/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jesus as Messiah

Sojourn
03-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Peace to you all,

What is the Islamic understanding of the title "Messiah" as it is applied to Jesus in the Quran? I am looking for a strictly Islamic understanding, outside of Jewish or Christian sources.

Sojourn

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sojourn
03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
What does Jesus being messiah mean to Muslims?

sofianeabi
03-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Jesus is the one who will return on the last days and will together with the imam Al Mahdi slay the antichrist and rule as just and final king of the earth. He will perish all the bad things and will establish peace on the earth.

If you compare with Jewish and Christian perspectives you'll see that the only things different are Jews who don't believe Jesus is the messiah and Christians who believe he is God. Either way the messiah in Islam will do similar things if not almost exactly the same as the other ahl Al kitab scripture says

Sojourn
03-21-2016, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sofianeabi
Jesus is the one who will return on the last days and will together with the imam Al Mahdi slay the antichrist and rule as just and final king of the earth. He will perish all the bad things and will establish peace on the earth.

If you compare with Jewish and Christian perspectives you'll see that the only things different are Jews who don't believe Jesus is the messiah and Christians who believe he is God. Either way the messiah in Islam will do similar things if not almost exactly the same as the other ahl Al kitab scripture says
Yes but messiah is a Hebrew title that means the anointed one. For the Jews and Christians it held certain expectations. That the quran confirms this title on Jesus is fascinating and I'm not sure Muslims understand its full implication.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
03-21-2016, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sojourn
Yes but messiah is a Hebrew title that means the anointed one. For the Jews and Christians it held certain expectations. That the quran confirms this title on Jesus is fascinating and I'm not sure Muslims understand its full implication.
Anointed, in the strictly biblical sense of the Israeli people, does mean to be Anointed with holy oil on the forehead...

what is interesting is that in Islamic prophcy about his return, it mentions the following:

Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all the people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The Prophets are brothers of the same father with different mothers, and their religion is one. I am the closest in relationship to Jesus, the son of Mary, because there was no prophet between him and me.

Jesus will descend. If you see him, then know him. He is a man of a moderately ruddy complexion. He will be wearing two faintly yellow garments. His hair will seem to have drops of water upon it, even though it will not be wet.

He will strive with the people for Islam. He will break the cross, kill the swine, and abolish the poll-tax. Allah will make all sects to come to an end during his time except Islam, and Allah will cause the Antichrist to perish.

Jesus will live for forty years, and then he shall die. The Muslims will conduct his (funeral) prayer and bury him. [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (4324) and Musnad Ahmad (8902)]

What do you make of that?

crookedrib
03-21-2016, 02:44 AM
Messiah in Arabic is masih which is how its mentioned in the Qur'aan. It has seveal meanings in Arabic:

Many reasons have been givenby the Mufassirs (exegetes) as to why the title of Masih is attributed to Jesus. Imam Tabari has cited that Masih is from the root word Ma-sa-ha which has various meanings and can be used in different contexts to offer diverse meanings, it can also play numerous roles in many different contexts.Ma-sa-ha means to stroke with the hand; to wipe off; wipe away; to rub off; to wash; to wash off; to wipe out, blot out, erase; to clean; to polish; to smooth, smooth with a plane and to plane.
The word Ma-sa-ha can also be used jointly with (bi) i.e. ( masaha bihi), which changes its meaning to : ‘to rub with’ or ‘to anoint’.
Ma-sa-ha can also be used in conjunction with (min), which means to deprive, dispossess, take away or withdraw. These are the most commonly associated meanings of the word Ma-sa ha. It is also used for other definitions which in total come to more than thirty. It is due to this large list of interpretations that scholars have differed on the reason for Jesus being named Masih, of which the most common and widely used are as follows :

1. Imam Tabari(d.310/888)has stated, "Masih is from Masaha, which means to rub and erase as Jesus’ sins were erased and rubbed off."
    2. Imam Qurtubi has stated, "Masih is from Ma-sa-ha which means to anoint as Jesus was the anointed one."
    3. Imam Qurtubi has stated,"Masih is from the root word Ma-sa-ha, in the sense of ‘to clean’ and ‘to clear’. As Jesus dealt with people in a true, clear and just manner he is known as Masih, the Arabic translation of which would be As-Siddiq The Truthful One."
    4. Imam Qurtubi has stated, "The word Ma-sa-ha also includes the definition of ‘wiping away’ and as Jesus came with the message of God and Guidance to wipe away falsehood, infidelity."
    5. Imam Qurtubi has stated, "Masih in this case has the meaning of Mamsuh, which is an object according to Arabic grammar and refers to Barakah i.e. blessing. Therefore, the whole wording ismamsuhun bil barakati"touched with blessing," as Jesus was showered with great blessings.
    6. Imam Ibn Kathir(d.774/1352) has stated that. "The word Ma-sa-ha also offers the meaning of ‘stroking’. As Jesus was able to cure the blind and the leper by stroking them, he is named Masih (being able to cure by stroking).

These are a few views from the extensive list given by scholars. I will limit it to these as they are the most common and widely shared conceptions. But that which becomes obvious from the above definitions, is the high status conferred upon of I`sa u by Allah. All the meanings are commendable and honourable, all of them are worthy of bestowal upon I`sa u, due to his elevated status.
http://www.inter-islam.org/Biographies/Hazisa53.html

Zafran
03-21-2016, 03:45 AM
Its well known that Christians and Jews dont agree with each other on the messiah. However as said before Islam Sees Jesus pbuh as the messiah like christain but agrees with the Jews that the messiah isnt God.

Sojourn
03-29-2016, 06:40 AM
I am not a follower of Muhammad, rather I am a Christian and an outsider to your deen. Yet I often see the Quran appropriating titles without every explaining them. It doesn't make sense to say Jesus was the Messiah and yet say Muhammad was a prophet after Jesus. This is why I ask how Messiah is understood according to the Quran and hadith.

anatolian
04-04-2016, 09:08 PM
I am not a follower of Muhammad, rather I am a Christian and an outsider to your deen. Yet I often see the Quran appropriating titles without every explaining them. It doesn't make sense to say Jesus was the Messiah and yet say Muhammad was a prophet after Jesus. This is why I ask how Messiah is understood according to the Quran and hadith.
Peace Sojourn.

"Masih the son of Mary was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how Allah doth make His signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth!" (5:75)

This ayah answers your question I think. Massiah was just a prophet. Nothing more.

But your observation regarding Muhammed a.s... Masih Isa a.s. was the Messiah of the house of Israel. He was sent for only Israel. But Muhammed a.s. sent as a final prophet for all mankind. No prophet before him including Isa Masih sent for all mankind but only to their nations. This is the reason of the coming of Muhammed a.s.

M.I.A.
04-05-2016, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar
Anointed, in the strictly biblical sense of the Israeli people, does mean to be Anointed with holy oil on the forehead...

what is interesting is that in Islamic prophcy about his return, it mentions the following:

Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all the people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The Prophets are brothers of the same father with different mothers, and their religion is one. I am the closest in relationship to Jesus, the son of Mary, because there was no prophet between him and me.

Jesus will descend. If you see him, then know him. He is a man of a moderately ruddy complexion. He will be wearing two faintly yellow garments. His hair will seem to have drops of water upon it, even though it will not be wet.

He will strive with the people for Islam. He will break the cross, kill the swine, and abolish the poll-tax. Allah will make all sects to come to an end during his time except Islam, and Allah will cause the Antichrist to perish.

Jesus will live for forty years, and then he shall die. The Muslims will conduct his (funeral) prayer and bury him. [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (4324) and Musnad Ahmad (8902)]

What do you make of that?

..reminds me why I stay away from most Hadith's.

Pretty much goes against the Quran twice in one sentence.. Although I'm a layman.

..the gospal of Thomas it ain't... I just googled the gospel of and googly did the rest.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.