/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the emperor and the begger

BilalKid
11-14-2015, 06:05 PM
An emperor was coming out of his palace for his morning walk when he met a beggar. He asked the beggar, "What do u want?"

The beggar laughed & said, " U are asking me as though u can fulfil my desire."

The emperor was offended. He said, "Of course I can fulfill ur desire. What is it? Just tell me."

And the beggar said, "Think twice before u promise anything."

The beggar was no ordinary beggar. So the emperor insisted, "I will fulfill anything u ask. I am a very powerful emperor, what can u possibly desire that I can not give to u?"

The beggar said, "It is a very simple desire. U see this begging bowl? Can u fill it with something?"

The emperor said, "Of course!" He called one of his viziers & told him, "Fill this man's begging bowl with money."

The vizier went & got some money & poured it into the bowl, & it disappeared. And he poured more & more, but the moment he would pour it, it would disappear & the begging bowl remained always empty.

The whole palace gathered & news spread throughout the land & a huge crowd gathered. The prestige of the emperor was at stake. He said to his viziers, "If the whole kingdom is lost, I am ready to lose it, but I cannot be defeated by this beggar."

Diamonds & pearls & emeralds, his treasuries were becoming empty. The begging bowl seemed to be bottomless. Everything that was put into it - everything - immediately disappeared, & went out of existence. Finally it was evening, & the people were standing there in utter silence.

The emperor dropped himself at the feet of the beggar & admitted his defeat.

He said, " U are victorious - but before u leave, just fulfill my curiosity. What is this begging bowl made of?"

The beggar laughed & said, " There is no secret. It is simply made up of human desire which is bottomless. No matter how much u may have, the human desire is such that it will always want more & more. Satisfying ur desires is like satisfying the thirsty person who went to drink water from the sea - the more he drinks, the thirstier he gets, since the water is salty."

Hazrath Ibn 'Abbas (رضي الله تعالى عنه )narrated:
I heard the Prophet sallallaahu alayhi wasallam saying,
"If the son of Adam (the human
being) had two valleys of money,
he would wish for a third, for nothing
can fill the belly of Adam's son
except dust, and Allah forgives him
who repents to Him."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.