/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting while working

keiv
06-22-2015, 01:47 AM
This is the 2nd Ramadhan I had with my current job and this is the 2nd time I've skipped fasting due to my job. I attempted to fast during my first year, and health wise, it didn't work out too well. I passed out while working on a roof and was told I suffered heat stroke and was severely dehydrated. That was a pretty scary experience for me, so I never tried to fast again after that. I've been fasting the years before that, but I never had to do physical labor out in the sun either, so I'm just wondering what I should do from here.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lady A
06-22-2015, 06:56 AM
:sl:
I'm truly sorry to know you are faced by this difficulty during Ramadan. May Allah accept your efforts and grant you ease, :amin:

I can only think of a couple suggestions based on what little I know of the logistics of your work:
  • Ask for a lighter work load
  • Ask for a different shift to avoid the heat
  • Drink loads of water in non-fasting hours
  • Wear a wet white t-shirt on your head while working :)

keiv
06-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I do construction type work and the majority of my work is outside. I work around a lot of machinery so the heat from the sun plus the exhaust from the machines can be unbearable even when I'm not fasting. We don't work in shifts. You start in the morning and leave in the afternoon, sometimes evening. I hate to miss out on Ramadhan, but I don't know what else to do.

BeTheChange
06-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Asalamualykum,

Am glad you've asked the question and care about the consequences of the next life. Reading the sheikh's advice it is compulsory to fast in this situation. Make the intention to fast, but if you feel you are going to faint or the heat is so bad, that by not drinking or eating, something bad will happen to your health, then you are allowed to eat. You are allowed to eat or drink enough to prevent the harm from happening and then continue with your fast.

Also, it is important to make up for this fast later on in sha Allah.

Please read the below article.

43772: Can he break the fast because his work is too hard?

Is it permissible for those who do hard work to break the fast during Ramadaan, such as those who work in foundries and factories and do other kinds of hard work?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Some scholars have issued fatwas saying that it is permissible for these people not to fast. I sent the fatwa to Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Muhammad ibn Humayd and Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on them) for their comments on it and they said:

The basic principle is that it is obligatory to fast Ramadaan, and to form the intention to fast from the night before, for all adult Muslims, who should start the day fasting, except for those to whom the Lawgiver has granted a concession, who are allowed not to fast – namely the sick, travellers and those who come under those headings.
Those who do hard work come under the heading of those who are obliged to fast and they are not like the sick or travellers. They have to form the intention to observe the Ramadaan fast from the night before, and to start the day fasting. If one of them is forced to break the fast during the day, then it is permissible for him to break the fast with enough to ward off any harm, then he must refrain from eating and drinking for the rest of the day, and he has to make up that fast at the proper time. If there is no such necessity then it is obligatory to complete the fast. This is what is indicated by the shar’i evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and it is what is indicated by the words of the scholars of all madhhabs.

Those in positions of authority among the Muslims among whom are people who do hard work should examine their case when Ramadaan comes, and if possible, they should not burden them with too much work that may force them to break the fast during the day in Ramadaan, rather they should have the work done at night, or distribute work hours in a fair and just manner so that people may both work and fast.

As for the fatwa referred to, this has to do with an individual case where they issued a fatwa based on their ijtihaad for which they are to be appreciated, but they did not mention the conditions that we have mentioned or the view of the scholars of all madhhabs. We ask Allaah to help us all to do that which is good. End quote.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Muhammad ibn Humayd (may Allaah have mercy on him).
Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him).
Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 14/245

And Allaah knows best.

SOURCE:
http://islamqa.info/en/43772

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
keiv
06-22-2015, 03:38 PM
So even if I'm in a situation where I sip some what to prevent passing out and carry on with my fast afterwards, I still have to make that day up? I just want to be sure.

Signor
06-22-2015, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by keiv
This is the 2nd Ramadhan I had with my current job and this is the 2nd time I've skipped fasting due to my job. I attempted to fast during my first year, and health wise, it didn't work out too well. I passed out while working on a roof and was told I suffered heat stroke and was severely dehydrated. That was a pretty scary experience for me, so I never tried to fast again after that. I've been fasting the years before that, but I never had to do physical labor out in the sun either, so I'm just wondering what I should do from here.
Assalamu Alaikum

It is commendable that your intention is to fast despite of intense weather conditions.However,you need to know we are not scholars so matters like these are beyond our knowledge.We also need to understand,certain rulings are given while keeping the surroundings in mind which vary from place to place.This is why it is better to look for local scholars and/or Imams in matters like these.Insha Allah they will provide you with the most suitable ruling.

May Allah makes things easier for you.Aameen

AabiruSabeel
06-23-2015, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by keiv
So even if I'm in a situation where I sip some what to prevent passing out and carry on with my fast afterwards, I still have to make that day up? I just want to be sure.
Yes, you would have to make up for that day later.

I don't know how it works at your place, but usually in most of the jobs you can apply for 1 month annual vacation. You can speak with your employer and ask him whether you can plan your vacation at the time of Ramadhan so that it would be easier for you to fast.

keiv
07-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Getting more than 1 week off here is a pain, I can't imagine asking for 1 month off :exhausted.

Alhamdulillah I've been doing a lot of light work lately, so I've been fasting since. Unfortunately I missed the first couple of days, but Inshallah I can continue working like this at least until Ramadhan is over.

strivingobserver98
07-02-2015, 12:59 AM
Have you tried asking for reduced hours? I've asked mine they seem to be OK with it alhamdulilah.

Lady A
07-02-2015, 02:29 AM
Brother Keiv, That's great Alhamdulillah. I pray you persevere all of Ramadan, inshaAllah.

Keep it up!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!