/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a Mosque

DanEdge
11-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Greetings,

Participating in this website has inspired me to attend a local Mosque and meet local Muslims. I have no expectation of ever being religious (any religion), but I'd like to show my support of the American Muslim community in these difficult times.

I talked to my girlfriend about this, and she said she'd like to come with me (she's Christian). I'm sure we'll both benefit from the experience. Will provide an update after we go.

Thanks to all on IslamicBoard who have shown your kindness, intelligence, and humanity.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
11-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Hello

Don't forget to share your experiences with us .

Insaanah
11-24-2015, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DanEdge
Participating in this website has inspired me to attend a local Mosque and meet local Muslims. I have no expectation of ever being religious (any religion), but I'd like to show my support of the American Muslim community in these difficult times.

I talked to my girlfriend about this, and she said she'd like to come with me (she's Christian). I'm sure we'll both benefit from the experience. Will provide an update after we go.
Greetings Dan,

You might know some Muslims locally, but if not, I hope it's ok if I give you a few pointers/guidelines before you go?

Ring the mosque you're thinking of visiting, before you go, and tell them you'd both like to visit, as some mosques doors aren't open all the time. That way, someone can be there and wait for your arrival, and can chat with you. If possible go around a prayer time (if you'd like to watch a congregational prayer). It is quite an awesome sight. Make a list, on paper, of everything you want to ask, or say, and take it with you. You may ask if they've any literature you can take away and read.

Your girlfriend should go modestly dressed; arms, legs and hair covered, and no figure hugging or transparent clothes. For yourself, legs covered preferably to the ankles (minimum to knees), and sleeves at least t-shirt length if not longer. Exchanges of hand shake with the opposite gender should be avoided, though you are free to shake hands with the men and she can shake hands with the sisters. Shoes are usually removed as you enter inside the mosque and placed in the shoe racks provided.

That's what I can think of for now, and I'm sure when you go, your host from the mosque would be more than happy to explain more and answer your questions.

Peace.

DanEdge
11-26-2015, 06:23 AM
Insaanah,

Thanks very much for the advice. I often get excited about ideas and don't think it through. I'll definitely contact someone on staff beforehand to ask for advice about a visit. It would be very embarrassing to unintentionally offend someone over something simple like open hours or dress code.

Also, you make me think about what I'd like to see. Prayer time sounds interesting. Is there singing in Muslim church? If so, I'd like to hear it. Are there any other Muslim special events that may be of interest to non-Muslims? I can just ask the local folks, but I'd be interested in your feedback.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DanEdge
11-26-2015, 06:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Hello

Don't forget to share your experiences with us .
Ma'am,

I look forward to sharing our experience with IslamicBoard :)

To the best within us,

--Dan Edge

Muslim Woman
11-26-2015, 08:12 AM
.... Is there singing in Muslim church? ...

--Dan Edge

no , no singing but recitation from holy Quran . Here is a link .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3gwMDuaonE

here is the recitation with English translation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WvHMNuhH3Y

DanEdge
11-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Ma'am,

This is SINGING. It is beautiful. It reminds me of ancient Asian Buddhist recitations of faith, or the Catholic monks. We all sing, and praise that which we find most precious.

Chose your own,

--Dan Edge

Insaanah
11-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Is there singing in Muslim church? If so, I'd like to hear it.
No, a mosque has no singing and no musical instruments. What you heard in the video, is not singing. It is the Qur'an being beautified with the reciter's voice. Muslims try to beautify their voices when reciting. There are rules as to how each letter is pronounced, which part of the mouth/throat is used for that letter, how long to pause on it, how long to stress it, and how much to elongate it, how to join it to the next letter etc. Very often the stresses/ emphasis and elongations, correspond to the meanings of what is being recited in an amazing way. So no recitation sounds nice randomly or as a result of chance. It doesn't have notes etc. However we do not sing the Qur'an and reduce it to the level of a song. If it was sung, like a song, it would be impossible to adhere to the rules of recitation. It may sound the same as as song to you, but there is a difference.

The Qur'an is recited during the five daily prayers, which are pre-sunrise, noon-ish, mid afternoon, post sunset, and night time. The lunchtime and afternoon prayers have the Qur'an recited quietly, though you will hear the phrase Allahu Akbar, which extols the greatness of God. The morning and evening prayers have the Qur'an recited loudly/audibly.

You'll both also notice, that a mosque contains no images or statues, not unlike the Biblical ten commandments.

During prayers, Muslims stand in rows, shoulder to shoulder, and bow and prostrate in unison, facing the direction of Sacred Mosque in Makkah.

In the mosque, if you watch a prayer, your girlfriend will notice that the Muslims are praying similar to the way Jesus (peace be upon him) and the previous Biblical Prophets prayed.

Taking off their shoes to pray

Qur'an
"When he came to the Fire, a voice was uttered: O Moses! I am thy Lord, therefore put off thy shoes, for thou art in the sacred valley of Tuwa."-(Holy Qur'an 20:11-12).

Bible
(And God said to Moses), "Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground."-(Exodus 3:5, also Acts 7:33).

They make ablution, washing their faces, hands and feet...

Qur'an
"O you who belive! When you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads, and wash your feet to the ankles."-(Holy Qur'an 5:7)

Bible
"And Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet thereat; when they went into the tent of the congregation they washed as the Lord commanded Moses."-(Exodus 40:31-32).

The faithful face the Qiblah (direction of prayer)

Qur'an

"So turn thy face toward the Sacred Mosque, and (O Muslims), wheresoever ye may be, turn your faces toward it."- (Holy Qur'an 2:144).

Bible
"Now when Daniel...went into his house; and his window being open in his chamber towards Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and thanks before his God, as he did aforetime."-(Daniel 6:10).

Bowing down and prostrating..

Qur'an
"O you who believe! Bow down and prostrate yourselves and serve your Lord, and do good that you may prosper."-(Holy Qur'an 22:77).

Bible
"And he (Jesus) went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed..."-(Matthew 26:39).

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship..."-(Joshua 5:14).

"And he (Elijah) cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees."-(1 Kings 18:42).

"And they (Moses and Aaron) fell upon their faces..."-(Numbers 20:6).

"And Abraham fell on his face..."-(Genesis 17:3).

Spreading out their hands to God, asking forgiveness, seeking His blessings, beseeching His protection..

Qur'an

"Our Lord! Give us good in this world and good in the Hereafter, and defend us from the torment of the Fire."-(Holy Qur'an 2:201)

Bible
"...when Solomon had made an end of praying all this prayer and supplication unto the Lord, he arose from before the altar of the Lord, from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven."-(1 Kings 8:54)

Muslims around the world, and all the Prophets, including those that came before Muhammad (peace be upon them all) prayed in a similar way. We are merely following in their footsteps.

Peace.

DanEdge
12-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Greetings,

Solidified a date for visiting the local mosque, next Sunday. We'll get to see a sunset prayer! Iman has offered Q+A session before and after, along with a Faith and Values lesson. Correspondence with iman has been very cordial. Will report after the visit.

--Dan Edge

Muslim Woman
12-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Hello ,

it's wonderful to know that finally you are going to visit mosque and will observe how Muslims pray . What questions you are going to ask the Imam ? I hope , they will give you free Quran , Quran recitiation cd and u will have time to read and listen to Quran.

DanEdge
12-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Greetings,

I was thinking about questions, too. Since my girlfriend is Christian, daughter of a Christian preacher, I thought we might ask: What is the status of Jesus in Islam history? How are Jesus's teaching integrated into Islam teaching? She might also ask: what are the similarities/differences in how Islam teaches Values versus Christian values?

My preliminary questions: How did the Islamic Society of Greenville come to be. Where do y'all come from? What is your mission? Do y'all have special events that we could come see? Is there cultural food involved? What kind of gluten-free offerings do you make? Do you have social events where Muslims and non-Muslim can interact?

From my lady: How come she has to cover her head, while I get to wear a T-shirt if I want? (She gave me hell about this). Her daughter doesn't want to come for this reason.

I want to ask the iman about science questions :) But I think it will be better to focus the visit on education and learning about Muslim point of view. I don't want to ask about politics because I think that would be inappropriate and lead to the wrong conversation.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Muslim Woman
12-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Hi ,

wow , you have oceans of Questions . I hope , Imam will have time and patience :statisfie

To my knowledge , non Muslims women are not forced to wear veil when they visit mosque . I remember Princess Diana visited a mosqe wearing skirt :raging: . I think , a normal , modest ( long , loose dress without veil ) will be fine . But u may ask Imam . Also u may send your question list in advance . So that he can also supply you some authentic materials ( if possible ) .

DanEdge
12-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Greetings,

The Iman kindly sent me the dress code through email, so we know what to expect. I'm glad I posted my intentions on this website first, or we might have gone in blind. I have every confidence that it will be a cordial visit and we will make some friends.

--Dan Edge

GINGERBEARDMAN
12-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Greetings,

The Iman kindly sent me the dress code through email, so we know what to expect. I'm glad I posted my intentions on this website first, or we might have gone in blind. I have every confidence that it will be a cordial visit and we will make some friends.

--Dan Edge
Hi Dan,

It's good he replied, shows they have some outreach taking place at the Mosque, as a lot of just cultural unfortunately.

Just go along, enjoy your visit, be polite and I am sure they will reciprocate.

ardianto
12-08-2015, 12:38 AM
Hi Dan,

every place, every event, has its own dress code. When we are in recreation on Sunday, it's better if we wear casual dress like t-shirt. But when we attend wedding party, we should dress formally.

In visiting a mosque, women should dress modestly and cover her head. But non-Muslim women don't need to imitate Muslims. They can wear usual dress that modest. They don't need to wear "Muslim style headscarf", but they can wear babushka, or ordinary scarf.

Okay, see the photo below. Look how Michelle Obama dressed when she visited Istiqlal mosque in Jakarta.

Insaanah
12-11-2015, 04:42 PM
From my lady: How come she has to cover her head, while I get to wear a T-shirt if I want? (She gave me hell about this). Her daughter doesn't want to come for this reason.
Just some points to think about...

Sometimes you get occasions, such as weddings, or posh horse races etc, where ladies wear hats to match their outfit. They don't feel why should they have to wear one, why they should have to put something on their head, instead they enjoy it and the occasion.

When Christian women go to church, do they object to the picture or statue of Mary being with her hair covered?

Out of all the women in the world, Muslim women are the ones who most closely dress like/emulate the noble virgin Mary (peace be on her). Most depictions of her, even though of course wrong Islamically, are with her head covered.

Muslim men and women must dress modestly. Hijaab literally means 'to cover' and is generally used to refer to the covering a Muslim woman (Muslimah) adopts out of modesty when in public. It is one aspect out of a wider context of purity of thought and action for both men and women. This includes lowering one's gaze, avoiding free-mixing with the opposite gender, behaving in a proper manner in necessary interactions with the opposite gender, etc. Due to differences in temperament and nature between men and women, a greater degree of privacy is required for women. Hijaab protects a Muslimah - it is not a sign of authority of man over woman, nor of subjugation or oppression. A Muslimah's standards of modesty come from God, not from man, nor from society at large. And there is serenity and inner peace that comes from that.

Hope that explains a little bit. But please stick with whatever dress code your host gave.

Peace.

sister herb
12-11-2015, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
When Christian women go to church, do they object to the picture or statue of Mary being with her hair covered?
I am not sure about other churches but in my country Greek-Catholic women do cover their head when they go to the church and take part in the worship service. So, covering the head is not a thing what only Muslim women do.

greenhill
12-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Hi Dan,

Just read the thread. Wow! . . . . Or more appropriately, masha Allah .. your interest is piqued.

Unfortunately, the modest dress code in Christianity is now confined to the nunnery. For the Muslims (who practice) it is not confined to religious affairs but adopted as a way of life. While the Christians have accepted bikinis and stuff, Muslims (which means submitting to Allah), accepts that these commandments of His, have remained consistent from prophet to prophet and from Book to Book, culminating with the arrival of the Qur'an. We are not at liberty to change any bit of it but to follow the message that has been sent, learn along the way, truth following truth.

May you have a great journey into discovery :shade:

:peace:

misshijabi
12-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi Dan,

just read this post. And I want to personally thank you for this show of support. It is a difficult time for Muslims, and there is so much hate, and so many stories of abuse. Sometimes it is easy to lose hope and focus on the negative.

But it is support from people like you that gives us hope in humanity. This is one of the reasons I love living in US. Despite of there being so many haters, there are still people like you who show us support, kindness, stand up for us and fight for us alongside us against islamophobia and hate. The love, collaboration, coexistence, support is amazing to see among a diverse group of people. I have so much respect for people who don't believe everything they see in media, who think for themselves and go out and meet the actual people of faith.

As Mr. Rogers said, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

Insaanah
12-11-2015, 09:49 PM
What is the status of Jesus in Islam history?
Just a heads up on this one before you go:

Islam makes it an article of faith to believe in Jesus (peace be upon him). If a person calls himself a Muslim and doesn't believe in or respect Jesus (peace be upon him) then he is NOT a Muslim.

We believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was one of the mightiest messengers of God, who preached the same essential message that all the other messengers sent by God preached.

We believe that :

he was the messiah.
he was born miraculously of the noble virgin Mary (peace on her) without any male intervention.
he gave life to the dead with God's permission.
he healed those born blind and lepers with God's permission.
We do not believe that he was killed, crucified, nor died for anyones' sins. God took him from this earth miraculously.
We also do not believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) ever claimed divinity, or that he was God, son of God, part of a trinity, or that he said "Worship me".
We believe that he'll return to earth near the end of time.

We do not reject him (as Jews do), nor do we at the other end of the scale deify him (as Christians do). Muslims love and respect Jesus (peace be upon him) and believe in him as he was; one of the noblest and purest of humanity to ever walk the earth, and one of the greatest messengers of Allah, sent to the Children of Israel. Neither he, nor any other messenger, ever claimed divinity, or to be God's son. The message didn't suddenly change when it came to Jesus (peace on him), nor did he rebel against God and claim divinity for himself instead of or alongside God. He told people to worship Allah, "My Lord and your Lord".

And [beware the Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen.
I said not to them except what You commanded me - to worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them as long as I was among them; but when You took me up, You were the Observer over them, and You are, over all things, Witness." (Qur'an 5:116-117)

It is not for a human [prophet] that Allah should give him the Scripture and authority and prophethood and then he would say to the people, "Be worshippers of me rather than/apart from Allah," but [instead, he would say], "Be pious scholars of the Lord because of what you have taught of the Scripture and because of what you have studied."
Nor could he order you to take the angels and prophets as lords. Would he order you to disbelief after you had been Muslims? (Qur'an 3:79-80)

Peace.

DanEdge
12-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Greetings,

I introduced my lady to Islamic Board tonight. I had told her a lot about it, but tonight she read through this post and a bunch of other posts. She said she never realized how much Islam is like Christianity, and she commented on how kindly and welcoming all of you have been with me. And, she said she was proud of me for what I (we) are trying to do here :statisfie She agrees fully that we need to stand with our Muslim brothers and sisters in the purpose of peace. It meant so much to me.

She no longer cares about covering her head, but she asked me pointedly about what Muslims believe about woman's rights and equality. I guess we'll have to ask the iman about this. Though she could see from the posts that the ladies here are no intellectual lightweights. She saw strong women here. I agree.

See why I want this woman forever?

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

greenhill
12-12-2015, 09:06 AM
:statisfie... fyi, iman is faith and imam is the title given to the head of the congregational prayer or 'leader'.

DanEdge
12-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Greenhill,

What's the right word then? How do I address the preacher at the Mosque? I just called him Mr. [last name] over the phone...

--Dan Edge

greenhill
12-12-2015, 01:19 PM
It's fine to call him by name. There's no need to him by any title.

Just thought I'd differentiate for you the meaning of iman and imam. :D

Search
12-12-2015, 02:17 PM
:bism:

In-sha-Allah (God-willing) you and she feel happier for having been to the mosque.

Well, as a woman, I am so happy to be a Muslim woman. For example, many may not know this but women were excelling in religious and scholarly fields far before women were even though of as any kind of intellectual counterparts to men in the rest of the world. There's an online book available on this subject matter: Achievements of Women in the Religious and Scholarly Fields. Also, during the Caliphate of Umar r.a. (may Allah be pleased with him), in Medina, we have the first market inspector (muhtashib), a woman from among the Ansar, whose duty was to walk through the marketplace and ensuring that all dealings were done fairly. There were women on the battlefield in the time of Prophet Muhammad sallalahu alayhi wasallam (peace and blessings be upon him), and one that particularly comes to mind is Nasiba r.a. (may Allah be pleased with her) during the battle of Uhud when she defended Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasallam (peace and blessings be upon him) like a lioness and earned a deep wound in her shoulder that bled intermittently for one year.

So, tell Kat that Islam is a religion that affords equitable treatment to women, and honors women; I certainly feel afforded both.

Greetings,

I introduced my lady to Islamic Board tonight. I had told her a lot about it, but tonight she read through this post and a bunch of other posts. She said she never realized how much Islam is like Christianity, and she commented on how kindly and welcoming all of you have been with me. And, she said she was proud of me for what I (we) are trying to do here :statisfie She agrees fully that we need to stand with our Muslim brothers and sisters in the purpose of peace. It meant so much to me.

She no longer cares about covering her head, but she asked me pointedly about what Muslims believe about woman's rights and equality. I guess we'll have to ask the iman about this. Though she could see from the posts that the ladies here are no intellectual lightweights. She saw strong women here. I agree.

See why I want this woman forever?

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Insaanah
12-12-2015, 03:42 PM
she asked me pointedly about what Muslims believe about woman's rights and equality.
Firstly, welcome, greetings and warm wishes to your friend. It is nice that you have introduced her to this thread.

Now, as to the issue of women's rights, I guess first we have to define what equality is, what rights are, as they can mean different things to different people. Most people, will be conditioned by the societies, cultures, environments they live in, and the information they have been exposed to, as to what their views are on this. Many countries and societies, currently perceive themselves to be the pinnacles of championing and having achieved equal rights for women, and therefore think of themselves as the pinnacles of civilisation.

I guess in non-Muslim societies, or Western societies, a woman has to have exactly the same rights as a man, in order to have made it. I'll try and give just a few bits of info, and perhaps impart another way of looking at things.

In the Qur'an we have some chapters named after prophets. Those chapters are, Jonah, Joseph, (Hud - not mentioned in the Bible I think), Abraham, Noah, and Muhammad (peace on them all). Apart from that, we have a chapter, called Mary. An entire chapter of the Qur'an, named after the esteemed and noble mother of Jesus (peace be on them both), one of the best women to ever set foot on the face of this earth. Even apart from that, we have a chapter called Women. An entire chapter, called women. That in itself, even if nothing else was said, should say something about the position of women in Islam. I am not sure if any other religious book can say that.

According to the Holy Qur'an, men and women have the same human spiritual nature:

O mankind, fear your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women... (Quran, 4:1)

God has invested both genders with inherent dignity and has made men and women, collectively, the trustees of God on earth.

The Qur'an does not blame woman for the “fall of man,” nor does it view pregnancy and childbirth as punishments for “eating from the forbidden tree.” On the contrary, the Qur'an depicts Adam and Eve (peace be on them both) as equally responsible for eating from the tree, never singling out Eve for blame. Both repented, and both were forgiven (see the Qur'an 2:36-37 and 7:19-27). The Qur'an also esteems pregnancy and childbirth as sufficient reasons for the love and respect due to mothers from their children (Qur'an 31:14 and 46:15).

Men and women have the same religious and moral duties and responsibilities. Each human being shall face the consequences of his or her deeds:

And their Lord responded to them (saying): Never will I allow to be lost the work of (any) worker among you, whether male or female; you are of one another... (Qur'an, 3:195),

And whoever does righteous deeds, whether male or female, while being a believer - those will enter Paradise and will not be wronged, [even as much as] the speck on a date seed. (4:124)

On the Day you see the believing men and believing women, their light proceeding before them and on their right, [it will be said], "Your good tidings today are [of] gardens beneath which rivers flow, wherein you will abide eternally." That is what is the great attainment. (57:12)

See 33:35 in particular. It could have been much shorter if men and women were addressed collectively as believers, but look, Allah in every instance of deeds makes a point of mentioning both men and women:

Indeed, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the believing men and believing women, the obedient men and obedient women, the truthful men and truthful women, the patient men and patient women, the humble men and humble women, the charitable men and charitable women, the fasting men and fasting women, the men who guard their private parts and the women who do so, and the men who remember Allah often and the women who do so - for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a great reward.

The Qur'an is quite clear about the issue of the claimed superiority or inferiority of any human, male or female. The sole basis for superiority of any person over another is piety and righteousness - not gender, colour, or nationality:

O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female, and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. (Qur'an 49:13)

Another point to note, is that the wives of the Prophet Muhammad (peace, blessings, salutations of God be on him, and may God be pleased with them) never took his name on marriage, despite being married to the best man on earth, and neither did the other Muslim women take their husband's name. So his wife Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her), was never known as nor ever called herself, Aisha Muhammad. She was always known, when referred to by her name, as Aisha bint Abi Bakr (Aisha daughter of Abu Bakr). Khadija (may Allah be pleased with her), the first lady the Prophet married, was never known as Khadija Muhammad, but Khadija bint Khuwailid (Khadija, daughter of Khuwailid). The man you happened to be married to never came into it. You were always known as your father's daughter.

From what I have read, it seems that taking the husbands name as surname might have originated with the slave trade in some parts of the world, where slaves had to take their masters/owners surname, as you see among the Palmers and Williams among Afro Caribbeans. It indicated that the slave belonged to that master and was his property. They were deprived of their identity.

Referring to the 14th century Europe, England in particular:

Married women, however, were perceived to have no surname at all, since the Normans had also brought with them the doctrine of coverture, the legal principle that, upon marriage, a woman became her husband's possession. Her state of namelessness reflected this. In the words of one court in 1340, "when a woman took a husband, she lost every surname except 'wife of'".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29804450

Later on, this reasoning was changed on it's head because it didn't sound good, so then it was said that it was done to promote unity among the husband and wife, to show they are one.

In the 20th century, Western women such as Jane Grant were fighting for the most basic of rights, the right to keep their own names on marriage:

In 1921 Grant, along with Ruth Hale, founded the Lucy Stone League, which was dedicated, in the manner of Lucy Stone, to helping women keep their maiden names after marriage...
...with legal cases, mass meetings, signing into hotels openly, and going to Washington, D.C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Grant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_and_married_names

Muslim women were exercising this right from the 7th century. Nowadays, some western women choose to not take the name of the husbands family and choose to retain their own, as a symbol of modernity, or feminism or independence.

Continuing from the above bbc source (now referring to 15th century):

However, if there was one person in a marriage, that person was the husband. Married women still could not hold property, vote, or go to law. Legally, at the point of marriage they ceased to exist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29804450

Muslim women were given both entitlements and protection, and recognised as independent legal entities in their own right, over 1400 years ago, in the 7th century. Islam bestowed on them, the right to own their own property, and to dispose of it as they please, without anyone's permission. They had the right to give their consent to a marriage, or not. They had the right to go to court and obtain a dissolution of their marriage, if that became necessary. They were entitled to full financial support from their fathers, then husbands after marriage. They were guaranteed inheritance from close deceased relatives. They had the right to earn and keep their own money, provided that employment did not contravene Islamic guidelines. Muslim women and scholars were key in teaching and preserving Islam for the next generations. These are just a few things quickly for now.

Another point, is that while women in what I will loosely but perhaps incorrectly term "the west" just for convenience's sake, feel they have achieved equality and women's rights, have they really? What if there was another view, that turned everything on it's head? What if, those "rights" and that "equality", was borne out of an inferiority complex to begin with? What if, women in the west, felt they had no worth compared to men? And thus started this fight for "rights" which they feel they have now achieved? And on the other side of the coin, what if some women in the world, might view women in the west with pity, due to them having felt, and perhaps still feeling below par compared to men?

The following piece, by a Muslim woman, adapted and shortened from its original full text, is worth a read:

What we so often forget, is that God has honored the woman by giving her value in relation to God, not in relation to men. But as western feminism erases God from the scene, there are no standard left but men. As a result the western feminist is forced to find her value in relation to a man. And in so doing she has accepted a faulty assumption. She has accepted that man is the standard, and thus a woman can never be a full human being until she becomes just like a man - the standard.

When a man cut his hair short, she wanted to cut her hair short. When a man joined the army, she wanted to join the army. She wanted these things for no other reason than because the 'standard' had it. What she didn't recognize was that God dignifies both men and women in their distinctiveness - not their sameness.

On the other hand, only a woman can be a mother. And God has given special privilege to a mother. The Prophet taught us that heaven lies at the feet of mothers. But no matter what a man does he can never be a mother. So why is that not unfair?

When asked who is most deserving of our kind treatment? The Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) replied 'your mother' three times before saying 'your father' only once. Is that sexist? No matter what a man does he will never be able to have the status of a mother.

And yet even when God honors us with something uniquely feminine, we are too busy trying to find our worth in reference to men, to value it - or even notice. We too have accepted men as the standard; so anything uniquely feminine is, by definition, inferior. Being sensitive is an insult, becoming a mother - a degradation.

In the battle between stoic rationality (considered masculine) and self-less compassion (considered feminine), rationality reigns supreme.

As soon as we accept that everything a man has and does is better, all that follows is just a knee jerk reaction: if men have it - we want it too.

A Muslim woman does not need to degrade herself in this way. She has God as a standard. She has God to give her value; she doesn't need a man.

In fact, in our crusade to follow men, we, as women, never even stopped to examine the possibility that what we have is better for us. In some cases we even gave up what was higher only to be like men.

Fifty years ago, society told us that men were superior because they left the home to work in factories. We were mothers. And yet, we were told that it was women's liberation to abandon the raising of another human being in order to work on a machine. We accepted that working in a factory was superior to raising the Foundation of society - just because a man did it.

Then after working, we were expected to be superhuman - the perfect mother, the perfect wife, the perfect homemaker - and have the perfect career. And while there is nothing wrong, by definition, with a woman having a career, we soon came to realize what we had sacrificed by blindly mimicking men. We watched as our children became strangers and soon recognized the privilege we'd given up.

And so only now-given the choice-women in the West are choosing to stay home to raise their children.

It took women in the West almost a century of experimentation to realize a privilege given to Muslim women 1400 years ago.

Given my privilege as a woman, I only degrade myself by trying to be something I'm not - and in all honesty - don't want to be: a man. As women, we will never reach true liberation until we stop trying to mimic men, and value the beauty in our own God-given distinctiveness.

If given a choice between stoic justice and compassion, I choose compassion. And if given a choice between worldly leadership and heaven at my feet - I choose Heaven.
Some Muslim women who live in Western societies unfortunately feel apologetic about women's rights in Islam, because they view women's rights purely through how the media and society at large has portrayed them, and will say, I'm a Muslim woman, but it's ok, I'm a feminist! Or will incorrectly claim that our religion is feminist. Feminism is seen as liberation, independence, the ideal, the standard, something to aspire to. If the West has feminism, we must have it too, and are lacking without it. But it is borne out of that inferiority complex. And it stands for a skewing of things to a woman's position. Islam stands for balance, for justice. Thus there is no need for feminism in Islam nor is it something we aspire to. God gave us worth, entitlements and protection over 1400 years ago.

Men and women are not created the same. We have different but complementary temperaments, strengths and roles. We need to recognise and embrace and celebrate those.

There is more that can be said but I'll stop there for now. Don't know if that helps a little or has digressed, but I'll post it for now anyway.

Please do ask for any clarifications as required.

Peace.

Muslim Woman
12-12-2015, 04:06 PM
... she asked me pointedly about what Muslims believe about woman's rights and equality.,,

Hi ,

i find this article very useful for her .

Women In Islam Versus Women In The Judaeo-Christian Tradition: The Myth & The Reality

See also: http://protectedpearl.webs.com/women....htm#589210901

DanEdge
12-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Ma'am (Muslim Woman),

I greatly appreciate your thoughtful response. I'll have to read it a few more times, then may have a few questions in a new thread.

On reflection, I think woman's rights is too political a view to inquire about in our first meeting. We should keep it simple and positive.

--Dan Edge

DanEdge
12-13-2015, 06:32 AM
For those who pray:

Please keep our local Greenville imam in your thoughts. His wife lost her uncle this week.

Unfortunately due to this sad circumstance, I won't be able to meet the imam during this visit. Instead, it will be my pleasure to meet with his son and daughter-in-law. Looking forward to an enlightening cultural experience tomorrow.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

DanEdge
12-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Greetings,

Wasn't able to visit the Mosque toady, unfortunately. My girlfriend's bronchitis got worse, so we spent the afternoon at the doctor. I spoke to imam, and said I was all good, we can come visit next week when he's back in town.

--Dan Edge

Scimitar
12-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Bookmarked :) this is so awesome Dan Edge !!!

Scimi

Kori Harpoon
12-13-2015, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I am not sure about other churches but in my country Greek-Catholic women do cover their head when they go to the church and take part in the worship service. So, covering the head is not a thing what only Muslim women do.
Don't Russian women do that too?

Search
12-14-2015, 12:57 AM
:bism:

Greetings,

Wasn't able to visit the Mosque toady, unfortunately. My girlfriend's bronchitis got worse, so we spent the afternoon at the doctor. I spoke to imam, and said I was all good, we can come visit next week when he's back in town.

--Dan Edge
Hey, sorry to hear that. Hopefully, Kat feels better soon In-sha-Allah (God-willing).

Next week sounds just as awesome to me; plus, sometimes, we make plans, but only that happens which is God's will. So, In-sha-Allah (God-willing), all is good.

Wishing you and Kat well for your journey and a God-willing awesomely speedy recover for her,

DanEdge
01-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Greetings All,

I'm happy to report that we finally got to visit a Mosque for the first time yesterday. It was a very friendly and educational visit, and I like to think that we made some new friends.

First, my girlfriend and I met with the Imam, his son, and his daughter-in-law. The young lady was the leader of the talk, with the aid of a Powerpoint presentation and additional comments from the Imam. Even though I'd studied Islam a bit to prepare, I learned a lot in that short, 1-hour presentation.

Her first question for us was: Who was the first Muslim? Me and my lady both guessed Muhammad, but we were wrong! She explained that Adam was the first Muslim because he was the first to praise the one God and deliver his message. All the other prophets, from Adam to Muhammad, preached the same message, she explained. All those who worship only the one God, and follow the instructions of his prophets, are considered Muslims. Those who follow the instructions of previous prophets but do not acknowledge newer ones are People of the Book. God still loves them, but they do not see the full truth.

Kat was surprised at the parallels between Islam and Christianity. She was silent for most of the discussion, but she spoke up in response to the Imam's discussion of Jesus. The Imam said that Jesus's words were considered to be part of Islam, but that St. Pauls additions were not. She commented that she always found truth in the words of Jesus, but Paul's letters were not to her liking.

Our Q+A session was cut short because it was time for the evening prayer. The Imam left us to make the call to prayer, and we had a few more minutes to talk to his son and daughter-in-law. Then we were allowed to come into the main room and witness the prayer. It was explained that there would be a standard prayer x 3, then another Surah from the Imam of his choosing. After the standard prayer, all the participants went off on their own, praying in their own way. They would move to different parts of the room, speak or be silent, genuflect or not, as they chose.

After the prayer, our hosts had to leave (after giving us copies of the Qu'aran for free), but two other Muslims asked us to stay for tea. They made us hot tea and we sat down and chatted for a while. One of them was American, the other Egyptian. Both were very welcoming and thanked us for coming. I told the Egyptian that I had been trying to expose myself to Islam to help change my prejudiced feelings about them. He said he'd tried to do the same thing with Jews (with less success than I've had).

We were invited to come back any time, but especially later this month for their "Meet Your Neighbors" event. I remembered to ask if they had any events with Middle Eastern food, and the Imam said "Oh, yes!" :) So, come the end of this month, we will be returning to meet and eat and make more friends.

We both had a great time, and we look forward to going back. Thanks to all of you on IB who have made me feel welcome and have encouraged me on this journey of cultural enlightenment.

To the Best Within Us,

--Dan Edge

greenhill
01-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Glad you liked it. Interesting point about Jesus and Paul...

All the best for the next one at the end of the month. :shade:

MuslimahRo
02-06-2016, 04:25 AM
Good decision, Dan Edge. I am glad you decided to be open-minded and learn more about Islam and Muslims. Most Muslims are very nice and warm and friendly. We can't let a few bad ones ruin our image. You might also go to Islamic Centers and Meetups in your area. Local colleges and universities often have Islamic Centers if they have a number of Muslim students. They are usually open to the general public and often do iftar/breaking of fast and dinner and extended prayers in Ramadan. Also, Islam is not about just being "religious" and following rules--It's about feeling the faith/iman in one's spirit. Therefore, it's also about being spiritual. The best Muslims have mastered both. So keep an open mind. You have a purpose. You just have to discover it and embrace it. It's becoming more common among Westerners to say they are"not religious " and leave it at that. What I am saying is that there is more to your existence and you should never close yourself to Truth and experience.
There are some books about Islam and science. I will post the names later. There is also a book and site that discusses scientific verses in the Quran: A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam.

islamkingdom
02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
beautiful words

GINGERBEARDMAN
02-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Dan, did you go back for the meet the neighbours event?

Sounds like a very productive mosque, any chance sending us a link if they have a website so we can get some hints and tips?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.