/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Expressing feelings

Umm Abed
08-23-2015, 04:28 PM
I think Im posting in the right section and, talking about feelings, how do you express your emotions?

For example, I may be very happy for a specific reason but can be quite calm and I dont express that
excitement so that the next person would have no idea what I may be feeling, lol, so how do you feel
about something exciting?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Abed
08-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Jazakallah for your reply @najimuddin and congrats on the birth of your baby boy, may Allah give him good health and keep him happy and content, as well as all your children, ameen.

So, were you really excited and happy at the birth but did not show it, or were you not excited at all? With me I dont show that excitement even though Im really happy inward, as happened at a family event. No one could tell my emotions so I dont know if that is normal.

Personally Id be super excited at baby's birth but just appear cool and recollected.:D

Umm Abed
08-24-2015, 02:06 PM
So how do you show your emotions, namely happiness??

Any more responses would be appreciated.

greenhill
08-24-2015, 03:37 PM
I've never been one to get.... (more like won't allow myself to get) carried away with extremes of emotions.

The 'stiff upper lip' expression of the Brits to say not showing emotions. . .a dying breed?

I share the news in a 'matter of fact' way. No drama. I may not keep it all to myself.... depending on the news, I might shed a tear or I might jump for joy, but it won't be all night celebration or months of depression. I'll soak in the fun from those around..

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lonewolf007
08-24-2015, 04:16 PM
hmmmm interesrting, I'm the type to keep my feelings to myself, if I'm really happy about something i dont think i show it too much tbh, I'm the type to keep my feelings and emotions to myself, I'm just weird like that :)

btw cool thread sis :thumbs_up

Umm Abed
08-24-2015, 05:36 PM
So Im not the only one lol; but most people that Ive seen, show their excitement on happy news by being extra talkative, being somewhat loud, broad smiles and get carried away;Dbut alhamdulillah, its good too! Cool and calm attitude, greenhill:shade:.

You'r not weird sis muslim007, its not only you who is abit reserved ; so how do you feel when you'r happy? When Im happy all inside me says it all lol thats how I can describe it:wub:

ardianto
08-24-2015, 05:40 PM
There is 'pop' term in my place, Cowok Jaim, it's means "A guy (cowok) who always maintain his self image in front of other people". And to be honest, I am Cowok Jaim.

I always control my attitude in front of other people, which include controlling my face expression. And it's really affect my ability on controlling my emotion. So, when I get happy news or get praised, I just smile, and still calm.

Umm Abed
08-24-2015, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
There is 'pop' term in my place, Cowok Jaim, it's means "A guy (cowok) who always maintain his self image in front of other people". And to be honest, I am Cowok Jaim.

I always control my attitude in front of other people, which include controlling my face expression. And it's really affect my ability on controlling my emotion. So, when I get happy news or get praised, I just smile, and still calm.
You mention that you control your facial expression as well, that must be a feat to accomplish, but as you say you smile then that sort of manages your emotions well and you stay calm:statisfie. Id be taking in deep breaths to control my excitement lol.:happy:

Lots of composed and calm people on Islamic Board, masha'allah.

Thanks for your response ardianto.

lonewolf007
08-24-2015, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
So Im not the only one lol; but most people that Ive seen, show their excitement on happy news by being extra talkative, being somewhat loud, broad smiles and get carried away;Dbut alhamdulillah, its good too! Cool and calm attitude, greenhill:shade:.

You'r not weird sis muslim007, its not only you who is abit reserved ; so how do you feel when you'r happy? When Im happy all inside me says it all lol thats how I can describe it:wub:

yeah cuz I'm a private person and a bit of an introvert and dont like attention on me at all, so when I'm happy its more on the inside that goes crazy lol

i get you sis its cool :)

Umm Abed
08-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your reply muslim007:) yea I understand if you'r an introvert then you dont want all eyes on you but, sometimes getting warm reactions from people makes one feel good and connected, lol.

Any more responses are welcome, what do you say, guys? :BeRightBack::D.

MidnightRose
08-24-2015, 11:21 PM
Jazakallah for your reply najimuddin and congrats on the birth of your baby boy, may Allah give him good health and keep him happy and content, as well as all your children, ameen.

So, were you really excited and happy at the birth but did not show it, or were you not excited at all? With me I dont show that excitement even though Im really happy inward, as happened at a family event. No one could tell my emotions so I dont know if that is normal.

Personally Id be super excited at baby's birth but just appear cool and recollected.:D
I was/am really happy. However, you wouldn't know by looking or talking to me. I appear cool and laid back.
It's perfectly normal in my opinion.

Samiun
08-24-2015, 11:31 PM
:sl: well I think I keep quiet and not talk much whenever nothing happens but when a good news breaks out I get carried away pretty easily and break character

but most people that Ive seen, show their excitement on happy news by being extra talkative, being somewhat loud, broad smiles and get carried away
Its just as you describe. As for bad news well, I try my best no to show emotion or keep a calm demeanor

Umm Abed
08-25-2015, 06:44 AM
:wa:Jazaka'allah @Samiun , youve got it balanced somehow:)

I feel its harder to control negative emotions such as crying - or can it be called 'negative emotions' ? That brings on another question, but it is quite hard to control that especially if someone is pushing you to an extent.

So you'r among those who literally bubble with excitement on hearing happy news. Masha'allah we are so diverse in nature - each one has his/her own way of expressing happiness and emotions:)

Umm Abed
08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by najimuddin
I was/am really happy. However, you wouldn't know by looking or talking to me. I appear cool and laid back.
It's perfectly normal in my opinion.
Alhamdulillah thats good to know.

Thats how I am too.:)

Abz2000
08-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Keep it real:

ardianto
08-26-2015, 05:02 PM
You mention that you control your facial expression as well, that must be a feat to accomplish, but as you say you smile then that sort of manages your emotions well and you stay calm:statisfie. Id be taking in deep breaths to control my excitement lol.:happy:

Lots of composed and calm people on Islamic Board, masha'allah.

Thanks for your response ardianto.
You're welcome.

As ordinary human sometime I can feel uncomfortable when interact with other people. In example, when I talk with someone who has problem with body odor. If I could not control my face expression, then this uncomfortable feeling could be reflected on my face, and it could offend him/her. This is the importance of ability of controlling face expression

:)

Umm Abed
08-26-2015, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
You're welcome.

As ordinary human sometime I can feel uncomfortable when interact with other people. In example, when I talk with someone who has problem with body odor. If I could not control my face expression, then this uncomfortable feeling could be reflected on my face, and it could offend him/her. This is the importance of ability of controlling face expression

Thank you:)

Ok so you'r very sensitive by nature in the sense that you've learnt to contain your feelings within yourself, Im sure you can achieve this with practice, where you are able to control your facial expression as in your example, I think I would distance myself in that situation because I wouldnt have a choice..

One thing Ive learnt, that being around kids makes me happy because once again Im able to express myself more freely even if I dont use words to show such feelings.

Scimitar
08-26-2015, 05:31 PM
feelings? what are those? >>

Scimi

Umm Abed
08-26-2015, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
feelings? what are those? >>

Scimi
What would your conclusion be of what feelings are? Or based on my OP thread, you can elaborate more on how do you express emotions such as happiness.

Scimitar
08-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Feelings, can sometimes make us do and say things that we regret... they are a test, and a guidance for our own selves, if we but take note.

What are Feelings, to you?

Scimi

Umm Abed
08-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Feelings, can sometimes make us do and say things that we regret... they are a test, and a guidance for our own selves, if we but take note.

What are Feelings, to you?

Scimi
Hey Scimi, yes feelings can be a test also thats where human intelligence comes in to use, I think, because you've got to think ahead about the consequences of what you may have done based on the feelings, and it can either be negative or positive, so yes we have to act rationally at all times and not give in to any feelings at any time.:sunny:

Scimitar
08-28-2015, 04:13 AM
unless they are positive feelings :) for halal things.

Scimi

Berries'forest
08-29-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm not very good at expressing my feelings, I have a long way to go concerning this issue. For example, there are times when bad news hit me and I hardly cry like the loss of someone in my family or losing something really precious. I think I have a mega-delayed reaction, I'd cry after months or even a year from the incident. I have to know how to get in touch with my feelings because I bottle up everything inside and I'll end up exploding.

Umm Abed
08-29-2015, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Berries'forest
I'm not very good at expressing my feelings, I have a long way to go concerning this issue. For example, there are times when bad news hit me and I hardly cry like the loss of someone in my family or losing something really precious. I think I have a mega-delayed reaction, I'd cry after months or even a year from the incident. I have to know how to get in touch with my feelings because I bottle up everything inside and I'll end up exploding.
Some of us arent good in expressing feelings it could be either due to the reaction we'r worried of getting from people, or it can simply be just too overwhelming.

And thats true that bottling up feelings is not healthy too.

So, how do you express happiness, as when great news reaches you - do you get really excited or do you appear quite calm as if no one would guess whats happening inside you?

Samiun
08-29-2015, 01:15 PM
:wa:Jazaka'allah @Samiun , youve got it balanced somehow:)

I feel its harder to control negative emotions such as crying - or can it be called 'negative emotions' ? That brings on another question, but it is quite hard to control that especially if someone is pushing you to an extent.

So you'r among those who literally bubble with excitement on hearing happy news. Masha'allah we are so diverse in nature - each one has his/her own way of expressing happiness and emotions:)
I don't know if that's a good thing tho, I heard that the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. commands us to not get so overexcited over a good news because when the calamity comes we will be very depressed. So I try not to, but it seems difficult.

ardianto
08-30-2015, 03:26 AM
Feeling is something that arises spontaneously in our mind without we can prevent it, while emotion is something that arises as response of the feeling, but still can be controlled by mind. Of course, if we can't control our emotion, then we can do or say something wrong.

In example, when you know the friend who you trust cheat you, spontaneously you feel disappointed to him. This disappointed feeling could cause an emotion that called "anger". And if you could not control your anger, then you probably would hit him.

So, bro, what become a test is not feeling, but emotion. :)

MidnightRose
08-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Hey Scimi, yes feelings can be a test also thats where human intelligence comes in to use, I think, because you've got to think ahead about the consequences of what you may have done based on the feelings, and it can either be negative or positive, so yes we have to act rationally at all times and not give in to any feelings at any time.:sunny:
Many cases of men who divorced their wives while in a state of anger are unfortunate examples of what you mentioned. Based on the many queries on various Islamic Q&A websites, it seems these men, having not rationally thought about the consequences before acting, regret their actions after calming down.

fhmn63
08-30-2015, 07:32 AM
When I am happy ,I read two rakat of shukrana.
When I am sad,I read Quran and its translation.

Umm Abed
08-30-2015, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam hashtag
When I am happy ,I read two rakat of shukrana.
When I am sad,I read Quran and its translation.
Its great to know how you spend your time so productively.

Thanks for your contribution and welcome to the forum:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!