/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does money matter in marriage?

anonymous
02-20-2016, 07:41 PM
:salam: How important?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Predator
02-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Islamic view is that the deen and character of the man should be deciding factor in marriage .

"If he whose character and deen (practice of religion) pleases you, approaches you in marriage, then marry him, for if you don’t, their will be fitna in the land and vast corruption."
(Tirmidhi and others, see Sunan Tirmidhi #1085 and it is hassan (reliable) as per Sahih ul-Jaami’ #270).

But Money is needed in order to support a wife and a child . If you dont have that money, you should keep yourself chaste for the rest of your life .

These days throwing lavish wedding, demanding a high salary and insane amount of mahr has become a mandatory norm because ummah is going away from the islam and the ones spreading this extravagance ,causing fitna and corruption will be judged and dealt with accordingly
by Allah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of marriage is that which is made easiest.” Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan, classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3300.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of mahrs is the simplest (or most affordable).” Narrated by al-Haakim and al-Bayhaqi, classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3279.

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to a man who wanted to get married: “Look (for something to give as a dowry), even if it is a ring of iron.” Agreed upon.

LaSorcia
02-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Money does matter to a certain extent. Too little and it can lead to stress and arguing. Too much can lead to temptation and worldliness. How much is too much or too little depends on the people involved.

Also, you can have enough when you get married, but there can be job loss or illness. Sudden prosperity can bring changes to a marriage as well. Good communication and sticking close to God can help with these situations a LOT.

ardianto
02-21-2016, 12:58 AM
:wasalamex

Money does matter in marriage because a man need money to buy his family needs.

But it doesn't mean a woman should marry only rich man and should not marry poor man. There are rich men who lost their wealth after getting married, there are men who poor when they got married but then could improve their life and becoming rich.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
02-21-2016, 01:32 AM
Any woman who would not marry you unless you were rich is utterly unworthy of benefiting from your wealth.

Iceee
02-21-2016, 01:49 AM
Salaam.

format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I'm assuming you mean how important money is when getting married?

I guess this depends on the husband and wife. Some people view money as a need in a marriage, something you need a lot of or else you will fall under hard times in the future with nothing to fall back on. Then there are others who view money as a little something that makes life easier but view the need for a spouse as more important and will get married for the sake of Allah Subhanahuwatallah and to protect themselves from Zina. (A lot of the Refugees from the Middle East are married with children and now have absolutely nothing!)

To answer your question, I think this is really cultural. Some people want to get married to a rich person while there are those that will sacrifice the luxury life they could have to be with that person they love, even though they don't have money.

So what is your answer brother? How much money do you need in your bank account when you get married?

Personally, I want to get married when I feel 100% ready, not 75% or 90%. Both financially and emotionally ready. I have paid off my student loans and am now saving up tons of money, spending time praying / learning about Islam and spending other time staying healthy at the Gym. Emotionally, I am still a young boy who likes video games and money and single life and want to buy a car and spend time with friends; I feel that I am not ready for marriage at this time. Maybe I will be in the future, maybe I won't. Only Allah knows that. Money is something I want saved when I get married and I want to get married for low cost. Money... It's important for me and my future family if I want to start a family here in Canada.

Have a quick read of this:

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
“Marriage is necessary (wajib) when having an overwhelming level of sexual desire (tawqan). If one is certain of fornicating (zina) if remained unmarried, then it would be obligatory (fard) to marry. This is when one (m: the male) is capable of paying the dowry (mahr) and maintaining a wife, otherwise one will not be sinful for not marrying…And marrying in moderate circumstances is an emphasized Sunnah (al-Mu’akkadah) according to the preferred opinion, thus one would be sinful for not marrying, and rewarded for marrying with the intention of chastity and gaining children. The meaning of “under normal circumstances” is when one has the ability to have sexual intercourse, pay the dowry (mahr) and maintain a wife…And it will be disliked (makruh) for an individual to marry who fears being unjust to their spouse, and if one is certain of being unjust, it will be unlawful (haram) to marry.”
Full article: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

azc
02-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Yes, money matters a lot in marriage. This reality of modern age society can't be ignored

'Abd-al Latif
02-21-2016, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
That's like asking how important is it to put fuel in a car.

Can you think of any possible reasons money would not matter in a marriage? Do you want to sit at home like a broke cheapskate? Take her out once in a while. Buy her a small but meaningful gift. Heck, buy some diapers for the baby and paint the town red!

Sorry - sarcasm got the better of me.

To answer your question: yes. Money is important.

ardianto
02-21-2016, 12:33 PM
I've ever found statement from a rishta auntie (matchmaker) "It would be easier (to get spouse) if the girl is beautiful and the boy is rich". Probably the OP question was inspired by statement like this, and he want to ask "How if a man want to get married, but he is not rich?".

Raptor
02-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes it is to a certain extent

Paprika
02-22-2016, 09:55 AM
seriously big time, they didn't coin that term, no money, no honey for nothing.

hisnameiszzz
02-22-2016, 01:02 PM
In Indian culture in the UK (well definitely near where I live), the first few questions that are asked to the male are: do you have a house, do you have a car, where do you work, how much do you earn and do you have money saved up.

Sad but true.

ardianto
02-22-2016, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hisnameiszzz
In Indian culture in the UK (well definitely near where I live), the first few questions that are asked to the male are: do you have a house, do you have a car, where do you work, how much do you earn and do you have money saved up.

Sad but true.
In Indonesia the girl parent do not ask about the wealth that a guy have. But they ask how he get his wealth. The value of a guy who has something from his own effort of course far higher than the value of a guy who just inherit what his parents give.

burstingspace
02-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Money doesnt matter as much as how good the person is. If it was between an extremely faithful kind, humble poor person, or rich arrogant person, the poor one wins.

Umm Abed
03-03-2016, 09:14 AM
No money, no work, no pay. The money shall rain down from the skies!!

Sorry but I couldnt help it, lol.:giggling:

Houssam
03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Money is not important in this, I think the important thing is morality And conviction. And the Prophet Muhammad sala allaho alayhi wasalam , Unity about this stuff, and I think that everything is clear .

SSHorror
03-05-2016, 07:09 PM
It shouldn't but for many, of course, it does. In many cultures you have people who only marry for marriage.

I have heard that in Thailand, many women just look for a rich foreigner because marrying him ensures that they can look after their families. Whilst it's easy for us to look at such women and judge, when we examine their economy and where these women come from (often poor villages) it's easy to see why they would throw themselves into such marriages because sometimes the only alternative they have is prostitution.

However even in better developed countries like here in the UK or America, there are many of those who would only consider marrying someone because of their wealth and status.

Zahiba
03-22-2016, 02:29 AM
Enough to be able to provide for your spouse, yourself and your children

By provide I mean the basics - food, clothes, bills, keeping a roof over your head. then there is travel and education

I know its the husbands duty but the wife should find a way to at least help him budget the money if she can't make her own so that they never run into debt.

sadly of course nowadays some people take it too far and spend the wrong way, or overspend - big wedding, huge mahr, constant holidays, maybe wife or children want expensive shopping sprees. yes if you can afford it thats fine but always be smart with your money and never let it get to your head. don't spend what you don't have, especially if you're doing it as a desperate act to make your spouse or child like you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.