/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thecompletedeen. My journey as a forum admin.

aflawedbeing
09-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Asalaamu alaykum wa rahmahtullahi wa barakatuh.

Brothers and sisters, I have decided there is a void online that needs to be filled.
We are lacking Islamic forums, in fact, I find it it easier to find an active forum of about any other faith (I'm a member of many, due to my past as an enthusiast of interfaith/politics/societal attitudes etc...Well, I still dig all that, but still...) but Islam! It's such a shame, so I'm going to pitch to you all, to begin with, why we need more Islamic forums and why they should walk hand in hand with social media (if we must have social media.)

1. Moderation and the ability to be discerning.
Do you guys have any idea just how much absolute garbage is floating around social media? Seriously, I had a family member once tell me subhanAllah something along the lines of 'using a prayer mat is haraam because Jews are making them and hiding eyes in the patterns to invalidate our prayers' among other such garbage.
Sure, garbage will always slip through the cracks in a forum environment, but you have to set the culture early with knowledgeable and/or enthusiastic members.
There is filtration so to speak, and there is much more ability for people to not get caught up in such validation bubbles' and confront a conglomerate of people willing to pick apart and critically analyse their posts.

2. Minimalist narcissistic behaviour.
Okay. There's narcissists on forums. We all know that.
But, I would hazard selfies are to a minimum.
My forum at least, sure won't have a selfie thread.
...Maybe in the sisters section...If the sister moderator allows it.

3. Sweet, sweet anonymity.
This is huge - especially for some people interested in Islam who are worried about their family and friends, those who need to learn in private. This was my story, this was huge for me especially in the months before I said the shahada way back in 2007. This was the mid-noughties where Alhamdulillah Islamic forums were crowded and provided a great atmosphere.
Sure, again, people misuse this. But if your moderators are on-point you'll be apples.

4. I'm studying to become a counsellor. I'm not there yet, but inshaAllah I truly hope I can incorporate this (down the track) into the forums to inshaAllah help people who need it.

So what's my deal?
I'm tech illiterate.:shade: But I've still managed two very successful forums in the past, grown entirely organically from the passion I had for the subject matter, on a preferred software (which geeks may judge...But I'm here to spread the deen in a way I'm comfortable with and know I can manage - not to be king geek. That was not a dig at the admin of this forum, I love him for the sake of Allah (swt))
Neither being such a niche as Islam - but that's okay insha'Allah. Allah swt is the best of planners, so with or without success in this I know my intentions are right.

I just feel it. So much potential not being tapped into.
So much curiousity.
So many people close to Islam but nowhere comfortable to talk about it - especially in the times of real names and social media.

May Allah swt grant us all what's best, and continue to guide us.

I tried to open it last week...But then held back...Insha'Allah, watch this space.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
09-29-2015, 07:36 PM
:wasalam:

Wow excellent thread, really look forward to your progress :).

Also another problem on social media I'd like to mention. I have seen many young brothers and sisters getting lured into many things. At the age of naivety and can be convinced into literally anything which is dangerous. In today's day and age, if a young girl opens up an Instagram account. The amount of attention she will get from men is ridiculous.

There was a social experiment done, where there was a young boy and someone pretended to be a girl on social media and meet up with him. Surprising thing is, he actually went to the location! His mum badly told him off afterwards though (poor him). Goes to show how dangerous it can be.

Social media is OK and beneficial if carefully monitored by parents with other restrictions too. But if I had a daughter, I would definitely prefer she uses forums to social media, where it's in a moderated environment. Where I know she will be safer.

aflawedbeing
10-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Alright. Got my assessments out the way.
It's on like Donkey Kong insha'Allah. :)

I'm just doing some research on streams of peoples. ;D

Also posting up some threads.

aflawedbeing
11-03-2015, 04:59 AM
Okay. So now that things have calmed alhamdulillah I have purchased thecompletedeen.com - though, due to the way Zeta is set up it's not yet active. InshaAllah it will be by tomorrow as per my request.
So, basically, we're fired up and ready to go insha'Allah! :)

the hardest part is bringing a community together.

For starters we will be primarily Islamic discussion. Though, I do have a few niche aces up my sleeves (one I'll be qualified to provide once my studies are up insha'Allah.)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Just visited the site.... :D

All the best.

:peace:

strivingobserver98
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
Okay. So now that things have calmed alhamdulillah I have purchased thecompletedeen.com - though, due to the way Zeta is set up it's not yet active. InshaAllah it will be by tomorrow as per my request.
So, basically, we're fired up and ready to go insha'Allah! :)

the hardest part is bringing a community together.

For starters we will be primarily Islamic discussion. Though, I do have a few niche aces up my sleeves (one I'll be qualified to provide once my studies are up insha'Allah.)
Masha Allah that's great to hear [emoji4].

I have been on your forum a few times, do you mind if I give my personal advice on it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!