/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Language barriers in marriage. Would that recommendable?

new2010
08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Assalamalaikum,

would you marry a sister from abroad, even when you cannot speak that language she speaks perfectly though it's actually your native tongue? Is that even possible, so communication is an important aspect of marriage. Even I would feel weird as a men when I couldn't articulate as my language that I am familiar with.

I know RasulAllah sas mentioned we should look for religiosity.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
08-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam.

I don't speak English in daily life but I can communicate with people in this forum. So, language difference is not a barrier for me to marry a woman who speak in different language. I can learn her language.

Lady A
08-11-2015, 03:21 AM
:wa:

Languages can be learned! As long as the language of love is there... :wub:

umairlooms
08-11-2015, 05:16 AM
once again, my girlfriend's first lanuguage is spanish and her french is better than her english..yet we always speak in english.
it works fine for us

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
translator
08-11-2015, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
Assalamalaikum,
It is that being a Muslim is essential. But you also need counderstanding

translator
08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lady A
:wa:
Languages can be learned! As long as the language of love is there... :wub:
Yes, can be learned. but You cannot wait until it's learned (may take a few years)

greenhill
08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Different for different people. What might be good or necessary for you might not be the same for others.

:peace:

ardianto
08-11-2015, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by translator
Yes, can be learned. but You cannot wait until it's learned (may take a few years)
How about "learning by talking (and listening)"?.

By the way, if I married Pakistani woman who can only speak Urdu, then I would buy book "Urdu daily conversation" to make me easier in communication with her while I learn from Urdu teacher.

translator
08-11-2015, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
How about "learning by talking (and listening)"?.

By the way, if I married Pakistani woman who can only speak Urdu, then I would buy book "Urdu daily conversation" to make me easier in communication with her while I learn from Urdu teacher.
You can learn by example, but that takes very long, months at least.

translator
08-11-2015, 05:01 PM
unless you have some familiarity with the language beforehand

sister herb
08-11-2015, 05:41 PM
If someone is going to marry, that shouldn´t be so busy matter that you couldn´t wait months to prepair yourself well to your new life. And by some way you of course have to resolve the problem how to understand your spouse in the future.

new2010
08-11-2015, 07:30 PM
unless you have some familiarity with the language beforehand
Yes, but what if you don't like this language? May be one can learn to re-love his "mother tongue"?!

Marriage holds long either in good cases you're married for some decades, even if you take 5-6 years to learn the language it would be well invested.

ardianto
08-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Yes, but what if you don't like this language? May be one can learn to re-love his "mother tongue"?!
I can understand if you dislike a food. But what makes you dislike a language? ^o)

MidnightRose
08-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Our Prophet (PBUH) stressed that religiosity is the most important characteristic to look for in a potential spouse. If we make an effort to please Allah, He'll always make seemingly difficult challenges - such as language barriers - very easy to overcome.

Abdul Emwazi
10-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately where I live, there is very few sisters to get to know.

shafat10
10-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Assalamalaikum,

would you marry a sister from abroad, even when you cannot speak that language she speaks perfectly though it's actually your native tongue? Is that even possible, so communication is an important aspect of marriage. Even I would feel weird as a men when I couldn't articulate as my language that I am familiar with.

The last part, our Prophet PBUH said that when you look for a spouse, look for 4 things, beauty, wealth, nobility, and virtue, but the best amongst them is virtue.

If you look for beauty, it's not a problem, if you look for wealth, no problem, if for nobility, no problem, but it's better to look for virtuous spouse.

It's easier for a virtuous spouse to take you to Jannah, rather than a beautiful spouse ;). Just saying. Beauty fades with time, however, virtue, grows with time :).

Hope this helps (as far as the last part is concerned).

Ahmed2014
10-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Language is a means of communication and communication is very important in marriage.

However I speak multiple languages and as does my spouse. I think and speak in English and so does she. However, some people don't that does not mean that you cannot communicate as long as you speak the same language.

My only concern would be familiarity with what you were raised with vs what the other person is raised with.

I am European, but grew up in Africa and North America. Most of my life has been in North America. My spouse is from Africa, but grew up majority of her life in North America. We are both attached to our experiences in Africa. We had similar experiences as refugees too. Our values are the same. We have common understanding.

Yet our native tongues are different, we are born in different parts of the world, it has little to no effect on our understanding of each other.

Commonalities are more important than place of birth or language, as long as you can speak in the same language and understand one another.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!