/* */

PDA

View Full Version : scared to pray in public

basamasmile
02-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Salaam Aleikum!
I'm a brand new Muslim (took my Shahada yesterday), and although I'd love to be able to tell you that I do every single prayer every day, I can't. But I'm working on it, and I'm really trying to get more on top of my prayers Inshallah. Because of this, I want to keep consistent prayers (5 per day at the right time) so I can get more into the habit of always praying, even when I travel. I'm worried, because I'm going on a school trip to Florida, and I'm going to have to do a lot of praying where people can see me, like in airports or cafes or things like that. I'm really scared to be so exposed to everyone, and I worry about getting shouted at or something (never happened to me before because I don't wear hijab yet, austagfirllah). The few times I've prayed anywhere anyone could possibly see me, I get so self-consious that I can hardly concentrate on my prayers. I know that it sounds stupid, and I wish I could be more secure in my faith. How do you guys deal with traveling?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
02-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Usually when a person wears hijab for prayers if they don't wear it normally, their appearance will be very different. Not too recognisable, especially if people are not expecting you to be in one.

:peace:

Search
02-19-2016, 01:52 AM
:bism:

:sl:
Hey, sis, I sent you a PM.

Btw, you are supposed to shorten your prayers and combine them when you're travelling as Allah wants ease for us. So, basically 4-rakat (unit) prayers are shortened 2-rakats, and the rest of the prayers (namely Fajr and Maghrib, respectively 2-rakat and the latter 3-rakat) remain the same:

You should shortens the Zuhr, `Asr and `Isha prayers from 4 cycles (rak’ahs) to 2 cycles (rak’ahs). One begins shortening when one has left one’s city boundaries. [ibid] It is noteworthy to remember that one only shortens the obligatory 4 cycle (rak’ah) prayer to 2 cycles (rak’ahs) and nothing else.(SeekersHub.)
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by basamasmile
Salaam Aleikum!
I'm a brand new Muslim (took my Shahada yesterday), and although I'd love to be able to tell you that I do every single prayer every day, I can't. But I'm working on it, and I'm really trying to get more on top of my prayers Inshallah. Because of this, I want to keep consistent prayers (5 per day at the right time) so I can get more into the habit of always praying, even when I travel. I'm worried, because I'm going on a school trip to Florida, and I'm going to have to do a lot of praying where people can see me, like in airports or cafes or things like that. I'm really scared to be so exposed to everyone, and I worry about getting shouted at or something (never happened to me before because I don't wear hijab yet, austagfirllah). The few times I've prayed anywhere anyone could possibly see me, I get so self-consious that I can hardly concentrate on my prayers. I know that it sounds stupid, and I wish I could be more secure in my faith. How do you guys deal with traveling?

Muslim Woman
02-19-2016, 12:09 PM

sis , Welcome to Islam.

The more difficulties u face in this world , the more u will rewarded on the final day . So , don't worry about peoples reactions . Focus on pleasure of the Almighty .

may Allah bless u both in this world and the hereafter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Salaam Aleikum!I'm a brand new Muslim (took my Shahada yesterday), and although I'd love to be able to tell you that I do every single prayer every day, I can't. But I'm working on it, and I'm really trying to get more on top of my prayers Inshallah. Because of this, I want to keep consistent prayers (5 per day at the right time) so I can get more into the habit of always praying, even when I travel. I'm worried, because I'm going on a school trip to Florida, and I'm going to have to do a lot of praying where people can see me, like in airports or cafes or things like that. I'm really scared to be so exposed to everyone, and I worry about getting shouted at or something (never happened to me before because I don't wear hijab yet, austagfirllah). The few times I've prayed anywhere anyone could possibly see me, I get so self-consious that I can hardly concentrate on my prayers. I know that it sounds stupid, and I wish I could be more secure in my faith. How do you guys deal with traveling?
Since your new to Islam I'd not advise you to pray in public until your mentally strong to face any untoward incident.

al-Andalusi
02-19-2016, 05:44 PM

I have similar problems with praying publicly. I live in an area that is basically the epitome of conservative, protestant rural america. I'm legitimately afraid that if I was to pray in public and be seen by one of the locals, that I'd be physically attacked by them.

I'd say do what you can, and don't put yourself in danger obviously if you feel that you'd be physically harmed. Try not to worry about the judgments of people, what they think of you is irrelevant.

basamasmile
02-20-2016, 02:21 AM
uggggh. It won't let me respond until I have 50 posts. I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can, Inshallah!

basamasmile
02-20-2016, 02:23 AM
sorry, this was in reply to Search. I'm still trying to get the hang of how this website works!

strivingobserver98
02-20-2016, 03:11 AM
sorry, this was in reply to Search. I'm still trying to get the hang of how this website works!

It's 25 posts till full member. But I have made you full member early so you can reply to the PMs :).

:ia: you benefit from the help and support.

Search
02-20-2016, 03:22 AM

No problem, hun. I understand. If you want, you can talk to a moderator here and see if maybe the 50-post thing can be waived in your case - I don't know if it can be or not as I am not a moderator, but it might be worth approaching a moderator about the matter.

In-sha-Allah, things go smoothly for you. And please be patient with yourself, and remember always that Allah is always with you and Allah gave you Islam because Allah SubhanAllahwaTaala (usually abbreviated on to SWT on the Internet) (which means "Glorious and Exalted is Allah") loved you. Take care of yourself, and always remember, to be kind to yourself in the learning process and give yourself a rest as the point is to be easy on yourself and enjoy the process.

By the way, also, whenever you can, please make duas (supplications [to God]) for your family's and also any of your friends' heart to be opened to Islam because the moment you took your shahadah (testimony of faith), you became sinless and your duas will In-sha-Allah be accepted in the Divine Court of Allah.

For example, some good duas to make would be for Allah SWT to bless you with a righteous loving husband who is the "coolness of your eyes" when you are ready to marry and also for Allah to bring him to you soon and also ask Allah SWT to protect your future spouse wherever he is from temptations so that he will come to you pure of heart and love you as you deserve to be loved. Also, please make duas for Muslims worldwide to find peace from the trials and tribulations that are afflicting us. Ask Allah SWT to guide you in all your worldly affairs so that you make the best decisions for your life and are blessed and protected therein.

Barakallahu feeki (may Allah bless you).

Search
02-20-2016, 03:27 AM

Just noticed your post now - lol - and there I went typing away - hehe.

Thank you, btw.

*grinning*

format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان

It's 25 posts till full member. But I have made you full member early so you can reply to the PMs :).

:ia: you benefit from the help and support.

basamasmile
02-20-2016, 12:01 PM
That would be amazing, thanks so much!

Ammar67
02-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Wa Alaikum Assalam sister,

I've had the same concern as you and I think most other reverts have also wondered about what will people think when they see us pray; it's only natural.

Just pay attention to your surroundings, put your luggage in front of you & pick a suitable/out of the way location to do your prayers.

hisnameiszzz
02-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Salaams,

Don't put yourself in danger is all I would advise.

There was a Muslim family that came to the UK (possibly refugees) that were praying in a park and some heathen women came and urinated on / near them. Don't let anything like that happen to you. Also with the amount of Islamophobia going on, I would just be careful.

All the best.

s.ali123
04-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Sister! Just to let you know, it is not only you (new revert ma shaa Allah) who feels awkward to pray in public, even many born Muslims, who usually offer prayer, feel awkward to offer in public. It is very natural. As someone said above, I would also recommend you not to pray in public till you are little bit more grounded in your knowledge etc In shaa Allah.
As for the travelling, you can combine prayer, as someone said above. You may get more time during prayers. Then may be you will get time to offer it in private. Also remember you will get a lot of hard time as well. But never go back. Always improve yourself. Anyone who says the shahadah, goes through a lot of trial. Just be firm in your faith. Few months ago I listen to Yousuf Estes, and how much he had to go through right after his declaration of faith.
May Allah bless you sister!
BTW remember everyone of us in your prayer as well. Especially me ;) as I am facing some trouble to get VISA to marry my fiancee :P Jazakumullaho Khair.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.