/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Marrying your cousin in the West

anonymous
01-22-2016, 11:36 PM
What is the general view Muslims who live in the West have about this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The-Deist
01-23-2016, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
My view is nope.

New 1
01-24-2016, 01:53 PM
AFAIK Mostly Indian (+Bangla) and Pakistani Muslims merry their own 1st cousin, not sure about others.

ReboundMuslimah
01-24-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't agree with it- there are 7 billion people in the world, c'mon it's not hard to find someone.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
01-24-2016, 09:16 PM
I don´t think it´s common with revert Muslims in the West. Many times, when you revert to Islam, you then are the only Muslim in your family and among of the relatives plus sometimes it´s not generally admitted habit. Like in here, it´s legal but mostly people think it´s not normal to marry a cousin.

hisnameiszzz
01-24-2016, 09:23 PM
This is normal, or should I say, used to be normal in Indian and Pakistani families in the UK.

The nice ish next door neighbours are both first cousins who got married.

All my Pakistani colleagues at work married their first cousins also.

It's less likely to happen in this day and age but it does happen.

Are you intending on marrying a cousin?

keiv
01-24-2016, 11:47 PM
Even though there are Muslims who, for whatever reason, are against it, it is in fact permissible.

Cousin marriages and relationships between Muslims and even non Muslims are in fact more common than most people think. I'm of Palestinian decent and it happens all the time both at home and here in the west. There are American non Muslims who are even into that and there are websites even dedicated to it as well. A lot of people probably don't talk about it out of fear of being judged. Who knows..

PS - I'm not married just in case anyone thought I was being bias or something lol

azc
01-27-2016, 10:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
It's permitted in Islam and Islam is for all, east or west has nothing to do with it

sister herb
01-27-2016, 10:55 AM
It might be the easy way to the families - they know the background of this person and his/hers habits and characters much better than someone outside. But at the same time it makes it harder to marry someone from other ethnic group. There is no racism in Islam but it may strengthen someone´s prejudices against other races or backgrounds.

HappyMuslimaa
01-29-2016, 11:02 PM
it's actually illegal to marry a first cousin in some US states

New 1
01-30-2016, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamchaser
I don't agree with it- there are 7 billion people in the world, c'mon it's not hard to find someone.
ha ha same here sister.

sister herb
01-30-2016, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HappyMuslimaa
it's actually illegal to marry a first cousin in some US states
That´s a good point. We need to respect laws of the country we live. As marrying the first cousin isn´t obligatory in Islam (but we can marry also someone else), we can skip this if its against the laws.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.