/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why pork is haram

SofiaMonroe
01-02-2016, 01:54 AM
People constantly ask Muslims "why is pork haram?" They claim something so "tasty" shouldn't be forbidden. (I put "tasty" in quotes because I ate it before becoming Muslim. It's salty and gross and I promise you aren't missing out on anything.)
Science actually supports pork being banned. The World Cancer Research Fund’s cancer report says pork causes the most cancer out of all types of meat! Plus pork tapeworms tend to take up residency in the brain. Ew.

Oh, and did you know arsenic is fed to pigs?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mr.President
01-02-2016, 03:58 AM
Reeasons may be true and its good to tell someone "so and so pork haram" at the same time the simplest form of reply is islam is about "submission to allah what ever allah forbids we hear and we obey" thats our foundation same thing can be applied to many questions,

I know people may not be satisified with the answer but what can i do its the truth

And theres no wrong in saying all the scientific research about pork

greenhill
01-02-2016, 04:14 AM
From what I gather, it's bacon that's hard to give up.. not so much ham and stuff.

:peace:

DanEdge
01-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Greetings,

I always thought the prohibition of pork and other foods had to do with specific health risks at the time the laws were written. Eg., a rash of swine flu disease. Processed pork is not good for you, so they say, but fresh lean pork is a white meat and a good source of protein.

--Dan Edge

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Hi DanEdge, there's plenty of other source of protein.

MuslimInshallah
01-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Mmm... I agree with Mr President. It is my understanding that Allah has Given us a set of guidelines that we must live by in this world. It is not necessarily that something is unhealthy or inherently evil or something, but that it is something that God has asked us to not indulge in.

(meditatively) I got this understanding from reading about the Prophet Adam (AS) and his spouse. They were told not to partake of a particular tree. Not because the tree had anything special about it (that insinuation was just Satan's whispers), but because it was a test to see if they would respect God's Command. And a test of whether they could repent and humbly turn back to God.

While it is interesting to consider how a particular injunction or another might be beneficial for us, it seems to me that this should be more of a side issue. What is important is that we try to understand Allah's Guidance, and try to apply it to our lives.

(smile) Well, at least, that is my understanding.

May God, the Loving Creator, Strengthen us in our struggles to surrender to His Will.

ardianto
01-02-2016, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DanEdge
Greetings,

I always thought the prohibition of pork and other foods had to do with specific health risks at the time the laws were written. Eg., a rash of swine flu disease. Processed pork is not good for you, so they say, but fresh lean pork is a white meat and a good source of protein.

--Dan Edge
Greeting Dan.

Many non-Muslims eat pork, but they still healthy. So, the prohibition of eating pork for Muslims is not because health reason, but because Allah forbid it.

As Muslim I cannot eat pork. But I don't see it as problem because there are many halal (permissible) meats that I can eat such as beef, chicken, duck, etc. So, if halal choices are available, why should I eat something that haram (impermissible) for me?. Alhamdulillah, the same principle helped me to stop drinking alcohol that also haram for Muslims. Now I only drink coffee, juice, and other halal drinks.

:)

InToTheRain
01-02-2016, 05:24 PM
:salam:

My mother informed me that in a book she read about Noah(AS) it mentioned the Pig used to eat the faeces of animals to keep the place clean. Any one else read this? She read it in an old Bengali book about Prophets(AS). The book was called "Tazikarut Ambiah".

M.I.A.
01-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Think the reason is with Allah swt rather than science.

Jews, Christians and Muslims all forbid it.

Ammar67
01-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Hi Dan,

Many recipes that call for pork can be easily substituted with either turkey or chicken.

I make Southern biscuits & gravy with ground turkey and butter; it's about the same with the right seasoning. Alhamdulillah, no more Bob Evans.

hisnameiszzz
01-02-2016, 09:00 PM
This question indeed is asked quite often. I can't answer it for I don't know the reasons but as I am vegetarian, all meat is out of bounds for me.

A lot of places do halal ham and halal bacon these days. I wonder what that is. Sorry to derail op.

Iceee
01-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Salaam Sister SofiaMonroe,

format_quote Originally Posted by SofiaMonroe
Science actually supports pork being banned. The World Cancer Research Fund’s cancer report says pork causes the most cancer out of all types of meat! Plus pork tapeworms tend to take up residency in the brain. Ew.

Oh, and did you know arsenic is fed to pigs?
Unfortunately, I am too late and your question has already been answered and / or advise given by our wonderful brothers and sisters. But please remember that we should respect other peoples beliefs and refrain from saying something like what you mentioned above (in quotes). Just tell them that Allah forbids it (Quran), and leave it at that. Anything else added could spark some fuel and will hurt someone. If we respect other people and their beliefs, Inshallah they will respect not only you but the religion of Islam as well. May Allah continue to guide us.

Scimitar
01-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Pigs provide a function to society in that they eat what we throw away, they eat all manner of rotting things which, if left to nature, would cause air borne diseases such as plagues.

God created the pig as a means to regulate the earth via it eating away all the disease.

God specifically instructs those who believe in HIM not to eat the swine (pig) because it is an impure animal - the reasons are now obvious why.

Pigs eat the rubbish which cause bacteria and spread diseases which cause epidemics. The pig helps to halt the spread of such things. it has a place and purpose in the world.

If anything, it has a rather humble role on earth - to eat the rubbish no other animals will come near. Yes it's a dirty animal, but that is its "fitra" - the natural state Allah created it in - for the very purpose I mentioned above.

If it is disgraced, it is because we humans are judgemental fools.

We cannot eat a pig though, because of the illnesses it contains. So many diseases are mulitiplied as potential illnesses to take root in the one who digests the pig meat. The pig cannot sweat, it has no sweat glands - so all its dirty sweat is contained within the body. Its digestive system is too quick, and so what it eats ends up in the blood system of the animal and then gets pumped around the body, it is an hardy animal that can handle that condition - but for humans to eat it would be quite the dumb thing to do.

And Allah wants only the best for us human beings.

Is this the only argument? There are scientific reasons recently discovered in our times as to why consuming the flesh of a pig is bad for us humans.

With regard to the physical harm caused by eating pork, modern science has proved a number of things, such as the following:

‎Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol, an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation, when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are difficult to treat.

‎ Eating pork leads to scabies, allergies and stomach ulcers.

‎ Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and microbial infections of the lungs.

The most serious danger of eating pork is that pork contains tapeworms which may grow to a length of 2-3 meters. The growth of the eggs of these worms in the human body may lead to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the area of the brain. If they grow in the region of the heart that may lead to high blood pressure and heart attacks. Another kind of worm that is to be found in pork is the trichinosis worm that cannot be killed by cooking, the growth of which in the body may lead to paralysis and skin rashes.

The doctors have confirmed that tapeworm disease is regarded as one of the serious diseases that may result from eating pork. It may develop in the small intestine and after several months may grow into a large worm whose body is composed of a thousand segments, with a length of 4-10 meters, which lives alone in the intestine of the infected person and part of it may appear when he defecates. When the pig swallows and ingests its eggs, they enter the tissues and muscles in the form of larvae sacs containing fluid and the head of the tapeworm. When a person eats infected pork, the larva turns into a complete worm in the intestine. These worms cause weakness and vitamin B12 deficiency, which leads to a specific type of anaemia, which may in turn cause nervous problems. In some cases the larvae may reach the brain, causing convulsions, increased pressure within the brain, epilepsy and even paralysis.

Eating pork that is not thoroughly cooked may also lead to trichinosis (infestation with a hairlike nematode worm). When these parasites reach the small intestine, three to five days later many larvae appear which enter the intestine and reach the blood, from which they reach most of the tissues of the body. The larvae move to the muscles and form cysts there, and the patient suffers intense muscle pains. The disease may develop into infection of the cerebral membrane and brain, and infections of the heart muscle, lungs, kidneys and nerves. It may be a fatal disease in rare cases.

It is well known that there are some diseases that are unique to humans and are nor shared with any other animals except pigs, such as rheumatism and joint pain. Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

"He has forbidden you only the Maytah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah (or has been slaughtered for idols, on which Allah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" - Qur'an, Surah al-Baqarah 2:173

These are some of the harmful effects of eating pork. Perhaps after studying them you will not have any doubts that it is forbidden. We hope that this will be the first step in your being guided towards the true religion. So stop, research, look and think, objectively and fairly, seeking only to find out the truth and follow it. I ask Allah to guide you to that which is best for you in this world and in the Hereafter.

But even if we did not know about the harmful effects of eating pork, this would not change our belief that it is haram (unlawful) in the slightest, or weaken our resolve to abstain from it. You know that when Adam (peace be upon him) was expelled from the Garden, it was because he ate from the tree from which Allah forbade him to eat. We do not know anything about that tree, and Adam did not need to enquire into the reason why it was forbidden to eat from it. Rather it was sufficient for him, as it is sufficient for us and for every believer, to know that Allah has forbidden it.

Scar

M.I.A.
01-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Wow I stand corrected lol.

Were pigs really used in such capacity?

...is it still a thing?

Although it must have been to actually be included in the Quran.

...I may have to concede this one lol

Although the only rebuttal I would have is most waste can be reduced to compost...except bones maybe.

:/

greenhill
01-03-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm told an interesting story...

The pig was created for Noah on his ark to do the work as Scimi (now Timi Scar) pointed out... so the pig ate up the unwanted stuff and then the dogs licked up the remains... hence why both are considered unclean.

SofiaMonroe
01-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Sorry, but I'm not sure how I'm disrespecting anyone's beliefs.. It's proven pork causes cancer. If someone is hurt but something such as this, I can't help it. And it's not like I got it from an Islamic site.

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Salaam Sister SofiaMonroe,

Unfortunately, I am too late and your question has already been answered and / or advise given by our wonderful brothers and sisters. But please remember that we should respect other peoples beliefs and refrain from saying something like what you mentioned above (in quotes). Just tell them that Allah forbids it (Quran), and leave it at that. Anything else added could spark some fuel and will hurt someone. If we respect other people and their beliefs, Inshallah they will respect not only you but the religion of Islam as well. May Allah continue to guide us.

M.I.A.
01-03-2016, 09:12 AM
lol well i guess now there really is no winning that one.

....il go back to my cave.

Or to my full time job of shoveling..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQdjwliLMA

keiv
01-03-2016, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain
:salam:

My mother informed me that in a book she read about Noah(AS) it mentioned the Pig used to eat the faeces of animals to keep the place clean. Any one else read this? She read it in an old Bengali book about Prophets(AS). The book was called "Tazikarut Ambiah".
format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
Pigs provide a function to society in that they eat what we throw away, they eat all manner of rotting things which, if left to nature, would cause air borne diseases such as plagues.

God created the pig as a means to regulate the earth via it eating away all the disease.

God specifically instructs those who believe in HIM not to eat the swine (pig) because it is an impure animal - the reasons are now obvious why.

Pigs eat the rubbish which cause bacteria and spread diseases which cause epidemics. The pig helps to halt the spread of such things. it has a place and purpose in the world.

If anything, it has a rather humble role on earth - to eat the rubbish no other animals will come near. Yes it's a dirty animal, but that is its "fitra" - the natural state Allah created it in - for the very purpose I mentioned above.

If it is disgraced, it is because we humans are judgemental fools.

We cannot eat a pig though, because of the illnesses it contains. So many diseases are mulitiplied as potential illnesses to take root in the one who digests the pig meat. The pig cannot sweat, it has no sweat glands - so all its dirty sweat is contained within the body. Its digestive system is too quick, and so what it eats ends up in the blood system of the animal and then gets pumped around the body, it is an hardy animal that can handle that condition - but for humans to eat it would be quite the dumb thing to do.

Is this the only argument? There are scientific reasons recently discovered in our times as to why consuming the flesh of a pig is bad for us humans.

With regard to the physical harm caused by eating pork, modern science has proved a number of things, such as the following:

‎Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol, an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation, when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are difficult to treat.

‎ Eating pork leads to scabies, allergies and stomach ulcers.

‎ Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and microbial infections of the lungs.

The most serious danger of eating pork is that pork contains tapeworms which may grow to a length of 2-3 meters. The growth of the eggs of these worms in the human body may lead to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the area of the brain. If they grow in the region of the heart that may lead to high blood pressure and heart attacks. Another kind of worm that is to be found in pork is the trichinosis worm that cannot be killed by cooking, the growth of which in the body may lead to paralysis and skin rashes.

The doctors have confirmed that tapeworm disease is regarded as one of the serious diseases that may result from eating pork. It may develop in the small intestine and after several months may grow into a large worm whose body is composed of a thousand segments, with a length of 4-10 meters, which lives alone in the intestine of the infected person and part of it may appear when he defecates. When the pig swallows and ingests its eggs, they enter the tissues and muscles in the form of larvae sacs containing fluid and the head of the tapeworm. When a person eats infected pork, the larva turns into a complete worm in the intestine. These worms cause weakness and vitamin B12 deficiency, which leads to a specific type of anaemia, which may in turn cause nervous problems. In some cases the larvae may reach the brain, causing convulsions, increased pressure within the brain, epilepsy and even paralysis.

Eating pork that is not thoroughly cooked may also lead to trichinosis (infestation with a hairlike nematode worm). When these parasites reach the small intestine, three to five days later many larvae appear which enter the intestine and reach the blood, from which they reach most of the tissues of the body. The larvae move to the muscles and form cysts there, and the patient suffers intense muscle pains. The disease may develop into infection of the cerebral membrane and brain, and infections of the heart muscle, lungs, kidneys and nerves. It may be a fatal disease in rare cases.

It is well known that there are some diseases that are unique to humans and are nor shared with any other animals except pigs, such as rheumatism and joint pain. Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

"He has forbidden you only the Maytah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah (or has been slaughtered for idols, on which Allah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" - Qur'an, Surah al-Baqarah 2:173

These are some of the harmful effects of eating pork. Perhaps after studying them you will not have any doubts that it is forbidden. We hope that this will be the first step in your being guided towards the true religion. So stop, research, look and think, objectively and fairly, seeking only to find out the truth and follow it. I ask Allah to guide you to that which is best for you in this world and in the Hereafter.

But even if we did not know about the harmful effects of eating pork, this would not change our belief that it is haram (unlawful) in the slightest, or weaken our resolve to abstain from it. You know that when Adam (peace be upon him) was expelled from the Garden, it was because he ate from the tree from which Allah forbade him to eat. We do not know anything about that tree, and Adam did not need to enquire into the reason why it was forbidden to eat from it. Rather it was sufficient for him, as it is sufficient for us and for every believer, to know that Allah has forbidden it.

Scar
First time I've ever read that. Thanks for the info

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.