/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is eating with your fingers Healthier?

strivingobserver98
12-16-2015, 08:35 PM
:sl:

Wow interesting article. Let your knife and fork friends know :D.

What do you think? Is this true? Also it's recommended to eat with fingers..

6 – Eating with three fingers. The Sunnah is to eat with three fingers; eating with more than three fingers is a sign of greed and is bad manners, because there is no need for more than three in order to gather up a morsel. If it is necessary to use more than three, because the food is light and cannot be gathered in three fingers, then he may use the fourth or fifth.
See Fath al-Baari, 9/578

https://islamqa.info/en/13348

This certainly sounds strange and rude way of eating and surely many people will find it unattractive. However, this so called “rude” way of eating is much healthier and believe it or not it can protect you from certain health conditions.

Prevention of Diabetes Type 2

People who eat fast are at higher risk of developing diabetes type 2. Generally, if you use fork and knife you eat much faster than eating with your hands. Therefore, sometimes it is better to eat “rude” whenever you can.

Moreover, you can only have a piece of chips when you eat with your hands, while with your fork you can pick up 5-6. Also, you will eat much slower with your hands than with a fork.

Digestion Improvement

It may sound strange, but eating with your fingers can improve digestion as well because when you wash your hands with soap, all the bad bacteria are removed while the good bacteria remain on your hands which can be very healthy for your gut.

Also, eating with your fingers sends signal to the brain about the food whether it is solid or soft, hot or cold, and it prepares the digestive system for digesting food.

Prevents Overeating

People who eat with hands have healthier body weight because they do not eat too much. This can be especially good for children, if their parents allow them to eat with hands of course. This is the considered as the safest way to maintain normal weight.

Moreover, people who while eating are doing something else as well, such as watching TV, eat more food than those who sit normally on table and eat.

When you eat with both hands, you are not able to do anything else meanwhile because your hands are not clean or busy. Therefore, you are focused only on the process of eating and you will know how much food you have eaten and when it is time to stop.

Source: healthierwayoflife.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
12-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

More often than not i eat with my hands. Alhamdulilah.

I think with obesity on the rise more people should take heed and start eating with their fingers.

Even the icons are following the sunnah >> :popcorn:

:D

Alhamdulilah.

May Allah swt save us from overeating Ameen.

HappyMuslimaa
12-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Jazakallah khayr very interesting

sister herb
12-16-2015, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Even the icons are following the sunnah >> :popcorn:
Yes, interesting article but have you ever eaten popcorns by spoon or fork? ^o)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lonewolf007
12-16-2015, 11:17 PM
subhan'Allah

ardianto
12-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Just curious. Do people in the West use fork and knife when eating fried chicken and french fries in KFC?.

HappyMuslimaa
12-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Nope, sometimes if it's off the bone I've seen people use forks and knives. There's always an oddball though.
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Just curious. Do people in the West use fork and knife when eating fried chicken and french fries in KFC?.

HappyMuslimaa
12-17-2015, 07:22 AM
Don't know why it looks crossed out ^o)

umairlooms
12-17-2015, 07:58 AM
There might be a behavioral aspect to eating with fingers, but come on. Eating with fingers is not a belief. Following the prophet is a belief and one might want to adopt a habit for his love, but in and of itself. not really.

sister herb
12-17-2015, 09:28 AM
I do use fork when I eat french fries. I don´t want to mess my fingers with ketchup and pickle salad. I think its quite cultural thing how to eat. When I have been in the Middle East, forks weren´t needed as people used that thin bread when they ate. But our bread here is different and its not as useful with eating.

T L
12-17-2015, 09:41 AM
I think people should be allowed to eat however they like. I always find it strange how when you go to pizza places, they expect you to eat with a fork and knife lolll, so silly. As long as you have basic table manners and not go overboard with literally scooping food with your entire hand (like I've seen at many weddings lol) it's all good!

Moshy
12-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much.

Quran (Surah Al-Ahzab, Verse 21)

Linkdeutscher
12-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Well I know for sure it makes the food tastier!

sister herb
12-17-2015, 06:39 PM
If eating slowly is healthier then it´s same do we use hands, knife and fork (or spoon) or chopsticks. We just need to be more patient to chew our food slowly and carefully.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.