/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Age for marriage at the time of the Prophet (PBUH)

FortunateSaad
11-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Assalam-O-Alaikum

Don't worry, this is not another question about what her age was at the time of marriage. I just have one question for those who believe that Hazrat Aisha (R.A) consummated her marriage around the age of 9 to 14. My question is, do we have examples of other Muslims getting married(and consummating their marriages) around that age as well at that time? If so, can you name a few.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BilalKid
11-15-2015, 11:32 PM
good question ^o)

syed_z
11-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum brother....

I believe that Aisha (r.a) age was not 5 or 6 yrs old I believe when the marriage consummated with the Beloved Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alaihi Wassallam). Just like every other book is fallible except the Quran, so is Sahih Bukhari. It is not 110% accurate as the Quran is.

There are many other historical traditions that oppose the Bukhari tradition clearly specify that she was much older when the marriage consummated. As for your question I honestly don't know the answer.

Allah (swt) knows best.

FortunateSaad
11-16-2015, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed_z
Asalaam O Alaikum brother....

I believe that Aisha (r.a) age was not 5 or 6 yrs old I believe when the marriage consummated with the Beloved Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alaihi Wassallam). Just like every other book is fallible except the Quran, so is Sahih Bukhari. It is not 110% accurate as the Quran is.

There are many other historical traditions that oppose the Bukhari tradition clearly specify that she was much older when the marriage consummated. As for your question I honestly don't know the answer.

Allah (swt) knows best.
Indeed, I also believe she was not that young at the time and I have sufficient evidence to solidify this view. But the problem is that a lot of Muslims are trying to justify the young age of her by saying that people getting married at that age was common at that time. If this is true then surely there must be known young grooms and brides at the time that we can refer to. If we can't then I fear people will see this hole in the claim and take advantage. I couldn't find any names on my own. I was hoping someone else, especially the people who make the claim in the first place, may know better.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syed_z
11-16-2015, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by FortunateSaad
Indeed, I also believe she was not that young at the time and I have sufficient evidence to solidify this view. But the problem is that a lot of Muslims are trying to justify the young age of her by saying that people getting married at that age was common at that time. If this is true then surely there must be known young grooms and brides at the time that we can refer to. If we can't then I fear people will see this hole in the claim and take advantage. I couldn't find any names on my own. I was hoping someone else, especially the people who make the claim in the first place, may know better.

MashA'Allah may Allah (swt) help us understand and share the evidence with others, and give us courage to share. A very good lecture by Maulana Shaikh Imran Hosein explains the same thing...

The problem is that Scholars who don't have the courage and intelligence to accept that Sahih Bukhari could have en error go about trying to justify. But it would be easier for them to handle obligations if they accept that hadith books can have error.

The proof that no one else married girls at that age, especially after Islamic Guidance had come (don't care what ppl did in jahilliya) is a proof that this would've been incorrect thing to do.

Zafran
11-16-2015, 05:36 AM
In the pre modern world people married very young throughout the world and not just in the mid east. However just like slavery, concubinage - child marriages have ultimately been rebuked in some parts of the world however in other (usually poorer countries) its still practiced.

Dont quote me on this but according to wikipedia

Historically within the Catholic Church, prior to the 1917 Code of Canon Law, the minimum age for a dissoluble betrothal (sponsalia de futuro) was 7 years in the contractees. The minimum age for a valid marriage was puberty, or nominally 14 for males and 12 for females.[30] The 1917 Code of Canon Law raised the minimum age for a valid marriage at 16 for males and 14 for females.[31] The 1983 Code of Canon Law maintained the minimum age for a valid marriage at 16 for males and 14 for females.[32](c. 1083 §1)[a]
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage

1Omar
07-19-2016, 01:12 AM
لا اله الا الله

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.