this man want to secure his position which he can leave his wife anytime and free from responsibility.

seagulls
07-12-2015, 04:36 PM
And women should be careful with a man who doesn't want to register his marriage. It indicates that this man want to secure his position which he can leave his wife anytime and free from responsibility.
Which is halal. Whereas stealing someone's wealth isn't

ardianto
07-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Which is halal. Whereas stealing someone's wealth isn't
Whoever teach you that if a woman want to register her marriage it's means she want to steal her husband wealth, indicate that they have lack of knowledge about women behavior and too affected by Hollywood movies.

In reality, the woman who just want to steal a man’s wealth then go, prefer to be a mistress. She seduces this man to give her many things, then she leave this man and start seduce another rich man. Her status as legitimate wife will make her harder because the rich man must be has done anticipation before he marries a woman. The rich men are not dumb, bro. That's why they are rich.

Brother, you should not generalize all women are like this, all women are like that. Not every woman who marries rich man marries him because his wealth. There are many poor women who marry rich men because love.

I've ever married for almost 19 years until Allah called my beloved wife return to Him. Now I am widower. I and my late wife came from different social status. I was from upper-middle class family, lived in the big house and had two personal cars when I met her. While she was from poor family, lived in slum area, in very small house that had only two small bedrooms for ten people. But she never demanded expensive stuffs although as a wife she had a right to request anything from me.

Learn to respect women, bro. If you can respect women, then women will respect you too.

seagulls
07-12-2015, 08:54 PM
If u take someone wealth without permission then that is stealing.

seagulls
07-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Just because I don't want someone to steal my wealth doesn't mean I don't respect women

ardianto
07-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Just because I don't want someone to steal my wealth doesn't mean I don't respect women
A woman doesn't need to marry you if she just want to steal your wealth. She can cheat you through investment fraud or other kind of crimes.

Do you respect women?. If you still have prejudice toward women, it's means you haven't had respect on women.

seagulls
07-12-2015, 09:39 PM
A woman doesn't need to marry you if she just want to steal your wealth. She can cheat you through investment fraud or other kind of crimes.

Do you respect women?. If you still have prejudice toward women, it's means you haven't had respect on women.
Yeh but its easier getting married. In Islam one should tie their camel,nothing to do with prejudice

seagulls
07-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Also bro,one thing is respecting women and and another is respecting islam

Banu_Hashim
07-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Salam Alaikum all,

It's been a while since I've been here but wow, what an interesting discussion. And I feel it acutely, being a Muslim, in the west at an age where I'd obviously like to get married... but as the original poster said it is incredibly hard to do this! Which is strange because there are many muslim men and women of marriable age but both groups are finding it difficult to get hitched.

I think (forgive the cliche) but there needs to be a balance... between avoiding all gender interaction to the point where you see a muslim female walking towards you, and you do a 180 and walk away from your destination(!) and flirting with the opposite gender with no end in site. Of course a sense of propriety needs to be there always with the goal in mind of an Islamic marriage because we areMuslims regardless of the context we live.

Now with that being said... I feel like Muslim males (minus the players and manipulators) have close to 0%, and this includes my myself, in interacting with Muslim females. And so many factors come into play with Muslim young men not approaching Muslim females... a chief reason being fear of rejection and a lack of understanding of women in general. If you've lacked a meaningful conversation with a female in 20 odd years it's very hard to do so out of the blue.

What I've experienced is that Muslim young men my age find it much much more easy to talk to a non-Muslim female than they find it talking to muslim female, because in their mind a muslim female is this kind of figure that shouldn't be talked to or sometimes not even acknowledged(!), and this creates a barrier somewhat. And I'm not saying this is because of the hijab - far from it. It's the muslim rules of gender interaction not quite translating into the muslim western context.

Parents need to be open and enthusiastic (but not pushy) about their children getting married. And not to make it a subject of embarassment! I think this is a problem with immigrant communities. Marriage and sex is not talked about but it's so needed, particularly in the west. Parents need to say to their son (or daughter)... "Son, when you like a girl and think she might be the one... let me know and we'll help you". This almost never happens!! And communities and Imams need to be much more involved in this as well and get to know the people that come to their masajid. As an Imam to know your community is one of you roles and responsibilites. In some communities here int he UK, the Imam can't even speak english which isn't great.

It's a problem that isn't going to go away over night, but the fact that we, inshaAllah, muslims with the aim of pleasing Allah, are discussing this online is a great start and hopefully we can take these discussions that we are having now online back to our communities where we live.

JazaakamuAllahu khayran,

Fee Amaanillah.

Signor
07-29-2015, 06:11 PM
The New Muslim Trap: Why Converts Must Exercise Caution in Marriage
Written by Michelle Yeung

For the vast majority of converts I know, their embracing of Islam happened between the ages of 18 – 26. There’s something about those several years after one finishes high school and one moves out of their parent’s home, that finally forces them, to think. There’s also something else that people of that age often have in common; they feel a strong need to settle with a life partner, which for a Muslim, means marriage.

I don’t have an opinion on whether converts should look to marry immediately, or wait, that probably depends on their own circumstances. However, I would advise any new convert to exercise particular caution as to how they go about meeting a potential spouse. As I listened to one convert sister tell me her story of her own desire to marry and the challenges that faced her, this enabled me to realise some of the reasons for their particular vulnerability to becoming trapped in a difficult marriage situation.

New Converts can often be Very Vulnerable
Becoming Muslim and practicing Islam is a big life change. Not just in the actions themselves, but in the person’s entire life. New converts often find themselves distanced from their previous group of friends, and even family. All of the new things that they are reading, and being told, can be over whelming and whilst the new convert realizes they will never be truly alone, the first couple of years can at the same time be horribly lonely.

“I’d sometimes cry myself to sleep at night, because I felt very lonely. I felt closer to Allah at those times and it felt good, and yet I would have loved to have had another person there with me, seeing me through day by day. I had a small group of friends, but they all had their own husbands and children and I felt like I had nobody. I felt that my best option was marriage.”

Lack of Protective Forces, Such as Muslim Family and a Community
The sad truth is, some people do seem to take advantage of this situation. When both parties are Muslim, the families would meet and the woman’s guardian would approve the marriage. For converts, the process is often quite different, and they may be left making key life decisions such as marriage on their own.

“I was never really a part of any Muslim community. I had a few friends, but we weren’t so close that I would tell them everything. I just didn’t feel like a belonged anywhere, I felt distanced from my family, and I didn’t exactly fit with my local Muslim community. This made me want to focus just on me, on doing my own thing, my own way. I didn’t value the community in the way that I should have done, or I do now. I guess I was a rebel, always wanting to remain independent. So when it came to meeting somebody, I didn’t tell people, I didn’t want their advice, I just wanted to do things my way and he also convinced me that this was the best thing to do in my situation”.

Looking for a Fast Way to Reach God, Through a Spouse
Muslims believe that marriage in itself is a good, beneficial thing. The Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said that marriage is half of the religion. New converts seem to have a tendency to want to carryout every single thing that is deemed good, straight away, and marriage is one of these actions.

“I didn’t know it then, but yes, I was looking for a fast way to reach Allah. I thought that if I could get married, to someone really good, then I’d quickly become just like them in that respect. I thought I’d be whisked off overseas by him and transformed into this great Muslim woman. I didn’t know that he had no intention to ever take me with him.”

Can be a Little Naive
It’s natural to see the good in all people, but it can sometimes be more challenging for new Muslims to distinguish true good character from mere actions. New Muslims often seem to be very easily impressed by other Muslims, just based on a few things the person says or does. For example, a brand new Muslim sister may find it very difficult to cover her hair immediately, and could then begin to hold the Muslim women who do, in exaggerated esteem.

“I wasn’t so naive as to think anyone who was Muslim could be trusted. But I suppose I must have thought that anyone who talked in an impressive way would also do the things they preached about. If a brother wore a thawb, talked about visiting his skaykh overseas, and was highly thought of as a community activist, who was I to think that they weren’t all that they made out to be? What did I know after all as a new convert?”.

My advice to any new convert considering marriage, would be to:

1. Tell your friends and family that you are corresponding, and involve people whom you trust
  2. Meet their family and make sure that they are fully aware of you
  3. Be extra cautious if they seem to be wanting to cut corners (e.g. not involving parents, not agreeing to a mahr, being unclear about living arrangements or financial support once married – sisters)
  4. Ask select people about their din and their character
  5. Perform the salatul istikhara, and make lots of du’a for guidance (useful article)

Source

Signor
08-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Advice to Muslim Singles

1.) Focus on one at a time. Often times we have so many choices to choose from we get overwhelmed and spend years looking for our spouses but never find them because it's so hard to choose one.

2.) Don't seek perfection. None of us are perfect; seeking someone perfect will lead you to never finding your spouse.

3.) Know what you looking for. Make a list of characteristics that appeal to you. A university study of college graduates of those who wrote down their goals vs. ones who just said their goals. The students who wrote down their goals were more likely to achieve them.

4.)Figure out how well you practice Islam. Are you very good, need guidance, or middle of the road? In reality we know there is only one way to be a Muslim. Some of us no matter how many Islamic events we attend we struggle to be the most ideal Muslim. For sisters who are new to Islam and wants to improve her practice (deen) she would do well to be with someone who is already practicing. If you practice every detail of Islam as best as you can, you will do well with seeking someone who is striving as you are. However, if you are lazy and you will know if you are lazy. You are more a Muslim by name and may seek a Muslim by name.

5.)Find out why someone got a divorce and don't be shy to tell. Listen to their reason. Dr. Phil once said, "The past is a good indicator of the future." Listen to why he left his last wife/husband. Lame reasons may indicate they are not in it for the long haul. No one especially when it's the second time around wants to find him or herself in another divorce.

6.) If you are goofy and want to goof off but you are seeking a wife. You may like to add some balance in your approach. Sisters like a funny brother but he should have leadership qualities, warmth and good practice in Islam.

7.) Does he have kids he is willing to move far from to be with you to have more kids with you? It is better to encourage him to stay near his kids. After all you would not want to have kids with and then he abandons them.

8.)Don't be too needy. Some cultures where men are raised with so many siblings and never have been alone feel they will get married at any cost just to avoid those lonely feelings.

9.) Don't talk about sexual preferences. Ultimately this will lead to haram (forbidden) actions. Most sisters have no trouble to adhere to this rule and prefer it but the brothers often times (no matter their Iman (level of faith) they will ask away about sex. The Holy Quran deals best with this issue and no matter if your crazy for sex or could care less. Never talk about sex. And brothers if you want her to respect you, never talk about sex. Don't even hint about it.

10.) Pets. Does she have pets you are allergic to? Are you willing to take medication to subside your symptoms? You can ask her to get rid of her pets but its better you do not.

11.)Are you willing to relocate? Often time's relocation can be hard for some of us and other times we are more mobile. Before you start talking to brother/sisters far away. Ask yourself are you willing to relocate for your potential spouse?

12.)Talking with overseas brothers/sisters. We all are warned about Green Card seekers who marry you and dump you when the card is their ticket to freedom. If you are a 52-year-old sister and talking to 26-year-old brother-there is something amiss. Don't be so needy that you will take anyone for the sake of love. Some will never tell you their intention. They will say all the right things to lead you to believe they are for real. They may say they do not even want to live in USA. If you lack confidence in yourself, do something for the benefit of Muslim but don't seek a marriage where you will ultimately be hurt in the end. Honesty is very important. And as Muslims we are ordered to be honest in all our dealings, but not all are honest just as there are different levels of deen that Muslims will practice.

13.)The cost and time involved to bring someone from overseas to USA is immense! You will have to have flown to see him at least 3 times to prove you have sincere intention to marry him. Then you will have to hire a lawyer to attain a Fiancé Visa. This will take minimum of six months+. You may get approval for him to come to USA but he has to get approval from his country to leave (in some cases) and this can delay things even further. Then he comes here and you marry legally (but only have three months.) If you do not marry in three months time it will be hard to get another Finance Visa. By this time you will have spent $3,000-$5,000. Often he cannot pay because he does not make that much. (Though he promises to pay you back.) It's less expensive to find your mate in your own country. Allah (swt) is the best of planners. Be polite when you are approached. To find more information Google: "Fiancé Visa."

14.)Single Muslim sisters with male children. Make sure the brother will give all your children equal respect, care and concern. Sometimes brothers will happily mention the female child and not the male child because they feel that the male child is like the father and they harbor some degree of jealousy/slight dislike for the male child. Make sure when you are speaking to a brother you like that he asks how all your kids are, not just the female child. If the brother does do this, be polite to make him aware of his behavior and he will be surprised he was behaving this way. Guys wont admit they feel that way but it happens. If they are committed to making a change it will be beneficial for all.

Source

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!