/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 2015 writing contest launched

Insaanah
11-25-2015, 07:45 PM
:salam:

This thread officially launches this years writing contest. Jazaakumullah khayr for your patience and for waiting so long.

Rules are as per last year, posted here again:

Stories can be about any topic, theme or genre, but must not conflict with forum rules.

Stories must be the entrant's own work and must be in English.

Each entrant may submit only one story.

Stories cannot have been posted already on this forum.

Stories cannot use existing characters e.g. your story cannot be about the adventures of Batman and Robin.

Stories can be any length, but no longer than 5,000 words - this is a limit not a target.

Do not post your story here or anywhere else on the forum (or anything to do with your story), as the contest is supposed to be anonymous. Not the genre, not the title and not even one sentence of it.

The deadline is tentatively 31st January 2016 - this is the last day on which entries shall be accepted. However, there is leeway to extend this if necessary.

Stories should be submitted by Private Message to the Host - sister Insaanah. She will then create the thread for the entries, and post the entries there, once they've all been submitted and the deadline has passed. The host cannot participate in the contest, and cannot vote (as he/she will know who has written what).

Stories can be edited and formatted etc however the author chooses before submission, but the Host will not alter or reformat the story once it has been submitted

If you have any further suggestions, please share them.

The parameters are really wide. Read through some of the previous entries to see how wide those parameters are. We've had dramas, crime thrillers, horror, action-adventure, cute stories, and stories with morals etc.

To all: be sure to check out this thread (Writing Tips) http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ting-tips.html and by all means feel free to read previous contests. Also feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the competition on this thread.

Take your time and make your entry the best it can be; really let your creativity loose.

I thank brothers Muezzin and aamirsaab for their contributions to the previous discussion threads, some of which I have adapted or copied in this post.

Let the writing begin! Wishing all contestants (and everyone else of course), the best.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
11-26-2015, 02:19 AM
is this thread stickied?

Insaanah
11-26-2015, 06:59 PM
^ Yes, it has been now.

I have received one entry already... get those creative juices flowing!

T L
11-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Salaam
A question or two, does the story need to carry a specific context? Or can it really be about ANYTHING?
I also wanted to know if there is an equivalent competition but for poetry?

JazakAllah Khair

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
11-27-2015, 08:13 PM
:wasalam:

As per the contest rules, and as long as it does not violate the forum rules located here: http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php

If you are in any doubt about the theme of your story, please send me a private message to check, and I'll let you know.

We did have a poetry competition before, and we will try to have one :ia:, possibly after this one, but watch this space...

T L
11-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Jazak'Allah Khair
I think i'll wait for the poetry one! :D

Insaanah
12-24-2015, 08:29 PM
It's not too late to start writing a story. And for those who have started, hope it's going well...

Insaanah
01-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Two weeks to go....

Mashura
01-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh,
Can it be written as a poem?

Mashura
01-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Oh will they have one?

Insaanah
01-20-2016, 04:36 PM
:wasalam: dear sister, and belated welcome to the forum,

We had a poetry competition in 2014, and :ia: will try to have one this year, but it will be sometime after the story writing competition has finished, so as not to confuse things.

In the meantime, there are some poems in the creative writing and art section here: http://www.islamicboard.com/creative-writing-and-art/

and the entries for the last poetry competition are here: http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ntries.htmlare

Mashura
01-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Jazak Allaahu khairan in.shaa.Allaah I will checkout

Insaanah
01-24-2016, 01:52 PM
One week to go!
Do participants think they'll be ready on time?
You can PM me if you don't want to disclose your participation here.

Muezzin
01-28-2016, 09:43 PM
I've entered, woohoo :)

Insaanah
01-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Last day to submit stories is tomorrow (31st Jan)....

Insaanah
01-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Today is the last day entries shall be accepted...

Insaanah
02-01-2016, 04:32 PM
The deadline has now passed, and there was no expression of need to extend it.

Thank you to both members who participated, though it would be nice to have more entries for the next competition.

Entries can be found here - this thread is for voting only, not for any comments or discussion:

http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...ease-vote.html

This thread is for all comments and discussion pertaining to the stories:

http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...on-thread.html

Please do have a read, and vote.

This thread is now closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.