PDA

View Full Version : What people regret the most?



sister herb
02-03-2016, 01:11 PM
A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."


http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...s-of-the-dying


Could we learn from olders and stop to think what we really want from the life - now and not when life is almost over?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
02-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."
This is soooooo true. My biggest problem that I already regret about my life. I honestly hope I can change this..
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."
This holds true for many. Honestly if we think of the best moments and best memories of our lives, they are mostly those that we spent with our loved ones.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."
Happiness really is a choice. I'll try to smile more often from now on, even during hardships, inshaAllah. :) :) :)
Reply

M.I.A.
02-03-2016, 06:57 PM
I don't know, Allah swt creates mankind in toil.

I work 80hrs a week.

Some of my earlier posts have me complaining about being out of work for years.

...beggers can't be choosers.

But one things for sure, if we ask for something then its the care happiness and wellbeing of our families.

...my regret is changing for a world that does not change.. It seems the heedless are the most successful.. And they always have the last word.


Maybe I was like that once.


Believe in destiny but figured out to late that you still have to cut the hands of thieves.

C+
Reply

colinberry1
09-01-2016, 04:57 PM
I regret ever trusting Jews to help us with our case, all I can say now is never trust a Jew or pay the price that we have.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
M.I.A.
09-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by colinberry1
I regret ever trusting Jews to help us with our case, all I can say now is never trust a Jew or pay the price that we have.
not sure about Jews.. most of my greatest...antagonists have been the people I know.

we are all things to all people.

nice to see another six months gone by..

I live a strange life, when they put me here a man said.. this is your life now, no football.. no chillin and God knows what else..

ironically I feel it is the life he escaped.

for every winner there are probably several losers.

data limit nowadays so I don't even chase cars.

..a part of me hopes they bury me before I have to bury any of them.. it is a selfish ideal.


rays boom boom room it ain't.
Reply

noraina
09-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."


http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...s-of-the-dying


Could we learn from olders and stop to think what we really want from the life - now and not when life is almost over?
This is actually really poignant, I can imagine the pain people would have felt when looking back at their life and having such regrets, subhanAllah.

Especially about working so hard, sometimes it makes me so sad how such hard-working fathers sacrifice a lot of time they could have spent with their children or wife, to give them a livelihood. It's such a difficult thing to balance....sometimes I think my Baba works too hard, when I see the grey hairs streaking through the blackness on his hair, he tries to make the time but there's only so much he can do.... at the moment I'm campaigning for him to retire when he's 50, lol.
Reply

TDWT
09-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Dunno yet
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 05:18 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 02:36 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 09:24 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!