/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What was the first dua or verse of the Quran you memorized?

sister herb
08-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Salam alaykum

As new muslims in general, here is a huge amount of things, words, sayings, duas etc. to memorize. No need to hurry, others say, take your time and sooner or later you will remember what you need. That´s true, I have realised during the years. My question is, to reverts, what was the first thing you memorized like dua or verse of the Quran or what ever else expression?

Mine was:

Allaahummah Rabba haadhihi’l-da’wati’l-taammah wa’-salaati’l-qaa’imah, aati Muhammadan il-waseelata wa’l-fadeelah, wab’ath-hu’l-maqaam al-mahmood alladhi wa’adtah

O Allaah, Lord of this perfect call and the prayer to be offered, grant Muhammad the privilege (of interceding) and also the eminence, and resurrect him to the praised position that You have promised

I am not sure why just these words were the first ones to me, maybe because my Arabic was weak and I wanted to remember how to say even something.

What was your the first words?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Montana
08-05-2015, 12:52 AM
Al-Fatihah was the first thing I memorized.

In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful
All praise is due to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful, Sovereign of the day of Recompense. It is You we worship and You we ask for help. Guide us to the straight path, the path of those upon whom You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked Your anger, or of those who are astray.

I’ve heard from a couple places that verses and duas should be memorized and recited in Arabic, but if you don’t speak Arabic isn’t it better to recite them in your native tongue? That way you understand the meaning of the words that you are saying. I know a few Arabic words and phrases but I’ve only memorized things in English.

shafat10
09-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Being a Student of Comparative Religion, the first verse I memorised for my Dawah purposes was Surah Shura, chapter number 42, verse number 29, where Allah speaks about life on other planets:
It is Allah who has created the heavens and earth and have scattered creatures throughout them.

As far as the first Dua or Verse of the Quran I learned for myself, being a born Muslim coming from a very practicing family, I don't really remember. Learnt at 3 or 4 years age probably, lol who knows :D. Surah Fatiha was probably the one xD.

shafat10
09-26-2015, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Montana
Al-Fatihah was the first thing I memorized.

In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful
All praise is due to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful, Sovereign of the day of Recompense. It is You we worship and You we ask for help. Guide us to the straight path, the path of those upon whom You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked Your anger, or of those who are astray.

I’ve heard from a couple places that verses and duas should be memorized and recited in Arabic, but if you don’t speak Arabic isn’t it better to recite them in your native tongue? That way you understand the meaning of the words that you are saying. I know a few Arabic words and phrases but I’ve only memorized things in English.
It's not possible to recite the Surah in other languages while in prayer or for the purpose of Dua and else.
But it's really recommend that you read the Quran with translation and know what you're reading, aka, understand the meaning of Surah Fatiha. You cannot pray in your native language, but if you read the translation and understand it, then automatically while reciting, you'll get to understand the meaning easily.
I really appreciate your effort sister. May Allah bless you :). Hope this helps.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Arjuno
10-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Surah Al Fatihah of course :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!