/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dad walked in when I was praying...

Hans Thompson
02-18-2016, 05:19 PM
I was praying and my dad walked into my room. He didn't know that I had converted to Islam. Then he stopped me from praying and banned Islam from my house. He prohibits all Islamic practices in our house now. He also said that I could be on an FBI watch list and a no fly list. He also suggested that I could be recruited by Isis and he said He will disown me if I don't stop. What do I do. I want to be friendly with all religions and I want to practice Islam. He told me that islam is a religion based around violence and that everyone who isnt islamic should die... I want to be a Muslim who respects all religions and cares about people of all faith. He has never been that strong about religion to me. I dont know what to do. Help me please.

Allah baraka fiki.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kiro
02-18-2016, 06:01 PM
you already learned to pray?

bump

Kiro
02-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Maybe try to give dawah? Make dua for Allah to ease your situation and perhaps guide him.

If you cannot pray in the house than try praying in the masjids.

sister herb
02-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Salam alaykum

My advice is that you don´t practice Islam when you are in your home. You are Muslim anyways and Allah knows what you have in your heart. You can try to talk with your dad later when he calms down but don´t argue with him. As you are 15, you are still very dependent about your parents.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
02-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Don't blow up...and also,

...buy an iPhone.

Search
02-18-2016, 06:23 PM
:bism:

:sl:

Brother, I think you are based in Colorado, right? Do you think if I spoke to your father on the phone it would make a difference? Or maybe you can ask him to consider joining this Forum and we can talk to your father?

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but I can understand your father's concern. When I first started practicing Islam, my parents were worried too - they thought I'd turn into a terrorist too. Of course, that thinking is baseless and on account of a distorted image that is presented in the media, but my parents were concerned too. To be honest, I was sometimes emotionally hurt by their actions too. It's going to be okay though, bro; you have to be patient with them.

Ask Allah to open your parents' heart to Islam. In-sha-Allah (God-willing), that should make a difference. And again, you have to show the best character with them. I know it's hard, but it's the only way to have them know that you're still the you that they love and that you're only trying to beautify the inward and outward. That's the purpose of Islam, to beautify ourselves with the best of characters and manners.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had declared, “I have been sent to perfect noble character.”

When asked about the best of the believers, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, “They are those who have the best character and manners.”

:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by Hans Thompson
I was praying and my dad walked into my room. He didn't know that I had converted to Islam. Then he stopped me from praying and banned Islam from my house. He prohibits all Islamic practices in our house now. He also said that I could be on an FBI watch list and a no fly list. He also suggested that I could be recruited by Isis and he said He will disown me if I don't stop. What do I do. I want to be friendly with all religions and I want to practice Islam. He told me that islam is a religion based around violence and that everyone who isnt islamic should die... I want to be a Muslim who respects all religions and cares about people of all faith. He has never been that strong about religion to me. I dont know what to do. Help me please.

Allah baraka fiki.

Hans Thompson
02-18-2016, 08:03 PM
I have an iPhone why?

Search
02-18-2016, 08:08 PM

Hey, bro, I am concerned: Have you thought about how you're going to approach the situation? Do you think your father will be amenable to maybe joining this Forum?

I have an iPhone why?

Hans Thompson
02-18-2016, 11:00 PM
I didn't blow up... He blew up at me and also.... there is NO way I am getting him to join the forum. Anything that relates to Islam is now banned in the house. I can't do anything related to it.

Search
02-18-2016, 11:13 PM

That makes sense; I understand. Do you think he'd mind conversing with me on the phone if you told him?

I didn't blow up... He blew up at me and also.... there is NO way I am getting him to join the forum. Anything that relates to Islam is now banned in the house. I can't do anything related to it.

greenhill
02-18-2016, 11:57 PM
What is the trust level like between you and your dad?

You could approach it by telling him to give you like half hour to talk with him on this. You can tell him banning things because of 'fear' (caused by not understanding) is not healthy for either. Best to try at least have an open discussion on it.

Both of you were caught by surprise and it situation was not handled properly.

Denial does not mean it does not exist. So, he ought to talk with you.

:peace:

Hans Thompson
02-19-2016, 01:03 AM
No, no way he would. He thinks that all these "websites" I have been visiting are ISIS recruitment websites. He thinks that I am in danger. Also, I talked to my school counselor today about it. She understands and we're keeping it confidential from my dad since its banned.

Search
02-19-2016, 01:32 AM

Sorry to hear that, bro. I know it's difficult, and you feel sad. That said, you have to be patient and also find your inner strength.

You said you have step-siblings, and I'm sure if they told you something that you thought would hurt them, you'd want to stop them from hurting themselves. Similarly, your father is only doing what a responsible father would do in his place. He's wrong, of course, but his actions are coming from a place of concern and love.

Our parents always think they're right, and since we're their babies, it doesn't matter how "grown up" we think we are, they react like frightened tigers or bears when they think we're doing something wrong and instead kind of go into "attack" or "growl" mode at us, whether that involves yelling at us or grounding us or something along those lines.

Your heart is in the clear, brother, and you know that. Also, you and I both know you are not joining any kind of terrorist organization and In-sha-Allah (God-willing) your father understands that fact soon too. That said, he doesn't know that and is therefore fearing for your safety and welfare.

So, please don't be angry with him and give him a hug and tell him that you love him and you understand his concerns. I'm very proud that you didn't lose your cool with him today, as that shows obedience and goodness and as you probably know Islam requires us to treat our parents extremely well with kindness and concern and solicitation. So, show good character and manners to him. And in your dua (supplication), ask Allah to open and soften your father's heart to both letting you practice Islam freely and also for Allah to open his own heart to Islam.

These things might take time - so, in the meantime, adopt patience and maintain a positive and proactive attitude; I'm glad that you were able to take counsel from your school counselor and share with her at least your concerns; I'm sorry again to hear of your situation.

Some day, things are not going to be so bad, and look to that day. And remember Allah (God) knows your innermost intentions and heart; God knows you're a Muslim, and if your dad is not ready to hear that, it's okay because ultimately your sincerity is to Allah (God) and people need not be made aware of your heart.

No, no way he would. He thinks that all these "websites" I have been visiting are ISIS recruitment websites. He thinks that I am in danger. Also, I talked to my school counselor today about it. She understands and we're keeping it confidential from my dad since its banned.

Finding Peace
02-19-2016, 01:52 AM
As salaam brother Hans Thompson.
Your in a very tough situation, these kind of things often happen with people that convert. They often get rejected from their families, kicked out the house,... if you can't pray then make as much Dua as possible. Ask Allah for help, and we will also make dua for you. Try to go to a Masjid if there's one near you and maybe the sheikh or someone else can help you out or maybe talk to your dad. Try showing him the real Islam and not what the false of the Web shows. And Islam is loving and peaceful it's just people listen to shaytaans whisper and make it look bad, but beneath all the evil the loving religion islam is there and it will remain as long as Allah wills. If Allah guides you to the truth (islam) then know Allah loves you and he sees something good in you. Some people were the worst of people and then they found Islam and converted or people hated islam and they ended up converting after they actually understood what Islam is really about. So with that, patients is what we need. Inshallah that your dad will see Islam for the truth it holds and maybe he'll convert. So be patient and make dua. Allah is probably testing you right now, stay strong and ask for his guidance. I hope you find a solution inshallah.

Abz2000
02-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Pavlov's dogs and baby albert lol
Was just speaking about the mechanisms on another thread and felt like it was de ja vu!

Achtung! Dear Muslims

*charisma*
02-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Just treat your dad with kindness and be patient. He doesn't understand because of being influenced by the media, but hopefully with time and through your good actions you can be the stronger influence on him. I agree with keeping your faith a secret for now, but I don't think it would hurt if you discussed Islam with your dad and teaching him what you've learned about the religion. I mean you'd be a better judge on how he'd react to that, but maybe you can let him know you're interested in learning about other religions to begin with and then go from there.

Muslim Woman
02-19-2016, 12:25 PM

may Allah eases the situation for u .

U may gift him a copy of Quran , a book on Mary pbuh in Islam , Muslims love Jesus pbuh etc . Talk to him politely . Show him by your behaviour that u are a better person now after accepting Islam .

Keep praying to Allah to eases the situation for you .

emem
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM
I think you're father still loves you and for sure has thoughts also of 'wanting to understand you'. Don't completely think that just because you're a Muslim and that they are Christians is that you will have the same point of view as your fathers as of the moment that our religion Islam is evil. They still have hearts. And you being a convert had a heart back then, right? Allah(swt) opened it to the true faith. Allah(swt) loves his creation. He is most gracious, most merciful. Search is right too about all her posts. It's really nice you didn't blow up to him afterwards. If he really loves you as your father, he will accept the truth about you so I think, and I hope this doesn't get worse, that you must tell him completely honest the TRUTH. It's all about RESPECT. :D

Paprika
02-23-2016, 05:43 AM
you have to dispel the myth of Islam being violent, maybe then he will be more understanding

Muslim Woman
02-25-2016, 05:57 AM

what's the situation , bro ? Dad calmed down ?

Umm Abed
03-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Its early days still. You will need a lot of time in order for you to be understood, slowly, slowly.

Eventually he will accept that something like this (your becoming muslim) exists.

The-Deist
03-02-2016, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Its early days still. You will need a lot of time in order for you to be understood, slowly, slowly.

Eventually he will accept that something like this (your becoming muslim) exists.
I hope my Dad could accpect my leaving of Islam too if he comes to know.

Umm Abed
03-02-2016, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StrivingforDeen
I hope my Dad could accpect my leaving of Islam too if he comes to know.
It doesnt work that way, its like giving up gold for dust.

The-Deist
03-02-2016, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
It doesnt work that way, its like giving up gold for dust.
I'm just saying from my point of view.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.