/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does this word mean?

new2010
08-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Assalamualaikum,

I hope I'm not annoying with my questions here in this section, but can you tell the meaning of the word
وبعد
Apparently it has several meanings, at least according to my dictionary. Can you explain me the meaning in different contexts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lady A
08-06-2015, 10:56 PM
:wa:

My guess is "And after"? Wa is and, ba'd is after. Put in a sentence it can probably take a different context.
What did your dictionary say?

EDIT: sorry read the original post wrong. The different contexts these words can be used in all depends on the sentences. I'm a student of Arabic language, and that's what I've learned so far. Feel free to post sentences if you have any and we can try to deduce the meanings from context. :sunny:

new2010
08-06-2015, 11:16 PM
There is no sentence, it's just this two words and after it a colon with a description of somebody.

Lady A
08-07-2015, 05:07 AM
oh ok. hmm...I wish I could help further but at this point I'm completely clueless also.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
new2010
08-08-2015, 05:32 PM
My dictionary gives several translations, but none of them make any sense to me.

What can this word mean yet?

soheil1
08-08-2015, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
Assalamualaikum,

I hope I'm not annoying with my questions here in this section, but can you tell the meaning of the word
وبعد
Apparently it has several meanings, at least according to my dictionary. Can you explain me the meaning in different contexts?
Literally it means and after (something).
It is used at the beginning of a speech by scholars as part of the sentence "and after exalting god and greeting the prophet and his companions and his purified family and descendants all"
Arabic has many examples in which few words denote a complete sentence. Classic Persian poems also used this technique: A few words refer to a whole verse or its interpretation in the middle of their Persian (or at times arabic) poet.

Umm Malik
11-10-2015, 02:36 PM
it mean and after ..
we use it after thanking allah or greeting
is like when you say : after Praise be to Allah,or after in the name of allah the merciful the most merciful ... it is such and such

Umm Malik
11-10-2015, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by soheil1
Literally it means and after (something).
It is used at the beginning of a speech by scholars as part of the sentence "and after exalting god and greeting the prophet and his companions and his purified family and descendants all"
Arabic has many examples in which few words denote a complete sentence. Classic Persian poems also used this technique: A few words refer to a whole verse or its interpretation in the middle of their Persian (or at times arabic) poet.
this is the reply ... is like this

ZeeshanParvez
11-11-2015, 09:48 AM
It is a combination of the conjunction

Ùˆ

and
بعد

Since you have presented the noninflected state of the word it could refer to the verb

بَعُدَ

It could refer to the verb

بَعِدَ

It could refer to the verb

بَعَّدَ

It could refer to the verbal noun

بُعد

It could refer to the particle

بَعْدُ

It could refer to the preposition

بَعَدَ

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!