/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My journey so far

Hamza :)
12-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Salam.

Well this is not really a journey tbh, more like procrastination and slacking from my side.

I have been wanting to create a forum for some time and need some help in it.

How do you make one? Vbulletin is way too expensive for a start, other ideas? How do you get traffic?

فرحان@

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
12-11-2015, 08:00 PM
:wa:

First of all read this post, :ia: it will be helpful: http://www.islamicboard.com/business...mic-forum.html

And here's someone on the similar journey as you :D: http://www.islamicboard.com/business...rum-admin.html

format_quote Originally Posted by AbulUthman
How do you make one? Vbulletin is way too expensive for a start, other ideas?
Well first of all you can start using a free forum software and then migrate over to vBulletin later. Or you can choose something like Xenforo or phpBB.

To make it simple as possible try using this: http://www.forumotion.com/

They will host for you and give you a domain name too. Go on the website and sign up. Then update me with your progress :).

How do you get traffic?
Once you have completed the first steps we can then go onto this.

12-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Any suggestions on how to describe your forum?

strivingobserver98
12-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Any suggestions on how to describe your forum?
Well we already have a tagline on IslamicBoard. But before having the tagline, we had a major brainstorming session. I'll share them here exclusive. Inspiration for you :). Once you have the tagline it can be more easy to describe it.

Other forum taglines (From other forums)
- The Online Muslim Community
- A site dedicated to the blessed global islamic awakening
- A resource for the propagation of authentic islamic teachings
- Connect and Share with Muslims from around the world
- Reviving the spirit of Islam
- Muslim forum
- Knowledge and realisation
- Home of the Australian muslims
- Inform Enlighten Empower

Ideas for tagline for IslamicBoard
- Your islamic pathway to knowledge.
- Interact, discuss and share islam.
- Where muslims meet.
- Online Muslim community that promotes Islamic teachings
- Discussion Forums for Muslims and non-Muslims alike
- Discover Islam and connect with Muslims
- Connecting with muslims globally
- Online platform for muslims
- Muslim network
- Muslim platform for islamic discussions

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
12-11-2015, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Well we already have a tagline on IslamicBoard. But before having the tagline, we had a major brainstorming session. I'll share them here exclusive. Inspiration for you :). Once you have the tagline it can be more easy to describe it.

Other forum taglines (From other forums)
- The Online Muslim Community
- A site dedicated to the blessed global islamic awakening
- A resource for the propagation of authentic islamic teachings
- Connect and Share with Muslims from around the world
- Reviving the spirit of Islam
- Muslim forum
- Knowledge and realisation
- Home of the Australian muslims
- Inform Enlighten Empower

Ideas for tagline for IslamicBoard
- Your islamic pathway to knowledge.
- Interact, discuss and share islam.
- Where muslims meet.
- Online Muslim community that promotes Islamic teachings
- Discussion Forums for Muslims and non-Muslims alike
- Discover Islam and connect with Muslims
- Connecting with muslims globally
- Online platform for muslims
- Muslim network
- Muslim platform for islamic discussions

And descriptions?

strivingobserver98
12-11-2015, 08:36 PM
And descriptions?
That doesn't have to be long, 100-150 words will do. Think about what your forum wants to achieve? What are your forum goals? What is the purpose of this forum? Thinking about those questions should help you construct a great description :).

TMGuide
12-12-2015, 01:55 AM
Another important question you should Ask yourself is how will you be different? What can we benefit from on your platform that we can't find on other forums?

This might perhaps give you an idea of the direction (niche) you want to go into and from there how to discribe the platform might be allot easier inshaa Allah.

12-14-2015, 06:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TMGuide
Another important question you should Ask yourself is how will you be different? What can we benefit from on your platform that we can't find on other forums?

This might perhaps give you an idea of the direction (niche) you want to go into and from there how to discribe the platform might be allot easier inshaa Allah.
This is a really good idea jazakillah khayr

eesa the kiwi
12-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Il be a mod for you bro

BilalKid
12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
Il be a mod for you bro
me 3 :nervous:

sister herb
12-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Salam alaykum

As the years experience of keeping up different kind of forums, I can say that the biggest job when create new one is to keep your forum active. At the first there might be a lot of activity when your friends join and ask others to join too but after some months (or years) many new forums become slowly of activity and sooner or later they will "die". Also, don´t remain to mourn if this will happens to yours one. Accept what happened, think what you learnt from your experience - and try again.

Greetings from ex-mod/ex-admin/ex-founder of many late forums. ;D

12-14-2015, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
Il be a mod for you bro
haha thanks man. It ain't the same without vbulletin tho. Might as well make a vbulletin forum one day inshaAllah, and make you a mod :D

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Salam alaykum

As the years experience of keeping up different kind of forums, I can say that the biggest job when create new one is to keep your forum active. At the first there might be a lot of activity when your friends join and ask others to join too but after some months (or years) many new forums become slowly of activity and sooner or later they will "die". Also, don´t remain to mourn if this will happens to yours one. Accept what happened, think what you learnt from your experience - and try again.

Greetings from ex-mod/ex-admin/ex-founder of many late forums. ;D
That's so true, I'm such a slacker *smack* There's only one thread on my forum so far, and it doesn't look nice at all :(

why "ex" tho?

strivingobserver98
12-14-2015, 11:25 AM
haha thanks man. It ain't the same without vbulletin tho. Might as well make a vbulletin forum one day inshaAllah, and make you a mod
I might be able to get you the $300 vBulletin for extremely cheap or free. I'll check with my contacts and let you know :ia:.

sister herb
12-14-2015, 11:40 AM
https://www.proboards.com/

From ProBroads you can get free forum.

sister herb
12-14-2015, 11:42 AM
why "ex" tho?
"Ex", because many of those forums have passed away - mostly because a lack of activity. Better luck to your forum.

strivingobserver98
12-14-2015, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
"Ex", because many of those forums have passed away - mostly because a lack of activity. Better luck to your forum.
I reckon you will be a good admin too. Don't be afraid to try again. I'll be here to support/assistance if needed.

Or maybe become mod on the OP's forum.

We need more Islamic forums iA :).

sister herb
12-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Never mind, I am super mod in one forum right now. Not very active that too but it keeps my moderation skills updated.

strivingobserver98
12-15-2015, 10:36 AM
@AbulUthman

I managed to find one for $100, you interested?

A vBulletin 4 license.

01-03-2016, 07:33 AM
:sl:

How do I make $150 for the forum?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.