/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Good Quran Translation

LaSorcia
11-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Ok, so I know most Muslims learn or know Arabic in order to read the Quran in its original language. This is not an option for me- I might be 80 before I could read it lol! I found one in English, but the translation was not very good so I stopped reading it. It was trying to sound like Shakepearean English. Can anyone recommend an English translation that sounds like contemporary English? It can be an online version. Thanks in advance!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
11-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Try: http://quran.com/1

It uses Sahih International, should be easy to read :ia: :).

LaSorcia
11-18-2015, 11:28 PM
I tried that one, as someone suggested I read the Maryam one, but I found it difficult to read with the verses so far apart. But thanks!

syed_z
11-19-2015, 05:40 AM
Salaam Sister....Peace be with you....

Theres this new English Translation by an Egyptian Scholar named Abdel Haleem. You can find it right here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_j...Ymc/view?pli=1

You can even download with PDF.

...my team and I do street Dawah (Preaching) on streets in U.S and we hand over these ones to our christian brothers and sisters who desire to know about the Quran in more detail but wish it be in English. We've gotten positive response from many who have read. Its simple, easy, has Topics in the beginning before the Quran begins to help the 1st time reader know as to 'What - When - Who - How' of the Quran before he/she starts reading chapters. It then makes the Chapters easy to understand. The following Topics are utmost necessary for any one like yourself to understand before you begin reading any chapters of the Quran:

Introduction ix
The Life of Muhammad and the Historical Background x
The Revelation of the Quran xiv
The Compilation of the Quran xv
The Structure of the Quran: Suras and Ayas xvi
Stylistic Features xix
Issues of Interpretation xxi
A Short History of English Translations xxvi
This Translation xxix
A Chronology of the Quran xxxvii
Select Bibliography xxxix
Map of Arabia at the Time of the Revelation xliii

Each topic gives an explanation that is more than sufficient to have clarity of the background of the Quran.

There is an introductory note before the beginning of every chapter that helps you understand the background of it before you begin to read. Additionally there are also foot notes of Verses that help you understand what else the Verse could imply other than just its basic translation.

Highly recommend you to read this one!

May God have Mercy on all of us ....Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LaSorcia
11-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Thank you, I have bookmarked the page. I like the background info at the beginning, too.

syed_z
11-24-2015, 02:34 AM
You're most welcome.

We give out free copies of these to our christian brothers and sisters here in US. If you'd like me to send a copy to you, I surely can, just give me a mailing address. If you're interested and are someone who'd like to read in a book.

2ndly, we encourage www.whyislam.org website for all people who'd like to educate themselves and know more about Islam and clear any misconceptions spread by the media.

You can let me know if you have any questions.

Abz2000
11-24-2015, 04:16 AM
It's really heartwarming to hear from people who try to learn more and expand their knowledge, especially when they choose to read for themselves and not get tricked by the media or the ignorant,
I pray that God guides you to sincere search and acceptance of truth despite what others may have told you.
You can maybe scroll through different translations and find one that's easy to read, sahih international seems quite accurate and simple, bearing in mind that all translations have their limitations when attempting to render multi-dimentional terms.
Peace,
Abz

Abz2000
11-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Oops, here's the link:

https://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nora/html/61-14.html

umairlooms
11-24-2015, 05:03 AM
i like clearquran.com

for tafseer, frankly, tafseer is not an easy task and I have struggled to find any good source of easy exegesis

TMGuide
11-24-2015, 06:20 AM
This translation is by Ibn Kathir (One of the best quran translations out there) the English is 'easy' to understand but whats great is that he adds background stories as well as hadith in the translation to make it even easier to understand. http://qtafsir.com/

format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Ok, so I know most Muslims learn or know Arabic in order to read the Quran in its original language. This is not an option for me- I might be 80 before I could read it lol! I found one in English, but the translation was not very good so I stopped reading it. It was trying to sound like Shakepearean English. Can anyone recommend an English translation that sounds like contemporary English? It can be an online version. Thanks in advance!

eesa the kiwi
11-24-2015, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
i use saheeh internationals translation

Abz2000
11-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Be careful with tafsirs though since many usually contain a lot of apocrypha, especially ibn kathir (may Allah have mercy upon him) who's tafsirs contain as much information as he could gather - regardless of the doubtful - you'll often see contradictory narrations on the same page simply for the sake of reference and uncertainty as to which might be correct, and are for advanced users who are familiar with the concept of differing opinions. Still, there's no harm in trying to learn if one wants to and feels confident.

LaSorcia
11-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I do want to see what the Quran says for myself rather than just hearing the condemnation from others. I know there are some things we will disagree on theologically, but that's ok. When we get to Jannah, we can laugh about it together. I don't need a hard copy, thank you though for the nice offer!

I have a big problem with so many people nowadays saying that all Muslims are radical who want to wipe out all infidels. I know people like to pick out single verses from both the Quran and Bible to prove their points and make things seem horrible. If it really is the case that I have to fear Islam, I want to know! If it really is the case that we can be sisters and brothers in belief in the same God, however different we might live out that faith, I want to know that too! I suspect the second is true. It says in Matthew 7:16 "by their fruit you will know them (believers or unbelievers)" The fruit talked about is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, faithfulness and self-control. I have seen this 'fruit' in people of both faiths, and I have seen the lack of it as well.

saif-uddin
12-15-2015, 09:25 AM
http://www.noblequran.com/translation/

saif-uddin
12-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Probably the best English translation available...

by
Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

saif-uddin
12-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Islamophobics are a plenty in the west unfortunately,

I advise you to read the Qur'an.

Feel free to Ask any questions about anything your not sure about etc,

Regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.