/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I have a million rands to bust

Khalid Saifullah
10-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Ever find yourself in a parking lot? Look around and you will see a larnie in sunglasses in the latest metallic 4X4 Merc, a smiling working class aunty in an old 1990 model Toyota Corolla, a meticulous youngster in the latest Golf 5, a carpenter with his step ladder on top of his Station Wagon and a Maulana with 12 children in a dented Camry!

All of them have cars, but their levels of income are different.

I am sure everyone must’ve visited Bismillah Restaurant? Where else would you be on a Saturday night? Your home kitchen is closed! There, you will sometimes see half the dining area taken up by one booking (a cool R3000-00 bill) on one side and on the other side, a lone bachelor eating bunny chow. Some people order Sizzlers whilst some settle on daal ghosht. Some will order delicious paratas as starters whilst others will nibble on the free salad and sour milk. I don’t think they have pap and vleis yet on the menu, but ultimately, all of them are happy and ate to their fill.

The point is that the Almighty has given us all His bounties according to His wisdom, but we find the standard of living is generally a bit higher amongst the South African Muslims in general. Muslims are generally known to be spendthrifts and very conscious of fashion, image and competition with each other in material things. So, if we have wealth, how should we be spending it?

What Must I do with the Extra Bucks?

The first thing everyone must know is that the money which we have and which we earn is NOT OUR PROPERTY. This fact seems strange so allow me to elaborate.

If this money was ours, than why can’t we be buried with it? But if we did so, then wouldn’t we be regarded as just another selfish pharaoh not worried of his children? Why is it that from every rand we earn, WE PERSONALLY only use about 5% of it on ourselves? Assume we have R10 000-00 at the start of the month. About R4 000-00 will go to Shoprite for groceries, R1 500-00 to the Council for water & lights, R1 200-00 to Shareed the domestic worker, R1 300 -00 to Appa Farhana for Muslim School fees, and another R1000-00 to DSTV, Telkom and MTN. This is already R9 000-00. Another few 100s will go on Saturday night chows and what are we left for ourselves – the primary earner? Nothing! O yes, I forgot SARS and the Insurance Company!!

So there you have it. From the money you earn, almost 95% is for somebody else, so do you still think that the money is yours? NO, it is not. It belongs to the Almighty. He made you a means of earning it, but not the owner of it.

So if you are not the owner of your million rand, than you can not spend it how you want to. You can not go to Dubai just to buy one designer handbag, to Makkah just to avoid doing the dishes over the holidays, to Malaysia just to experience the Petronas Towers and to London to see the Royal Wedding.

You can not upgrade your Porsche to a Lamborghini because you want to be only one of three to own such a car in SA, nor you exchange your house in Laudium for a mansion in Eldoraigne just because your neighbour shifted to Sandton and nor can you book the Coca Cola Dome for your daughter’s wedding just because your uncle had his glitzy affair at the Pretoria Show Grounds!

Did you ever think the Almighty will never question us for our extravagance and thoughtless spending?

However, if you can afford a Lamborghini because you want to reach the Masjid faster, or you want to live in Eldoraigne because you want to impress Islam on your non-Muslim neighbours, or you want to book out the Show Grounds to invite all the poor people of Atteridgeville, then you will be amply rewarded for that.

Average Standard of Living

Whilst Islam is not against earning as much as possible, it is certainly against misusing such money and using such wealth to show off and depict our worldly status. Islam is also against abject poverty and living in such need that we have no dignity and self-respect. In fact, our Noble Master Muhammad (SAW) would often make this supplication: “Allahumma Innee A’oodhubika min Batril Ghina wa Madhallatil Faqr.” (Al-Hizbul A’zam) “O Lord, I seek protection in You from the deceit of wealth and the humiliation of poverty.”

As Muslims, we need to realise that the place for true enjoyment and pleasure is in the hereafter. This does not mean that we can not enjoy the permissible pleasures of the world, but it certainly means that if we make pleasure the purpose of our worldly existence – and many of us view life in this way – and indulge in the best of luxuries all the time, then we are leaving no reward for ourselves in the hereafter, our everlasting abode.

The Almighty says in the Qur’an: “Adh-Habtum Tayyibaatikum fi Hayyaatikum ad-Dunya Wastamta’tum biha. Falyauma Tujzaina Adhaabal Hoon.” (You have completed your portion of pleasure in this world and enjoyed it. Now today taste a grievous punishment…)

So if we earn money just to enjoy it in this world – to go for frequent overseas holidays, to eat out regularly at the most elite restaurants, to wear only designer clothing and live in mansions, then let us start redirecting our lives now.

Faith is more valuable than Wealth

Our Noble Master Muhammad Mustapha (SAW), the most exalted person in history, was given a choice by the Almighty of either becoming a “Slave Prophet” or a “King Prophet.” If he chose “Slave Prophet,” it would mean that he would be poor and in need all the time. If he chose a “King Prophet,” it would mean that unlimited wealth would be at his disposal. In fact, the Almighty offered the entire Mount Uhud be turned to gold for our Noble Master and what’s more, that this mountain would follow him wherever he went and he could spend at will. Our Noble Master (SAW) refused the offer.

Now I am sure if any one of us were to receive such an offer, we would welcome it with open arms. Many of us would be now saying: “Eish, why couldn’t the Prophet accept all that gold and leave it for me in inheritance. Mount Uhud weighs about 100 000 tonnes. With so much money, I can have 20 slaves surrounding me every day. One will be busy polishing my shoes the whole day, another will walk behind me carrying my six cellphones and my favourite one will be sprinkling rose water and gold dust wherever I walk!”

But our Noble Master (SAW) – the richest person in this world – did not have these thoughts. When asked why he had refused such a fantastic offer, he replied and let his reply be the guiding principle for our life for all time to come. He said:

“I wish that on one day I eat and express thanks (make shukr) to the Almighty and on the next day, I remain hungry and bear it with patience (make sabr).”

So if you do have a million bucks to spare, let your mind go to Sabera’s Orphanage and not to Dubai, let it go the Al-Imdaad Foundation and not to the Black Tie Restaurant, let it go to the poor of Soweto and not the lucrative Time Share in the Wilderness. Our spiritual return will be a million percent in both the worlds.

Go ahead and try it!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
10-30-2015, 08:05 PM
جزاك اللهُ خيراً [emoji106].

Incase anyone doesn't know what "Rands" is, it's the currency in South Africa.

1 Million rands is £46,859 british pounds.

Abz2000
10-30-2015, 09:18 PM
mashaAllah bro Farhan, so matter of factly. :)
i read that when ayyub (pbuh) was gathering the grasshoppers after Allah had healed him, he was asked by Allah, is it not I who provide for you O Ayyub? he replied: yes O my lord, then he was asked then why are you gathering all this wealth? he is said to have replied: so i can have more of your blessings O Allah.
a test passed and Allah's pleasure gained even in the collection of wealth!

he must've had enough of his share of difficulty considering how well he had lived before his affliction.

an amazing invention is stairs, with the same stairs you can go up, with the same you can come down - SubhanAllah!
can you imagine if he said he didn't care what Allah thought but said that he needed it anyway since Allah made it hard on him when he relied on Allah? or if he rejected it out of anger for all the trouble that Allah had put him through and Allah recorded it as ingratude and foolish rejection of His blessings?

and there are those who say our Lord, give us that which is good in this world and that which is good in the hereafter and save us from the torment of the fire.

i'll try and find the hadith/tafseer for you inshaAllah unless someone else posts it first.

regarding being offered mount uhud, can you please provide a source? from what i recall reading, he pbuh said something along the lines of liking the idea of having the equivalent of mount uhud in gold and spending it in Allah's way until by the evening or next day he pbuh would retain that with which to pay debts and buy some provisions.
i'll try finding that one for you too InshaAllah.

edit:
found some:

If I had gold equal to the mountain of uhud

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radhi-Allah-hu 'anhu):Allah’s Messenger (salAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said:
"If I had gold equal to the mountain of uhud, it would not please me that anything of it should remain with me after three nights (i.e., I would spend all of it in Allah's Cause) except what I would keep for repaying debts."

[Sahih Bukhari - Book 76: Hadith 452]
some details of Ayyub's test along with the grasshopper narration:

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...2629&Itemid=76

here we find that his test began when Iblis heard and became jealous at the following conversation of the angels which starts with:

A group of angels were discussing Allah's other human creatures, how those who were humble earned Allah's pleasure, while those who were arrogant incurred His displeasure.
One of the angels remarked:
"The best creature on earth today is Job, a man of noble character who displays great patience and always remembers his Generous Lord. He is an excellent model for the worshippers of Allah. In return, his Lord has blessed him with a long life and plenty of servants, as well as the needy and the poor share in his good fortune; he feeds and clothes the poor and buys slaves to set them free. He makes those who receive his charity feel as if they are favoring him so kind and gentle is he."

full article:
http://sepuluhcetekaje.blogspot.com/...ggris.html?m=1

In one of the houses of*Madinah, ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattab,*may Allaah be pleased with him, was sitting with a group of his companions.
He asked them:*“Make a wish”,*
one of them said,*“I wish to have as much gold as would fill this whole house, so that I could spend it in Jihaad”;
then again ‘Umar*asked:*“Make a wish”,
another man said,*“I wished that this house was full of jewels and pearls so that I could spend it all in Jihaad and charity for the sake of Allaah”;
‘Umar*asked for the third time:*“Make a wish”,
his companions said:*“We don’t know what to say, O leader of the believers”;
Thereupon ‘Umar*said,*“I wish that this house was full of men like Abu ‘Ubaydah Ibn Al-Jarraah, Mu’aadh bin Jabal and Saalim who works for Abu Hudhayfah in order to use them to* spread the word of Allaah”*

May Allah have mercy on ‘Umar*- the inspired. He definitely knew how true civilizations are established, how great missions succeed and how to revive dead nations!

http://www.alminbar.com/khutbaheng/2324.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!